This hard drive worth buying?

Litargirio
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

How much of a help will anti-vibration mounts be here? Also, how long is pretty quickly?

It should help quite a lot. 

It really depends on the drive, as well as some variable that aren't controllable. Take a look at BackBlaze's "testing" for the most reliable drives. Ironically, it shows what vibrations, excessive heat and other server-related conditions can do to drives when they're not designed for it. In BackBlaze's case, a lot of the drives (Seagate in-particular) are actually taken from external HDD enclosures, as well as refurb drives, which are clearly not designed for data server applications, hence the massive fail rate. 

AoR47gw.jpg

The place my dad works at is selling these, brand new, for like 16.5€ (18 USD) each. I wanted to buy a bunch for a storage server, but are they any good? Reliable? Worth the price?

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

AoR47gw.jpg

The place my dad works at is selling these, brand new, for like 16.5€ (18 USD) each. I wanted to buy a bunch, but are they any good? Reliable? Worth the price?

I mean, it's a Toshiba, so their pretty bad as HDD's go. If you need one or want one, you can get it because of the price, I would just make backup files.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

AoR47gw.jpg

The place my dad works at is selling these, brand new, for like 16.5€ (18 USD) each. I wanted to buy a bunch, but are they any good? Reliable? Worth the price?

Well, they are ussually a 40 dollar(usd) drive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149380

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

I mean, it's a Toshiba, so their pretty bad as HDD's go. If you need one or want one, you can get it because of the price, I would just make backup files.

Where did you get that Toshiba is a bad HDD manufacturer? 

AoR47gw.jpg

The place my dad works at is selling these, brand new, for like 16.5€ (18 USD) each. I wanted to buy a bunch for a storage server, but are they any good? Reliable? Worth the price?

yeah but put them in raid 1 tho if you can :) just in case

yeah but put them in raid 1 tho if you can  :) just in case

I'll prolly use raid 5.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

pretty bad as HDD's

Underperforming or unreliable?

Underperforming or unreliable?

They are hhd's now a days they are all going to be at least goodish if you know the name (or heard of it), it is a great deal even if it is a "badish" drive for 20 bucks (thats half off) its a grrrrreat deal!~ Cheers! Hope i helped. 

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

Neither. Toshiba is a reliable company. Depending on when it was made, it could essentially be a Hitachi drive since their 3.5" drive assets got sold to Toshiba. 

it was there first drive for (low power, high performance ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149380

Neither. Toshiba is a reliable company. Depending on when it was made, it could essentially be a Hitachi drive since their 3.5" drive assets got sold to Toshiba. 

I keep hearing this line touted around, Not sure where it comes from, but HGST is owned by Western Digital. From what I've read and what I understand, Toshiba bought manufacturing plants from Hitachi/WD, NOT drive technology. 

I know that this could be a pile of horseshit since it's just a comment on a Backblaze article, but I did find this:

Perhaps I can help clear this up. I used to work for HGST during the WD transition. HGST was short for Hitachi GST (Global Storage Technology) when it was owned by Hitachi. We had a strong footing in the enterprise level SAS and consumer SATA products (and still very much do) and when we merged with WD, there was concern about the name change as all our customers knew us as "HGST". So, the decision was made to keep the HGST acronym name, even though it technically no longer stands for "Hitachi GST". That's why you will see it as "HGST, a Western Digital Company". Customers still know they are dealing with HGST, the same people and products as before, they are just now owned by WD. I am not aware of any dealings with Toshiba and we do still develop consumer SATA products, although, the enterprise stuff usually gets priority. Before Hitachi, it was IBM's HDD company. HGST Deskstar products used to be IBM Deskstar products and were some of the most reliable drive on the market.

We operated very much like our own HDD company after the merge. We actually never changed from the original IBM culture. The only thing I felt like we had in common with the WD company was HR and the benefits, which sometimes didn't align, haha. While the companies had merged, we kept our own identity, culture, and products. That's why you will see both WD and HGST brands. Just think of it as a name tweak, and nothing more.

I keep hearing this line touted around, Not sure where it comes from, but HGST is owned by Western Digital. From what I've read and what I understand, Toshiba bought manufacturing plants from Hitachi/WD, NOT drive technology. 

I know that this could be a pile of horseshit since it's just a comment on a Backblaze article, but I did find this:

Perhaps I can help clear this up. I used to work for HGST during the WD transition. HGST was short for Hitachi GST (Global Storage Technology) when it was owned by Hitachi. We had a strong footing in the enterprise level SAS and consumer SATA products (and still very much do) and when we merged with WD, there was concern about the name change as all our customers knew us as "HGST". So, the decision was made to keep the HGST acronym name, even though it technically no longer stands for "Hitachi GST". That's why you will see it as "HGST, a Western Digital Company". Customers still know they are dealing with HGST, the same people and products as before, they are just now owned by WD. I am not aware of any dealings with Toshiba and we do still develop consumer SATA products, although, the enterprise stuff usually gets priority. Before Hitachi, it was IBM's HDD company. HGST Deskstar products used to be IBM Deskstar products and were some of the most reliable drive on the market.

We operated very much like our own HDD company after the merge. We actually never changed from the original IBM culture. The only thing I felt like we had in common with the WD company was HR and the benefits, which sometimes didn't align, haha. While the companies had merged, we kept our own identity, culture, and products. That's why you will see both WD and HGST brands. Just think of it as a name tweak, and nothing more.

They sold the entire 3.5" HDD business. WD wasn't allowed to buy out Hitachi when they still had it, so they had to sell it off. Manufacturing, patents, the whole lot. Toshiba used to only manufacture 2.5" HDDs, but continued Hitachi's 3.5" division when they bought it. 

The drive wouldn't actually be made by Hitachi, as far as I can tell, but it should be using their designs. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5635/western-digital-to-sell-hitachis-35-hard-drive-business-to-toshiba-complete-hitachi-buyout

"Western Digital will be allowed to acquire Hitachi’s 2.5” and SSD businesses, but not the 3.5” business. Instead Western Digital will be selling that business to Toshiba – factories and all – along with granting licenses for the necessary patents, which would allow Toshiba to effectively continue in the 3.5” market from where Hitachi left off.  This would firmly establish Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba as the 3 major players in the hard drive business across all product segments."

r]

Waste of money, effort and electricity. You'd need 12 of those drives to equal the storage capacity of a single 6TB drive. So that's $216 US, meanwhile you can buy a 6TB WD Blue for $214. Where are you going to find a case to hold 12 drives and a motherboard that you can plug that many drives into ? Not to mention the fact that that 12 drives spinning at 7200 rpm are going to be extremely efficient at converting copious amounts of electricity into noise and heat. 

Not every good deal is going to be an actual deal.

They sold the entire 3.5" HDD business. WD wasn't allowed to buy out Hitachi when they still had it, so they had to sell it off. Manufacturing, patents, the whole lot. Toshiba used to only manufacture 2.5" HDDs, but continued Hitachi's 3.5" division when they bought it. 

The drive wouldn't actually be made by Hitachi, as far as I can tell, but it should be using their designs. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5635/western-digital-to-sell-hitachis-35-hard-drive-business-to-toshiba-complete-hitachi-buyout

"Western Digital will be allowed to acquire Hitachi’s 2.5” and SSD businesses, but not the 3.5” business. Instead Western Digital will be selling that business to Toshiba – factories and all – along with granting licenses for the necessary patents, which would allow Toshiba to effectively continue in the 3.5” market from where Hitachi left off.  This would firmly establish Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba as the 3 major players in the hard drive business across all product segments."

Like I said, the comment that I copied could be a pile of horse shit. But the article you linked to clearly states that WD will be selling the factories but granting licenses for the patents. Just because they are licensed to use the patents, doesn't meant they are making the exact same drive.

I honestly don't know, but judging by reliability reports, although HGST is owned by WD, they are definitely not just producing rebranded WD drives as their reliability has shown to be better than WD drives. 

All that being said, I would take a Toshiba drive any of the week over a Seagate and I would not hesitate for a second in using a Toshiba SSD.

Waste of money, effort and electricity. You'd need 12 of those drives to equal the storage capacity of a single 6TB drive. So that's $216 US, meanwhile you can buy a 6TB WD Blue for $214. Where are you going to find a case to hold 12 drives and a motherboard that you can plug that many drives into ? Not to mention the fact that that 12 drives spinning at 7200 rpm are going to be extremely efficient at converting copious amounts of electricity into noise and heat. 

Not every good deal is going to be an actual deal.

You are missing the point that I want to make a storage server. Actually I only need 6 drives, which is not that hard to put in a case

More drives gives me more reliability because I can raid 5 them, whereas a single 6TB hard drive... well, you can't raid a single drive, meaning that the storage server also wouldn't tolerate drive failure, which is bad. Unless you were to buy a second 6TB drive, but this would waste the entire second drive for redundancy, and all the money that was spent into it, making it a terrible value for the money, because:

6TB WD Blue for $214 makes 0,0356 dollars per gigabyte

500GB Toshiba for $18 makes 0,036 dollars per gigabyte

And since using more drives wastes less storage for redundancy, the smaller drives are much more desirable than the single large drive.

You are missing the point that I want to make a storage server. Actually I only need 6 drives, which is not that hard to put in a case

More drives gives me more reliability because I can raid 5 them, whereas a single 6TB hard drive... well, you can't raid a single drive, meaning that the storage server also wouldn't tolerate drive failure, which is bad. Unless you were to buy a second 6TB drive, but this would waste the entire second drive for redundancy, and all the money that was spent into it, making it a terrible value for the money, because:

6TB WD Blue for $214 makes 0,0356 dollars per gigabyte

500GB Toshiba for $18 makes 0,036 dollars per gigabyte

And since using more drives wastes less storage for redundancy, the smaller drives are much more desirable than the single large drive.

Bear in mind these drives are likely not optimised to be operating 24/7 in close proximity to multiple other drives. Vibrations can very easily kill drives pretty quick. You'd probably be better off buying two WD Red type drives for RAID 1 operation. That way you get redundancy with drives that are designed for that type of workload and situation. 

Bear in mind these drives are likely not optimised to be operating 24/7 in close proximity to multiple other drives. Vibrations can very easily kill drives pretty quick. You'd probably be better off buying two WD Red type drives for RAID 1 operation. That way you get redundancy with drives that are designed for that type of workload and situation. 

How much of a help will anti-vibration mounts be here? Also, how long is pretty quickly?

It should help quite a lot. 

It really depends on the drive, as well as some variable that aren't controllable. Take a look at BackBlaze's "testing" for the most reliable drives. Ironically, it shows what vibrations, excessive heat and other server-related conditions can do to drives when they're not designed for it. In BackBlaze's case, a lot of the drives (Seagate in-particular) are actually taken from external HDD enclosures, as well as refurb drives, which are clearly not designed for data server applications, hence the massive fail rate.