Intel Says Iris and Iris Pro Graphics Can Outperform 80% of Discrete GPUs – Casual and Mainstream Users Don’t Need dGPUs

Mr_Troll

Intel Claims Casual and Mainstream Audience Don’t Need a Discrete Graphics Card

Gregory mentioned that Intel has gains in the graphics department on their Core processors which is quite true. He stated that Intel’s integrated graphics chips available today are 30 times more faster and better than what they were five years ago:

We have improved graphics 30 times what they were five years ago,” Bryant said during a speech at a J.P. Morgan forum last week at CES

He also said that the top-end graphics chips, known as Iris and Iris Pro can outperform 80 percent of discrete graphics chips available today however Intel hasn’t done a great job to showcase the benefits of their iGPUs in the consumer market and they will try to make up for it now:

He said that the top-level graphics processors integrated in Intel’s chips, called Iris and Iris Pro, can outperform 80 percent of discrete graphics chips.However he thinks that Intel has done quite a poor job of communicating the benefits of integrated graphics

There’s no doubt that Intel has made a tremendous improvement on their graphics chips. Starting with the 4th generation Haswell processors, Intel gave key improvements to their graphics core which now stands with over a TFLOPs of performance (Skylake). Intel has not only gave improvements to their hardware side but also made improvements in the software department adding support for DirectX 12 API, Vulkan API to their graphics chips and supporting  three 4K monitors simultaneously off a single graphics processor.Their graphics chips currently stand on par with AMD’s GCN architecture that is found on several APUs shipped in either laptops or desktop platforms. Surprisingly, the Intel Iris Pro 580 graphics chip which is expected to debut this quarter with the Intel Skull Canyon platform will actually be the first graphics chip from Intel that is faster than AMD’s top-end GCN core found on their Carrizo APUs.As for Intel saying that the chip is faster than 80% of discrete GPUs, they are probably talking about the entry level class which sell a lot in the discrete market. The Intel iGPUs are far from reaching mid-range performance but they have performance that can match entry level cards such as the GTX 750 or the Radeon R7 260. When Intel announced their next generation Skylake chips, we saw an incremental increase in graphics performance with the top level GPU going past the TFLOPs barrier with 1152 GFLOPs of processing power.

Intel-Skylake-Gen9-Graphics-Architecture

Iris Pro can easily take on several discrete GPUs in the mobility sector and even the desktop market. It was just recently revealed by Nvidia that only 1% (13 million) of the 1.5 Billion PCs around the globe are capable of running Virtual Reality. This is a shocking figure and we know that most PCs have an Intel based processor in side them. Given that only such a low number of PCs are capable of running virtual reality for which the base requirements are either a GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 290 equivalent graphics card, their can’t be a whole lot of gaming PCs that are in the mid-range sector.For several users with entry level PCs, the Iris and Iris Pro chips are already a lot faster than the discrete graphics processors they are using. In a way, AMD and NVIDIA not providing any significant improvements in the low-end, entry-level market has brought Intel to the point where they can outperform 80% of the discrete class graphics cards. If we check out AMD and NVIDIA’s entry level options, we will find a card that has seen at least 2-3 rebrands from a previous generation core, namely the Radeon R5 series and the GeForce GT cards.Intel innovating in the graphics field is a good thing for the industry but for AAA gaming on higher resolutions with full VR/AR support, users should sight at nothing less than the best from NVIDIA and AMD as they offer faster frame rates, better performance and a superb gaming experience.

Shots fired from intel. I mean they can play games at minimum settings but that about it. 80% more powerfull than the rest? dont think so.

Source:http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021496/hardware/intel-integrated-chip-graphics-catching-up-with-graphics-cards.html

http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/39640-intel-claims-most-don-t-need-a-gpu

This post has been promoted to an article

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

okay =( i'll throw out my crossfire setup next week

too sad too bad

also when most people are running things like GT730 or GT210 it's not hard to be better than 80%

and I totally agree with their statement that casuals playing dota/lol/cs/rocket league and heartstone don't have a use for dGPU

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Iris Pro isn't actually in anything buyable though. The 2 Broadwell chips with them cost like 3x what they're worth and within the premade space they ransomwared it to Apple, GG.

Also, Intel's drivers are shit, if I was THAT poor I'd still take the AMD R7 260.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Shots fired from intel. I mean they can play games at minimum settings but that about it. 80% more powerfull than the rest? dont think so.

Source:http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021496/hardware/intel-integrated-chip-graphics-catching-up-with-graphics-cards.html

They said it will outperform 80% of all gpus, including all made since the birth of the first gpu, so that makes sense

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

Maybe more competition will actually make them work harder or price themselves lower. Who knows?

They say they are better than 80% of all dgpus, not 80% better than dgpus.

Meaning their iris pro beats all of your gt710b gt720, r5 210 and shit like dis.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Only reason to use Iris Pro would be if you had an ultrabook or a NUC, imo

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

i played on my integrated skylake graphics for shits and giggles. it was as good as a average computer.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

They said it will outperform 80% of all gpus, including all made since the birth of the first gpu, so that makes sense

This was exactly my thought...

Does 80% matter when that is also counting people all over the world who are still running gear from 10+ years ago?

They forget that not every market is as wealthy as America, and in some parts of the world they are lucky to handle streaming yet.

~Cynical~

This would actually be great, and I would HIGHLY recommend it, if it was available on an i3. Once you get to i5 pricing you might as well just get a dedicated gpu.

they just need around 512 MB of EDRAM and they are set on taking on the midrange market

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

My guess is that this heralds a drop in price of Intel's CPUs with the "high-end" integrated graphics since they say that the majority of users won't need anything more. They obviously want to market them toward the average user now rather than just for niche scenarios because there's no way they would sell well at the current prices.

And the compute performance is just below a 750 Ti, which is actually fairly capable. That also puts it slightly behind the GTX 960M in my laptop, and if memory bandwidth isn't an issue, you could get almost the same performance with significantly lower power usage and probably a cheaper cooling solution. I'm impressed with the incredible leaps we've had in the performance of integrated graphics in the past few years. It's a shame they still have the stigma of being terrible for gaming, which really isn't the case anymore since the majority of users have integrated graphics(HD 4000 or 4600) or lower-end dedicated cards, and Skylake Iris Pro will crush them. The people on this forum tend to forget that they're the minority.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

damn thats just under xbox one performance, at least in gflop comparison, thats pretty fantastic.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Lol the driver for my igpu crashed more in one day than the 2 years with my 280x drivers.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Can they even do tessellation though? They are floating point processors sure, but they don't seem to support any advanced graphics stuff properly. Either way, we all know the importance of drivers these days. Intel does not.

Can't wait for zen apu's for a real cheap gaming system, that's actually useful. Desktop and laptop included.

I've said it before, nvidia is screwed in the long run, as their market is being eaten away from the ground up, forcing them into a corner in the high end market.

Nvidia will probably get bought by Intel in 5 to 10 years.

Addendum: this is also known as asymmetry of motivation leading to the disruptive innovation life cycle (apu's)

5038398790_227c231692.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1.15TFLOPS???

THATS WORSE THEN THE FAGBOX-ONE.... which has 1.31TFLOPS. the PS4 sits at 1.84TFLOPS....

if you cannot even beat CONSOLES. you should just fuck the hell off with your "can beat 80% of dGPUs".

yes, it can beat 80% of what was around FIVE YEARS AGO....

@Partickjp93

you said GT4e would beat or match a 750Ti, right???

you claimed this. RIGHT!!!

because at 1.15TFLOPS well....

AMD Radeon R7 360 - 1.5TFLOPS

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2661/radeon-r9-360-oem.html

Nvidia GTX 750Ti - 1.3TFLOPS

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2548/geforce-gtx-750-ti.html

these are reference models. Custom PCB versions WILL be faster then this. notably so.

Now lets see how the new 14/16nM GPUs do... if we are to go by previous gains from node shrinks, we should see around 20-30% raw performance increase.

Nice try intel. you still suck.

1.15TFLOPS???

THATS WORSE THEN THE FAGBOX-ONE.... which has 1.31TFLOPS. the PS4 sits at 1.84TFLOPS....

if you cannot even beat CONSOLES. you should just fuck the hell off with your "can beat 80% of dGPUs".

yes, it can beat 80% of what was around FIVE YEARS AGO....

@Partickjp93

you said GT4e would beat or match a 750Ti, right???

you claimed this. RIGHT!!!

because at 1.15TFLOPS well....

AMD Radeon R7 360 - 1.5TFLOPS

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2661/radeon-r9-360-oem.html

Nvidia GTX 750Ti - 1.3TFLOPS

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2548/geforce-gtx-750-ti.html

these are reference models. Custom PCB versions WILL be faster then this. notably so.

Now lets see how the new 14/16nM GPUs do... if we are to go by previous gains from node shrinks, we should see around 20-30% raw performance increase.

Nice try intel. you still suck.

Well considering 6 years ago we just used iGPUs for basic desktop use it's something.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Iris Pro isn't actually in anything buyable though. The 2 Broadwell chips with them cost like 3x what they're worth and within the premade space they ransomwared it to Apple, GG.

Also, Intel's drivers are shit, if I was THAT poor I'd still take the AMD R7 260.

It's not about being poor or not

A majority of users don't have any use in a gaming grade dGPU, you forget that the PC gaming community is infinitely small compared to the sheer number of PC's out there

A majority of users don't have any use in a gaming grade dGPU, you forget that the PC gaming community is infinitely small compared to the sheer number of PC's out there

That is completely irrelevant, as this is a response to Intel's claims about their iGPU comparative to dGPU. Nothing was forgotten, it was you who read too much into the topic.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Makes me want to get Iris just 'cause.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Again this statement. Every new generation chip, Intel pull this claim.

And this is what I can tell you:

1- 100% false. The obvious doesn't need to be explained

2- Intel sees its graphics solution as a "free solution" (despite paying the CPU more since Intel integrated this), and therefor put 0 effort or care. Windows 10 drivers are still GOD AWFUL (passing from awful status from Windows 7/8). Crashes non stop, and when Windows 10 was released, Intel could not get their power saving feature work, causing people to have hot laptops at idle, and shitty battery life, blaming Windows 10, when it is really Intel. This made Microsoft send its own team of engineers to Intel, to work for Intel on the drivers, in order to fix really big bugs (but sadly not all) to get the drivers in a better working state (passing from abomination to god awful) and get the power saving feature to work again. When Microsoft needs to come over and fix shit at their own expense, this is when you know how much Intel cares about their graphics solution.

3- Intel graphics solution does not FULLY support: OpenGL, DirectX, DirectComputer nor OpenCL. 'causing games to crash at some point with unsupported API errors, and programs using OpenCL or DirectCompue crashing when it executes something not supported by the Intel chip. So, what is the point that it has the performance of a GTX 980Ti, when it doesn't have the basics right?

Here is a great idea Intel, take all that B.S marketing money, and put it to your graphics chip team, let the product speak for itself. If it is cruelly good, and truly delivers as you want us to believe, it will, and will convince us.

Apple is not the only one that uses Iris Pro chips!

Intel's drivers are not shit anymore either. Heck we used them for our graphics class.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd