Intel Says Iris and Iris Pro Graphics Can Outperform 80% of Discrete GPUs – Casual and Mainstream Users Don’t Need dGPUs

Mr_Troll

No it's not. Carrizo is Carrizo, Bristol Ridge is Bristol Ridge. New product lineup even if it's mostly based on the same tech. Just like Richland isn't Trinity.

I wonder how long it takes him to realize his simple mistake.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

if intel can get even more power out of iris pro and shove it 13" super thin ultrabooks then im all game for that future

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As much as I believe that iGPU will eventually take over dGPU in almost all pc gaming scenarios (its not if, but when), I don't feel comfortable with the idea of Intel ever leading the push to that transition (even though they technically are leading the push at this point). If its AMD pushing their APU's, they will charge less for an APU than an equivalent setup that uses cpu + dGPU, AMD already do that with current APU's because its their only selling point - I doubt people are lining up to buy an APU for the purpose of combining with a dGPU. Whereas Intel will charge as much or more for their i-series CPU's then an equivalent cpu + dGPU setup, knowing that they don't need to undercut Nvidia or AMD discrete graphics in order to force that transition, because people will buy i-series CPU's to pair with their dGPU regardless, and because Intel doesn't offer any consumer grade CPU's without iGPU (xeon are not consumer grade) and therefore there's no price comparison between CPU's with and without iGPU.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I wonder how long it takes him to realize his simple mistake.

It's not a mistake! For fuck's sake it's on AMD's roadmap and is on hardware life and on wccftech and on tech report. I am wrong when wrong, which is not right now.

http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-stoney-ridge-apus-listed/

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_bristol_ridge_apus_coming_to_am4_in_2016/1

http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-future-zen-processors-apus-am4-socket/

They are Carrizo for desktop. Excavator and GCN 1.2 on the 28nm process. Need I say more? I am wrong fewer times in a year than I get a haircut. When you have no sources to back your claims; sit down, shut up, and let the adults debate and comment.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well, it would, on a laptop, in some scenarios. Optimus always was limited in the framerate it can reach because it has to send them over the PCIe bus to the iGPU, but in real world scenarios that doesn't matter, at all. It's more in simple scenes where an iGPU would reach hundreds of FPS, and a dGPU would bottleneck at, say, 200 or something.

1000+ GFLOPS is impressive though, any way you look at it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It's not a mistake! For fuck's sake it's on AMD's roadmap and is on hardware life and on wccftech and on tech report. I am wrong when wrong, which is not right now.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_bristol_ridge_apus_coming_to_am4_in_2016/1

http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-future-zen-processors-apus-am4-socket/

They are Carrizo for desktop. Excavator and GCN 1.2 on the 28nm process. Need I say more? I am wrong fewer times in a year than I get a haircut. When you have no sources to back your claims; sit down, shut up, and let the adults debate and comment.

None of those links say anything about Bristol Ridge being Carrizo. Instead, they confirm that those are two different things.

By the way, anyone who was in fact rarely wrong wouldn't have to childishly boast about how rarely they were wrong.

None of those links say anything about Bristol Ridge being Carrizo. Instead, they confirm that those are two different things.

By the way, anyone who was in fact rarely wrong wouldn't have to childishly boast about how rarely they were wrong.

No they don't! Dear God... Fine, when the chips launch and get called Carrizo, you can wear the pie on your face proudly.

You treated me like an incompetent noob. I don't take kindly to arrogant, willfully ignorant upstarts. It's not about boasting. It's about the facts. The fact is you are flatly wrong.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Looking at the following quotes, Bristol Ridge is a better version of Carrizo, and therefore is technically Carrizo...

While the Bristol Ridge and Stoney Ridge families will build-on the current Carrizo SOC design and maintain the same Globalfoundries’ 28nm SHP process. 

the new processor is a complete SOC (System on chip) design which will replace Carrizo SOCs on their respective platforms when we move in to 2016. The Bristol Ridge family will make use of a more refined architecture that is currently featured on Carrizo APUs.

http://wccftech.com/amd-next-gen-bristol-ridge-fx-9830p-soc-leaked/

AMD's Carrizo APUs and AMD's Bristol Ridge of APUs are highly similar, using similar versions of AMD's Excavator CPU architecture and are even pin compatible on the mobile side, both being FP4.

No they don't! Dear God... Fine, when the chips launch and get called Carrizo, you can wear the pie on your face proudly.

You treated me like an incompetent noob. I don't take kindly to arrogant, willfully ignorant upstarts. It's not about boasting. It's about the facts. The fact is you are flatly wrong.

Well, you have just proved that you are, to use your own words, "an incompetent noob." This slide, from your source, clearly shows Carrizo and Bristol Ridge as separate things:

RAsFmcF.jpg

If you don't take kindly to arrogant, willfully ignorant upstarts, then you should probably stop being one.

Well, you have just proved that you are, to use your own words, "an incompetent noob." This slide, from your source, clearly shows Carrizo and Bristol Ridge as separate things:

You looked at the image you put right? You realize the two columns are practically the same content...

First quote says it will "build on" Carrizo, and it can't build on itself.

Second quote says it will replace Carrizo. How can it replace Carrizo if it is Carrizo?

Third quote says Bristol Ridge and Carrizo are highly similar... but they are still treated as separate things, and the articles goes on to explain how Bristol Ridge differs from Carrizo with H.265 4k support.

You looked at the image you put right? You realize the two columns are practically the same content...

He thinks he's being smart, but Carrizo is both Stoney Ridge and Bristol Ridge. It's his fault for not separating the series name (Carrizo) from the platform names (Stoney ridge is mobile, and Bristol Ridge is desktop).

Very similar, not the same. It's just like when Richland replaced Trinity. Very similar features, but not identical.

First quote says it will "build on" Carrizo, and it can't build on itself.

Second quote says it will replace Carrizo. How can it replace Carrizo if it is Carrizo?

Third quote says Bristol Ridge and Carrizo are highly similar... but they are still treated as separate things, and the articles goes on to explain how Bristol Ridge differs from Carrizo with H.265 4k support.

Stoney Ridge and Summit Ridge are platforms which use Carrizo. One is mobile and the other is desktop. God you're thick.

Stoney Ridge and Summit Ridge are platforms which use Carrizo. One is mobile and the other is desktop. God you're thick.

Your sources disagree with you.

Once again, MageTank has to be the hero this forum needs.

Bristol Ridge and Carrizo are not the same thing. HOWEVER. Bristol Ridge is based on Carrizo. So much in fact, that they are virtually the same thing, with a different name.

Problem solved. Now back to first world problems, like making my ram slightly faster for absolutely no reason.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Your sources disagree with you.

No they don't! Your own graphic disagrees with your premise.

Once again, MageTank has to be the hero this forum needs.

Bristol Ridge and Carrizo are not the same thing. HOWEVER. Bristol Ridge is based on Carrizo. So much in fact, that they are virtually the same thing, with a different name.

Problem solved. Now back to first world problems, like making my ram slightly faster for absolutely no reason.

No, Bristol Ridge is a platform (like Skull Trail for Intel) Carrizo is a chip design (like Skylake for Intel). Carrizo chips are used on the Stoney Ridge and Bristol Ridge platforms.

No they don't! Your own graphic disagrees with your premise.

The slide I took from your source shows Carrizo and Bristol Ridge as two separate things to be compared.

The slide I took from your source shows Carrizo and Bristol Ridge as two separate things to be compared.

No it didn't. You completely misinterpret it.

No, Bristol Ridge is a platform (like Skull Trail for Intel) Carrizo is a chip design (like Skylake for Intel). Carrizo chips are used on the platform.

Isn't Skylake an architecture? If that is the case, wouldn't the correct nomenclature for this subject be Excavator? Because that is what BR is going to be designed upon. Naming schemes are always tricky x.x

No it didn't. You completely misinterpret it.

It's got one column listing features of Carrizo, then a separate column next to it listing features of Bristol Ridge. Why would you make that separation and comparison if Bristol Ridge was Carrizo?

It's got one column listing features of Carrizo, then a separate column next to it listing features of Bristol Ridge. Why would you make that separation and comparison if Bristol Ridge was Carrizo?

Not trying to jump into yall's argument, but I think there might be a slight misunderstanding.

Technically speaking, Carrizo and BR are both Excavator APU's. Meaning they use the same architecture. However, both differ in that their platforms are not the same. BR is in fact, the desktop version of Carrizo, but a different platform. Spiritual successor, if you will. Both sides are technically correct here, so I don't understand where the problem is, but yeah.. That's my insight on the subject. Gonna go retreat while I still have limbs.

Not trying to jump into yall's argument, but I think there might be a slight misunderstanding.

Technically speaking, Carrizo and BR are both Excavator APU's. Meaning they use the same architecture. However, both differ in that their platforms are not the same. BR is in fact, the desktop version of Carrizo, but a different platform. Spiritual successor, if you will. Both sides are technically correct here, so I don't understand where the problem is, but yeah.. That's my insight on the subject. Gonna go retreat while I still have limbs.

There you go again, being all.. reasonable. :angry:

;)

Isn't Skylake an architecture? If that is the case, wouldn't the correct nomenclature for this subject be Excavator? Because that is what BR is going to be designed upon. Naming schemes are always tricky x.x

Excavator is only CPU muArch. Carrizo is the whole package of unified CPU and iGPU which is itself a macro architecture.