Intel Says Iris and Iris Pro Graphics Can Outperform 80% of Discrete GPUs – Casual and Mainstream Users Don’t Need dGPUs

Mr_Troll

Casual users haven't needed a dedicated gpu for years now... most people are just fine with hd 2000 to be honest.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Problem of Iris and Iris Pro graphics is that they are about as expensive if not more than dGPU.

Good for laptops.. but thats it.

Not really when you consider it's $50-100 above the cost of an equivalent CPU with a lower iGPU SKU.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Again this statement. Every new generation chip, Intel pull this claim.

And this is what I can tell you:

1- 100% false. The obvious doesn't need to be explained

2- Intel sees its graphics solution as a "free solution" (despite paying the CPU more since Intel integrated this), and therefor put 0 effort or care. Windows 10 drivers are still GOD AWFUL (passing from awful status from Windows 7/8). Crashes non stop, and when Windows 10 was released, Intel could not get their power saving feature work, 'causing people to have hot laptops at idle, and shitty battery life, blaming Windows 10, when it is really Intel, making Microsoft sent it's own team of engineers to Intel, to work for Intel on the drivers, to fix bugs to get the drivers in a better working state (passing from abomination to god awful) and get the power saving feature work again. When Microsoft needs to come over and fix shit, this is when you know how much Intel cares.

3- Intel graphics solution does not FULLY support: OpenGL, DirectX, DirectComputer nor OpenCL. 'causing games to crash at some point with unsupported API errors, and programs using OpenCL or DirectCompue crashing when it executes something not supported by the Intel chip. So, what is the point that it has the performance of a GTX 980Ti, when it doesn't have the basics right?

the funniest part is that using hd2000 on linux I never had problems even in games xD the open source drivers are officially better than their proprietary ones

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What? How the fuck is the HD 530 that much better?

Because Intel isn't nearly as bad as people say.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Not really when you consider it's $50-100 above the cost of an equivalent CPU with a lower iGPU SKU.

But that equivalent SKU may itself be overkill. Just for comparison, a Core i5-5675C is about $300 while an A10-7850K or 7870K is $115 or $130. Sure, the Intel chip is significantly ahead in CPU performance, and maybe even a little ahead in GPU performance, but it costs nearly three times as much.

the funniest part is that using hd2000 on linux I never had problems even in games xD the open source drivers are officially better than their proprietary ones

Yes! Intel Linux drivers are actually decent (I want to even say: good, but I didn't touch it enougth to really say that) from what I experienced.

On Apple side, they are really good. But then again, it is Apple that makes its own drivers for Intel graphics chip (Another sign that shows that Intel does such a bad job).

What? How the fuck is the HD 530 that much better?

Bear in mind they're talking about Skylake in general. The claim seems to be based on the GT4e GPU, which has 72 EUs and L4 cache. The top chips in your link are the Broadwell chips with the GT3e GPU - featuring "only" 48 EUs and L4 cache. The HD530 is GT2 crap, 24 EUs and no L4 cache.

If that's true, why not showcase a game running on it and put the numbers against the competitors. Oh, wait, you didn't so that's a really baseless comment that's not even worth human fecal matter.

Intel doesn't talk much about their graphics but when they do they sure as hell trash talk more that both Nvidia and AMD.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'll keep my GTX 980 and 1440p near 60fps gaming thanks

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Maybe it does beat 80% of DGPU's, but that would still require you to aim for mid-range. Too bad the best IGP's are only in the flagship processors then, rather than in the mid-range CPU's as well, where they belong.

I don't see someone looking for a mid-range system buying a 6600k.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Maybe it does beat 80% of DGPU's, but that would still require you to aim for mid-range. Too bad the best IGP's are only in the flagship processors then, rather than in the mid-range CPU's as well, where they belong.

I don't see someone looking for a mid-range system buying a 6600k.

The 6600K has a low-end iGPU. As does the 6700K. Right now, all you can get is their midrange iGPU if you "upgrade" to, say, a Core i3-6167U (yes, you'd need to go mobile). Their new top of the line iGPU is supposed to debut in the Skull Canyon NUC very soon though.

They aren't available in cheap laptops, period.

This is what I get now and I don't see intel beating this price/performance ratio with their integrated gpu:

-I3+ nvidia 940m for 430$ ( Acer Aspire E5-572G-35CG )

-i5 with a GTX 950m v2 for 620$ (ASUS 15.6" X550JX ) 

If intel will beat these offers, than props to them.

I wish they left gaming alone and only tasked the igpu to do simple desktop tasks. On the broadwell desktop parts, the igpu takes up almost half of the surface area, surely that increases the cost of the cpu, and it can't even manage to beat an r7 250/gt 740. I can better understand their role on the mobile side, because having everything on one chip greatly increase power efficiency, but on the desktop side, I'd take a price cut over a better igpu any day.

The only upside I could see, is if DX12 becomes good enough at multi gpu that it could use the igpu to improve performance, where it wouldn't become completely useless the moment you buy a discrete gpu.

More bs talk from Intel...sigh

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Because Intel isn't nearly as bad as people say.

I mean vs iris pro 6200 from the Broadwells, which clearly win over the Skylakes yet they claim the opposite.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's not about being poor or not

A majority of users don't have any use in a gaming grade dGPU, you forget that the PC gaming community is infinitely small compared to the sheer number of PC's out there

atm, you can get a i5 4460 + R9 380 for the price of a single Broadwell chip.

I mean vs iris pro 6200 from the Broadwells, which clearly win over the Skylakes yet they claim the opposite.

GT4e, aka Skylake Iris Pro hasnt released yet.

that is most likely the performance figures of the Skylake Iris Pro

Im sure it will be limited to only high end desktop socketed skus and h series laptops so wont really be of much benefit to those who actually use integrated graphics. Most all H series laptops are gaming laptops (even per intel's website) so kinda out of place there. One day intel will realize that there highest end graphics need to be on their mid to low end skus.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Nonsense. Of course the Iris Pro 580 will outperform the Iris Pro 6200. 50% more EUs.

GT4e, aka Skylake Iris Pro hasnt released yet.

that is most likely the performance figures of the Skylake Iris Pro

Check the OP it says HD 530 which is out for Skylake. I'm more inclined to think it goes up substantially with really fast ddr4...or that they fucked up the press release.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nonsense. Of course the Iris Pro 580 will outperform the Iris Pro 6200. 50% more EUs, more L4 cache.

Check the graph I posted and the corresponding article, maybe something can jump out as to why, can't check myself right now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Check the OP it says HD 530 which is out for Skylake. I'm more inclined to think it goes up substantially with really fast ddr4...or that they fucked up the press release.

It also says 72 EUs. The HD 530 has 24 EUs.