Why does AMD & Nvidia Make Reference Cards

stan92
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Centrifugal fans blow air to the sides of the fan.  So they are placed on one end of the heatsink and they blow air through the heatsink and out the other end:

GeForceGTX_Titan_3Qtr2a.jpg

These fans have to spin pretty fast to push much air, so they are typically noisier than axial fans, but the way they blow the air means that it exhausts out the back of the case.

Meanwhile, axial fans blow air down into the heatsink, and it hits the bottom and disperses in all directions, taking the heat with it.  These fans can push a much higher volume of air than centrifugal fans at much quieter volumes, and you can have more than one, further increasing airflow and decreasing noise (because with more than one fan, you can have them spin at slower speeds and still get a lot of air flowing).  You can usually fit more heatsink into these cards as well since the fans sit on top of the heatsink, while blower fans are as tall as the whole card to maximize airflow from them as much as possible, so they take up space on the card that could otherwise be heatsink fins.  However these custom cooler designs usually exaust the hot air back into the case, so it's not good if you have 3 or 4 graphics cards in a system, or a system that has a lot of heat and not a lot of exhaust case fans.

evga_acx_cooler.jpg

Why does AMD & Nvidia Make Reference Cards? whats the purpose? they are hot and loud? and how does the aftermarket like sapphire and asus make their cards? or is the pcb and components made by amd then asus and sapphire etc buy the cards and put their own coolers etc on them???

Usually a partner make the graphics card PCB based on Nvidia's or AMD's design. Some companys then goes out and makes their own PCB design.

The reference designed cooler is there becuase it's the cheapest way of keeping the card cool. They are loud and runs hot, but they areøt meant for overclocking or overvolting.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

ok, @ what does for reference mean? does it mean they are built for testing or????

Simply to showcase their product.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

also @Volbet when you say "Usually a partner make the graphics card PCB based on Nvidia's or AMD's design. " what do you mean? who is the partner?

and can someone give me an example of two cards with different PCB designs, also would the PCB design change the performance of the GPU?

thanks @XzzDSA so they are showcased because they look good correct?

Usually a partner make the graphics card PCB based on Nvidia's or AMD's design. Some companys then goes out and makes their own PCB design.

The reference designed cooler is there becuase it's the cheapest way of keeping the card cool. They are loud and runs hot, but they areøt meant for overclocking or overvolting.

post-2255-0-91205600-1378027652.png

Do you just use that as your default answer now? :P

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

AMD and NVIDIA make the cards. they are the ones who research on it, create the technology. they are the brains behind it. partners like ASUS are the ones modifying it. they make new PCBs and design better coolers. every partner modifies or improves the card and then sell them to consumers.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

You can say that yes. And as others have mentioned the design of the pcb and components is more like a blueprint for others to use or "edit" so to speak.

The cooler design is all for showcase though.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

also @Volbet when you say "Usually a partner make the graphics card PCB based on Nvidia's or AMD's design. " what do you mean? who is the partner?

and can someone give me an example of two cards with different PCB designs, also would the PCB design change the performance of the GPU?

Usually a custom PCB design features better power delivery. It can also be very exotic thing like the Asus Hot Wire or different power inputs. This usually mean that a custom PCB card can run a higher overclock, but that is not guaranteed. 

Here is a comperison between a custom PCB and a reference PCB GTX 680

post-5244-0-33172200-1376051277.jpeg  post-5244-0-93202700-1376051282.jpg

Reference                                                                                                    Custom

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

ok, what does for reference mean?

ref·er·ence [ref-er-uhns, ref-ruhns] Show IPA noun, verb, ref·er·enced, ref·er·enc·ing.

noun

an act or instance of referring.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Why does AMD & Nvidia Make Reference Cards? whats the purpose? they are hot and loud? and how does the aftermarket like sapphire and asus make their cards? or is the pcb and components made by amd then asus and sapphire etc buy the cards and put their own coolers etc on them???

Reference cards are usually hotter and louder than non-reference ones, because if you would deviate from reference, why make it worse than what everyone else has the capability of? The only thing (to my knowledge) which is "made by" nvidia or amd is the die

ok, @ what does for reference mean? does it mean they are built for testing or????

As an example of how to make a good and functioning PCB that works as intended without. Same with the cooler. Everyone can make reference cards and have a good card, and then they can improve on the design by spending more on components and doing their own R&D

MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, all of those are partners.

MSI and ASUS' 780s have different pcb design, MSI used nVidias reference design, ASUS made their own. 

Most guys make their own coolers to slap on the cards.

No, when nVidia or AMD launches cards, they'll need some cards to show off the performance and they'll need cards to send out to reviewers for testing, that kind of showcase. That's why you see guys like Linus having cards with no other branding on them. 

(These are reference made by nvidia or amd, but reference design can be used by all others)

Non-reference cards might not fulfill all the requirements set to the reference cards. Some might be longer (thus maybe not fitting inside a case) Some might not exhaust air out the back although that was the way intended by nvidia, some might take up more slots to accommodate the cooler

Reference does not only refer to the cooler, but the design and layout and componentry on the PCB.  Designing and sourcing a PCB on your own is a huge engineering undertaking, not all manufacturers have this capability, as it is an expensive process.  To keep prices competitive, NVIDIA and AMD both design reference cards themselves so that their vendors do not have to, and can purchase the reference models from NVIDIA/AMD and sell them for lower prices.  Some manufacturers still design their own PCB along with the reference model, to boast better overclocking capability, but these cards are typically sold at a much higher price to make up for development costs.  No manufacturer sells only custom PCBs.

thankyou everyone

@KaareKanin very good answer
@Glenwing please rephrase or reword "Some manufacturers still design their own PCB along with the reference model" and "No manufacturer sells only custom PCBs." please as i didnt understand these two sentences...

also would the custom PCB design's from ASUS etc change the performance of the GPU? and do these 'partners' use the exact same chip or do they create new chips based on the reference ones to fit their custom PCB's?

@KaareKanin please answer my questions:  
 Would the custom PCB design's from ASUS etc change the performance of the GPU?
2. Do the 'partners' use the exact same processing chip or do they create new chips based on the reference ones to fit their custom PCB's?

@KaareKanin please answer my questions:  

1. Would the custom PCB design's from ASUS etc change the performance of the GPU?

2. Do the 'partners' use the exact same processing chip or do they create new chips based on the reference ones to fit their custom PCB's?

please use the edit function.

1. custom PCBs can affect the cooling and performance of a card. they design it for better power management and other things that most people don't know (i don't either)

2. they use the exact same chip. the partners buy these GPUs from AMD or NVIDIA and then they go and do whatever they want as long as AMD and NVIDIA allows them to.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

ok thanks @iAsuno. What do you mean use the edit function? what for?

also when you say performance do you mean the custom card would get more fps in a game at same settings and clock speeds than a reference card???

ok thanks @iAsuno. What do you mean use the edit function? what for?

also when you say performance do you mean the custom card would get more fps in a game at same settings and clock speeds than a reference card???

you have posted for 3 consecutive times.

not necessarily. it really depends on the chip you get. not all chips are the same. some may be better than others.

@iAsuno ok better at stock clocks or do you mean some are better at overclocking?

@iAsuno ok better at stock clocks or do you mean some are better at overclocking?

Better overclocking. And cooling.

ok so no fps increase unless overlocked..