iPad Pro “always going to be a companion device,” says Microsoft

VAkena

Winbeta: http://www.winbeta.org/news/ipad-pro-always-going-companion-device-says-microsoft

Opinon: To me the iPad Pro was never going to be a laptop/desktop replacement simply because I can't run FULL software on it (Eg: Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite and Steam games). 

Apple CEO Tim Cook has had a couple of sharp comments about Microsoft’s Surface line of hybrids, that range from calling the strategy “diluted” in the sense of not being focused on one type of machine over another to comparing the Surface to a toaster-fridge that does nothing particularly well. That mythical creature even made an appearance at Microsoft October 6, 2015, hardware event where the Surface Book–an even more direct competitor to Apple’s MacBook line–was unveiled to much fanfare.

Microsoft's Dan Laycock - Senior Communications Manager for Microsoft Surface made some pretty interesting remarks about the iPad Pro. 

Opinion: I think it's kinda true, the iPad Pro is limited in the sense that it runs iOS.

“Microsoft really wants you to only carry one device for tablet and PC use,” explains Laycock, speaking to us at the Consumer Electronics Show 2016 in Las Vegas. “Whereas the iPad Pro is always going to be a companion device.”

He adds: “The strategies are very different.”

“We don’t see it as a one-to-one comparison, because this is a full PC, you’re running full apps,” Laycock adds.

Calling an iPad Pro a “companion device,” then, makes sense for anyone whose productivity needs go beyond light editing of documents, photos, and video–not to mention all of the other functionality that a full OS and universal peripheral support provides. That’s likely quite a few people, particularly in Microsoft’s core target market of business professionals and the enterprise.

Conclusion: If I had to choose between a Surface Pro 4 and an iPad Pro, without a doubt I'd pick the Surface for my needs. Although this varies because everyone has different uses for the products.

post-256893-0-22274600-1452639185.png

As much as Apple may push the iPad, they know full-well it's not replacing computers any time soon, or they would really commit and abolish their laptop line entirely

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

They're not wrong, but I can see some people using the iPad Pro as their main device.

I don't know why they would do that though.

I don't think it is viable either, doesn't run a desktop OS and therefore typical programs that you run everyday.

It would have to have the compatibility for ubiquity in order to be ubiquitous.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

if it came with a touchpad/keyboard combo like the surface, maybe, just MAYBE it could work. but nope. apple thinks in minimalistic ideas, so that's out the window.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

He's right, in its current form the ipad pro is a glorified toy.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The iPad Pro like many apple products is over rated in comparison to the surface pro 4,

I mean would you rather have a full OS laptop thats from Microsoft, or a iPad Pro that cost about the same as the surface but, runs a mobile OS from Apple?

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

The ipad is just a toy to me. It will never be anything more than that. While with the Surface, you can do a lot on it, as it is the full fledge version of Windows. (Especially with the keyboard and the i/o)

The iPad pro uses iOS9, it really should use OSX if they want to actually market this to "professionals" and not just the casuals. Sure you can do a lot with iOS, there's almost always an app for "anything" you need, but it's not the same as a full fledge OS like OSX or Windows. Instead it's basically just an iphone, but bigger.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The iPad Pro is no doubt a revolutionary device - in relation to the rest of the iPad lineup. Even in relation to existing drawing tablets too.

However, like everyone else has stated, it can't run desktop apps like the full Creative Suite from Adobe or simplistic code editors like Notepad++.

Compared to the likes of the Surface Pro or Surface Book family, it doesn't compete - they're two different product lines for two different uses.

Their abilities are similar - two people, one fit, one fat, can both enter a race. But depending on their end goals, their race results are going to vary.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

The iPad Pro is no doubt a revolutionary device - in relation to the rest of the iPad lineup. Even in relation to existing drawing tablets too.

In what way? (I genuinely want to know)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

In what way? (I genuinely want to know)

Um... in the most obvious way possible? The other iPads don't have the ability to use any accurate form of stylus input at all in any way.

And yes, I've had a chance to try a wide variety of stylii, from Jot's Bluetooth connected writing stylii to Pencil by 53.

They've all paled in comparison to the current Wacom-based offering on the Surface family of devices, and even an old Fujitsu Lifebook I have tucked away in my closet from the 2006 era.

In relation to current drawing tablets like those from Wacom, it's only revolutionary because it marries a "computer" to a drawing tablet.

Sure for $300-600 less you could pickup one of Wacom's Cintiq tablets, but at least the iPad Pro operates as a device on it's own.

The Cintiq tablets are probably way more accurate and useful for professional graphic artists and media storyboard writers though.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Um... in the most obvious way possible? The other iPads don't have the ability to use any accurate form of stylus input at all in any way.

And yes, I've had a chance to try a wide variety of stylii, from Jot's Bluetooth connected writing stylii to Pencil by 53.

They've all paled in comparison to the current Wacom-based offering on the Surface family of devices, and even an old Fujitsu Lifebook I have tucked away in my closet from the 2006 era.

In relation to current drawing tablets like those from Wacom, it's only revolutionary because it marries a "computer" to a drawing tablet.

Sure for $300-600 less you could pickup one of Wacom's Cintiq tablets, but at least the iPad Pro operates as a device on it's own.

The Cintiq tablets are probably way more accurate and useful for professional graphic artists and media storyboard writers though.

Ok so I was right, there's really nothing revolutionary here.  They're taking existing technology (a wacom system and a tablet) and putting them into one device.  That even already existed in both tablet and transformer laptop form factors.  But thanks (actually) I did want to know what you were getting at and you answered that :)

Ok so I was right, there's really nothing revolutionary here.  They're taking existing technology (a wacom system and a tablet) and putting them into one device.  That even already existed in both tablet and transformer laptop form factors.  But thanks (actually) I did want to know what you were getting at and you answered that :)

Ahaha, do I hear sarcasm..? :P

Ahaha, do I hear sarcasm..? :P

not at all.  I wanted to know what was so "revolutionary" and he answered that (though I don't agree at all that it is revolutionary)

not at all.  I wanted to know what was so "revolutionary" and he answered that (though I don't agree at all that it is revolutionary)

From a technological standpoint, you're absolutely right, and I agree with you. Digitized input has been around for longer than I've been alive.

It's not a new idea, Apple's far from the first person to actually do a "good job" of it, and the iPad Pro is far from perfect.

But compared to Apple's iPad lineup, it's revolutionary that Apple finally added some kind of decent stylii based input to their tablet devices.

You know, the same kind of input that's been around since Samsung's first Note phone or tablet.

Or wait, the same kind of input since tablet based windows XP machines were around.

No wait again, the same kind of input that Palm arguably pioneered with it's touch devices in the 90's.

I could go on but... I think we all get the point. Digitized input is not new, nor revolutionary. Apple just finally caught up. Sort of.

From a technological standpoint, you're absolutely right, and I agree with you. Digitized input has been around for longer than I've been alive.

It's not a new idea, Apple's far from the first person to actually do a "good job" of it, and the iPad Pro is far from perfect.

But compared to Apple's iPad lineup, it's revolutionary that Apple finally added some kind of decent stylii based input to their tablet devices.

You know, the same kind of input that's been around since Samsung's first Note phone or tablet.

Or wait, the same kind of input since tablet based windows XP machines were around.

No wait again, the same kind of input that Palm arguably pioneered with it's touch devices in the 90's.

I could go on but... I think we all get the point. Digitized input is not new, nor revolutionary. Apple just finally caught up. Sort of.

yeah, I might say it's revolutionized what you can do with an iPad, but the iPad Pro is the furthest thing from revolutionary itself

I think Tim Cook just got burned....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

u mad MS?

I have to assume this is sarcastic (which is hard to imagine given the wording) or just a troll.

What I really need right now is the toasterfridge... and huge-ass pieces of bread to go with it...

I think that anyone with any knowledge whatsoever about technology knows that an iPad is not even comparable to a laptop.

Of course it's going to stay a companion device. Unless Apple decides to make it run a desktop OS a la Microsoft's surface, then it becomes a laptop replacement.

Right now, it's running an operating system meant for mobile devices, plus the OS is so restricted. The iPad pro is just an over-sized tablet at this point. 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

I think they focused so much with the hardware side that they forgot how important the software is. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

What makes me laugh was a few WWDC's ago apple said there competition is turning laptops into tablets and tablets into laptops and they are trying to do that but they are failing

He is both right and wrong in my opinion. For people who actually do things, the ipad "pro" is a companion device. Some people who really must not have ANYTHING to do, use the ipad "pro" is their one device. Problem is...the regular ipad would work just as well if not better for them and it's half the price. Even my mom who is retired gets annoyed trying to do certain things on her ipad and goes over to her computer to get it done.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |