Adaptive Sync vs. Freesync vs. Gsync

InTechsicated
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Adaptive-Sync is not the same as Adaptive V-Sync.

Adaptive V-Sync is an NVIDIA feature which enables V-Sync when you are above your monitor's refresh rate, but disables it when you are below. It does not sync the monitor to the GPU's frame output like FreeSync/G-Sync do.

I recently bought the ASUS MG278, its a 27' 1440p 144hz TN panel with Freesync; however, I currently have an Nvidia GPU. So I went into the Nvidia control panel and enabled the adaptive sync and I cannot tell the difference between AVsync and Freesync. So is Freesync and Gsync just the marketed terms for an already available feature with newer monitors and GPU's (It would explain why there is so little literature on Adaptive sync) or I am completely wrong in assuming they would try to cash in on the new VESA standard.

Handing out TechRx's

you cannot because you cannot use Free-sync.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you cannot because you cannot use Free-sync.

That did not address my question at all.

Handing out TechRx's

adaptive sync in your nvidia control panel is something totaly different. you cannot use the freesync (adaptive sync VESA) of your monitor with nvidia cards. 

I have a PC that utilizes Freesync BTW, my wife games on an R9 390 and an Acer Monitor that supports freesync. I see no difference between her gaming experience and my own.

Handing out TechRx's

I have a PC that utilizes Freesync BTW, my wife games on an R9 390 and an Acer Monitor that supports freesync. I see no difference between her gaming experience and my own.

This is Freesync in an earlier form.  I believe it has gotten better.  GSync is a more capable technology, but you pay for it.

Adaptive V-Sync is an NVIDIA feature which enables V-Sync when you are above your monitor's refresh rate, but disables it when you are below. It does not sync the monitor to the GPU's frame output like FreeSync/G-Sync do.

Why would you buy that monitor knowing its free sync and you have a nvidia gpu?

Because Gsync is overpriced and I have zero complaints with the monitor or its performance. Plus the access to multiple inputs is essential for the kind of workflow I have at my desk. Nearly all gsync monitors are limited to a single input DP.

Handing out TechRx's

Because Gsync is overpriced and I have zero complaints with the monitor or its performance. Plus the access to multiple inputs is essential for kind workflow I have at my desk. Nearly all gsync monitors are limited to a single input DP.

Glenwig addressed your question properly.  Adaptive Sync is what both FreeSync and G-Sync utilize.  Adaptive V-Sync is something else entirely.

Adaptive V-Sync is an NVIDIA feature which enabled V-Sync when you are above your monitor's refresh rate, but disables it when you are below. It does not sync the monitor to the GPU's frame output like FreeSync/G-Sync do.

Fair enough, I appreciate the info. I'm just really disappointed that Freesync is not nearly the big deal it was made out to be, and I can only assume that Gsync being even more expensive is only a bigger let down.

Handing out TechRx's

Fair enough, I appreciate the info. I'm just really disappointed that Freesync is not nearly the big deal it was made out to be, and I can only assume that Gsync being even more expensive is only a bigger let down.

Have you used FreeSync? If you have an NVIDIA card, it sounds like you haven't actually been able to use it at all, you've just been using Adaptive V-Sync which is not the same as I said.

Have you used FreeSync? If you have an NVIDIA card, it sounds like you haven't actually been able to use it at all, you've just been using Adaptive V-Sync which is not the same as I said.

I have a comment earlier in the thread that explains my use of freesync. My wife uses a computer with an r9 390 and Acer Freesync monitor.

Handing out TechRx's

I question whether it was actually on because gsync and freesync make a noticeable difference in games especially in the 40-60fps range. The removal of the stutter is very obvious.

• 1 year later...

I am pretty sure all of these people that are saying you can't do it are wrong. I have a Nvidia 1070 with latest drivers and just bought an LG 60hz 4k monitor with freesync. 
I was playing ME Andromeda in 4k with extremely choppy frames, dips to 20 frequently and an average of like 35. I enabled freesync on the monitor and the gameplay became butter smooth. 
I've used nvidia's adaptive sync option previously and did not see nearly the performance. In fact, my impression when I was testing it was that it worked worse than vysync with triple buffering, on my 1080p 60hz plain old insignia. 

Now, amd's freesync requres no hardware support to work. Why shouldn't it work with Nvidia cards? Driver issues?
The answer is that amds freesync is supported de facto in the display port standard, which is what I use. So I'm guessing freesync is working for me because it's really just display port adaptive sync. I also just read on amds website that as of 2017, hdmi standards will support it as well. 

This article seems to support my reason. Freesync is in fact display port's adaptive sync, which happens to be compatible with gsync, which basically adds a hardware layer to reduce ghosting and improve performance. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8008/vesa-adds-adaptivesync-to-displayport-12a-standard-variable-refresh-monitors-move-forward

The difference between adaptive sync in display port standard and Nvidia's adaptive vsync is that with freesync/gsync/adaptive sync, the monitor changes refresh in response to the fps. With adaptive vsync, the card turns vsync on and off in response to frames to minimize it's weaknesses.