AT&T Brings Back Unlimited - With a Catch

Suika

07c3bc8053e415fc8385196300bb911e.png

(click for source)

Honestly, some of the most shocking news I've heard in awhile.

If you've been watching AT&T, you would have thought they'd be making every attempt to get their subscribers out of the grandfathered unlimited plans. First, they kill contracts, so now you have to buy your phones outright to keep unlimited data. Next, they raise pricing (which after inflation, is the same as when the plan was first introduced). Now, they're offering unlimited again under a different plan, which has been some very surprising news to me - and I sell phones for AT&T.

As of tomorrow, all existing and new customers of DirecTV or U-Verse can switch to the new AT&T Unlimited Plan. The good news is that even if you use one of these services but don’t use the AT&T network, the carrier is currently offering a $500 credit if you switch from your current carrier to AT&T, trade in an eligible phone and buy a new phone on AT&T Next.

The catch I spoke about was sort of in that quote - you have to also be a subscriber to DirecTV or AT&T U-Verse to subscribe to the unlimited data plan. That's not extremely terrible, but it's unfortunate that it's a requirement to get it. Pricing isn't too bad either, it's very competitive with T-Mobile's current $90/month option (I say competitive because AT&T's coverage is superior). With the plan, you're looking at $100/month for one line, $40+ for the lines after, but the fourth like is free. So $180/month for unlimited everything for four people. Not bad.

The plan includes unlimited internet data and unlimited talk and text and will set you back $100/month and $40/month for additional devices. A fourth phone can be added free of charge, meaning you can sign up four devices to unlimited data for $180/month.

Of course, that pricing doesn't include the phones. You'll have to pay for those yourself on AT&T's plans through AT&T Next or BYOD, but T-Mobile does the same thing.

So what do you guys think? Is this reasonably priced? Is it about god damn time AT&T brought back the highly coveted unlimited data plan? Leave your thoughts below!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Let's be real here: There's always a catch.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Australia. Cable Internet. $75 with line rental included. Yeah for once AUstralia has an ISP that's doing better than the US equivalent.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I read somewhere they also start throttling speed at 22 GB/month

That is a lot of data anyway most users will not pass that amount unless they just don't pay for home internet.

Everyone in my city uses Dish and shitty verizon so.... lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Its amazing what companies are allowed to do In the US...

Agreed, we've had unlimited data plans for as long as i can remember here in Sweden, on the ISPs i've been with at least.

That is a lot of data anyway most users will not pass that amount unless they just don't pay for home internet.

Better then sprints 6gb throttle lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

I read somewhere they also start throttling speed at 22 GB/month

how unfortunate 22 GB a month xD

and even then it is still unlimited.

just slower.

Better then sprints 6gb throttle lol

You guys should be happy you even get unlimited... no unlimited in Canada.

Its amazing what companies are allowed to do In the US...

Capitalism bruh.  Sometimes it works well sometimes not so well.

I see @alpenwasser is viewing this topic. I love your build logs, man!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

No unlimted from Verizon either lol.

I think we pay $240 a month for 6GBs split between 3 people who all have smart phones

I think we pay $240 a month for 6GBs split between 3 people who all have smart phones

why not get project FI it is cheaper then that..........

We are 2 GB split among 3 people for $190 per month Only 2 have contracts left on them.

Unlimited being throttled at a reachable data cap is not unlimited

unlimited data doesn't = unlimited speed.

Maybe not available in his area or under parents?

Maybe not available in his area or under parents?

hes in murica its avaible

and don't make assumptions he will tell us why 

unless you go to wind. and even that is capped at 5gb. not to mention they're shit

I don't control anything, my parents I believe don't care.

Well, at least it's DirecTV and not Comcast cable TV (which is absolute SHIT)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs