Would this be a practical idea for an application? How would i go about coding it?

babadoctor

I want to make an application that allows you to support your favorite game developer or youtuber without having to spend money!

You may ask, how do you intend to do that?

i want to make a program that allows you to share rendering workloads with others, so they can help you render a video that is taking a long time to render :D Or a videogame, or anything that might be taking a while to render on your potatoPC (kind of like folding@home, but with specific workloads like sony vegas, etc..)

I really really want to code this, as if i can make it a client sided thing that you would have to port forward through a port and install on your computer and your friend would have to install it

How the hell would i go about coding this though??

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

TL;DR Folding at home type app that helps work out payloads from not the folding at home people but your own rendering troubles

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

I think internet bandwidth might make this less viable than it initially sounds (LMG has 20gb for a reason), and it would also involve the distribution of the creator's assets, which they might not want. Also, it would essentially require you to program a rendering engine, which while not impossible, seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

distributed rendering isnt even possible on a local network

lol

unless youre one of the best programmers in the world I highly doubt you will have any possibility of even making an image get rendered on another PC...

it is far more complicated than you think it is

start with something smaller, and then try moving to more complex projects like this

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol

unless youre one of the best programmers in the world I highly doubt you will have any possibility of even making an image get rendered on another PC...

start with something smaller, and then try moving to more complex projects like this

okay ):

i wonder if this will ever exist in the future ):

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

lol

Then explain all of Pixars movies

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Then explain all of Pixars movies

fQj0j97.gif

okay ):

i wonder if this will ever exist in the future ):

There would literally be no reason - by time any footage transferred over the internet, the render would have been done on a local PC. Distributed computing is only efficient for certain applications. A complete waste of time for everything else.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

lol

To be honest it wouldn't be that hard to make a distributed rendering program since rendering is a task that is embarrassingly parallel. All you would have to do is break up the image into many discreet sub images which you would then send a job to each computer with a copy of the resources that are needed for that particular sub image. No further communication is necessary until the job is finished. The data would then be sent back to the "master" computer.

In fact many programs that do any sort of non interactive rendering basically do exactly this. (minus the networking part for ones that don't have networked rendering)

Cinebench for example, does exactly what I described. Each box is independent of each other and is given to a specific core for rendering.

Blender, Maya, 3DS Max (not sure of any otheres since those are the three that I have experience with.) all support networked distributed rendering with what I described above. Frame is broken into subframes then sent to many computers which then render the sub frame which then gets sent back to the master which pieces it all back together.

Its clearly far less complicated than you think it is. ;)

If the op is new to programming it would be difficult however for anyone who has experience this would be an extremely feasible idea.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

There would literally be no reason - by time any footage transferred over the internet, the render would have been done on a local PC. Distributed computing is only efficient for certain applications. A complete waste of time for everything else.

Depends on how complex the render is. You forget that each frame has predetermined movements and such. You could easily break up a frame into subframes and send those to clients.

Do you have more clients then there are current subframes then breakup the next frame into subframes and send those tasks out. (So on and so forth.)

Some renders can take months to complete (or years on a super computer like big hero 6) so you can most definitely have time to send data across the internet. Would it be worth sending rendering a video across the internet for a render that would only take like a half hour on a local machine absolutely not but that doesn't mean that render@home would be useless.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Blender, a free open source 3d modeling software, has a plugin that allows you to slave computers on your network to render the image. The way blender renders the image normally, is it splits it into predefined squares, measured in pixels and you can change the size, and then has each cup core render one at a time. If you have a gpu, the gpu is treated a as a one core cup, only we all know it goes way faster. So the network render let's you slave computers on your network, and each one will get one of those little squares to work on. I've not used it, but since I'm setting up a server maybe I will at some point.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

and you think a content creator who has a powerful 5960X or whatever wants to send his data to many users so they can render it on their weak PCs and potentially see the content before it is released or maybe even modify the content to insert unwanted images?

yeah no. not gonna happen.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

http://burp.renderfarming.net/

Sorry, but you're wrong, Enderman.

renders videos?

Spoiler

Nobody mentioned BURP, but I appreciate the unnecessary sarcasm.

someone already already proved me wrong earlier, thats what i meant

Ok but can you find a distributed rendering program for video? not BOINC or whatever, actual video files that need to be rendered into a final project

Spoiler

(nice edit^)

Blender does video, so you can split that up as well. It's just a matter of implementing that into video-specific software, which they typically don't want to use their resources on since only a fraction of users are going to use it.

I'm also not sure you've understood what BOINC is, or you need to define "actual video files" to me because I don't understand how Blender's rendering isn't actual video.

Edited; Added the last sentence.

actual video files = program uses the premier or sony vegas save file to create a full video

still, no content creator would ever give pieces of his work to random users on the web for them to tamper with

Spoiler

Blender does make actual video files. It has a full-fledged video sequence editor.

I'm a content creator, and I do exactly that, so your argument is invalid.

so youre telling me that blender can take a .veg file and render it on multiple PCs by sending those PCs the video files it needs from the host computer?

Spoiler

Of course it doesn't take take a .veg file when .veg files are exclusive to Sony Vegas. That's like asking paint to open photoshop files. Those files are exclusive to that platform.

When you record a video it doesn't spew out a .veg file either, it spews out an .avi or mp4 file, which you then import to your preffered video editor (for example, sony vegas) which then saves as a .veg file. Your final render in Sony Vegas should also not spew out a .veg file.

oh so now youre saying that the project files need to be made with blender for blender to be able to render it on multiple PCs?

i have never heard of any professional content creator using blender to edit their videos...only vegas and premier

Spoiler

oh so now youre saying that the project files need to be made with blender for blender to be able to render it on multiple PCs?

i have never heard of any professional content creator using blender to edit their videos...only vegas and premier

OP is back

Sony Vegas has .veg files. Blender has .blend files. Both can take video files and render them. What part of this is difficult to understand?

I'll try and elaborate a little bit. Let's take that paint/photoshop example again but let's not use paint as it doesn't have any proprietary files, let's use Paint.NET which uses .pdn files.

Let's say you have two .png images you need to merge together in some way. Photoshop can do this. Paint.NET can do this. You open it in Paint.NET, and you have to go eat before you're done doing your editing so you save your work. It wants to save in a .pdn file because it contains information about layers and filters that Paint.NET needs to be able to read next time it opens the file again. It can't store that information in a .png file, so it creates a .pdn file that it can store whatever information it wants in. Photoshop does this too. Photoshop has their own files to store information about layers and filters in when you save your work. These files are different, Paint.NET will read the file differently than Photoshop, that's why they can't read each others files. You come back from eating and finish your work, and save the finished image as a .png files. Photoshop can open that .png file and do more work later should you want to use that rather than Paint.NET.

Paint.NET can read .pdn files it creates for itself. No other image-editing software, without additional plugins, can read that .pdn file.

Photoshop can read .psd files it creates for itself. Photoshop however is more widely used, so other image-editing softwares can import it, and then use it's own standard.

For example, Paint.NET has an optional third-party plugin that allows it to import .psd files.

Do you understand now?

Also, Sony Vegas is outdated software at this point, Adobe Premier and After Effects is the new thing.

but what i wanted to do would make a GUI friendly program that could act as an add on for after effects, blender, sony vegas pro

You're approaching this entirely wrong. Take a step back and ask yourself what do you want to make first of all. Is there a need that needs to be filled?

Well... i thought it would be cool... to program something that could help render large files... 

):

it wasnt really a large scale project

more like something for me and my friends and anyone who really wanted it

Sony Vegas has .veg files. Blender has .blend files. Both can take video files and render them. What part of this is difficult to understand?

honestly i dont think you understand how video editing works...

when you edit a video you put multiple clips together

the output is a project file such as .veg for example

when you render this project file, you get the video which is all the clips edited together the way you want

your said yourself you cant render a .veg file with blender

so that means to get a .blend file you need to use blender to edit your clips

and no, youre not going to see any content creator use blender to edit their videos

so then you either edit and render with vegas/premier, or you edit and render with blender

i have only ever heard of blender being used as a modeling program, and not a professional video editing suite

so why would anyone want to use blender to edit videos?

Spoiler

when you render this project file, you get the video which is all the clips edited together the way you want

and no, youre not going to see any content creator use blender to edit their videos

so then you either edit and render with vegas/premier, or you edit and render with blender

i have only ever heard of blender being used as a modeling program, and not a professional video editing suite

Because they want to render it faster...

You edit short sequences involving heavy cgi in blender and those must be rendered before they can be used in premier. So actually tons of professionals render video in blender.

Also, more importantly in disproving your claim. Adobe premier has the ability to render over a network. check this link to find out more  - https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/automated-rendering-network-rendering.html#network_rendering_with_watch_folders_and_render_engines

You edit short sequences involving heavy cgi in blender and those must be rendered before they can be used in premier. So actually tons of professionals render video in blender.

Also, more importantly in disproving your claim. Adobe premier has the ability to render over a network. check this link to find out more  - https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/automated-rendering-network-rendering.html#network_rendering_with_watch_folders_and_render_engines

wait a second...

i remember that before i upgraded to 10.9.5 on my mac from 10.8.4, it had an option for xgrid...

isnt xgrid distributive processing?

Because they want to render it faster...

no, they already have a PC more powerful than 99% of people, and nobody is going to switch video editors from something they know extremely well to some other tool just to have 5 minutes shorter rendering time

Did you read anything I said or are you just too dense to understand it?

I can't argue for something when you're not even willing to try and understand it.

Both Blender and Sony Vegas can edit and render video files. When you save a project in Blender, it saves as .blend (not a video file format) because it contains information exclusive to Blender. When you save in Sony Vegas, it saves in .veg (not a video file format) because it contains information exclusive to Sony Vegas.

Both Blender and Sony vegas will render to a video file format.

Please, for the love of all that is good on earth, understand this. 

I dont think you know the difference between transcoding and rendering

You render the .veg or .blend file

But you know how you make that file in the first place?

By VIDEO EDITING in a VIDEO EDITOR like premier

adobe-premiere-pro-11-700x403.png

we arent talking about rendering over a network here...thats not an issue

the thing is (if you had been paying attention to the OP) is DISTRIBUTED RENDERING

aka rendering ONE file on MANY different people's computers

Spoiler

Speak for yourself. Quite frankly, how will you ever learn anything new if you stick to what you know?

What's your point? Blender is a video editor. Sony Vegas is a video editor. Blender can render, Sony Vegas can render.

Rendering over network is exactly distributed rendering. You're distributing the render process over a network.

Jesus, dude.

1) again, i have never seen any content creator use blender instead of after effects or premier pro

clearly there is a good reason to not use it

2) i thought blender was just for modeling, my bad

never used it myself

3) yeah i see what you mean, i thought you meant rendering over a network on someone elsess computer, not hundreds of different peoples computers

4) so til blender can do distributed rendering and still content creators dont use it

can you explain to me why?

maybe why linus is using a different program instead of blender?

Spoiler