GeForce GTX Titan X utilization in content creation

Go to solution Solved by Najuno,

Hello

I'm just wanting to know how I can utilize the full power of a GeForce GTX Titan X for digital content creation such as 3ds Max. Like figuring out how to use the 12GB of VRAM and the fully unlocked GM200 architecture to fully accelerate my particular workflow especially rendering my projects in a timely manner while maintaining a high quality standard. Last semester I knew for me could have been better if the school computers had much beefier GPU's and I had my own computer of similar strength.

The first and foremost reason why I am considering a Titan X is so I am able to create 3D models and scenes of my wildest dreams, but can't since I am severely limited on power and the fact that the laptop I commonly use would, die. Again, being able to use the entirety of the Titan X like you would with the M6000 or the K6000 in 3ds Max.

Please no 980 Ti suggestions. I have seen more than enough of it.

Since I don´t create 3D content I can´t tell, all I do is benchmarking, compressing and video editing. But I did some research and came up with this thread from Tom´s Hardware. The last answer seems to be a guy that uses it professionally, so that might help you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2724204/titan-980ti-rendering-gaming.html

Hello

I'm just wanting to know how I can utilize the full power of a GeForce GTX Titan X for digital content creation such as 3ds Max. Like figuring out how to use the 12GB of VRAM and the fully unlocked GM200 architecture to fully accelerate my particular workflow especially rendering my projects in a timely manner while maintaining a high quality standard. Last semester I knew for me could have been better if the school computers had much beefier GPU's and I had my own computer of similar strength.

The first and foremost reason why I am considering a Titan X is so I am able to create 3D models and scenes of my wildest dreams, but can't since I am severely limited on power and the fact that the laptop I commonly use would, die. Again, being able to use the entirety of the Titan X like you would with the M6000 or the K6000 in 3ds Max.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

get a 980 ti

The request was not to get a 980 Ti. Did you read what I asked politely about 980 Ti's? Clearly you didn't. Now I just want to know how to best use a Titan X to accelerate my 3ds Max workflow while maintaining a high degree of quality.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Also to tell someone like me who does content creation to get a 980 Ti for example when they asked how they can utilize the Titan X makes you look like a dick. I didn't ask what card should I get for content creation. I clearly asked how should I fully utilize a Titan X for that reason.

get a 980 ti

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Also to tell someone like me who does content creation to get a 980 Ti for example when they asked how they can utilize the Titan X makes you look like a dick. I didn't ask what card should I get for content creation. I clearly asked how should I fully utilize a Titan X for that reason.

Titan X is a gaming card.

Quadros are the work-grade cards. Look at those

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I do 1080p content creation on a 660 ti and an i3 YOU DONT NEED A TITAN X

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

Titan X is a gaming card.

Quadros are the work-grade cards. Look at those

Not entirely, they are also advertized as content creation cards for customers

Sorry, mean consumers* or in fact that they are customer-grade content creation focused cards [emoji14]

Still, if he/she wants to "accelerate his workflow", he's far better with a Quadro or a FirePro.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Hello

Since I don´t create 3D content I can´t tell, all I do is benchmarking, compressing and video editing. But I did some research and came up with this thread from Tom´s Hardware. The last answer seems to be a guy that uses it professionally, so that might help you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2724204/titan-980ti-rendering-gaming.html

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

get a 980 ti

Clearly didn't read the part about 3D rendering workflows, something which the Titan X would help with.

You guys are also forgetting that whilst a Quadro or Fire Pro would be better, they're also FAR more expensive. A Titan X is a good middleground between the mainstream cards and the workstation grade ones.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Original Titan yes

TItan X no

Titan X is still maxwel and still sucks at direct compute

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Original Titan yes

TItan X no

Titan X is still maxwel and still sucks at direct compute

Correct. Titan X doesn't have double precision which was the main selling point of the original titan in the content creation workspace. It's basically a pointless card to get money from people who don't want to wait for a 980ti launch imo :P

If you want a worthwile content creation card you need to go with Quadro or FirePro. Otherwise you're better off with the raw power offered by AMD based GPUs unless CUDA fits into your workflow.

Correct. Titan X doesn't have double precision which was the main selling point of the original titan in the content creation workspace. It's basically a pointless card to get money from people who don't want to wait for a 980ti launch imo :P

Couldn't have said it better myself

The original Titans were given "workstation" advertisements as a backup in case anyone complained about the price, with un-gimped double precision performance so they would have something to point to (even though double precision is not used in most workstation applications, its more of a supercomputer/HPC thing). Once people got used to the idea of a $1000 top-tier card, they abandoned the facade entirely. The Titan X is and always has been marketed completely as a gaming card. It says "Inspired by gamers. Built by NVIDIA." on the box. It uses standard GeForce drivers. There is nothing about it that is more optimized for workstations than any other GeForce cards unless you count loads of VRAM.

