Should weed be legal? [Discussion]

Overkilled
Go to solution Solved by Albatross,

What makes someone else think they can dictate another person's life and habits? I really want the answer to this, and no one against legalizing weed can answer  it (at least logically). If someone can smoke, drink, abort, own guns or whatnot, why can't someone have a little weed? Smoking, drinking and driving harms more people than weed, and yet they remain perfectly legal...

Pizza doesn't give you hallucinations or addiction, nor does it deposit garbage in your lungs, and neither does it bother other people with the smell. In fact, pizza in itself (or burgers or wings or whatever) isn't even particularly bad for your health - if it's made properly. The problem is that most of the time (at least in the US) it ISN'T made properly. It is made using poorly sourced ingredients and speed optimized but terrible cooking. Proper pizza, while not being ideal if you're trying to loose weight, doesn't contain any substance that could be considered harmful.

We're discussing the dangers of calorically dense foods and their impact on obesity, whether they should be banned for being "bad" or stay accessible because it's not the food that is actually bad.

It's the same scenario when discussing drugs and their impact with regards to safety and responsibility.

Yes, Heroin isn't particularly bad for your health either given it's "made properly" just like pizza.

Doesn't mean heroin and pizza can't harm you, or is moron-proof.

Overconsumption of calories, fats, and simple sugars is incredibly harmful.

ALL commercial pizzas are like this.

I can eat the "bad" pizza because i know how to manage my diet to still meet my dietary needs.

I can eat the "bad" drug because i know how to manage my body to still reduce any neuro/cardio toxicity.

The point is the dosage and precautions taken.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Drugs aren't food, dumbass. Sure, you can do drugs in moderation, it still hurts you.

You don't know anything about dietetics, do you?

I'm not saying that second hand smoke is harmless, rather that it's ridiculous to have such an adverse reaction to such a small problem.

After all, we all co-exist on this planet so what's the point in ignoring a major group of society for minor health benefits?

As far as many people are concerned there is no benefit to body odour which by this post, you would define as a disturbance. Should we walk away from someone just because they have body odour? No, it's rude.

Ignoring a major grup of society? What are you talking about? Homeless get ignored. People starving all over the world get ignored. Overworked and underpaid chinese kids are ignored. Are you telling me that not wanting to breathe your garbage is "ignoring" you or your needs? By "smell" I refer to the smell of the cigarette, which in turn remains on the smoker. If I farted right in front of you, would you consider it rude to walk away from me?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You could even argue games are a coping mechanism if you really wanted.

A big misconception is that recreational drug use is only a type of coping mechanism.

But yes, video games can be a coping mechanism.

I have a friend who's addicted to DOTA 2.

I mean actually addicted, he's spent a lot of money in that game and literally dumped his entire social life because of post-high school depression.

We're discussing the dangers of calorically dense foods and their impact on obesity, whether they should be banned for being "bad" or stay accessible because it's not the food that is actually bad.

It's the same scenario when discussing drugs and their impact with regards to safety and responsibility.

Yes, Heroin isn't particularly bad for your health either given it's "made properly" just like pizza.

Doesn't mean heroin and pizza can't harm you, or is moron-proof.

Overconsumption of calories, fats, and simple sugars is incredibly harmful.

ALL commercial pizzas are like this.

I can eat the "bad" pizza because i know how to manage my diet to still meet my dietary needs.

I can eat the "bad" drug because i know how to manage my body to still reduce any neuro/cardio toxicity.

The point is the dosage and precautions taken.

Food is necessary in one form or another - you can die even if you only eat salad, and your being fat hardly affects anyone else. Joints are just a whim (unless they're under prescription) and once again, in very few occasions only the user is affected - even if there are smart people who'd avoid affecting others, there will always be the dickheads who won't care.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You don't know anything about dietetics, do you?

Hard drugs, sorry. And not ones that are prescribed. Prescribed marijuana? Cool, you can do it since it would better your health.

I used to be quite active here.

I'm not saying it's fair that you should be inhaling a smoker's smoke but it is rude to have such a reaction to such a minor issue (for example holding your breath when passing a smoker).

It just doesn't seem socially acceptable in my eyes to do that (marginalising smokers) for such a minor health benefit to yorself.

You should'nt just stand there breathing it in but I just think it's horrible to be rude about it like many non-smokers are.

The fuck do i care about being rude when we're talking about unconsenting people's health that are actually affected by your drug use? hahahahaha

I mean yeah, if it's like a park and some soccer mom comes over from 10 yards away to tell you to fuck off then that's totally unnecessary, but actually inhaling the fumes is not the same as smoker stigma.

Food really does have addictive properties to it, at least some do. The brain rewards intake of high calorie and high fat foods with endorphins. Explains why I feel like shit every time I cut down on my sugar and carb consumption

Ignoring a major grup of society? What are you talking about? Homeless get ignored. People starving all over the world get ignored. Overworked and underpaid chinese kids are ignored. Are you telling me that not wanting to breathe your garbage is "ignoring" you or your needs? By "smell" I refer to the smell of the cigarette, which in turn remains on the smoker. If I farted right in front of you, would you consider it rude to walk away from me?

I'm not a smoker myself, I just think it's rude to marginalise someone for this because one thinks that they're going to contract lung cancer from it. It's ludicrous.

I'd also like to add that you're taking this argument out of proportion. It's the good ol' "why should we be focussing on poor families here when there are poorer families in africa".

The discussion was about smoking so I made my views apparant that smokers are being marginalised, particularly in the case of overreactions to second-hand smoke. It doesn't mean that I'm denying that other groups around the world are being treated poorly. Everyone's issues matter.

The fuck do i care about being rude when we're talking about unconsenting people's health that are actually affected by your drug use? hahahahaha

I mean yeah, if it's like a park and some soccer mom comes over from 10 yards away to tell you to fuck off then that's totally unnecessary, but actually inhaling the fumes is not the same as smoker stigma.

I'm talking about doing it in an over-the-top style

Food is necessary in one form or another - you can die even if you only eat salad, and your being fat hardly affects anyone else. Joints are just a whim (unless they're under prescription) and once again, in very few occasions only the user is affected - even if there are smart people who'd avoid affecting others, there will always be the dickheads who won't care.

So don't smoke.

Be a good boy and take your marijuana via a chocolate bar.

If you're saying a ham planet eating a McFatty meal doesn't hurt others then the same logic will apply to recreationally used drugs taken orally or intravenously.

It's that easy; you can have your cake and eat it too.

No one's going to smoke in your face like no one's going to stick an I.V. of mayonnaise in your veins when you sleep.

Food really does have addictive properties to it, at least some do. The brain rewards intake of high calorie and high fat foods with endorphins. Explains why I feel like shit every time I cut down on my sugar and carb consumption

Dopamine, but yes.

"why should we be focussing on poor families here when there are poorer families in africa".

That's not even close to what I said. It's more like, "there are way more important things than some people's sick 'need' to hurt themselves". Smokers being marginalized? Where? And are you seriously asking me to breathe garbage to not "marginalize" these people? Again, back to the fart example - wouldn't you (rightfully) "magrinalize" someone who regularly farts in your vicinity?

So don't smoke.

Be a good boy and take your marijuana via a chocolate bar.

If you're saying a ham planet eating a McFatty meal doesn't hurt others then the same logic will apply to recreationally used drugs taken orally or intravenously.

It's that easy; you can have your cake and eat it too.

No one's going to smoke in your face like no one's going to stick an I.V. of mayonnaise in your veins when you sleep.

Again, food does not give you hallucinations and doesn't lower your control over your actions (except for alcohol of course). Even if others aren't exposed to the drug, they're exposed to the user, and I wouldn't like to be at a bus stop with 4 guys high on drugs. A fat person won't be any less in control of himself than if he was thin as a needle.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think it should be legal, since its basically harmless and in the same category of substances like alcohol. Also it would cut down on a LOT of people getting fined and/or thrown into jail for something so silly :P Plus its pretty fun but the stigma of being illegal turns a lot of people away from it :/ 

As someone who has tried it several times I would say I'm 50/50. The reason is for this is that the area I live in a huge amount of teens uses it and it has quite drastic consequences on their lives, note I'm speaking of it's effects in my community alone. A lot of people would say that weed is just a gateway drug but that is only partially true, for me that depends on the person using it. I've done it a few times but I never liked it back then when I was in my teens because I never found what makes it such an enjoyment to many people so I never sticked with using it and the same goes for alchocol. However many of my friends and people that I know who also did it moved on to more powerful drugs or even just became addicted to weed and when I do seem them often I actually feel sorry for them because they would be filthy and dirty etc. I personally have no problem with weed being legal but rather make it legal only to certain areas or age groups but in my area hell no children are smoking it from 12 years already even younger where I tried it for my first time when I was 19. 

TBH it's no worse than alcohol

No reason for it to be illegal. Alcohol is just as bad.

As for "but teens and kids will get it!"

They already get their hands on it from sketchy people. Rather them have their hands on some legitimately grown stuff than some weird crap that could be laced with a ton of stuff.

Besides if the govt sells it to people, or they tax it then that's going to help the government.

We need less legal drugs, not more.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Again, food does not give you hallucinations and doesn't lower your control over your actions (except for alcohol of course). Even if others aren't exposed to the drug, they're exposed to the user, and I wouldn't like to be at a bus stop with 4 guys high on drugs. A fat person won't be any less in control of himself than if he was thin as a needle.

Again, We're discussing the dangers of calorically dense foods and their impact on obesity, whether they should be banned for being "bad" or stay accessible because it's not the food that is actually bad.

Yes, there are foods that can in fact cause hallucinations, and yes, obesity has been shown to have a strong correlation with neurotoxicity and cardiotoxicity due to food choices and overconsumption which overstimulate dopamine receptors.

I don't know how you think certain drugs work, but they're not all the same and it would be a treat to sit with 4-guys that have taken empathogens.

No one taking marijuana is going to experience hyper-aggression, if that's what you're on about

You're labeling things very broadly because you don't understand what they are, and i get that it's scary for you to humor the idea that subjectivity is actually the norm; this will be my last response to you because i find i have to keep repeating myself.

Go look at my previous answers, or don't.

Actually the most dangerous part about weed is probably the effects of smoking it. If you make a pot brownie (which is actually food) and eat it then its exceptional safe

Then they drive and kill people, same as alcohol. 

We don't need more drugs. Alcohol is only here because it's been around forever, and in moderation it's "good" for you. Weed is only bad, only harms the body, only gets you addicted. That's my view on it.

There is no physical addiction to weed. You'd get addicted to coffee before you'd have any sort of dependency for weed

There is no physical addiction to weed. You'd get addicted to coffee before you'd have any sort of dependency for weed

I posted this earlier. 

I already gave known (do not currently frequently contact) two people who were (WERE) 100% dependent on pot to stay any kind of sane. One is better now, and the other one (last I checked, a while ago) is still totally dependent to this day. No other drug works, and therapy hasn't worked great (the second one has been through therapy twice, always goes back to the drug.) It's always person to person, not everybody is the same, but when people do lots of a thing they'll probably get addicted. How do you think people get addicted to things like video games? No substances to get them addicted, so how does it happen? 

I used to be quite active here.

why stop at weed? let's legalize medical cocain and sell meth in toy stores

That's one slippery slope you got there. But legit, every drug should be legal to possess and use, but illegal to sell.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

It's only illegal because of of the timber industry and a cultural stigma, it has potential side affects (mostly if you use it as an adolescent) but when compared to legal things like alcohol it's relatively harmless, I see no harm in legalizing especially given the fact that it is easy to get (in the US) despite being illegal, protecting people from themselves is not the role of government imo.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well I have seen some major pot-heads in my life and although I have smoked before I think for the sake of those people abusing it.....well it should stay illegal or become illegal depending on where you are. Weed just makes people really stupid. First only while you are high and if you do it on a regular basis it might even just make you stupid in general.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)