How Much does Room temperature Matter?

I am building my first ever PC and u want to know a tip for overclocking. My room can go down to as low as 15 C° in the winter and as hot as 25° in the summer. Will that affect the CPU and GPU temperatures drastically?

It will affect them by a minimum of 10C (from 15C to 25C). Basically, the cooler ambient temps are, the cooler your components temps should be. You can never go below the ambient temps without active cooling (physically cooling the components, rather than just transferring heat away from them).

As for how much it affects clocks, it can depend on the individual part. Cooler temps don't certainly mean better clocks. 

These temperatures won't affect your PC at all. Just ensure that you have balanced airflow in your system (number of intakes roughly equal number of exhaust) to keep the hot air out and enough fresh air in.

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

yes, it does affect it quite a bit, but my room is normally in the 28-30 degrees Celsius range and i can OC good enough lol

The room temp is the base temp for which your system will operate.  If your CPU idles at 50c in the summer, while the ambient temps are 25c, then in the winter, you can probably count on having an idle temp of 40c.  (Room temp +25c).  Just an example.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Your CPU & GPU will run hotter than the ambient temperature of your room under any kind of load so in reality even the ambient room air will still be cooler than the component its cooling.

In reality it makes very little difference unless your ambient temperatures are extreme.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It will be affected, but won`t be really noticeable

when i brought my PC up to Georgia it was much cooler there than here in south Florida and my idle temps were more around 20 rather than the 35-40 in florida. in the summer an idle of 50 sometimes too 

lol, sometimes it's hard to believe this is a pc tech forum.....   :blink:

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

when i brought my PC up to Georgia it was much cooler there than here in south Florida and my idle temps were more around 20 rather than the 35-40 in florida. in the summer an idle of 50 sometimes too 

his room temps aren`t that far apart though and 35-40 is really, really high

to game or not to game, that`s the question

i know. it sits around there. my room temps are very high.

i know. it sits around there. my room temps are very high.

aint nice for your PC, but for the human body? seems like heaven 

10c is 18f difference in room temps.  15c is quite chilly.  25c is comfortable in the summer though.  The difference in those temps WILL affect system temps....measurably.

Air cooled PCs can only be as cool as room temperature, they will never reach that level so it doesn't really matter. The only way it matters is the room will be a bit hotter which may annoy you.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

pretty much

10c is 18f difference in room temps.  15c is quite chilly.  25c is comfortable in the summer though.  The difference in those temps WILL affect system temps....measurably.

But I meant to say that he won`t really notice it, temps changing is also measureable, for normal use? not noticeable. It`s not like he`s gonna go hams on OC`ing

10c when overclocking is a HUGE difference.  "hams" or not.  lol

10c when overclocking is a HUGE difference.  "hams" or not.  lol

Have you actually tested this yourself? While yes, 10C is huge difference in temps. But if you OC with air cooling when ambient is 15C, you can still only go so far before volt limit and silicon lottery comes into play. And 10C raise in temps after that OC isn't going to do much. 25C is quite normal room temp. Under OC stress testing you go up to 80-90C. In gaming and high CPU loads, real temps are still under 75C. So ofc if you run stress test in summer and winter, you can go further in winter. But in the end it doesn't matter for CPU temps when using it in normal situations.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Have you actually tested this yourself? While yes, 10C is huge difference in temps. But if you OC with air cooling when ambient is 15C, you can still only go so far before volt limit and silicon lottery comes into play. And 10C raise in temps after that OC isn't going to do much. 25C is quite normal room temp. Under OC stress testing you go up to 80-90C. In gaming and high CPU loads, real temps are still under 75C. So ofc if you run stress test in summer and winter, you can go further in winter. But in the end it doesn't matter for CPU temps when using it in normal situations.

He asked very specifically about overclocking, and if the difference in his room temps would make a difference.  The answer, very simply, is YES.  Ambient room temps are the base temp for your system.  It's where everything starts.  If you start higher, your peak temps are going to be higher.  If you start lower, your peak temps will be lower.  This is pretty easy to understand.  lol

He asked very specifically about overclocking, and if the difference in his room temps would make a difference.  The answer, very simply, is YES.  Ambient room temps are the base temp for your system.  It's where everything starts.  If you start higher, your peak temps are going to be higher.  If you start lower, your peak temps will be lower.  This is pretty easy to understand.  lol

I wasn't arguing against that. But way you put it and way you use "lol" at end of every post makes me think that you either think this is just stupid question with obvious answer. Or that you just plainly don't appreciate others.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I wasn't arguing against that. But way you put it and way you use "lol" at end of every post makes me think that you either think this is just stupid question with obvious answer. Or that you just plainly don't appreciate others.

Probably a little bit of both.....

I am building my first ever PC and u want to know a tip for overclocking. My room can go down to as low as 15 C° in the winter and as hot as 25° in the summer. Will that affect the CPU and GPU temperatures drastically?

TlDr; yes, you can't cool a CPU below ambient temps on conventional cooling (air or water) unless you have LN2 and a chiller connected to your CPU loop or even phase cooling.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Probably both lol.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

• 4 years later...
On 1/13/2016 at 9:39 PM, UnlimitedTMD said:

I prefer to call it hell, with a room temp of 30c I can't sleep at night

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)