iPhone 7 Leaks 'Confirm' Apple Abandoning Headphone Jack

Section35

How the hell is that going to work? We've had wired headphones for 75+ years and you STILL can't get "really good $5" ANYTHING to listen to, headphones, earbuds, or speakers. How will adding more parts make it cheaper and better at the same time?

5$ is an arbitrary value to prove a point. But to rationalize what you asked, today's $50 earphones are as good as 90s $500 earphones. Obviously there will be a minimum limit, but with battery production ramping up exponentially and bluetooth chips getting dirt cheap, i doubt that it takes so much more to make a bluetooth earphone

Its convenience here. I hate to restrict myself whenever i go for walks with my headphones and for some reason i feel weird to have wires around me . Honestly unless you're doing some hardcore streaming like games no one really needs a wired internet that'll just obviously continue to improve as long as physics approves it.

Never said apple can achieve it. I already know its possible after i got myself a jaybird x2s. the only thing that needs to come down is price which will only happen if someone does this

Isn't it obvious, that it's more convenient to have the option of both?

Nobody needs Wired internet? You're on your own on that one.

Exactly, it's already possible, advancement can happen independently, doesn't need to be exclusive. Bluetooth audio has improved quite a bit, especially with codecs like Apt-x. If you think Apple / Beats are gonna make Bluetooth audio "cheaper" then I think you may well be mistaken.

This will not bode over well with consumers, no way. But I do hope they try it. It'll have their stock dropping even more. Apple is so out of touch with their consumers it's crazy.

Also the ignorance in this discussion is unreal. "Nobody needs wired connections" etc. My God.

Isn't it obvious, that it's more convenient to have the option of both?

Nobody needs Wired internet? You're on your own on that one.

Exactly, it's already possible, advancement can happen independently, doesn't need to be exclusive. Bluetooth audio has improved quite a bit, especially with codecs like Apt-x. If you think Apple / Beats are gonna make Bluetooth audio "cheaper" then I think you may well be mistaken.

It is more convenient to have both but then technology would have remained stagnant for a long time if there was an option. I already replied to this in a more elaborate way before

When did i say nobody needs wired connection. I said unless you do some hardcore data streaming. Pretty darn sure you don't need a wired connection to browse through LTT or watch videos or stream movies, etc (comprising 70% of what most people would do with their network). This is exactly what happens when i support apple decision, completely misinterpreting what I'm saying

Apple/beats are never going to make earphones cheaper, rather others are going to. This little move is going to force all of them to jump into water to reach the other island

This will not bode over well with consumers, no way. But I do hope they try it. It'll have their stock dropping even more. Apple is so out of touch with their consumers it's crazy.

Also the ignorance in this discussion is unreal. "Nobody needs wired connections" etc. My God.

*sigh.... Not going to bother correcting what I'm stating based on my assumption due to your profile pic

When did i say nobody needs wired connection. I said unless you do some hardcore streaming. 

I'm confused, I don't do hardcore streaming, so I just need Wifi?

U wot m8?

You guys are such delusionists

I'm positive that Apple not trying to move away from the standard but rather forcibly evolve the industry. Good Bluetooth headphones are only in the very minor part of the markets today, that is until the iPhone 7 launches.

Apple ditching the old 3.5mm jack would mean goodbye wired headphones but noooo people especially in this forum gets tacky when it comes to apple and would rather prefer to old tech.

Lightning standard is just a mere alternative for those 0.0001% pur audiophiles who wants to use their 10,000 headphone with their phone (which they shouldn't be in the first place)

I'm glad apple will be doing this as they're forcibly pushing the industry forward, but you guys can still act dumb and thank apple 5 years later when wired headphones will be like 90s tech

I'll be grateful if that's apple true goal. but not when their main goal is really to make the phone thinner. I mean do we REALLY need thinner phones?

I'm confused, I don't do hardcore streaming, so I just need Wifi?

U wot m8?

Please, state the reason why you precisely use wired network. If its for reliability sake, most routers just suck but the relatively cheap TP link I bought last year has been rock solid with 0 downtimes unlike my older dlink and linksys router. Again this is pretty specific to this field and not in anyway involved in the audio industry

I'll be grateful if that's apple true goal. but not when their main goal is really to make the phone thinner. I mean do we REALLY need thinner phones?

This is just my opinion

I don't think their goal is to make more thinner devices now. In fact the new MacBook can easily house a full sized USB port but they chose not to. So i'm assuming they have other things in mind and I'm pretty sure one of them is this because its the most logical outcome. Apple's not stupid enough to actually think Lightning port will become a standard

*sigh.... Not going to bother correcting what I'm stating based on my assumption due to your profile pic

You literally told me wireless is inferior now, but won't be. Is it safe to assume you're also talking about a wireless internet connection?

Interesting. I was able to crack a couple of my neighbors wireless network's using aircrack. Even when they were using WPA2. Combine the usage of aircrack with the understanding of john the ripper, and you can create a very useful password list to crack many WiFi passwords (as long as they aren't extremely complex). 

Can't do that on a wired connection. There is ONE security issue with wireless. Of course, all you need to do is plug in a laptop to a wired connection and you have internet access, but if we're talking about someones house, then you'll need to be inside their house. 

This is just my opinion

I don't think their goal is to make more thinner devices now. In fact the new MacBook can easily house a full sized USB port but they chose not to. So i'm assuming they have other things in mind and I'm pretty sure one of them is this because its the most logical outcome. Apple's not stupid enough to actually think Lightning port will become a standard

please en;lighten me what other purpose is there then to only include ONE USB type C connector, other than just to make people buy overpriced accessories?

You literally told me wireless is inferior now, but won't be. Is it safe to assume you're also talking about a wireless internet connection?

Interesting. I was able to crack a couple of my neighbors wireless network's using aircrack. Even when they were using WPA2. Combine the usage of aircrack with the understanding of john the ripper, and you can create a very useful password list to crack many WiFi passwords (as long as they aren't extremely complex). 

Can't do that on a wired connection. There is ONE security issue with wireless. Of course, all you need to do is plug in a laptop to a wired connection and you have internet access, but if we're talking about someones house, then you'll need to be inside their house. 

*facepalm

Obviously wired will be objectively better due to physics. But is the difference perceivable by a human? Unless you're not one, no especially in the case of good pairs like the jaybirds.

The only reason I brought internet into this discussion was because its the most easiest for people to relate to as both are streaming data through radio waves as opposed to electricity. But then geniuses bring internet specific problems into the argument which are completely irrelevant for what i'm actually standing for

If someone's wifi isn't secure its their problem plus communities as they may not be aware. Its true that this isnt possible with wired connection. But did you even bother to think on the flip side. With wireless you have freedom to move around and also enabling thinner and sleek designs without the bulky port. In addition you don't need wires all around your house. These benefits just completely outweigh the cons of wireless especially since its getting harder day by day to crack something

Please, state the reason why you precisely use wired network. If its for reliability sake, most routers just suck but the relatively cheap TP link I bought last year has been rock solid with 0 downtimes unlike my older dlink and linksys router. Again this is pretty specific to this field and not in anyway involved in the audio industry

Many reasons, improved bandwidth, improved latency (gaming ping), improved reliability, and improved access. I ran some cat 5e Ethernet cables for my home Network, hooked up to a Gigabit switch. It's great.

It's also worth noting, if you live in a built up area, 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz are insanely congested.

Also, clarify "hardcore", that qualifier to me usually means a tiny amount of people would use that much data, given that 1080p streaming is completely "normal", what kind of bandwidth we talking here?

please en;lighten me what other purpose is there then to only include ONE USB type C connector, other than just to make people buy overpriced accessories?

Evolution? Instead of using USB drives, let's start using wireless devices or the cloud. And I know we're not there yet but it's just a model laptop of the future like how the air was at first, I don't see why its shouldnt exist as it already defines a minimum for the design and build

If you were knowledgeable as I presumed you were you and I know that Type C is an open standard and anyone can make accessories for it and apple is well aware of that

*facepalm

Obviously wired will be objectively better due to physics. But is the difference perceivable by a human? Unless you're not one, no especially in the case of good pairs like the jaybirds.

The only reason I brought internet into this discussion was because its the most easiest for people to relate to as both are streaming data through radio waves as opposed to electricity. But then geniuses bring internet specific problems into the argument which are completely irrelevant for what i'm actually standing for

If someone's wifi isn't secure its their problem plus communities as they may not be aware. Its true that this isnt possible with wired connection. But did you even bother to think on the flip side. With wireless you have freedom to move around and also enabling thinner and sleek designs without the bulky port. In addition you don't need wires all around your house. These benefits just completely outweigh the cons of wireless especially since its getting harder day by day to crack something

Completely outweigh YOUR cons, not my cons. I value security 10000x more than simply being able to not have any wires. There are numerous ways to cleverly hide your wires cheaply. 

I'm not saying wireless isn't a great addition to networking, obviously it is. But you're almost suggesting throwing wired connections and even ethernet ports entirely out the window. 

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Many reasons, improved bandwidth, improved latency (gaming ping), improved reliability, and improved access. I ran some cat 5e Ethernet cables for my home Network, hooked up to a Gigabit switch. It's great.

It's also worth noting, if you live in a built up area, 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz are insanely congested.

Improved bandwidth is only required hardcore data streaming assuming you don't have 1Gbps Internet connection. I admit ping time was one of the benefits i left out but i do get 5ms from my mobile so i guess its fine. Reliability, same as above

I live in flat so in theory even mine should be congested but i guess its thanks to the concrete walls

Evolution? Instead of using USB drives, let's start using wireless devices or the cloud. And I know we're not there yet but it's just a model laptop of the future like how the air was at first, I don't see why its shouldnt exist as it already defines a minimum for the design and build

If you were knowledgeable as I presumed you were you and I know that Type C is an open standard and anyone can make accessories for it and apple is well aware of that

You have way, way, WAY too much trust in cloud backup storage, and the companies/corporations that will be managing your data.

You can suggest alternatives, such as cloud storage. But you cannot suggest that is all we need, and should be the way it is. 

Improved bandwidth is only required hardcore data streaming assuming you don't have 1Gbps Internet connection. I admit ping time was one of the benefits i left out but i do get 5ms from my mobile so i guess its fine. Reliability, same as above

I live in flat so in theory even mine should be congested but i guess its thanks to the concrete walls

Yeah I questioned what you meant by "hardcore" in an edit to my previous post. I stream data, but not what I would consider "hardcore" amounts of data. Which is an interesting point, I'd say most households are now regularly using what would have been considered hardcore amounts of data 5 years ago.

Completely outweigh YOUR cons, not my cons. I value security 10000x more than simply being able to not have any wires. There are numerous ways to cleverly hide your wires cheaply. 

I'm not saying wireless isn't a great addition to networking, obviously it is. But you're almost suggesting throwing wired connections and even ethernet ports entirely out the window. 

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

and here you took a full circle again. Can you just remember my earlier replies, I never said wired internet was bad. Everyone values security more but how many poeple had successful attempts using aircrack. And I doubt anything more powerful will be used assuming you're not world famous. 

Cleverly hide cables by drilling holes? How do you run your cables through doorways?

btw, I only talk about stuff i know about so take that for what its is

You have way, way, WAY too much trust in cloud backup storage, and the companies/corporations that will be managing your data.

You can suggest alternatives, such as cloud storage. But you cannot suggest that is all we need, and should be the way it is. 

I mentioned an OR completely making your statement invalid. And again you're deviating from what Im trying to say about wireless earphones which doesn't have any of these so called problems

Yeah I questioned what you meant by "hardcore" in an edit to my previous post. I stream data, but not what I would consider "hardcore" amounts of data. Which is an interesting point, I'd say most households are now regularly using what would have been considered hardcore amounts of data 5 years ago.

yeah and routers are made to handle it, so i guess its not a problem

and here you took a full circle again. Can you just remember my earlier replies, I never said wired internet was bad. Everyone values security more but how many poeple had successful attempts using aircrack. And I doubt anything more powerful will be used assuming you're not world famous. 

Cleverly hide cables by drilling holes? How do you run your cables through doorways?

btw, I only talk about stuff i know about so take that for what its is

You never "said it." But you most certainty implied it. You're implying that's the way we should progress forward, and wired networks are an old technology that should be deprecated. 

Yes, you can hide cables by running them behind walls. It's very easy to patch drywall. 

I mentioned an OR completely making your statement invalid. And again you're deviating from what Im trying to say about wireless earphones which doesn't have any of these so called problems

Your usage of the word or, again, is implying to progress towards that and leave the older technology behind, not bringing it with us. I mean, your whole argument is to make everything wireless. Why would you then have anything that could potentially be used wired? That's what Apple might be doing here. They removed the old source of a wired headphone. So, you would be removing the ability to use a physical external drive, and you would be forced to use a cloud service.

You can't act like you're on one side, and then flip flop.

It really doesn't matter, since all wireless devices needs a wire to charge it. I've also seen many people with laptops just not care and leave the charger in almost all the time anyway. With wired, you have the freedom of not caring about when your device is going to run out of the battery, simply because it is powered by the wire. The benefit of no charge maintenance is a very strong one, especially when batteries slowly die anyway. And the feeling of forgetting the charger for your wireless device is a very big problem. Wireless devices have far more problems than a wired device.

Not enough people are working on it. That's the whole point. And again its audio and most people can't tell the difference, so what makes you think there will be a day and night difference lest if there's any difference. Please please elaborate on what part i don't make sense, I'm anyways replying to all the comments.

Its just plain stupid that this only happening because its apple. Admit it, most people judgment gets clouded when they hear or see apple anywhere and hence that's why certain people are against me while many others are trying not to get involved 

Yes, because when Apple does something, research will triple for it and thousands of companies will start making more Bluetooth products.

/s.

Apple still owns less than 20% of the market share in smartphone sales. Are you sure that 100% of companies will start researching development in a <20% market? People are not against Apple itself. People are against stupid ideas like this, and stupid people like you who praise Apple as a god when they make bad decisions. 

People are refuting your claims because they are wrong. Bluetooth doesn't sound as good, Bluetooth is more expensive, Bluetooth uses more battery, Bluetooth will not be totally supported by everybody because Apple did it. Prove me wrong.

I used to be quite active here.

You guys are such delusionists

I'm positive that Apple not trying to move away from the standard but rather forcibly evolve the industry. Good Bluetooth headphones are only in the very minor part of the markets today, that is until the iPhone 7 launches.

Apple ditching the old 3.5mm jack would mean goodbye wired headphones but noooo people especially in this forum gets tacky when it comes to apple and would rather prefer to old tech. 

Lightning standard is just a mere alternative for those 0.0001% pur audiophiles who wants to use their 10,000 headphone with their phone (which they shouldn't be in the first place)

I'm glad apple will be doing this as they're forcibly pushing the industry forward, but you guys can still act dumb and thank apple 5 years later when wired headphones will be like 90s tech 

Bluetooth is NOT an evolution from the 3.5 jack. It's an alternative as well as the only option if you need it to be wireless. But if you think forcing people who could use a cable no problem to pay 100$ extra on their headphones and charge them regularly is a good idea, think again. Cabled headphones are not something that needs to go, not when they have distinct advantages over bluetooth ones and are significantly cheaper.

If this is true it's nonsense and the only reason to do it is sparing production money by not including a dac and selling you overpriced apple certified garbage if you want to use the headphones you already own.

If this was because the jack is "old technology" and we need to "move on", can you point me the extra dedicated usb port? Because it doesn't look like there is one and I would be incredibly surprised if it appeared in the final release.

I'd call out any other company that would try and pull this bullshit, it just so happens that in this case it's apple and frankly they're the only ones I would have expected it from.

apple wouldn't go through with that, as for one thing they'd have to include more expensive earphones and that'll reduce their already huge profit margin.

Who says they'll include headphones? There was a point where they didn't even include a charger iirc. They'll just sell it you you separately for 70$ or under the beats brand.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*