The primary difference with a Quadro card is the drivers, which are very different. A lot of workstation applications are artificially limited to disable certain features (like RealView in SolidWorks) or use only a small percentage of the GPU's power (Premiere Pro) unless you have Quadro or FirePro recognized cards. In theory GeForce is just as good if you can fool the system into thinking its a Quadro and install Quadro drivers, but NVIDIA have been cracking down on this lately and I don't know of any way to circumvent it with recent generations (600 series and up) unless you want to solder resistors on the back of a 780 Ti :P

Long story short, the Titan X is a GeForce card like any other, the original Titans were the same. The 980 Ti is a much better value for anything unless the extra VRAM is crucial for something. Only an actual Quadro card can be utilized to its full potential in workstation applications.

I do 1080p content creation on a 660 ti and an i3 YOU DONT NEED A TITAN X

For what I do yes. I have made a few projects that I couldn't render in a timely manner while maintaining a high quality standard. I use 3ds Max.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

If you want a worthwile content creation card you need to go with Quadro or FirePro. Otherwise you're better off with the raw power offered by AMD based GPUs unless CUDA fits into your workflow.

Even the Maxwell Quadros don't have double precision. The rendering algorithms in 3ds Max only goes up to single precision in the latest releases.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Clearly didn't read the part about 3D rendering workflows, something which the Titan X would help with.

You guys are also forgetting that whilst a Quadro or Fire Pro would be better, they're also FAR more expensive. A Titan X is a good middleground between the mainstream cards and the workstation grade ones.

That's correct. I really don't have that much cash walking around that I can snag a Quadro in my computer of reasonable power. So the Titan X is the best bet that I have. Remember if I am going to scale my own projects to larger than I have ever been capable of doing, I'm going to need something big.

Oh and if you haven't checked Autodesk's drivers be sure to, there are some GeForce drivers for certain cards too.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Yes I'm going to need CUDA since the software I use is CUDA-accelerated. 3ds Max is one such program.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Yes I'm going to need CUDA since the software I use is CUDA-accelerated. 3ds Max is one such program.

Then 980ti offers you the most for your money. Titan X has no compute advantage.

This came from Tom's Hardware

I know this has been answered and you've probably bought your card a while ago but I believe the answers failed to cover every part of your question.

- 1. Worth it? Generally yes if you have the money and are using it in a professional settting. Render speeds will remain about the same, the card performance is very close to one another, but the extra VRAM allows you to double your scene complexity. Most GPU renderers are limited by the VRAM. I use Octane and work with large CAD file conversions and without optimizing it is pretty easy to hit the limit with a 980 ti (that's what I have and wish I had gotten the X). Keep in mind that even with a full 6GB you will not be allowed to utilize all of it for rendering due to card overhead. To give you an idea, and this is just a rough example but my 6GB Ti generally fails to load a scene when there are more than 14-16 million polygons but it varies depending on other loaded textures, etc. That sounds like plenty but with some instances, repetition, subdivision or heavy CAD conversions, I hit it more often than I'd like.

-2. SLI depends on the renderer. Currently with Octane in version 2.24 SLI is not supported, so I keep it off. Not sure about the other renderers.

- I am hoping in the upcoming versions it wont matter as much so that may be something to hold out for but for now it is definitely a factor. There are some tools out there currently to side load the textures for example but that only goes so far.

That's was the answer guys. The 12GB of VRAM will certainly help if I want to scale my projects to a whole new level and increase the complexity. The possibilities are endless. Also when I do get a Titan X and later on another one for SLI, I'm going to be squeezing as much life out of them as I can. I'm not looking for the next big thing considering the 12GB of VRAM as well.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Still, if he/she wants to "accelerate his workflow", he's far better with a Quadro or a FirePro.

Well, if we speak about crude performance, yes. Just remember that Quadros are way much more expensive, due to ECC memory, which is not that necessary when it comes to consumer aplications, and therefore he could buy more GPUs and SLI / Crossfire them to achieve better performance, than buy one, as powerful one, or slightly better. You made a good point though!

Well, if we speak about crude performance, yes. Just remember that Quadros are way much more expensive, due to ECC memory, which is not that necessary when it comes to consumer aplications, and therefore he could buy more GPUs and SLI / Crossfire them to achieve better performance, than buy one, as powerful one, or slightly better. You made a good point though!

Well not just that they have ECC memory, they're validated to a much higher standard than their GeForce counterparts, which is why Quadros, like FirePros are certified by companies like Adobe, Autodesk, SolidWorks, etc. I do however plan on using Quadros in the future, but not for the applications right now in the present, so GeForce GPU's are the best in my situation because for $1,000 USD, I can get a Titan X rather than a Quadro M4000, but it won't last long on air unless I watercool them because like what I said, Quadros are best at rendering quality and precision and GeForce is best at frames-per-second.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440