Minecraft gets very high FPS, but still looks choppy. (READ BEFORE POSTING!)

JoeCoke

Sigh... Okay. I've made a topic about this before and it went nowhere. People kept giving me the same answers over and over, even though I told them how those weren't the issues. I do appreciate anybody who takes the time to try and help, but please read the post thoroughly before posting.

Okay, lemme start. About a year ago my system had a FX 8320 and a 9800gt (I know, it's a retarded system, but I was upgrading one piece at a time) and minecraft ran at like 100 FPS minimum (Like 300 most of the time) and looked amazingly smooth at all times. About 4 months ago I switched to a 770 2GB and all my games ran like ten times better... Except Minecraft. It looks like absolute shit now, even though the FPS is through the roof. And yes, I've tried limiting it, it does nothing.

Please read this stuff too before you post.

Do NOT say it's a CPU bottleneck, because:

1. It ran perfect with the same CPU and a different GPU.

2. My CPU usage is incredibly low when I play this game.

Do NOT say it's the VRAM, because without shaders it barely even touches my VRAM and with shaders it only uses half.

Do NOT say it's a bad GPU, because other games run amazingly smooth. Shadow of Mordor runs at around 90 FPS with maxed out settings at 900p.

Please, I'm so desperate here. I've tried every trick in the book and it still looks choppy. Sometimes it looks smooth, but most of the time it looks choppy. I never drop under 400 FPS. I've tried limiting the FPS to 60, I've tried VSync (Same thing basically), i've tried so many damn things. Whoever can solve this problem is the most amazing person on this forum. Thanks for reading.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

It's your RAM, without the V. Look into allocating more, allocate like 4 GB. This will most likely solve your problem. :) (first-hand experience :))

EDIT: and why would this happen? Well, the GT 9800 probably was the bottleneck for minecraft. The GTX 770 removed that bottleneck, afterwhich allocated RAM became the bottleneck. If you remove this bottleneck, the "bottleneck" will become Minecraft/Java itself (I think). :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

it's frame-time variance, not frame-rate variance.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

minecraft's vsync is really dumb, from my experience its better to either force vsync on the nvidia driver settings (dont ask why its better that way, it somehow just is) or limit minecraft to 100-120fps.

have you tried re-installing minecraft?

Three times. :(

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Cap your fps to your monitors refresh rate in game. Probably 60-100fps, then report back on any changes.

And if it makes you feel better, both my home gaming rig and lan rig stutter on minecraft mod packs in certain areas, even though their both i7 4790k's, a fury x in one, and cfx 390's in the other.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Three times. :(

And you have drivers for your card? How much system RAM does Minecraft use/have allocated to it?

minecraft's vsync is really dumb, from my experience its better to either force vsync on the nvidia driver settings (dont ask why its better that way, it somehow just is) or limit minecraft to 100-120fps.

It's your RAM, without the V. Look into allocating more, allocate like 4 GB. This will most likely solve your problem. :) (first-hand experience :))

EDIT: and why would this happen? Well, the GT 9800 probably was the bottleneck for minecraft. The GTX 770 removed that bottleneck, afterwhich allocated RAM became the bottleneck. If you remove this bottleneck, the "bottleneck" will become Minecraft/Java itself (I think). :)

Just did both of those things. I'll let you know how it goes after I test it for a little. Thanks. :)

Cap your fps to your monitors refresh rate in game. Probably 60-100fps, then report back on any changes.

minecraft's in-game vsync is shyte, dont even come near using it.

that'd be the case if he wasnt running at a bajillion fps, minecraft's ram usage doesnt scale with fps in any notable amount. somehow someone made up the myth that minecraft only needs ram to run, and more ram means more fpses...

vanilla minecraft without a texture pack should run just fine on 1GB ram allocated, allocating 4GB is beyond crazy if you arent doing things to the game beyond what its initial intentions were. (high res textures, tons of mods, etc.)

that'd be the case if he wasnt running at a bajillion fps, minecraft's ram usage doesnt scale with fps in any notable amount. somehow someone made up the myth that minecraft only needs ram to run, and more ram means more fpses...

vanilla minecraft without a texture pack should run just fine on 1GB ram allocated, allocating 4GB is beyond crazy if you arent doing things to the game beyond what its initial intentions were. (high res textures, tons of mods, etc.)

Minecraft is a game that basically uses all your parts, CPU, GPU, and RAM. Yes, it also needs your GPU. Especially running at a really high framerate can use up your GPU quickly.

I have no texture packs, and no mods either. I currently have 4 Minecraft clients open, of which 3 use over 2GB of RAM. 1 Uses about 1.8-1.9 GB. My render distance is only at 10 chunks, because I otherwise would run out of memory, with 5 clients opened. Also, I sometimes could get over 3.5GB off of one client, still without any mods and texture packs ;)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

did you install any strange mods that may have been too demanding? Or did you combine a lot of them together? Multiple mods can make minecraft very unstable

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Minecraft is a game that basically uses all your parts, CPU, GPU, and RAM. Yes, it also needs your GPU. Especially running at a really high framerate can use up your GPU quickly.

I have no texture packs, and no mods either. I currently have 4 Minecraft clients open, of which 3 use over 2GB of RAM. 1 Uses about 1.8-1.9 GB. My render distance is only at 10 chunks, because I otherwise would run out of memory, with 5 clients opened. Also, I sometimes could get over 3.5GB off of one client, still without any mods and texture packs ;)

trust me, i have plenty of experience. its generally better to find the sweet spot on ram to allocate, to stop wasting cpu power on either too many small, or too little big garbage cycles.

trust me, i have plenty of experience. its generally better to find the sweet spot on ram to allocate, to stop wasting cpu power on either too many small, or too little big garbage cycles.

But how do you think I should do it then?

Do NOT say it's a CPU bottleneck, because:

1. It ran perfect with the same CPU and a different GPU.

2. My CPU usage is incredibly low when I play this game.

Not saying it's a CPU bottleneck, but was that statement regarding total CPU usage or each core individually.

It was just a matter of allocating more RAM to the game. Regardless of whether your system can handle it or not, if the settings are high enough that it requires more RAM than is allocated to Java, then no matter what you do the game will stutter as it swaps data in and out of memory.

Tried both, it still looks choppy. At this rate I'm gonna install the 9800GT in my system and use it just for Minecraft (If possible). Isn't it funny that the 9800GT runs Minecraft better than my 770? Wtf.

Not saying it's a CPU bottleneck, but was that statement regarding total CPU usage or each core individually.

It's using four cores and all four of those cores never go above 50%.

It was just a matter of allocating more RAM to the game. Regardless of whether your system can handle it or not, if the settings are high enough that it requires more RAM than is allocated to Java, then no matter what you do the game will stutter as it swaps data in and out of memory.

Tried that already. :(

did you install any strange mods that may have been too demanding? Or did you combine a lot of them together? Multiple mods can make minecraft very unstable

It does it in vanilla Minecraft too.

It does it in vanilla Minecraft too.

but have you tried uninstalling those? may help?

but have you tried uninstalling those? may help?

All I use is optifine and shaders, and yes I tried deleting them.

All I use is optifine and shaders, and yes I tried deleting them.

do you have any screenshots?

do you have any screenshots?

Screenshots as in screenshot Minecraft versions?

No, right now I only have four versions. 1.8, 1.8 forge (With 2 mods) 1.8.3 and 1.8.3 Optifine.