GTX 460 flash to a GTX 460se

So, this is a bit of a long story, but in any case, i really need your help LinusTechTips community.

I felt the need to update my computer, my MSI GTX 460 hawk has always been enough, its an older card, i built this PC some two years back and at that time the 500 series was released, sooo why not pick up a 400 series since they will be cheap? Made sense, and the 460 was a pretty powerful card.

Anywho, I went on Ebay to search for another one to add to my system, i considered just getting a 600 card but money is a bit tight, so why not just upgrade? I found one and started bidding, it was a GTX 460 se card, snagged it for 65$. At the time i had NO IDEA the two cards were different from another, i seriously just did not think about it. Anyway, it arrives, i find my mistake, bla bla bla, im stuck with a card in my system that's not doing anything.

I was weighing in my options, i was doing extensive research into BIOS flashing. I learned that you can not flash a 460se to a 460 because of how the shader cores work on the 460se. Well I, again, looked at the options and decided if there is a performance boost, i would have no problem with having two gtx 460se cards. Meaning i decided to flash my gtx 460 down to a gtx 460se. The consensus on what i found while googling this said it would work.

So i follow guides, get tripped up here and there because its my first time trying to do something like this, but i get into DoS and start my nvflash, i use the -4 -5 -6 to over ride the BIOS because MSi never made a 460 se and i decided to use the EVGA one. It gives me confirmation that the overwrite is complete. Great is what i think. I reboot and get into windows and throw a fist into the air in celebration because i did something kind of hard with computers! Until, well, okay, i heard you have to reinstall drivers, since my screen resolution at the time is small i wait a while. Windows does what windows does and identifies the new hardware. I wait for it to complete because it did the EXACT same thing when i plugged in the 460se for the first time. Then the shocker, it installed 460 drivers, i reboot the computer, and it recognizes it as a 460!

I'm not sure what i did wrong, i downloaded this BIOS file to flash my 460 with

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/104062/evga-gtx460se-1024-101125-1.html

as far as i know, i did everything right. Any suggestions? Any help on this is appreciated.

Thank you

-Dan Rita

P.S One thing that did come to mind is maybe MSi denies any kind of BIOS overwrite of their cards? Idk, just a thought.

I don't see what the problem is. It works so I don't understand.

I don't see what the problem is. It works so I don't understand.

I flashed it to be a 460se, it is still recognized as a 460 after it has been flashed.

I flashed it to be a 460se, it is still recognized as a 460 after it has been flashed.

Well it works so I wouldn't complain.

Well it works so I wouldn't complain.

It worked beforehand, anyway let me clarify that i wish to SLI the two cards, i cannot do so because they are different cards and therefore will not do so. It was never a problem with working but compatibility, please refer to the original question if you are still confused.

It worked beforehand, anyway let me clarify that i wish to SLI the two cards, i cannot do so because they are different cards and therefore will not do so. It was never a problem with working but compatibility, please refer to the original question if you are still confused.

Not sure if it will work but, boot up with only the gtx 460 se card,Then run gpu-z  to save the bios, then flash the other card with that bios and see if it helps, then you know atleast that the rom you got is an actual 460 se bios.