AT&T Brings Back Unlimited - With a Catch

Suika

I read somewhere they also start throttling speed at 22 GB/month

it's kind of hard to hit 22GB unless you're always not on wifi a lot

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Kinda glad I'm in the UK, I get unlimited data/unlimited texts/200mins(but who uses them anyway) for £17/month, and I have no roaming charges in most of the countries that I'd want to visit (Although YouTube is throttled without a VPN)

Kinda great IMO

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I don't control anything, my parents I believe don't care.

gotta love burning money. 

gotta love burning money. 

Just like how we pay $70 for 7Mb download internet though we could easily go to TimeWarner and pay like $20 less for 50Mb

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

22GB is almost nothing.

I've used 37GB over wi-fi and 557MB over Cell

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

/\

pish 60GB wifi on my phone and 600MB on DAta

22GB is almost nothing.

if your using 22GB on DATA thats just fucked up, what are you doing with all that data using instead of home wifi lmao??????

try being an imgurian, gifs galore and an avid youtube watcher :P

/\

pish 60GB wifi on my phone and 600MB on DAta

if your using 22GB on DATA thats just fucked up, what are you doing with all that data using instead of home wifi lmao??????

I am not at home much, and it is easy to go and download a 20GB Game while in the car when you get about 80 Down.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

i like your profile pic 

07c3bc8053e415fc8385196300bb911e.png

(click for source)

Honestly, some of the most shocking news I've heard in awhile.

If you've been watching AT&T, you would have thought they'd be making every attempt to get their subscribers out of the grandfathered unlimited plans. First, they kill contracts, so now you have to buy your phones outright to keep unlimited data. Next, they raise pricing (which after inflation, is the same as when the plan was first introduced). Now, they're offering unlimited again under a different plan, which has been some very surprising news to me - and I sell phones for AT&T.

The catch I spoke about was sort of in that quote - you have to also be a subscriber to DirecTV or AT&T U-Verse to subscribe to the unlimited data plan. That's not extremely terrible, but it's unfortunate that it's a requirement to get it. Pricing isn't too bad either, it's very competitive with T-Mobile's current $90/month option (I say competitive because AT&T's coverage is superior). With the plan, you're looking at $100/month for one line, $40+ for the lines after, but the fourth like is free. So $180/month for unlimited everything for four people. Not bad.

Of course, that pricing doesn't include the phones. You'll have to pay for those yourself on AT&T's plans through AT&T Next or BYOD, but T-Mobile does the same thing.

So what do you guys think? Is this reasonably priced? Is it about god damn time AT&T brought back the highly coveted unlimited data plan? Leave your thoughts below!

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

try being an imgurian, gifs galore and an avid youtube watcher :P

Wi-Fi is your friend

Literally almost everywhere I go has wi-fi, the only time I am NOT using wi-fi is when I am actually going to these places that have wi-fi

Stream movies or videos, use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop... Use my phone as a hotspot for my desktop because T-Mobile's network is faster than CenturyLink.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Wi-Fi is your friend

Literally almost everywhere I go has wi-fi, the only time I am NOT using wi-fi is when I am actually going to these places that have wi-fi

Stream movies or videos, use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop... Use my phone as a hotspot for my desktop because T-Mobile's network is faster than CenturyLink.

This is also true!

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

What if you need a 5th and 6th line?

AT&T doesn't specify, I'll bring it up to my representative the next time I speak with him. I assume it would either be an additional $40 per line, or AT&T will have you create another account. One is obviously cheaper than the other.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Never heard of U-Verse and Direct TV is balls near me. I guess if you already use either and want to switch to an unlimited plan now is the time... 

Verizon was ripping me off for just 3GB so I switch to Fi. So far signal strength is equally as good as verizon and my bill is $40 cheaper. Plus I got a brand new phone with it. Att cost about the same as verizon but like OP said, you need to pay for the phone outright or finance it on top of the monthly bill.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

There's always a catch, but I guess some people will find this a reasonable offer

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Australia. Cable Internet. $75 with line rental included. Yeah for once AUstralia has an ISP that's doing better than the US equivalent.

Not sure why you are saying this? These plans are for mobiles... not a home internet connection.

OT: Sounds pretty reasonable overall, ~$65 (AUD) per person for four people. Just wish Australia would push for higher data limits.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Australia. Cable Internet. $75 with line rental included. Yeah for once AUstralia has an ISP that's doing better than the US equivalent.

50MBs down, 25MBs up, no data cap

TV (Cable) with movie rental services

Radio over cable

Phone (landline. Obsolete option)

120 bucks per month

my phones data plan

6GB data per month at unlimited speed (my max speed over 4G LTE where i live is around 32MBs down, 22MBs up)

unlimted data amount but capped speed at 64kbs after the cap is used. i can refill 1GB data for 9 bucks ish

free calling (cheaper abroad, but still have to pay)

free SMS

free MMS

ONLY 12 month binding contract, Phones are 100% unlocked. so i can swap from any phone TO any phone. Be it IOS or Android or Windows.

64USD a month

my phones data plan

6GB data per month at unlimited speed (my max speed over 4G LTE where i live is around 32MBs down, 22MBs up)

unlimted data amount but capped speed at 64kbs after the cap is used. i can refill 1GB data for 9 bucks ish

free calling (cheaper abroad, but still have to pay)

free SMS

free MMS

ONLY 12 month binding contract, Phones are 100% unlocked. so i can swap from any phone TO any phone. Be it IOS or Android or Windows.

64USD a month

Ok maybe Australia does beat someone else with mobile plans, at least if you know where to look for the deals.

Telstra

10GB per month (4GX - 13.5MByte/s Down 5 Up) - Charged afterwards or 1GB for $10

Free Calls

Free SMS (Not sure about MMS)

12 Month Contract

$33 AUD a month

Is that 32MByte or 32Mbit per second down? If it's MByte .... wow that's insane speeds for a phone, otherwise you have your capitals wrong. Mb is megabit, MB is megabyte.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB

Laptop
Spoiler
Current

Old - Given away

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries

Retired Devices:
NDS (Traded in)

I was super surprised when I saw this news this morning MI almost thought it wasn't real for a second. Now I'm tempted to switch to AT&T...

COMIC SANS

Ok maybe Australia does beat someone else with mobile plans, at least if you know where to look for the deals.

Telstra

10GB per month (4GX - 13.5MByte/s Down 5 Up) - Charged afterwards or 1GB for $10

Free Calls

Free SMS (Not sure about MMS)

12 Month Contract

$33 AUD a month

Is that 32MByte or 32Mbit per second down? If it's MByte .... wow that's insane speeds for a phone, otherwise you have your capitals wrong. Mb is megabit, MB is megabyte.

according to speedtest, its 32 MegaByte.

yes we have crazy high speeds here, then again, population density wise, there is twice as many people living in LONDON as my whole country

No unlimited for me. Att only offers a 25mb connection in my area. I would need to drop the 150 mb I have from Comcast to get that. No thanks.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

according to speedtest, its 32 MegaByte.

yes we have crazy high speeds here, then again, population density wise, there is twice as many people living in LONDON as my whole country

Just having a very hard time comprehending that sorry. That's 256 Megabits per second, which is faster then most fiber connections :/ Australia 4GX and Fiber is maxed at 100 Mb/s currently... (Think 4GX can hit 150)

Might want to look at the settings in your speedtest, pretty sure it defaults to Megabit.

Edit: Checked the Average 4G connection in London and it says it's 15 Mb/s, so I think something is wrong on your end, unless you own the ISP.

Desktop Build
Spoiler

Laptop
Spoiler
Current

Old - Given away

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries

Retired Devices:
NDS (Traded in)