Parent Gets ~$8K Bill for Child's Xbox Microtransactions

thedigitaldoctor

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/pembroke-xbox-bill-8000-1.3397534

On Dec. 23, Lance Perkins got a credit card bill for $7,625.88 after his 17-year-old son used his credit card to make in-game purchases for one of the FIFA series of soccer games.

Wow. What sort of things are available in the FIFA games that would cost this much? I guess I've never really payed attention to the availability of things like this.

"Waddle over to the elevator and we'll continue the testing." - GLaDOS, Portal 2

Primary System: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e540, upgraded with 16GB Kingston RAM & Intel 520 240GB SSD

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/pembroke-xbox-bill-8000-1.3397534

Wow. What sort of things are available in the FIFA games that would cost this much? I guess I've never really payed attention to the availability of things like this.

I actually did that on my mom's card the day she got it canceled and managed to squeeze 3300$ into a crap ton of games and micro-transactions without anyone having to pay for them

...Ouch. You could have bought a good pc and games that are better for that money, not to mention no microtransactions.

this is a macrotransaction (>-<)

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

17 years old is too old to not know about this, kid is lying and he just lost track or just didnt care how much he was spending.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

First  I was like, must be an 8 year old who plays cod.

Then I read Fifa

Then I read cod.

Im done.

Then you read you see 17 year old

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

At first I thought the kid was like 8 and didnt even know he was buying stuff, but he's 17 ffs!

17 years old is too old to not know about this, kid is lying and he just lost track or just didnt care how much he was spending.

^ I reckon, there is no way you can be 17 years old, and be that blind to the fact of Micro-Transactions. Well actually now that I think about some of the people of the world....

"He's just as sick as I am, [because] he never believed he was being charged for every transaction, or every time he went onto the game."

Well it is both the parent's and the kid's fault. Parent - Check your bank account... Kid - Don't be dumb

It wouldn't be Microsoft's fault unless it's possible to keep pressing one button and kept purchasing the same one constantly. Safe guard against under 6 year olds mashing on the controller. Default for I accept/agree should be no.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

I actually did that on my mom's card the day she got it canceled and managed to squeeze 3300$ into a crap ton of games and micro-transactions without anyone having to pay for them

That's both something you should not be at all proud of, and something you should look back on in disgust.

Perkins said he had given his son a credit card for emergencies or to make purchases for the family's convenience store. 

The father is responsible for the charges. 

These stories always happen and will continue to happen. Hell even the affluent teen's mom had to go and pay his $2000 strip club bill in Mexico!

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

At the age of 15, I held down a full time job while attending high school at the same time. I did not have time to sit on my ass playing Xbox all day. I would suggest that the parent in this story put their irresponsible kid to work and make 'em recoup monetary losses. 

inb4 the parents sue FIFA and EA.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

wow

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

All those drugs his momma dont know about the prolly did some flippin there to get drug money or something.. meh kids.

You cant speed 8k $ on all fifa games and their microtransactions even if you wanted to.

At the age of 15, I held down a full time job while attending high school at the same time. I did not have time to sit on my ass playing Xbox all day. I would suggest that the parent in this story put their irresponsible kid to work and make 'em the recoup monetary losses. 

so basically you lived like a slave? Unless in your country, going to high school doesnt take 8 hours or more every day of the week.

What kind of parent freely let their childern use their own credit card ffs

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

What kind of parent freely let their childern use their own credit card ffs

Mine does, I just have to give the same amount of cash to her. Amazon purchases for everyone go through my account.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Perkins said he had given his son a credit card for emergencies or to make purchases for the family's convenience store. 

The father is responsible for the charges. 

These stories always happen and will continue to happen. Hell even the affluent teen's mom had to go and pay his $2000 strip club bill in Mexico!

Actually the parent is not responisble. It is Unauthorized use.

Mine does, I just have to give the same amount of cash to her. Amazon purchases for everyone go through my account.

If you can give back what you spent then it isn't a problem

Allowing children to use credit card on microtransaction is just dumb, they will think that their parent's wallet is limitless, just give them a debit and it'll be a lot safer

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Actually the parent is not responisble. It is Unauthorized use.

Pretty sure there's some fine text somewhere that makes this irrelevant since it was the person's kid.

this reminds me of someone I know payed $500 on rolling CS cases off his his dad's credit card.

i just hope that one day they get kicked to the curb and can't fend for themselves because mommy isnt there to shell out cash.

- snip-

A 17 year old? If I was his parent I'd pay the 8k with the money I saved for his college and would give away both the xbox and the account to a kid I knew to be decent.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i just hope that one day they get kicked to the curb and can't fend for themselves because mommy isnt there to shell out cash.

Dude's 17, in a year max he can be legally kicked out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*