Should weed be legal? [Discussion]

Overkilled
Go to solution Solved by Albatross,

What makes someone else think they can dictate another person's life and habits? I really want the answer to this, and no one against legalizing weed can answer  it (at least logically). If someone can smoke, drink, abort, own guns or whatnot, why can't someone have a little weed? Smoking, drinking and driving harms more people than weed, and yet they remain perfectly legal...

alcohol in reasonable doses has no nasty side effects unless you already have problems. what I'd do is make being drunk illegal.

Literally, any alcohol at all accelerates aging hahahaha

"If you ain't first, you're last"

So because of your experiences with two people it should be banned for all people? And let's say marijuana never existed at all, do you think person B would be a contributing member to society, or would have found some other reason/substance to stay in their parents' basement doing nothing? And while person B's lifestyle is not one I would choose, who is to say he isn't happy? Correlation does not mean causation. Marijuana can be used as an easy excuse to basically 'drop out' of life, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of those people would 'drop out' without marijuana anyways. The bad apples are the ones you always remember, but I can almost guarantee you've dealt with daily marijuana smokers every day of your life and never even knew it. Do you listen to music? Enjoy art? Watch movies? Like food? Who are your favorite musicians, artists, filmmakers, chefs? I'd be willing to bet the gross majority of them all created something you enjoy while high on marijuana. Are they a detriment to society?

I would say it's more than 2 people that are like that. Like, a whole lot more. Not just marijuana, I'm sure, but lots of people either way. 

Both of those two people were influenced by another person into trying the specific drug. If marijuana didn't exist, I'd say the potheads that pressured them probably wouldn't be doing pot. I'm pretty sure it's difficult to get addicted to marijuana by yourself with no outside influence. If it didn't exist, I'm sure my second example wouldn't be a pothead, since before he became one he was very productive. 

Also, I'm sure the only entertainment I enjoy where the writers were probably on drugs (as you described) is 70's, 80's and 90's rock. And I don't listen to much of it. All the rest is YouTube, some movies, and other music. 

I used to be quite active here.

I would say it's more than 2 people that are like that. Like, a whole lot more. Not just marijuana, I'm sure, but lots of people either way. 

Both of those two people were influenced by another person into trying the specific drug. If marijuana didn't exist, I'd say the potheads that pressured them probably wouldn't be doing pot. I'm pretty sure it's difficult to get addicted to marijuana by yourself with no outside influence. If it didn't exist, I'm sure my second example wouldn't be a pothead, since before he became one he was very productive. 

Also, I'm sure the only entertainment I enjoy where the writers were probably on drugs (as you described) is 70's, 80's and 90's rock. And I don't listen to much of it. All the rest is YouTube, some movies, and other music. 

So you're playing 'Catcher in the Rye,' trying to keep everyone from being hurt? It's a noble effort, but one person cannot decide another's happiness, that is up to the individual alone. I'm also 100% sure you can't be physically addicted to marijuana, as there are plenty of studies that prove this. It is habit-forming, and could be mentally addictive, but you WILL NOT experience physical withdrawl, like that with alcohol, tobacco, heroin, cocaine, etc. Your whole argument is based on anectodal evidence which is not enough to base any public policy. And if you're basing the illegality of marijuana on risk of addiction, sugar, fat, salt and plenty of other 'everyday' items and activities should be banned as well.

So you're playing 'Catcher in the Rye,' trying to keep everyone from being hurt? It's a noble effort, but one person cannot decide another's happiness, that is up to the individual alone. I'm also 100% sure you can't be physically addicted to marijuana, as there are plenty of studies that prove this. It is habit-forming, and could be mentally addictive, but you WILL NOT experience physical withdrawl, like that with alcohol, tobacco, heroin, cocaine, etc. Your whole argument is based on anectodal evidence which is not enough to base any public policy. And if you're basing the illegality of marijuana on risk of addiction, sugar, fat, salt and plenty of other 'everyday' items and activities should be banned as well.

I think somebody else has already said this here, but being addicted to a drug is not just bad for the person, but bad for the people around them. Drunks? They physically abuse people, and drive drunk. Cigarettes hurt people through second hand smoke, and distracted drivers. You're saying anybody should be able to do whatever they want to themselves because "it's their body?" You should be calling for the legalization of all drugs then, like meth, speed, acid ect because "it's their body!" 

You're saying anybody should be able to do whatever they want to themselves because "it's their body?" You should be calling for the legalization of all drugs then, like meth, speed, acid ect because "it's their body!" 

I am.

Well-regulated and legalized drugs, just like all the other drugs.

I am.

Well-regulated and legalized drugs, just like all the other drugs.

