iPhone 7 Leaks 'Confirm' Apple Abandoning Headphone Jack

Section35

I think Apple invests more into marketing than actually products. I cant wait for their reason why they did it.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

It's Apple, of course people will buy adapters, some even will sacrifice their one kidney to get the adapter and other kidney for Bluetooth earphones.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

LEAKS

CONFIRMS

what

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

​I won't be replying to anything after this as I just wasted two and a half hours of my lifetime conversing to fellow rigid members. Peace xD

Let's say Apple does implement a better Bluetooth connection, more efficient and whatnot, I don't see a reason to remove the 3.5mm jack.

The amount of people who use wired headphones is greater than the people who use Bluetooth headphones, removing the 3.5mm jack is a dumb move.

Wireless improving or not, is not a good reason to remove a standard, just like motherboards that still have VGA and PS/2.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Let's say Apple does implement a better Bluetooth connection, more efficient and whatnot, I don't see a reason to remove the 3.5mm jack.

The amount of people who use wired headphones is greater than the people who use Bluetooth headphones, removing the 3.5mm jack is a dumb move.

Wireless improving or not, is not a good reason to remove a standard, just like motherboards that still have VGA and PS/2.

Well, I can't say I would be happy with them removing the 3.5mm jack, BUT, it's moves like this that creates waves and ideally leads to progress. By eliminating the 3.5mm jack Apple will be forcing the improvement of bluetooth whether by doing something themselves or by driving the market to do it. In either event, I see this as a good thing for bluetooth (not necessarily for users right now). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, I can't say I would be happy with them removing the 3.5mm jack, BUT, it's moves like this that creates waves and ideally leads to progress. By eliminating the 3.5mm jack Apple will be forcing the improvement of bluetooth whether by doing something themselves or by driving the market to do it. In either event, I see this as a good thing for bluetooth (not necessarily for users right now). 

There's no way removing the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone will push everyone and their dog to do it, that's never going to happen because it makes no sense.

There's no way removing the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone will push everyone and their dog to do it, that's never going to happen because it makes no sense.

How would it not push the market forward? iPhone accessories are a huge source of revenue for a lot of companies to just willingly ignore. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because regardless of what people think about Apple, they have a following (sometimes a cult following) of their phones and laptops, mostly their phones. So if they release a phone without a headphone jack (again, I'm not saying they are because I want to be able to point and laugh at all of the anti-iSheep sheep if it doesn't happen) the industry will move forward in Bluetooth quality and production. That's just how it works since they own such a large portion of the phone market.

How would it not push the market forward? iPhone accessories are a huge source of revenue for a lot of companies to just willingly ignore. 

There were some moves that Apple did that moved the technology forward, removing a standard like a 3.5mm jack is not one of them.

Because regardless of what people think about Apple, they have a following (sometimes a cult following) of their phones and laptops, mostly their phones. So if they release a phone without a headphone jack (again, I'm not saying they are because I want to be able to point and laugh at all of the anti-iSheep sheep if it doesn't happen) the industry will move forward in Bluetooth quality and production. That's just how it works since they own such a large portion of the phone market.

I don't see Bluetooth connection removing wired headphones any time soon, I see Bluetooth improving sure, but not completely get rid of the 3.5mm jack.

If there's something people want on their phones is longer battery life, not the thinnest phone the laws of physics will allow.

There were some moves that Apple did that moved the technology forward, removing a standard like a 3.5mm jack is not one of them.

I don't see Bluetooth connection removing wired headphones any time soon, I see Bluetooth improving sure, but not completely get rid of the 3.5mm jack.

If there's something people want on their phones is longer battery life, not the thinnest phone the laws of physics will allow.

But by removing the 3.5mm jack one of two things will happen....either everyone with an iPhone who ever needs headphones will jump ship, OR an alternative will become more prevalent (which will mean bluetooth will become more common, thus progress will be made). 

I can guarantee you Apple is smart enough to research the target audience and the results probably point to the fact that the majority of users would rather have a thinner phone. A company like Apple doesn't become successful and profitable by ignoring it's user base and its desires. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

But by removing the 3.5mm jack one of two things will happen....either everyone with an iPhone who ever needs headphones will jump ship, OR an alternative will become more prevalent (which will mean bluetooth will become more common, thus progress will be made). 

I can guarantee you Apple is smart enough to research the target audience and the results probably point to the fact that the majority of users would rather have a thinner phone. A company like Apple doesn't become successful and profitable by ignoring it's user base and its desires. 

I bet the alternative are going to be adapter cables before people go full Bluetooth, so yeah, people are most likely to buy a "cheap" cable before going full Bluetooth, and I mean "cheap" cables by Apple standards, that will give Apple even more money than Bluetooth.

If this does end up being true, I doubt it would simply be so they could make it thinner. Apple could shave off a couple millimetres and they'd still have room for the headphone jack. The bigger benefit would be that it would free up room on the inside of the phone for other things, like maybe some extra battery or something. To be honest though, I take any iPhone rumour this far out with a truck load of salt. We are still about half a year or so before manufacturing starts for the next iPhone.

the thinnest phone in the world( I forgot what it's called) has a 3.5mm jack

BBC news did a great article on this looking at both sides of the argument. They point out that the headphone jack is 19th century tech and goes back as far as 1878. Its one of the very few techs that never got replaced along the way. Also points out that the issue isn't actually the thickness of the phone but the space a 3.5mm jack takes up internally (space that could be used for battery etc. Also worth remembering that it wasn't that long back that nearly all phones required a dedicated headphone adapter. My Sony Ericsson 'walkman' phones certainly did.

Definitely worth a read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35253398

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

BBC news did a great article on this looking at both sides of the argument. They point out that the headphone jack is 19th century tech and goes back as far as 1878. Its one of the very few techs that never got replaced along the way. Also points out that the issue isn't actually the thickness of the phone but the space a 3.5mm jack takes up internally (space that could be used for battery etc. Also worth remembering that it wasn't that long back that nearly all phones required a dedicated headphone adapter. My Sony Ericsson 'walkman' phones certainly did.

Definitely worth a read

So the reasoning of the article is that because we didn't have a universal standard in the past (3.5mm TRS), we shouldn't complain about not having one in the future? That is the very opposite of progress.

So the reasoning of the article is that because we didn't have a universal standard in the past (3.5mm TRS), we shouldn't complain about not having one in the future? That is the very opposite of progress.

Thats not what I took from the article. What i took from the article was that the technology is extremely old, was designed for telephone operators, takes up too much space internally and is probably due for an upgrade. Yes there should be a standard, but a modern one. Should Apple control it? No, but they do have a history of helping create standards. Mini Display port for example.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Thats not what I took from the article. What i took from the article was that the technology is extremely old, was designed for telephone operators, takes up too much space internally and is probably due for an upgrade. Yes there should be a standard, but a modern one. Should Apple control it? No, but they do have a history of helping create standards. Mini Display port for example.

Most of that isn't an argument. "It's old and originally designed for a different purpose" are premises, not inferences.

My understanding is that the lightning connector would still be capable of providing an analog audio signal, at which point it shouldn't be a problem for headphones with removable cables. My main point is that the arguments you've made - and that were made in the article - are rather poor.

Let's summarize, shall we?

"It's old"

• So what? That's means its tried and tested.

"Never replaced/updated"

• Obviously, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.
  • See: XLR.

"All phones used to require a headphone adapter"

• Great, so lets return to the dark ages once more.

The only point that holds some water is the whole battery capacity thing. That is easily answered by limiting how needlessly skinny phones get. So yes, actually it IS about the thickness of the phone, just not directly. Talk about disingenuousness.

As for comparisons with the phase-out of the phone connector with floppy, optical, and hard drives; replacements for these technologies already existed when they were on the way out. In this case, Apple is phasing out a connector and devising the replacement in the same stroke, thus increasing fragmentation rather than reinforcing a standard.

Definitely worth a read

Yep, removing this

post-3798-14526445313238_thumb.jpg

Will definitely give us a significant amount of extra battery! Look at how much space it occupies! It's almost 30% of the entire device dedicated to it [emoji33]

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This officialy says it.  Apple is now the worst smartphone maker in the world.  They should just stop making phones now to be honest.

I am actually hoping that this is just a business version of the phone.  If it isn't, hell... Tim!  You better start running!

that you can't charge your phone in the car and listen to music at the same time anymore.

But how do you think docking stations do it? You can charge your device and listen to your tunes at the same time.

That'll go unaffected. If anything having one cable/port do it all is better.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III