iPhone 7 Leaks 'Confirm' Apple Abandoning Headphone Jack

Section35

You guys are such delusionists

I'm positive that Apple not trying to move away from the standard but rather forcibly evolve the industry. Good Bluetooth headphones are only in the very minor part of the markets today, that is until the iPhone 7 launches.

Apple ditching the old 3.5mm jack would mean goodbye wired headphones but noooo people especially in this forum gets tacky when it comes to apple and would rather prefer to old tech. 

Lightning standard is just a mere alternative for those 0.0001% pur audiophiles who wants to use their 10,000 headphone with their phone (which they shouldn't be in the first place)

I'm glad apple will be doing this as they're forcibly pushing the industry forward, but you guys can still act dumb and thank apple 5 years later when wired headphones will be like 90s tech 

I wouldn't say anybody is "delusional". We're just aware that Apple are fucking great at marketing.

I don't doubt for a second that they'll convince certain people that 3.5mm wired audio is too old school and you should either be using "Wireless HD Audio" or "HD lightning Audio". And perhaps it's less about advancing and improving tech, and more about driving people more deeply into their ecosystem, which now includes Beats.

I have only ever seen 4 people use wireless keyboards and usually because they'd use it for a laptop and not a desktop. Wireless mice are indeed more popular (than wireless keyboards), but again, they are usually small and used for laptops cause most laptops have shit trackpads. Now compare this to everybody else I've seen use a wired keyboard, which is mostly everyone PLUS a great deal of offices (and every classroom at college for that matter).

Not really my fault if you haven't seen people with wireless keyboards and mice. You're right only people with laptops tend to have wireless mice, but usually there are only two kinds of people who own desktops, people who want a cheaper computer or tech enthusiasts like us. The folks who want the cheaper continue will obviously take off the shelf peripherals since and all of them will be wired. On the other hand I do know many enthusiast who has wireless mice including me (G602) but usually not keyboard since you don't get wireless mechanical keys.

But everyone in between use wireless peripherals as they're so much more convenient and can make things look clean 

In offices and classrooms they purposely use wired keys so it wouldn't be easy for someone to steal the peripherals. Plus its cheaper on the massive scales so that point gets striked off

I wouldn't say anybody is "delusional". We're just aware that Apple are fucking great at marketing.

I don't doubt for a second that they'll convince certain people that 3.5mm wired audio is too old school and you should either be using "Wireless HD Audio" or "HD lightning Audio". And perhaps it's less about advancing and improving tech, and more about driving people more deeply into their ecosystem, which now includes Beats.

According to me it is. Everything needs to go wireless as soon as it can and audio is great place to start. Maybe apple took it a little too far ahead with the MacBook but its time wireless headsets become a thing since ausio has been really stagnant these years

Objectively worse? Nope, most if not all people cant even tell the difference with decent pairs. They can be made efficient, they sound about the same if given enough research, its harder to setup? What are you grandfather to who doesn't know how to turn on some earphones

Never said wired sucks but the fact that it has wires sucks

Not getting into the rest of the arguments, but just because the average person can't tell the difference, it doesn't prevent something from being objectively better. It may not matter that a thing is better, but it's still better.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

According to me it is. Everything needs to go wireless as soon as it can and audio is great place to start. Maybe apple took it a little too far ahead with the MacBook but its time wireless headsets become a thing since ausio has been really stagnant these years

You can already do that, without losing the option of wired. So I don't see what's holding people back, other than the fact wireless in inferior.

You guys are such delusionists

I'm positive that Apple not trying to move away from the standard but rather forcibly evolve the industry. Good Bluetooth headphones are only in the very minor part of the markets today, that is until the iPhone 7 launches.

Apple ditching the old 3.5mm jack would mean goodbye wired headphones but noooo people especially in this forum gets tacky when it comes to apple and would rather prefer to old tech. 

Lightning standard is just a mere alternative for those 0.0001% pur audiophiles who wants to use their 10,000 headphone with their phone (which they shouldn't be in the first place)

I'm glad apple will be doing this as they're forcibly pushing the industry forward, but you guys can still act dumb and thank apple 5 years later when wired headphones will be like 90s tech 

bluetooth  <<<<<< wired

why?

Bluetooth audio protocol is lossy, meaning that some of the data is lost. However, it is digital, meaning that the audio reproduction in the headset is bit-exact the same data that was transmitted.

The data is encoded to a digital format that is compressed in a way that loses some of the source data (but hopefully not enough that you can perceive it); but the data stream is much more resilient to interruption, due to buffering, which means that you are unlikely to notice even if some other electromagnetic frequency transmission interferes with your bluetooth (temporarily).

Analog audio over a standard 3.5mm headphone jack (technically called a "TRS" connector) can be very high quality if the audio playback device has a good DAC. An amplifier (separate or built-in) can make the signal sound even better.

A "good pair of cans" (good headphones) can sound amazing with this dated analog mode of transmitting audio down a cable. If you are using a very high quality DAC on the source audio device, chances are it's better than the DAC that has to be in the bluetooth headphones to convert the bluetooth digital data to analog, because the in-headphones DAC is limited by battery power and size constraints -- but a sound card in a computer is much less constrained. Even sound chips in smartphones are great these days.

But most important: BLUETOOTH AUDIO IS LOSSY

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

You can already do that, without losing the option of wired. So I don't see what's holding people back, other than the fact wireless in inferior.

Really? WIreless is inferior now but it won't be if someone like apple does this. We would've all been stuck with wired internet if all devices had an ethernet jack

Giving option here wouldn't encourage anyone to develop something new as everyone's intent is to make money and don't give a damn crap about the industry. Another example I can give you as a buyer is cheaper (old) vs expensive (new) argument. Obviously most people will go for the cheaper option but the fact that apple's going to cut that cheaper option and eventually the expensive option will become cheaper because economics

bluetooth  <<<<<< wired

why?

Bluetooth audio protocol is lossy, meaning that some of the data is lost. However, it is digital, meaning that the audio reproduction in the headset is bit-exact the same data that was transmitted.

The data is encoded to a digital format that is compressed in a way that loses some of the source data (but hopefully not enough that you can perceive it); but the data stream is much more resilient to interruption, due to buffering, which means that you are unlikely to notice even if some other electromagnetic frequency transmission interferes with your bluetooth (temporarily).

Analog audio over a standard 3.5mm headphone jack (technically called a "TRS" connector) can be very high quality if the audio playback device has a good DAC. An amplifier (separate or built-in) can make the signal sound even better.

A "good pair of cans" (good headphones) can sound amazing with this dated analog mode of transmitting audio down a cable. If you are using a very high quality DAC on the source audio device, chances are it's better than the DAC that has to be in the bluetooth headphones to convert the bluetooth digital data to analog, because the in-headphones DAC is limited by battery power and size constraints -- but a sound card in a computer is much less constrained. Even sound chips in smartphones are great these days.

But most important: BLUETOOTH AUDIO IS LOSSY

I never asked you tell me the technicalities of why wired is better because i know, it's just common sense. A direct connection without interference is always better due to laws of physics

But you're talking about earphones here. Have you used a jaybird X2? It sounds way better than the earphones that come with smartphone which is what most people use. No one will run into lossy audio signals unless someone uses a jammer which i believe is illegal to do so

Not really my fault if you haven't seen people with wireless keyboards and mice. You're right only people with laptops tend to have wireless mice, but usually there are only two kinds of people who own desktops, people who want a cheaper computer or tech enthusiasts like us. The folks who want the cheaper continue will obviously take off the shelf peripherals since and all of them will be wired. On the other hand I do know many enthusiast who has wireless mice including me (G602) but usually not keyboard since you don't get wireless mechanical keys.

But everyone in between use wireless peripherals as they're so much more convenient and can make things look clean 

In offices and classrooms they purposely use wired keys so it wouldn't be easy for someone to steal the peripherals. Plus its cheaper on the massive scales so that point gets striked off

Everyone in between is not the majority.

Obviously wired internet is the best solution, but now even wireless is very close to attaining 1Gbps speed and this would've never been possible if all devices had an ethernet jack. 

While speeds can be great on wi-fi, the stability of a wireless network is always worse and that's more important.

I never asked you tell me the technicalities of why wired is better because i know, it's just common sense. A direct connection without interference is always better due to laws of physics

But you're talking about earphones here. Have you used a jaybird X2? It sounds way better than the earphones that come with smartphone which is what most people use. No one will run into lossy audio signals unless someone uses a jammer which i believe is illegal to do so

So do most wired in-ears (which aren't $5). Let's say Apple does ditch the 3.5mm jack. They'll have to offer some wireless version of their EarPods (I think it's called?). People will use that instead of your $150 alternative.

But his argument is so much more convincing if we just arbitrarily overlook all the points that discredit it, like business use.

Gamer friends? Really is that the best example you got. Don't you guys have any any exposure to outside world. Sadly I dont think there's a graph available on how many people use wireless peripherals when the answer is so damn obviuos

answer is so damn obvious? 

Go outside. 

I used to be quite active here.

While speeds can be great on wi-fi, the stability of a wireless network is always worse and that's more important.

Actually they are. Since when did tech enthusiast and old folks become the majority?

If you use 2005 router you might have stability issues but not even as close us much in the newer ones. You plot a graph about of the improvement and you extrapolate it you'll see where I'm getting my reasons from

Oh look, an unconfirmed tidbit about a phone that won't be out until later this year gets a ton of replies like it's a fact.

Ah it's because it says Apple in the headline. Right.

So do most wired in-ears (which aren't $5). Let's say Apple does ditch the 3.5mm jack. They'll have to offer some wireless version of their EarPods (I think it's called?). People will use that instead of your $150 alternative.

Only in the starting. Remeber all new tech is expensive until economics works it magic. So in the end you'll be left with really good $5 bluetooth earphones

answer is so damn obvious? 

Go outside. 

I am. not sure about you though :P

lol. You live in time where that statement is the complete opposite

Do you know why bluetooth headphones are bad? Because no one's spending enough R&D on it right now. But even that would be an understatement as jaybird X2 are really really good much much better than headphones most people use that come with their phones. Obviously wired internet is the best solution, but now even wireless is very close to attaining 1Gbps speed and this would've never been possible if all devices had an ethernet jack. 

Have you been living under a rock? Bluetooth has gotten exponentially better to a point where battery life hardly makes a difference now

Objectively worse? Nope, most if not all people cant even tell the difference with decent pairs. They can be made efficient, they sound about the same if given enough research, its harder to setup? What are you grandfather to who doesn't know how to turn on some earphones

Never said wired sucks but the fact that it has wires sucks

Bluetooth is bad because not enough people research? No, lots and lots of people develop and work on improving Bluetooth every single day and it's still mediocre. 

All of your points make no sense. Your opinion is your own, but you're so delusional to think that everybody should conform to it, as you already think. The Jaybird X2s are good for Bluetooth headphones, but compared to an analog alternative around the same price? Crushed. 

Keep crying your dumb argument. Everybody here is against it, so it's obviously not foolproof. 

I used to be quite active here.

Really? WIreless is inferior now but it won't be if someone like apple does this. We would've all been stuck with wired internet if all devices had an ethernet jack

Giving option here wouldn't encourage anyone to develop something new as everyone's intent is to make money and don't give a damn crap about the industry. Another example I can give you as a buyer is cheaper (old) vs expensive (new) argument. Obviously most people will go for the cheaper option but the fact that apple's going to cut that cheaper option and eventually the expensive option will become cheaper because economics

A wired internet connection is objectively better that Wireless in every respect other than convenience (in certain circumstances). Removing the ethernet port on any device I use, now renders it inconvenient because I only have access to an inferior connection (even when a lan connection is readily available).

Just to be painfully blunt (and to use your example), if we got rid of ethernet ports on all devices, that would not magically make wireless superior to wired. The fact you think Apple can achieve that, tells you everything you need to know about how effective their marketing is.

I am still wonder why phone makers think people still want thinner phones. They dont need to be any thinner then they were 2 years ago. First it was sacrificing battery not they are removing ports. 

Wireless headphones are nice but very niche for me. I just hate having another fucking device to charge up. 

Oh look, an unconfirmed tidbit about a phone that won't be out until later this year gets a ton of replies like it's a fact.

Ah it's because it says Apple in the headline. Right.

I think we've long passed the point of actually discussing the possible ditching of the jack  :lol:  I'm pretty sure people would also discuss this topic a lot if it was a rumor about Samsung, but people like to spread a lot more rumors about Apple than any other company (at least when it comes to weird things).

Bluetooth is bad because not enough people research? No, lots and lots of people develop and work on improving Bluetooth every single day and it's still mediocre. 

All of your points make no sense. Your opinion is your own, but you're so delusional to think that everybody should conform to it, as you already think. The Jaybird X2s are good for Bluetooth headphones, but compared to an analog alternative around the same price? Crushed.

Yeah well no shit. That's like shitting on a gaming laptop because it's not a desktop.

I am in no way vouching for the removal of the 3.5mm jack if that's even going to be a thing with Apple, but Bluetooth sounds fine. 

Keep crying your dumb argument. Everybody here is against it, so it's obviously not foolproof. 

Not enough people are working on it. That's the whole point. And again its audio and most people can't tell the difference, so what makes you think there will be a day and night difference lest if there's any difference. Please please elaborate on what part i don't make sense, I'm anyways replying to all the comments.

Its just plain stupid that this only happening because its apple. Admit it, most people judgment gets clouded when they hear or see apple anywhere and hence that's why certain people are against me while many others are trying not to get involved 

A wired internet connection is objectively better that Wireless in every respect other than convenience (in certain circumstances). Removing the ethernet port on any device I use, now renders it inconvenient because I only have access to an inferior connection (even when a lan connection is readily available).

Just to be painfully blunt (and to use your example), if we got rid of ethernet ports on all devices, that would not magically make wireless superior to wired. The fact you think Apple can achieve that, tells you everything you need to know about how effective their marketing is.

Its convenience here. I hate to restrict myself whenever i go for walks with my headphones and for some reason i feel weird to have wires around me . Honestly unless you're doing some hardcore streaming like games no one really needs a wired internet that'll just obviously continue to improve as long as physics approves it.

Never said apple can achieve it. I already know its possible after i got myself a jaybird x2s. the only thing that needs to come down is price which will only happen if someone does this

first let me tip my hat to you for comparing 5$ earphones with 150$ ones

Second, the audio is lossy, not the signal, the audio, audio as in the actual file being transmitted from your phone to your precious bluetooth earphone

Third, your 150$ bluetooth earphones will still suck hard compared to 150$ earphones

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

first let me tip my hat to you for comparing 5$ earphones with 150$ ones

Second, the audio is lossy, not the signal, the audio, audio as in the actual file being transmitted from your phone to your precious bluetooth earphone

Third, your 150$ bluetooth earphones will still suck hard compared to 150$ earphones

Remember modems when they were like $50 and wireless routers were like $500. But now a days $30 routers can do a decent job. That's your argument now. All I'm asking is just replace the name apple with google or samsung and forethink a little bit. I still have hope in humanity

I know audio is lossy, but is it perceivable? Nope, atleast not in the good ones

lol. Most people cant differentiate the earphones that come with their phones to $100. Maybe side by side listening, but you'll never keep remembering the difference throughout your usage. Its basically like comparing a 720p phone with 1080p phone where the difference is ever so slight and anything beyond that is an absolute waste

honestly... It's apple. they will either sell a dongle or tons of third party manufacturers will make iphone specific headphones. It also makes a bit of sense since people are using more and more Bluetooth headphones.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

Only in the starting. Remeber all new tech is expensive until economics works it magic. So in the end you'll be left with really good $5 bluetooth earphones

How the hell is that going to work? We've had wired headphones for 75+ years and you STILL can't get "really good $5" ANYTHING to listen to, headphones, earbuds, or speakers. How will adding more parts make it cheaper and better at the same time?