Should weed be legal? [Discussion]

Overkilled
Go to solution Solved by Albatross,

What makes someone else think they can dictate another person's life and habits? I really want the answer to this, and no one against legalizing weed can answer  it (at least logically). If someone can smoke, drink, abort, own guns or whatnot, why can't someone have a little weed? Smoking, drinking and driving harms more people than weed, and yet they remain perfectly legal...

I'm guessing That's why the there's a rainbow in your profile picture? 

I don't see the connection.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I don't see the connection.

Games (for the most part) and society (rarely) depicts people who have taken or are taking weed or cocaine as seeing rainbows or having rainbows on things. IDK. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I have a hard enough time with Sugar! And that's legal! Sugar and substances which are addictive should be banned under 10 grams (only can consume 10g or less per day)!

Too bad weed isn't a key ingredient in anything.... unlike sugar.

That's like saying we should go back to putting cocaine in coke. Please, sit down.

Spoiler

It's illegal to have cigarette Ads so that's one thing!

Honestly, smokers gonna smoke. People who smoke were gonna smoke anyways. Regardless of ads.

Exactly in theory.

Reality Check -> If it's illegal more people do it. If not then generally less do it.

Oh dear god no!

I have a hard enough time with Sugar! And that's legal! Sugar and substances which are addictive should be banned under 10 grams (only can consume 10g or less per day)!

This!

yeah well that should be the exception. But some people use it for purposes which are not considered medicinal.

Jesus. A drugs a drug. If one's bad then ban the whole lot of them.

By that logic, we should be allowed to ingest horse tranquilizer and snort Lacquer (gives people a sensation similar to cocaine or weed).

if its legal its easier to get. Easier to get = more people use it.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Too bad weed isn't a key ingredient in anything.... unlike sugar.

That's like saying we should go back to putting cocaine in coke. Please, sit down.

There are many alternatives to monosaccharides, if you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Your coke has caffeine, which is just as bad as cocaine.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

No because everyone that I know that is a pothead is usually very trashy and hood-rat like people. I'm not calling everyone that uses weed a trashy hood-rat but from my experience they usually are but there are some people that I know and they use weed and they're fairly decent people but that's besides the point. And plus it would be abused.

Too true, that kind of person is unbearable. and all too common in that "subculture". I wonder if it was legalised, would the stigma stick to it and nothing would change, or if those people would be judged like alcoholics today, and the amount lessen. 

Well we Americans seen how well Prohibition worked. People will smoke it regardless. Lets make it legal, and tax it. Michigan could use new roads. Great way to pay for them if you ask me. 

"Michigan could use new roads" Hahaha quality post right there. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

yes because it is used medically to help with pain

So all those youngsters smoking weed are in pain? Oh their poor souls.

It should only be legal when prescribed imo.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

if its legal its easier to get. Easier to get = more people use it.

Your logic is false. Marijuana prohibition (really, the entire drug war/problem..and this could be extended to the gun debate too, but that's a completely different mess) comes down to basic economics of supply and demand. Demand drives supply, not the other way around. If you want to curb the supply, you have to reduce the demand. Legalization and regulation is the best/safest way to control an 'unwanted' substance. Ask any American high school student which is easier to get, marijuana or alcohol. Most will respond with marijuana, not because there is weed flooding the streets, but because there are no regulatory agencies to control who sells or buys it. Alcohol, because it's pretty heavily regulated, is harder to get on this fact alone.

There are many alternatives to monosaccharides, if you want to have your cake and eat it too.

The cake is a lie.

No because everyone that I know that is a pothead is usually very trashy and hood-rat like people. I'm not calling everyone that uses weed a trashy hood-rat but from my experience they usually are but there are some people that I know and they use weed and they're fairly decent people but that's besides the point. And plus it would be abused.

Too true, that kind of person is unbearable. and all too common in that "subculture". I wonder if it was legalised, would the stigma stick to it and nothing would change, or if those people would be judged like alcoholics today, and the amount lessen. 

Yall obviously don't really know who smokes weed... Lawyers, politicians, doctors, engineers, architects, musicians, actors, almost everyone in society. And that generalization and stereotyping is the EXACT reason why it was made illegal in the first place. There were claims that weed made African-Americans and Mexicans turn violent, aggressive and would rape white women during the 'Reefer Madness' era. Then during the hippie days of the 60's, Nixon and crew decided to crack down on it because it would pacify and make people more amiable to communism. Not saying that the stoner-bro/girl is a great thing for society, but just because YOU know a few dumb-dumbs like that, doesn't mean EVERYONE who smokes is like that, or will turn out like that.

Look at this study from The National Institute on Drug Abuse:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/marijuana

WeJqQ6W.png

Over 50% of people aged 18-25 have said they've used marijuana at least once in their lifetime (26 and older is almost the same); almost 1/3 have said in the past year, and then almost 1/5 within the past month. Keep in mind, these are self-reported studies; where someone from the NIDA calls you and asks, 'You smoke weed?' What do you think MOST people will say when a Federal agency asks you that, even if they do smoke every day? And yet the numbers are still that high.

Games (for the most part) and society (rarely) depicts people who have taken or are taking weed or cocaine as seeing rainbows or having rainbows on things. IDK. 

I just think the image looked good. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

in all seriousness people should be allowed to do drugs if they want.. its there choice not a pig fuckers LOL

People should be free to put whatever they want into their own bodies, so yes.

Then they drive and kill people, same as alcohol. 

We don't need more drugs. Alcohol is only here because it's been around forever, and in moderation it's "good" for you. Weed is only bad, only harms the body, only gets you addicted. That's my view on it. 

I used to be quite active here.

People are going to abuse weed.

In the same way as all people abuse alcohol?  Not everyone who has the odd pint after work or at a party or... becomes a raving alcoholic so why should weed users be assumed to be going  to "abuse" it if it is legaalised .  Maybe not for a couple of decades or so but IF legalised Pot will no longer be considered by employers as a detriment (at least no more than cigarette smokers are now).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

We don't need more drugs. Alcohol is only here because it's been around forever, and in moderation it's "good" for you. Weed is only bad, only harms the body, only gets you addicted. That's my view on it. 

Again, any psychoactives you should not be operating any machinery or driving.

That includes caffeine, so no morning coffee from the local Burger King on your way to work.

Unless you get Decaf.

But then what the hell are you drinking bean juice for.

Hahahaha, my friend alcohol is not good for you in any moderation.

Alcohol actually rapidly ages you; before you say that you live longer because of things like wine (something blown way out of proportion), it's the antioxidants found in the wine that help you "live longer" or "improve your cardiovascular health". You'd be much better off eating fruit than drinking wine.

Again, everything will harm your body.

You ever take any MAOIs?

Cough syrup?

Any SSRIs?

Anti-anxiety/anti-depressants?

You know the purposes for "bad drugs" like opium?

Pain medication?

The point isn't that you legalize something without regulating it.

If you're smoking weed you also shouldn't be driving.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Yes, but people drive and kill people sober all the time. Or even worse, when using their cell phones and driving.

Marijuana has been around even LONGER than alcohol. It's a goddamn plant. All you do is grow it, dry it and smoke it. There's a reason it's called 'weed' and is found on nearly every continent. Not to mention there are specific receptors in the human brain that only react to THC. That type of brain development can only happen from long term, meaning over generations of hominids, not in a persons' lifetime, widespread use by our early ancestors. It is one of the safest known plants to humans; the amount of marijuana it takes to cause a toxic level in the human body is absurd, like not really even possible to consume that much. Marijuana does NOT cause a physical addiction, like nicotine, alcohol, opiates, etc. Yes, if you smoke every day for a year, then stop, you'll feel different, but you won't go through the physical withdrawal symptoms like other drugs. Please name any study that conclusively shows that it is harmful to the human body. There are studies that say that it can increase chances for schizophrenia in those with a genetic predisposition especially when marijuana use starts at an early age. But if you think Adderall, Concerta or any of the other ADD/ADHD medications AREN'T effecting young peoples' brain development, you are horribly naive. I'm not saying kids should be smoking marijuana, it needs to be 18 years (alcohol should also be dropped to 18 years, IMO) and older; as any substance used during the crucial brain development years can have long term ramifications. But you really need to research to correct your views.

Smoking opium has been around in the Western world for longer than smoking tobacco, so why isn't that legal?

And driving under the influence of any mind altering drug is illegal in most countries, which it should be becuase it's directly risking other people's life.

The taking of drugs is not hurting anyone but the user, so I don't see any reason as to why it should be illegal. 

And weed isn't only bad. It also makes you high, which is a pleasent experience for some people. For me, THC just made me sick so I never really engaged in the consumption of weed.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Sure. It would lower the rate of drug related crimes in the NYC metro area. If it got legalized in NYC though, NYC would stink.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

No, and I think cigarettes should be illegal too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haha, say weed is bad and you automatically get 3 wannabe pothead to end you. 

Pathetic. 

If weed isnt addictive, tell that to all the potheads that are addicted to weed. Please. 

I used to be quite active here.

I believe in self-reliance and self-responsibility.

Except we know for a fact people usually aren't self responsible. The consequences of drugs go beyond simply harming the user, someone who is high on drugs is a threat to everyone around him.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I feel very strong about weed being illegal. It's just another stupid thing for people to get hooked on. And even though it's not really that bad, I just think it's unnecessary to have it be legal, when it can potentially cause some serious long term effects. People are going to abuse weed. It will cause massive issues with businesses since employers don't want anything to do with people that do smoke weed, and people will most likely start exploring more things to push the potential law's boundaries once again. Proving that it could potentially cause yet another problem.

I believe there were test done and show it's not "addictive" and that it doesn't have any long term effects. I live in Colorado and it hasn't caused any issues. Some work places don't mind drugs. My boss wanted me to come in to work with machines while I was on pain meds. He told me they don't care what kind of drugs people do. The old supervisor used to hotbox the bathroom every morning with an employee. Some companies will still do drug tests. Not everyone is going to do drugs. Most people don't. I personally say legalize most things, let the dumb people do dumb things and let the smart survive. Let the people do what they want. I don't need the government to hold my hand.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Weed isn't addictive, and it isn't bad.  1 glass of red wine can help the heart, but alcohol leads to various forms of cancer that weed can treat.  I wouldn't suggest driving after either, but drunk drivers  are worse than high drivers.  There's not strong addictive quality in weed either, but THC in certain quantities can cause addiction.  Alcohol dependency is actually a lot worse for you.  Tobacco just makes you moody, addicted, stunts growth, and gives you mouth and/or lung cancer aka something that weed cannot cure, but rather treats.  Are you against cancer patients having better treatments than just straight up forms of radiation?

Smoking ANYTHING is bad for you. There are some benefits to weed in some speficic situations, but without a prescription it is only bad. Are there worse things? Sure. But legalizing things that are "not as bad" isn't the solution imo.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Except we know for a fact people usually aren't self responsible. The consequences of drugs go beyond simply harming the user, someone who is high on drugs is a threat to everyone around him.

100% agree