Thoughts on magic

Clanscorpia

What do you guys think about magic, psionics and the such? I personally and a practitioner of them but what do you guys think why do you think they aren't or are real? I want to see what people other than practitioners think

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

It looks cool, for sure. I always like to think about how magicians pull off elaborate tricks.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Sorry, magick, real thing like runes and the such

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

You should probably use that magic to upgrade your pc. 

Magic Missile!

This world belongs to no one!!!!! 

You should probably use that magic to upgrade your pc. 

Trut me, I've thought about the idea of it, magick and psionics involve a lot of theorys

Spoiler

AXIOM

I think they are mind tricks, i dont believe in magic. However some of the stuff can certainly be pretty awesome. 

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

Magic Missile!

D&D reference?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Magic is but a illusion. 

Go Fred! bring reason!!!!! 

I wish magic was a thing.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Why do you guys think its not real though?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Because reality. 

Because its not. Just like Santa is (*Spoiler Alert*) not real either.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

But why, and

Because its not. Just like Santa is (*Spoiler Alert*) not real either.

I'm not an idiot

Spoiler

AXIOM

The idea of there being energy sources, physics, and science that can produce seemingly miraculous effects (Imagine showing someone from the Middle Ages a video on an iPad) is a totally legit and possible concept.

However, "Magic", as in the "I 100% legit believe this is mystical fairytale magic", is kind of a ridiculous concept.

If it's real, then prove it, via the empirical scientific method, in a measurable and reproducible environment.

Same thing with Ghosts, telepathy, etc. The concept of telepathy isn't strictly impossible (though highly unlikely with the modern human brain - likely an additional electrochemically sensitive organ of some sort would be required), but until it's been proven, it's all horse feed.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

There is no proof showing that it is real. It's obscure, more so than the religion and god debate.

Go Fred! bring reason!!!!! 

*shrugs* just sayin lol.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

But why, and

I'm not an idiot

Because all evidence I've seen points to the fact that it doesn't exist. Why would I believe it?

Also, the word magic is poorly defined. It is basically just used as a generic term for unrealistic abilities in fantasy fiction, but it works differently in different fictions. But if you specify how said magic works and provide solid proof for the fact that it works, I'd believe it.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

The idea of there being energy sources, physics, and science that can produce seemingly miraculous effects (Imagine showing someone from the Middle Ages a video on an iPad) is a totally legit and possible concept.

However, "Magic", as in the "I 100% legit believe this is mystical fairytale magic", is kind of a ridiculous concept.

If it's real, then prove it, via the empirical scientific method, in a measurable and reproducible environment.

Same thing with Ghosts, telepathy, etc. The concept of telepathy isn't strictly impossible (though highly unlikely with the modern human brain - likely an additional electrochemically sensitive organ of some sort would be required), but until it's been proven, it's all horse feed.

If you think of it, we used to have magick (if we trust old writings, and if you dont trust those look at the bible), but the magick currently used by magicians is different, its willing something to happen. And nobodys accepting the proof because they cant trust someones thought (most psionics)

Spoiler

AXIOM

Because all evidence I've seen points to the fact that it doesn't exist. Why would I believe it?

Also, the word magic is purely defined. It is basically just used as a generic term for unrealistic abilities in fantasy fiction, but it works differently in different fictions. But if you specify how said magic works and provide solid proof for the fact that it works, I'd believe it.

Thats why its really 'Magick'

Spoiler

AXIOM

lol

If you think of it, we used to have magick (if we trust old writings, and if you dont trust those look at the bible), but the magick currently used by magicians is different, its willing something to happen. And nobodys accepting the proof because they cant trust someones thought (most psionics)

Yeah.... That's not proof.

Also, I don't trust those "historical" writings. For one thing, many were written far after the fact, through second hand, third hand - or more - word of mouth. The Bible is a very good example of this - most of the documents were written multiple years (dozens, even hundreds) after the fact.

I don't believe we used to have magic, because there is no proof.

As I said, if Magic is real, then prove it. Thinking something and willing it to happen is BS. If you can actually think something and will it to happen, then hook yourself up to an EKG, brain scanners, etc, in a Laboratory, in front of a full panel of independent, peer reviewed, respected scientists (of the appropriately correct disciplines), who will monitor, document, and video tape your "magic".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But why, and

I'm not an idiot

See below;

^^ what He said. Couldn't have said it better.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER