need advice on good 7.1 or 5.1 headsets, and external AMP/DAC

I need help on upgrading my headset. I'm getting tired of my tiamat 7.1 since my mobo dosen't support it properly.

I play FPS games mostly, and I need a mic.
I don't have any extra PCI-e slots.

5.1 is fine, maybe an external AMP/DAC would be nice.

Budget is 200£ no more.
I don't like virtual 7.1, I prefer true 7.1. just leave it at that and don't be a smartass about it.

I need help on upgrading my headset. I'm getting tired of my tiamat 7.1 since my mobo dosen't support it properly.

Budget is 200£ no more.

I don't like virtual 7.1, I prefer true 7.1. just leave it at that and don't be a smartass about it.

ignore the dicks about to swarm

to be honest, the tiamat is about the only one youll find

an external usb sound card will actually work just fine

Dick swarm here, just buy a normal pair of headphones.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

still some out there who believe in that X.1 headphone/set shit

get something worth the money.

if you really NEED a full headset. beyerdynamic mmx300 (based on dt770, but not as detailed. can be found around 150£) and a fiio E10K (around 50£)

there are better options if you would seperate the mic from the headphones

V-Moda m100 and beyer custom one pro both can be upgraded to headset with a seperate boom mic wire 

ignore the dicks about to swarm

to be honest, the tiamat is about the only one youll find

an external usb sound card will actually work just fine

hmmm. right. thank you. do you have any recomendations for a good pair of 5.1 headset and a good external soundcard (within 200£)? I'm not an audiophile, so I can make do with most things.

still some out there who believe in that X.1 headphone/set shit

get something worth the money.

if you really NEED a full headset. beyerdynamic mmx300 (based on dt770, but not as detailed. can be found around 150£) and a fiio E10K (around 50£)

there are better options if you would seperate the mic from the headphones

V-Moda m100 and beyer custom one pro both can be upgraded to headset with a seperate boom mic wire 

well, I only have 200£. so really anything that is 5.1 with good audio is fine. and the reason for wanting an external soundcard is shitty built in soundcard

Smartass? Disckswarm? So be it.

There is no such thing as "true 7.1". All headsets that offer surround sound use DSP - there isn't any other way to make it work, physical drivers and inputs or not.

If you do get a surround headset, you won't need (or be able to take advantage of) an external amp. The number of external multichannel DACs is limited and all I know of are made of the likes of Asus and Creative. Might as well just use your motherboard at that point.

Smartass? Disckswarm? So be it.

There is no such thing as "true 7.1". All headsets that offer surround sound use DSP - there isn't any other way to make it work, physical drivers and inputs or not.

If you do get a surround headset, you won't need (or be able to take advantage of) an external amp. The number of external multichannel DACs is limited and all I know of are made of the likes of Asus and Creative. Might as well just use your motherboard at that point.

Shhhh everything you could say is invalid because one dumbass said to, "ignore the dicks about to swarm."

you'll get better 3d audio from a pair of open stereo headphones with larger better drivers rather than multiple small lower quality drivers.

wan

you'll get better 3d audio from a pair of open stereo headphones with larger better drivers rather than multiple small lower quality drivers.

driver size doesn't have much to do with audio quality. 

OP: 7.1 headphones don't work. I've tried the Tiamat 7.1 with 7.1 input and it still sounded like muddy farts. If you want surround, get actual surround speakers. A good set of open headphones will get you much further than any 7.1 headset and virtual surround. Sennheiser HD558 are a great start to the world of good audio for most people, and they're open and have a wide soundstage. 

about amps and dacs: if your motherboard works properly (no audible hissing, crackling, popping) and gets loud enough, you don't need to upgrade. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Budget is 200£ no more.

Ignore Joseph, the Tiamat 7.1 does NOT offer "true 7.1", sadly with how things work in the real world speakers are the only thing that can offer you 7.1. You can throw as many drivers in an earcup as you want but that doesn't make it a "true 7.1".

Which headset do you currently have so that we can recommend an upgrade?

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Ignore Joseph, the Tiamat 7.1 does NOT offer "true 7.1", sadly with how things work in the real world speakers are the only thing that can offer you 7.1. You can throw as many drivers in an earcup as you want but that doesn't make it a "true 7.1".

Which headset do you currently have so that we can recommend an upgrade?

did you read the OP? it says "I'm getting tired of my tiamat 7.1"

did you read the OP? it says "I'm getting tired of my tiamat 7.1"

Did you read what I said in relation to what WAS said in Joseph's post? Misinformation is a bitch and we see it all too often in this forum.

That said, SSL summed it up perfectly already.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Did you read what I said in relation to what WAS said in Joseph's post? Misinformation is a bitch and we see it all too often in this forum.

That said, SSL summed it up perfectly already.

OP said he has Tiamat 7.1's. That's what I was trying to say. And I agree with you about 7.1 in headphones not working. 

EDIT: Misinformation is also caused by not reading the material properly. OP stated in the first line that his current headset is a Tiamat 7.1. 

Edited by Lauen