Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Overkilled

Should weed be legal? [Discussion]

What makes someone else think they can dictate another person's life and habits? I really want the answer to this, and no one against legalizing weed can answer  it (at least logically). If someone can smoke, drink, abort, own guns or whatnot, why can't someone have a little weed? Smoking, drinking and driving harms more people than weed, and yet they remain perfectly legal...

No harm will come to you if you stand next to a smoker smoking a cigarette, I assure you.

The famous story of second hand smoke is of course Roy Castle who died of lung cancer after breathing in too mcuh second-hand smoke from his audience.

I get that you don't want it to be breathed at your face or stand in a closed space with someone smoking but the damage is negligible.

It will do you more damage eating a bacon sandwich than stand next to someone smoking.

I breathe crap all day, every day just by living in a city. I don't need people to add to it by smoking, especially near to me. Furthermore the smell is disgusting. All studies in the matter prove that second hand smoke is harmful. I don't care how much exposure I need to get serious damage, as far as I'm concerned ANY damage or disturbance (smell) is unacceptable given there are no benefits. On top of that the more readily available it is the easier it is for a minor to get a hold of it. Smoking is 100% undefendable - the only reason people make up excuses for it is that at this point they're too addicted to stop.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Maybe less people would be fat if they exercized and stopped listening to the food pyramid. Sadly, the government created and fully supports the food pyramid, and people are more worried about working than working out.

GEE.

PEOPLE TAKING THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL INITIATIVE  FOR THEIR OWN WELL-BEING?

NAH, RESTRICTING CALORIES HAS THE POSSIBILITY FOR SEVERE HEALTH PROBLEMS.

That's your logic on drugs applied to food.

People would be less fat if we invested more in high-quality education and infrastructure.

The food pyramid is shit, but only because it's basic as fuck not because it's terrible for the average McFatass/Amerifat.

If you want those gains you need to change your diet to fit your lifestyle.

Case in point, IIFYM.

You can be 200 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal while also enjoying burgers, pizza, wings, and pop-tarts if you know what you're doing and taking the proper precautions to avoid being at a caloric surplus/deficit while still being nutritionally sated.

LIKE DRUGS.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Your illogically is befuddling. If you're going to maintain a ban on marijuana and other illicit drugs because of the potential health risks it poses to individuals and society, you would need to focus on our food supply first and foremost. And then maybe the way doctors and pharmaceuticals push drugs onto patients. There are far bigger fish to fry than worrying about some folks wanting to smoke a joint when they're off work.

The thing is, it's the "folks wanting to smoke a joint" that keep trying to get attention on the matter. Right now it's illegal in a lot of countries and nobody would even be thinking about it if stoners didn't keep bringing it up. It's a fish that's already been fried, and if potheads stopped making a fuss about it maybe the government wouldn't be wasting time thinking about it. As for food supply, again, the fact that there's something worse doesn't mean the other thing is good.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

-snip-

-snip-

I actually have to agree, it's unfair that someone else should be inhaling the same fumes that you inhale.

If you want your nicotine try gum, patches, chew, or smoke when you are alone or in agreeing/allowing company.

Not in public with strangers who didn't consent to that.

You can be 200 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal while also enjoying burgers, pizza, wings, and pop-tarts if you know what you're doing and taking the proper precautions to avoid being at a caloric surplus/deficit while still being nutritionally sated.

LIKE DRUGS.

Pizza doesn't give you hallucinations or addiction, nor does it deposit garbage in your lungs, and neither does it bother other people with the smell. In fact, pizza in itself (or burgers or wings or whatever) isn't even particularly bad for your health - if it's made properly. The problem is that most of the time (at least in the US) it ISN'T made properly. It is made using poorly sourced ingredients and speed optimized but terrible cooking. Proper pizza, while not being ideal if you're trying to loose weight, doesn't contain any substance that could be considered harmful.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

snip

Drugs aren't food. Sure, you can do drugs in moderation, it still hurts you. That's why I won't smoke, and I won't drink often. Things that are already legal (alcohol, cigarettes) would be SUPER hard to ban without lots of backlash, but if something's already illegal we don't need it to be legal.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up

[You are] befuddling

Bear in mind that Kobathor is th voice of the US right wing on this forum.

It appears to me that his arguments come straight from Fox News or Katy Hopkins' column in the Sun.

You can't have a thread on this forum about anthing redarded as "political" in America such as guns, taxes, healthcare, religion etc without his presence.

I am at the point now that I simply take his posts in jest and if they are his actual opinions then I'll have to agree to disagree.

I breathe crap all day, every day just by living in a city. I don't need people to add to it by smoking, especially near to me. Furthermore the smell is disgusting. All studies in the matter prove that second hand smoke is harmful. I don't care how much exposure I need to get serious damage, as far as I'm concerned ANY damage or disturbance (smell) is unacceptable given there are no benefits. On top of that the more readily available it is the easier it is for a minor to get a hold of it. Smoking is 100% undefendable - the only reason people make up excuses for it is that at this point they're too addicted to stop.

I'm not saying that second hand smoke is harmless, rather that it's ridiculous to have such an adverse reaction to such a small problem.

After all, we all co-exist on this planet so what's the point in ignoring a major group of society for minor health benefits?

As far as many people are concerned there is no benefit to body odour which by this post, you would define as a disturbance. Should we walk away from someone just because they have body odour? No, it's rude.

I actually have to agree, it's unfair that someone else should be inhaling the same fumes that you inhale.

If you want your nicotine try gum, patches, chew, or smoke when you are alone or in agreeing/allowing company.

Not in public with strangers who didn't consent to that.

I'm not saying it's fair that you should be inhaling a smoker's smoke but it is rude to have such a reaction to such a minor issue (for example holding your breath when passing a smoker).

It just doesn't seem socially acceptable in my eyes to do that (marginalising smokers) for such a minor health benefit to yorself.

You should'nt just stand there breathing it in but I just think it's horrible to be rude about it like many non-smokers are.

Nope. Too many vices as it is, and we don't need to make another one more accessible. And I'm not just pointing the finger at alcohol, weed, gambling, and tobacco. Anything can be used as a coping mechanism, from food to impulse buying.

You could even argue games are a coping mechanism if you really wanted.

Pizza doesn't give you hallucinations or addiction, nor does it deposit garbage in your lungs, and neither does it bother other people with the smell. In fact, pizza in itself (or burgers or wings or whatever) isn't even particularly bad for your health - if it's made properly. The problem is that most of the time (at least in the US) it ISN'T made properly. It is made using poorly sourced ingredients and speed optimized but terrible cooking. Proper pizza, while not being ideal if you're trying to loose weight, doesn't contain any substance that could be considered harmful.

We're discussing the dangers of calorically dense foods and their impact on obesity, whether they should be banned for being "bad" or stay accessible because it's not the food that is actually bad.

It's the same scenario when discussing drugs and their impact with regards to safety and responsibility.

Yes, Heroin isn't particularly bad for your health either given it's "made properly" just like pizza.

Doesn't mean heroin and pizza can't harm you, or is moron-proof.

Overconsumption of calories, fats, and simple sugars is incredibly harmful.

ALL commercial pizzas are like this.

I can eat the "bad" pizza because i know how to manage my diet to still meet my dietary needs.

I can eat the "bad" drug because i know how to manage my body to still reduce any neuro/cardio toxicity.

The point is the dosage and precautions taken.

I'm not saying that second hand smoke is harmless, rather that it's ridiculous to have such an adverse reaction to such a small problem.

After all, we all co-exist on this planet so what's the point in ignoring a major group of society for minor health benefits?

As far as many people are concerned there is no benefit to body odour which by this post, you would define as a disturbance. Should we walk away from someone just because they have body odour? No, it's rude.

Ignoring a major grup of society? What are you talking about? Homeless get ignored. People starving all over the world get ignored. Overworked and underpaid chinese kids are ignored. Are you telling me that not wanting to breathe your garbage is "ignoring" you or your needs? By "smell" I refer to the smell of the cigarette, which in turn remains on the smoker. If I farted right in front of you, would you consider it rude to walk away from me?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

You could even argue games are a coping mechanism if you really wanted.

A big misconception is that recreational drug use is only a type of coping mechanism.

But yes, video games can be a coping mechanism.

I have a friend who's addicted to DOTA 2.

I mean actually addicted, he's spent a lot of money in that game and literally dumped his entire social life because of post-high school depression.

We're discussing the dangers of calorically dense foods and their impact on obesity, whether they should be banned for being "bad" or stay accessible because it's not the food that is actually bad.

It's the same scenario when discussing drugs and their impact with regards to safety and responsibility.

Yes, Heroin isn't particularly bad for your health either given it's "made properly" just like pizza.

Doesn't mean heroin and pizza can't harm you, or is moron-proof.

Overconsumption of calories, fats, and simple sugars is incredibly harmful.

ALL commercial pizzas are like this.

I can eat the "bad" pizza because i know how to manage my diet to still meet my dietary needs.

I can eat the "bad" drug because i know how to manage my body to still reduce any neuro/cardio toxicity.

The point is the dosage and precautions taken.

Food is necessary in one form or another - you can die even if you only eat salad, and your being fat hardly affects anyone else. Joints are just a whim (unless they're under prescription) and once again, in very few occasions only the user is affected - even if there are smart people who'd avoid affecting others, there will always be the dickheads who won't care.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

You don't know anything about dietetics, do you?

Hard drugs, sorry. And not ones that are prescribed. Prescribed marijuana? Cool, you can do it since it would better your health.

I'm not saying it's fair that you should be inhaling a smoker's smoke but it is rude to have such a reaction to such a minor issue (for example holding your breath when passing a smoker).

It just doesn't seem socially acceptable in my eyes to do that (marginalising smokers) for such a minor health benefit to yorself.

You should'nt just stand there breathing it in but I just think it's horrible to be rude about it like many non-smokers are.

The fuck do i care about being rude when we're talking about unconsenting people's health that are actually affected by your drug use? hahahahaha

I mean yeah, if it's like a park and some soccer mom comes over from 10 yards away to tell you to fuck off then that's totally unnecessary, but actually inhaling the fumes is not the same as smoker stigma.

Food really does have addictive properties to it, at least some do. The brain rewards intake of high calorie and high fat foods with endorphins. Explains why I feel like shit every time I cut down on my sugar and carb consumption

Ignoring a major grup of society? What are you talking about? Homeless get ignored. People starving all over the world get ignored. Overworked and underpaid chinese kids are ignored. Are you telling me that not wanting to breathe your garbage is "ignoring" you or your needs? By "smell" I refer to the smell of the cigarette, which in turn remains on the smoker. If I farted right in front of you, would you consider it rude to walk away from me?

I'm not a smoker myself, I just think it's rude to marginalise someone for this because one thinks that they're going to contract lung cancer from it. It's ludicrous.

I'd also like to add that you're taking this argument out of proportion. It's the good ol' "why should we be focussing on poor families here when there are poorer families in africa".

The discussion was about smoking so I made my views apparant that smokers are being marginalised, particularly in the case of overreactions to second-hand smoke. It doesn't mean that I'm denying that other groups around the world are being treated poorly. Everyone's issues matter.

The fuck do i care about being rude when we're talking about unconsenting people's health that are actually affected by your drug use? hahahahaha

I mean yeah, if it's like a park and some soccer mom comes over from 10 yards away to tell you to fuck off then that's totally unnecessary, but actually inhaling the fumes is not the same as smoker stigma.

I'm talking about doing it in an over-the-top style

Food is necessary in one form or another - you can die even if you only eat salad, and your being fat hardly affects anyone else. Joints are just a whim (unless they're under prescription) and once again, in very few occasions only the user is affected - even if there are smart people who'd avoid affecting others, there will always be the dickheads who won't care.

So don't smoke.

Be a good boy and take your marijuana via a chocolate bar.

If you're saying a ham planet eating a McFatty meal doesn't hurt others then the same logic will apply to recreationally used drugs taken orally or intravenously.

It's that easy; you can have your cake and eat it too.

No one's going to smoke in your face like no one's going to stick an I.V. of mayonnaise in your veins when you sleep.

Food really does have addictive properties to it, at least some do. The brain rewards intake of high calorie and high fat foods with endorphins. Explains why I feel like shit every time I cut down on my sugar and carb consumption

Dopamine, but yes.

"why should we be focussing on poor families here when there are poorer families in africa".

That's not even close to what I said. It's more like, "there are way more important things than some people's sick 'need' to hurt themselves". Smokers being marginalized? Where? And are you seriously asking me to breathe garbage to not "marginalize" these people? Again, back to the fart example - wouldn't you (rightfully) "magrinalize" someone who regularly farts in your vicinity?

So don't smoke.

Be a good boy and take your marijuana via a chocolate bar.

If you're saying a ham planet eating a McFatty meal doesn't hurt others then the same logic will apply to recreationally used drugs taken orally or intravenously.

It's that easy; you can have your cake and eat it too.

No one's going to smoke in your face like no one's going to stick an I.V. of mayonnaise in your veins when you sleep.

Again, food does not give you hallucinations and doesn't lower your control over your actions (except for alcohol of course). Even if others aren't exposed to the drug, they're exposed to the user, and I wouldn't like to be at a bus stop with 4 guys high on drugs. A fat person won't be any less in control of himself than if he was thin as a needle.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

I think it should be legal, since its basically harmless and in the same category of substances like alcohol. Also it would cut down on a LOT of people getting fined and/or thrown into jail for something so silly :P Plus its pretty fun but the stigma of being illegal turns a lot of people away from it :/ 

As someone who has tried it several times I would say I'm 50/50. The reason is for this is that the area I live in a huge amount of teens uses it and it has quite drastic consequences on their lives, note I'm speaking of it's effects in my community alone. A lot of people would say that weed is just a gateway drug but that is only partially true, for me that depends on the person using it. I've done it a few times but I never liked it back then when I was in my teens because I never found what makes it such an enjoyment to many people so I never sticked with using it and the same goes for alchocol. However many of my friends and people that I know who also did it moved on to more powerful drugs or even just became addicted to weed and when I do seem them often I actually feel sorry for them because they would be filthy and dirty etc. I personally have no problem with weed being legal but rather make it legal only to certain areas or age groups but in my area hell no children are smoking it from 12 years already even younger where I tried it for my first time when I was 19. 

TBH it's no worse than alcohol

No reason for it to be illegal. Alcohol is just as bad.

As for "but teens and kids will get it!"

They already get their hands on it from sketchy people. Rather them have their hands on some legitimately grown stuff than some weird crap that could be laced with a ton of stuff.

Besides if the govt sells it to people, or they tax it then that's going to help the government.

We need less legal drugs, not more.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!