You guys are insane. Regulated meth? Regulated acid? Get out of America. 

What's that drug named after a crocodile, that literally melts your skin? Go do that for a while. 

I think somebody else has already said this here, but being addicted to a drug is not just bad for the person, but bad for the people around them. Drunks? They physically abuse people, and drive drunk. Cigarettes hurt people through second hand smoke, and distracted drivers. You're saying anybody should be able to do whatever they want to themselves because "it's their body?" You should be calling for the legalization of all drugs then, like meth, speed, acid ect because "it's their body!" 

I'm not saying people should go out and slam 'ron in their veins, blow a line of coke up their ass, eat a sheet of acid then drive while smoking a spliff through rush hour traffic. Everything has its hazards, if you can mitigate them and create safe environments for people to partake in typically socially unnacceptable activities, it would be of greater good to society rather than trying to lock everyone up who is trying to alter their state of mind. Look at Portugal, their 'hard drug' use has plummeted due to decriminalization of all drugs. Read this article for more details on that: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/ And let's face it ANYONE can be addicted to ANYTHING. I know plenty of people who lost months and years of their lives to WoW. Should we make gaming illegal because of the addiction risks? Your argument is flimsy at best, and is countered by real-world evidence that a regulated and controlled drug market is the best means of reducing demand, and thereby reducing supply, addicts and all the ills that come with it.

You guys are insane. Regulated meth? Regulated acid? Get out of America. 

What's that drug named after a crocodile, that literally melts your skin? Go do that for a while. 

Regulated meth? Do you know what's used to treat ADD/ADHD? Regulated acid? The government used it and tested it for all sorts of weird projects. This is America, land of the Free, home of the Brave, and a supposed bastion of Liberty. You are the un-American one.

And it's called Krocodil (spelling?). I'll pass, since I have independent thought and don't blindly follow uneducated, misinformed advice.

Being drunk is kinda hard to make a crime without handing out breathalyzers and constant surveillance, though.

but at the same time if you get checked it's obvious whether you are drunk or not.

Oh grow up.

The tiny amounts you breathe in if you pass a smoker won't harm you.  -_-

how about ANY harm I receive for someone else's stupid habit is ridiculous? I shouldn't have to move because someone decides he wants to smoke next to me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm not saying people should go out and slam 'ron in their veins, blow a line of coke up their ass, eat a sheet of acid then drive while smoking a spliff through rush hour traffic. Everything has its hazards, if you can mitigate them and create safe environments for people to partake in typically socially unnacceptable activities, it would be of greater good to society rather than trying to lock everyone up who is trying to alter their state of mind. Look at Portugal, their 'hard drug' use has plummeted due to decriminalization of all drugs. Read this article for more details on that: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/ And let's face it ANYONE can be addicted to ANYTHING. I know plenty of people who lost months and years of their lives to WoW. Should we make gaming illegal because of the addiction risks? Your argument is flimsy at best, and is countered by real-world evidence that a regulated and controlled drug market is the best means of reducing demand, and thereby reducing supply, addicts and all the ills that come with it.

Videogames. Aren't. Meth. They're totally different. One alters your brain and makes you lazy, ect if you get addicted to it, one KILLS YOU. You're pretty stupid if you think we should let people do a drug that kills them because "it's their body!" I'd rather America be a country of alive, healthy people than a bunch of meth heads. Go move to Portugal if you love druggies so much.

Regulated meth? Do you know what's used to treat ADD/ADHD? Regulated acid? The government used it and tested it for all sorts of weird projects. This is America, land of the Free, home of the Brave, and a supposed bastion of Liberty. You are the un-American one.

And it's called Krocodil (spelling?). I'll pass, since I have independent thought and don't blindly follow uneducated, misinformed advice.

Thanks for telling me the name of Krocodil. I do think that's how it's spelled. Also, they aren't shooting kids up 24/7 with meth to treat ADHD. It's not even METHamphetamine, just amphetamine (similar, not same.) Acid was used in projects and horrible experiments, so it should be legal and everybody should do it? America is free, sure, but that doesn't mean that we should all be going around doing hard drugs killing ourselves. 

Just because you think every drug out there is OK doesn't mean it should be legal and readily available.

how about ANY harm I receive for someone else's stupid habit is ridiculous? I shouldn't have to move because someone decides he wants to smoke next to me.

Then tell them that you'd like them to move. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Then tell them that you'd like them to move. 

yeah, and hope that they are incredibly nice and actually do it. As of right now, I have no legal right to force them to move (figuratively speaking, of course even if cigarettes were illegal I couldn't just shove them away)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Videogames. Aren't. Meth. They're totally different. One alters your brain and makes you lazy, ect if you get addicted to it, one KILLS YOU. You're pretty stupid if you think we should let people do a drug that kills them because "it's their body!" I'd rather America be a country of alive, healthy people than a bunch of meth heads. Go move to Portugal if you love druggies so much.

Thanks for telling me the name of Krocodil. I do think that's how it's spelled. Also, they aren't shooting kids up 24/7 with meth to treat ADHD. It's not even METHamphetamine, just amphetamine (similar, not same.) Acid was used in projects and horrible experiments, so it should be legal and everybody should do it? America is free, sure, but that doesn't mean that we should all be going around doing hard drugs killing ourselves. 

Just because you think every drug out there is OK doesn't mean it should be legal and readily available.

We're not talking about meth in this thread, we're talking about marijuana. And in that case, marijuana and video games have the same addictive properties as each other. There are no physical withdrawl symptoms once you log off WoW. [sidenote: I don't think 'lazy' and 'meth' are typically found in the same sentence.] Do you know what kills the most people in America? Heart disease, diabetes, cancer. All brought on by sedentary lifestyles, high sugar/fat diets, tobacco, alcohol, etc. How you can call this a country of mostly obese people 'healthy' is beyond me. And thinking that just because drugs are legal, everyone is going to be going HAM on any drug is a poor indicator of how you think of our country. You're still ignoring the biggest drug problem in the States, which is heroin, and that's all because of pharmecuticals handing out opiates like Skittles to anyone with a minor ache or pain.

We're not talking about meth in this thread, we're talking about marijuana. And in that case, marijuana and video games have the same addictive properties as each other. There are no physical withdrawl symptoms once you log off WoW. [sidenote: I don't think 'lazy' and 'meth' are typically found in the same sentence.] Do you know what kills the most people in America? Heart disease, diabetes, cancer. All brought on by sedentary lifestyles, high sugar/fat diets, tobacco, alcohol, etc. How you can call this a country of mostly obese people 'healthy' is beyond me. And thinking that just because drugs are legal, everyone is going to be going HAM on any drug is a poor indicator of how you think of our country. You're still ignoring the biggest drug problem in the States, which is heroin, and that's all because of pharmecuticals handing out opiates like Skittles to anyone with a minor ache or pain.

Yes, lots of people are fat, so giving everybody drugs is the answer. I understand now, thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, lots of people are fat, so giving everybody drugs is the answer. I understand now, thanks for clearing that up.

Your illogically is befuddling. If you're going to maintain a ban on marijuana and other illicit drugs because of the potential health risks it poses to individuals and society, you would need to focus on our food supply first and foremost. And then maybe the way doctors and pharmaceuticals push drugs onto patients. There are far bigger fish to fry than worrying about some folks wanting to smoke a joint when they're off work.

No harm will come to you if you stand next to a smoker smoking a cigarette, I assure you.

The famous story of second hand smoke is of course Roy Castle who died of lung cancer after breathing in too much second-hand smoke from his audience.

I get that you don't want it to be breathed at your face or stand in a closed space with someone smoking but the damage is negligible.

It will do you more damage eating a bacon sandwich than stand next to someone smoking.

Your illogically is befuddling. If you're going to maintain a ban on marijuana and other illicit drugs because of the potential health risks it poses to individuals and society, you would need to focus on our food supply first and foremost. And then maybe the way doctors and pharmaceuticals push drugs onto patients. There are far bigger fish to fry than worrying about some folks wanting to smoke a joint when they're off work.

Maybe less people would be fat if they exercized and stopped listening to the food pyramid. Sadly, the government created and fully supports the food pyramid, and people are more worried about working than working out.

No harm will come to you if you stand next to a smoker smoking a cigarette, I assure you.

The famous story of second hand smoke is of course Roy Castle who died of lung cancer after breathing in too mcuh second-hand smoke from his audience.

I get that you don't want it to be breathed at your face or stand in a closed space with someone smoking but the damage is negligible.

It will do you more damage eating a bacon sandwich than stand next to someone smoking.

I breathe crap all day, every day just by living in a city. I don't need people to add to it by smoking, especially near to me. Furthermore the smell is disgusting. All studies in the matter prove that second hand smoke is harmful. I don't care how much exposure I need to get serious damage, as far as I'm concerned ANY damage or disturbance (smell) is unacceptable given there are no benefits. On top of that the more readily available it is the easier it is for a minor to get a hold of it. Smoking is 100% undefendable - the only reason people make up excuses for it is that at this point they're too addicted to stop.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Maybe less people would be fat if they exercized and stopped listening to the food pyramid. Sadly, the government created and fully supports the food pyramid, and people are more worried about working than working out.

GEE.

PEOPLE TAKING THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL INITIATIVE  FOR THEIR OWN WELL-BEING?

NAH, RESTRICTING CALORIES HAS THE POSSIBILITY FOR SEVERE HEALTH PROBLEMS.

That's your logic on drugs applied to food.

People would be less fat if we invested more in high-quality education and infrastructure.

The food pyramid is shit, but only because it's basic as fuck not because it's terrible for the average McFatass/Amerifat.

If you want those gains you need to change your diet to fit your lifestyle.

Case in point, IIFYM.

You can be 200 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal while also enjoying burgers, pizza, wings, and pop-tarts if you know what you're doing and taking the proper precautions to avoid being at a caloric surplus/deficit while still being nutritionally sated.

LIKE DRUGS.

The thing is, it's the "folks wanting to smoke a joint" that keep trying to get attention on the matter. Right now it's illegal in a lot of countries and nobody would even be thinking about it if stoners didn't keep bringing it up. It's a fish that's already been fried, and if potheads stopped making a fuss about it maybe the government wouldn't be wasting time thinking about it. As for food supply, again, the fact that there's something worse doesn't mean the other thing is good.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-snip-

-snip-

I actually have to agree, it's unfair that someone else should be inhaling the same fumes that you inhale.

If you want your nicotine try gum, patches, chew, or smoke when you are alone or in agreeing/allowing company.

Not in public with strangers who didn't consent to that.

You can be 200 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal while also enjoying burgers, pizza, wings, and pop-tarts if you know what you're doing and taking the proper precautions to avoid being at a caloric surplus/deficit while still being nutritionally sated.

LIKE DRUGS.

Pizza doesn't give you hallucinations or addiction, nor does it deposit garbage in your lungs, and neither does it bother other people with the smell. In fact, pizza in itself (or burgers or wings or whatever) isn't even particularly bad for your health - if it's made properly. The problem is that most of the time (at least in the US) it ISN'T made properly. It is made using poorly sourced ingredients and speed optimized but terrible cooking. Proper pizza, while not being ideal if you're trying to loose weight, doesn't contain any substance that could be considered harmful.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

snip

Drugs aren't food. Sure, you can do drugs in moderation, it still hurts you. That's why I won't smoke, and I won't drink often. Things that are already legal (alcohol, cigarettes) would be SUPER hard to ban without lots of backlash, but if something's already illegal we don't need it to be legal.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up

[You are] befuddling

Bear in mind that Kobathor is th voice of the US right wing on this forum.

It appears to me that his arguments come straight from Fox News or Katy Hopkins' column in the Sun.

You can't have a thread on this forum about anthing redarded as "political" in America such as guns, taxes, healthcare, religion etc without his presence.

I am at the point now that I simply take his posts in jest and if they are his actual opinions then I'll have to agree to disagree.

I breathe crap all day, every day just by living in a city. I don't need people to add to it by smoking, especially near to me. Furthermore the smell is disgusting. All studies in the matter prove that second hand smoke is harmful. I don't care how much exposure I need to get serious damage, as far as I'm concerned ANY damage or disturbance (smell) is unacceptable given there are no benefits. On top of that the more readily available it is the easier it is for a minor to get a hold of it. Smoking is 100% undefendable - the only reason people make up excuses for it is that at this point they're too addicted to stop.

I'm not saying that second hand smoke is harmless, rather that it's ridiculous to have such an adverse reaction to such a small problem.

After all, we all co-exist on this planet so what's the point in ignoring a major group of society for minor health benefits?

As far as many people are concerned there is no benefit to body odour which by this post, you would define as a disturbance. Should we walk away from someone just because they have body odour? No, it's rude.

I actually have to agree, it's unfair that someone else should be inhaling the same fumes that you inhale.

If you want your nicotine try gum, patches, chew, or smoke when you are alone or in agreeing/allowing company.

Not in public with strangers who didn't consent to that.

I'm not saying it's fair that you should be inhaling a smoker's smoke but it is rude to have such a reaction to such a minor issue (for example holding your breath when passing a smoker).

It just doesn't seem socially acceptable in my eyes to do that (marginalising smokers) for such a minor health benefit to yorself.

You should'nt just stand there breathing it in but I just think it's horrible to be rude about it like many non-smokers are.

Nope. Too many vices as it is, and we don't need to make another one more accessible. And I'm not just pointing the finger at alcohol, weed, gambling, and tobacco. Anything can be used as a coping mechanism, from food to impulse buying.

You could even argue games are a coping mechanism if you really wanted.