ekwb supremacy msi z97 krait. cpu contact issue

Pandora
Go to solution Solved by Pandora,

I don't know about the shim since I never saw anybody using this.

Does the CPU block hit some of the capacitors around the CPU socket or is everything fine there too?

as far as i can tell its not hitting any compactors on its way down. 

so last night in a fit of desperation i removed the top vrm block and what would you know it fit! :D ( was able to put the vrm block on after the water block.)

with my eyes i dont see the top block interfering at all but i guess it does. maybe this mother board is slightly out of spec.

it explains why i was able to mount it when the water block slightly askew.

i still dont think it is seated 100% properly becuase tempatures are little bit high 80 degrees at 1.29v 4.6 ghz under gaming load so i bumped my system to 4.5 at 1.19v and its all good.

you might want to update the compatibility for this cooler and this motherboard or maybe mine is a little out of spec.

I have never seen this before!

Just to make sure, did you install the backplate like it's stated in step 5b in the instructions?

https://shop.ekwb.com/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109800065.pdf

The ribbed side up

i have tried both ways. i get the same results

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

I have never seen this before!

Just to make sure, did you install the backplate like it's stated in step 5b in the instructions?

https://shop.ekwb.com/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109800065.pdf

The ribbed side up

here is a picture of how i mount without the motherboard

http://imgur.com/a/Ykozf

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

well the copper shim failed. cpu reached 95 degrees under load.

It's very weird!

From the look of your recent pictures, the CPU block align correctly with the backplate.

I'm a bit at a lost here :(

It's very weird!

From the look of your recent pictures, the CPU block align correctly with the backplate.

I'm a bit at a lost here :(

so am i. im super confused and i dont know what to do. on the ekwb website its listed as phisicaly tested compatable with the mother board so i dont know what to do. 

i ordered a diffrent copper shim rather then using the home made one i have.

do you know how badly that might affect temps?

so am i. im super confused and i dont know what to do. on the ekwb website its listed as phisicaly tested compatable with the mother board so i dont know what to do. 

i ordered a diffrent copper shim rather then using the home made one i have.

do you know how badly that might affect temps?

Does the CPU block hit some of the capacitors around the CPU socket or is everything fine there too?

as far as i can tell its not hitting any compactors on its way down. 

so last night in a fit of desperation i removed the top vrm block and what would you know it fit! :D ( was able to put the vrm block on after the water block.)

with my eyes i dont see the top block interfering at all but i guess it does. maybe this mother board is slightly out of spec.

it explains why i was able to mount it when the water block slightly askew.

i still dont think it is seated 100% properly becuase tempatures are little bit high 80 degrees at 1.29v 4.6 ghz under gaming load so i bumped my system to 4.5 at 1.19v and its all good.

you might want to update the compatibility for this cooler and this motherboard or maybe mine is a little out of spec.