reportedly, ValvE's & HTC's Vive will hover around 1500$ price point

zMeul

Aaaaaaaand not getting a Vive!

Or probably any VR device for the foreseeable.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Seriously guys, you're believing this article?  This article's "source" also claims:

The Oculus Rift, which has investment from Google, has started pre-order sales with a price tag of US$599. The Sony PlayStation VR is expected to be priced at US$1,125.

If you want to see the source Android Authority is using:

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/ast/201601120023.aspx

Which has a slew of bad info like the one I put up.

Also one thing overlooked is there has to be a good amount of software for it to make people buy it. But it can't just be software that is like a normal game with VR, it's going to have to be a game that fully uses VR. Take the WiiU for example, a lot of games only used that touchpad a s a gimmick and rarely used it proply. 

Also one thing overlooked is there has to be a good amount of software for it to make people buy it. But it can't just be software that is like a normal game with VR, it's going to have to be a game that fully uses VR. Take the WiiU for example, a lot of games only used that touchpad a s a gimmick and rarely used it proply. 

I thought the touchpads main selling point was to be a secondary portable screen, that you can keep playing the game if the main screen couldn't be on. Sure other games actually added stuff to it while both screens where activate, but I don't think that was the main purpose.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Ford model T

Not a very good comparison. Model T wasn't even close to a first gen car. Cars were pretty refined for the technology level at that point. What was a first gen product was the model T assembly line.

Ford model T

First affordable car, not first car.  Big difference.

Not a very good comparison. Model T wasn't even close to a first gen car. Cars were pretty refined for the technology level at that point. What was a first gen product was the model T assembly line.

Model T is a horrible comparison... It wasn't the first car, as pointed out, it was the first mass produced car. The Model T even managed to set back EVs by 80 years or so. 

RiP VR

Aaaaaaaand not getting a Vive!

Or probably any VR device for the foreseeable.

top kek... oculus and vive is so 2000 and late

they are not the only HMDs on the market, they just have the greatest hype

here, get this, thank me later:

www.osvr.org/hardware/buy/

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Except that the OSVR isn't close to releasing and that version has a max fps of 60 (eww).

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Except that the OSVR isn't close to releasing and that version has a max fps of 60 (eww).

what's oculus and vive at? like 90 tops?

also those are dev kits for osvr as well and osvr is modular meaning you can mount any display to it

btw, since vive is at 1500$ that's a realm of StarVR and I'd better go for that with their 1440p resolution per eye and 180fov

i know oculus is fhd both eyes combined which is bull shit for 600$ haven't payed attention to vives tech specs but I doubt they are any close to StarVR

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1st gen excuse is absolutely bullcrap

and the comparison to 3D printers .. wow; 3D printers have a wider use than a PC peripheral

when you build something, market it at a general audience and claim mass adoption, then you bloody well price it accordingly

what's this? something we actually agree on?

What I might actually do is get nothing and just watch all these thunderheads smash into each other in the fuckfest we're all going to remember fondly in 2017 and onwards...

Unless my school department wants to fund me a free dev set, of course... That'd be grand just to screw around with.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Waiting for V3 bc V2 is still gonna be too expensive....

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I think I'd rather buy 3x 1440p 60hz IPS 27 inch panels w/ Sennheisers HD598's, a bluesnowball, Mionix Castor and Ducky Shine 4/5. For the same price lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I think I'd rather buy 3x 1440p 60hz IPS 27 inch panels

RIP 750ti

RIP 750ti

Soon to be 290x lol, though wouldn't use it for surround sound. Mainly multitasking, with college I have trouble with 2 monitors, no idea how some of these college students work on a 13-15inch laptop

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I know this is a bad representation, but look at the difference in complexity between DK2 and CV1.

Its kinda a different process of making CV1 over DK2 yeah?

That is not a bad representation. It a horrendous representation. That comparison is completely meaningless.

The screen that goes into an iPhone goes into other phones, its a similar display to a bunch of phones, its not a display made for 1 device.

Plus all the components that aren't really going into any other devices. the Lens system and all the associated precise mechanics behind that, all the electronics behind a dedicated low latency camera system? It doesn't seem too far fetched to me that this is going to all end up costing a lot. Especially for a company at its first full scale consumer release. 

Nope, the screen for the iPhone is just as custom made as the Oculus Rift's screen.

if you want to talk about the lens system then how about we talk about the camera lens on the iPhone? That is extremely high precision as well. The "low latency camera" system is just a regular camera with a filter that blocks out visible light. The rest is done in software by your computer. The filter costs maybe 1 dollar. Apple reportedly has 800 people working on the iPhone camera. The entire Oculus company has about 200 employees.

The only reasons why you don't think it is far fetched are:

1) You don't know what parts actually cost.

2) You are overestimating the complexity of the Rift.

3) You are underestimating the complexity of phones.

The Oculus Rift is not "even close to first gen VR" either in that case. We have had VR devices for over 40 years now.

That is not a bad representation. It a horrendous representation. That comparison is completely meaningless.

Nope, the screen for the iPhone is just as custom made as the Oculus Rift's screen.

if you want to talk about the lens system then how about we talk about the camera lens on the iPhone? That is extremely high precision as well. The "low latency camera" system is just a regular camera with a filter that blocks out visible light. The rest is done in software by your computer. The filter costs maybe 1 dollar. Apple reportedly has 800 people working on the iPhone camera. The entire Oculus company has about 200 employees.

The only reasons why you don't think it is far fetched are:

1) You don't know what parts actually cost.

2) You are overestimating the complexity of the Rift.

3) You are underestimating the complexity of phones.

The Oculus Rift is not "even close to first gen VR" either in that case. We have had VR devices for over 40 years now.

you are underestimating the complexity of the Rift, Iphone screen is much worse than Rifts, less pixels, worse colours, not OLED, not as low latency, and more. and Iphone screen is sold millions of, Rifts screen isnt and are not going to sell as well. same with the lens, the lens on the rift have to be better than a lens on a freaking phone camera. If a lens is little bit wrong on a camera, you will not notice it as much on the pictures, as you do if the same amount of wrong on a VR headset. the amount of lenses sold is also true here.

More of a product sold = the production of more and in a better way = less price per product.

Oculus Rift CV1 or HTC Vive isnt going to be mainstream, and at least Oculus do know that. every time new tech is coming out, it is always going to be more expensive, because of custom made stuff and the product is sold less, and then it gets better over time. thats just how it is.

the tech that is in the VR headsets now is going to be cheaper, but that not right now.

2016 is not the year VR get mainstream. And the mainstreamness is not going to start with the High end products like Rift or Vive, its going to start with the lower end ones, like the ones you use with your phone. You probably wont play VR games at your phone, but VR movies and stuff on phone VR is going to happen.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking