Intel Atom (ION) 1080p YouTube Playback Issues

Go to solution Solved by ooiman92,

OKAY, so I did install flash 10.3 for Internet Explorer (that's the only one that works, Firefox still lags.) 1080p video now plays smoothly, one issue I'm having is that the video needs to be in full screen for it to even begin buffering. I might need to find an earlier version of flash, but this is a good sign.

Edit: looks like it does work on Firefox, just need to click on the time where I switched modes. Annoying but yesssssm it works!

Hello guys, I know this isn't the newest processor or platform around, but I'm having playback issues with online videos. This is being used as an HTPC btw. Everything else works fine, Blu-Ray, HD content, everything that does not rely on flash. I've heard that GPU acceleration support hasn't been included in Flash Player 11? Can anyone give me any pointers? The closest I've gotten to smooth playback is using Internet Explorer, and even still it's not smooth with jitters and skipped frames. Please if you have any pointers I'd love to hear them. I don't want to toss this system, but I've sunk quite a bit of money into it when was first introduced. Thanks!

Edit:

Specs

Intel Atom 330 @2.1GHz

2x2GB Mushkin DDR2 800 5-5-5-15

Nvidia ION (9300m) 625/1250

It's overclocked pretty much to the max and I haven't been able to get it smooth enough.

Try out HTML 5 for Youtube

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Which atom do you have? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks, I'll give it a try after dinner, just got home. Food comes first :P I'll let you know if it works out. The only issue I have is that it doesn't go completely full screen when set to do so, if there's a way to fix that, I'm all in.

Edit: Welp, I just tried HTML5, and it doesn't really make much difference, CPU still pegged at 100%, so apparently GPU acceleration still isn't working :/

bump. any other suggestions? I know it was working okay, but then chrome updated and everything went bad. I haven't used this system in months.

Edit: looks like 720p is unwatchable as well.. ugh don't remember it being this crappy

bump. any other suggestions? I know it was working okay, but then chrome updated and everything went bad. I haven't used this system in months.

Edit: looks like 720p is unwatchable as well.. ugh don't remember it being this crappy

Try a different browser? Maybe the computer just needs a refresh, flash the Bios.

I've tried IE and Firefox, IE had the best experience so far, but still not what I'd consider watchable. BIOS is latest from ZOTAC, I think last update was in 2010 unfortunately. The board is a Zotac ION-ITX-FE.

Edit: Hah. Drivers aren't even listed on the site anymore. But it's still under warranty! Zotac y u do dis? :/

bump. Sorry, I know I shouldn't be double posting, I'm trying to get this issue resolved, I really don't want to build another system just to use as an HTPC, nothing's working as it used to, everything used to be super smooth, but now every HD video seems to stutter no matter what I try.

How do I get hardware acceleration to work? I remember Chrome used to bundle with Flash player and this new so called pepper flash, which I strongly dislike, but seems like the new flash player is broken. Is brute processor power the only way to go these days? Thanks.

Atom processors aren't powerful. I find that even 720p online flash will lag on my old atom system.

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I mean, it has an ION chipset, which supposedly accelerates HD video. It did the last time I used it, but it no longer does? 

Yeah definitely, everything is latest, for some reason I can't find the manufacturer drivers on Zotac's site anymore.

If I understand correctly, your computer has an Intel Atom 330 CPU and a dedicated Nvidia 9300m GPU. Could you try opening the Nvidia control panel and looking at the available options?

Have you tried to let flash player use more HDD space? I use to have lag on twitch.tv, youtube, etc. and I right clicked, selected adobe flash settings, and then the folder tab. Under that let flash player store unlimited data. This solved the lag problems for me when I was using a Atom netbook (shitty thing, never buy one)

Another solution may be to delete browsing cache after exiting the browser by default.

If I understand correctly, your computer has an Intel Atom 330 CPU and a dedicated Nvidia 9300m GPU. Could you try opening the Nvidia control panel and looking at the available options?

Yes, I've looked through the control panel and set the gpu to accelerate internet videos. Didn't make much of a difference, I'm not sure what happened, but hardware acceleration doesn't seem to work all that well any more after flash 10. Do you think it's possible to revert to the older version to see if it's okay? Though I believe that wouldn't work for chrome because it has it's own inbuilt one.

Have you tried to let flash player use more HDD space? I use to have lag on twitch.tv, youtube, etc. and I right clicked, selected adobe flash settings, and then the folder tab. Under that let flash player store unlimited data. This solved the lag problems for me when I was using a Atom netbook (shitty thing, never buy one)

I've never tried that, but I'm not sure if that'll make a difference, the only way I see it working is if it buffers the video completely, then plays it like playing a local file. I might have to try it some time, classes are starting, not much time to get on the forums lol.

Another solution may be to delete browsing cache after exiting the browser by default.

I have tried clearing the browsing data after exiting the browser, but it didn't really seem to make a difference. Last time I used HTML5, I noticed a big change in the way videos were displayed, not sure if they fixed it up because switching between HTML5 and flash, I just don't know which one it's using any more.

It's worth a try to install an older version of Flash Player, then trying YouTube videos with Internet Explorer.

Older versions of Flash Player can be found on the Adobe website here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

I would suggest uninstalling the one you have on your computer first.

Try out version 10.1 to begin with; I saw some forum posts that suggest that GPU acceleration still worked well with this version.

It's worth a try to install an older version of Flash Player, then trying YouTube videos with Internet Explorer.

Older versions of Flash Player can be found on the Adobe website here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

I would suggest uninstalling the one you have on your computer first.

Try out version 10.1 to begin with; I saw some forum posts that suggest that GPU acceleration still worked well with this version.

Thanks, that's definitely what I heard, too bad you can't really do anything about Chrome, it's my main browser of choice. Reinstalling Flash is in my list of things to try, I'll update if all goes well, I think it will.

I mean, it has an ION chipset, which supposedly accelerates HD video. It did the last time I used it, but it no longer does? 

Not specified on the chip sets hd it could be 720  or 1080?

since it dosent specify and your having problems with playback it might just be 720 only!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Not specified on the chip sets hd it could be 720  or 1080?

since it dosent specify and your having problems with playback it might just be 720 only!

No, I know it does 1080p, because it's done it before, I'm thinking after the flash update they kinda broke it. I'm gonna revert to 10.1 as soon as I have time to see if that does anything since I know hardware acceleration was working on that version.

OKAY, so I did install flash 10.3 for Internet Explorer (that's the only one that works, Firefox still lags.) 1080p video now plays smoothly, one issue I'm having is that the video needs to be in full screen for it to even begin buffering. I might need to find an earlier version of flash, but this is a good sign.

Edit: looks like it does work on Firefox, just need to click on the time where I switched modes. Annoying but yesssssm it works!

I'm glad you have managed to achieve a positive outcome.

In Google Chrome there is an option to enable GPU acceleration if you type 'about: flags' in the search bar, then find the option 'GPU compositing on all pages' and enable it.