Should I sell my 7970?

c4pt1n54n0

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics performance in the pc in my sig, it runs everything I play at 1080p excellently, but I want to future proof it a bit, as well as be able to play in 1x3 eyefinity/surround at 1080p X3 in the future Though I would not do it regularly, but I would like to know I have the headroom). So my question is, would I be better off buying a 7950 and crossfiring it with my current 7970, or should I sell my 7970, and buy something along the lines of a 780 or possibly a Titan, if I can find a good deal. I can get a 7950 for $220 US. What do you guys think? Also, I may take the 7950 and put it in a separate system down the road, how much real world performance is there between a 900 MHz 7950 Double D, and a GHz ed. 7970 Double D?

Thanks!

Main Machines~ Prometheus - i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, X79-UD3, HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 24Gb (2x8Gb, 2x4Gb), XFX Double-D 7970, H100i, Military green C70, TX850M, All Corsair SP/AF-120 fans, Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, 750Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM x2, NZXT Hue accent lights (wouldn't reccommend, they don't stick well). Laptop~ Asus X202E touch notebook- 500Gb 5400RPM 7mm HDD, 4Gb RAM-not upgradeable, 1.8GHz i3, HD4000

You won't get much for a used 7970, and CFX with a 7950 isn't a great idea since you choke the 7970 to 7950 levels.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

time and time again, people try to reference "futureproofing" with computer hardware, but to no avail. There are no such thing as futureproofing a computer it will fail in some point in time because there will be features that will start to surface and the hardware you spent lots of money on wont have.

If you can play YOUR games now fine, then dont upgrade. Just do it whenever you see your computer dont perform to your satisfactory, its all personal preferences and a subjective argument, but its the only truth you can play around when buying computer hardware.

my two cents.

//D-tail

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

time and time again, people try to reference "futureproofing" with computer hardware, but to no avail. There are no such thing as futureproofing a computer it will fail in some point in time because there will be features that will start to surface and the hardware you spent lots of money on wont have.

If you can play YOUR games now fine, then dont upgrade. Just do it whenever you see your computer dont perform to your satisfactory, its all personal preferences and a subjective argument, but its the only truth you can play around when buying computer hardware.

my two cents.

//D-tail

If it runs perfectly, then no, upgrade then when you need to upgrade.

why not save up for another 7970?

as far as futureproofing, I guess life-extending would be a better term to use. I want to upgrade now, because well, I have money now, I am a Junior in high school 

(year 11) and just came back from summer vacation, where i spent the majority of my time working and saving money to register my car and be able to pay all of the fees associated with getting my driver's license. Due to the amount of time I spent working, I will have a bit of extra cash, and what better place to spend it than on some more horsepower for my PC? I have heard time and time again that the performance bump from a 7950 to a 7970 is negligible, and I figure ~$200 is a fair price to pay to buy myself a few more years of being able to play bleeding edge games with bleeding edge technologies maxed out, also, I would love some more FPS in Crysis 3

Main Machines~ Prometheus - i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, X79-UD3, HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 24Gb (2x8Gb, 2x4Gb), XFX Double-D 7970, H100i, Military green C70, TX850M, All Corsair SP/AF-120 fans, Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, 750Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM x2, NZXT Hue accent lights (wouldn't reccommend, they don't stick well). Laptop~ Asus X202E touch notebook- 500Gb 5400RPM 7mm HDD, 4Gb RAM-not upgradeable, 1.8GHz i3, HD4000

as far as futureproofing, I guess life-extending would be a better term to use. I want to upgrade now, because well, I have money now, I am a Junior in high school 

(year 11) and just came back from summer vacation, where i spent the majority of my time working and saving money to register my car and be able to pay all of the fees associated with getting my driver's license. Due to the amount of time I spent working, I will have a bit of extra cash, and what better place to spend it than on some more horsepower for my PC? I have heard time and time again that the performance bump from a 7950 to a 7970 is negligible, and I figure ~$200 is a fair price to pay to buy myself a few more years of being able to play bleeding edge games with bleeding edge technologies maxed out, also, I would love some more FPS in Crysis 3

Well thats just it, how to you know two CF 7970 will be playing the games that comes out next year? Short answer you wont know it until you are there, that is one of the reasen I always recommend this during a "upgrade" because lets face it, if you are playing the games today you want in a satisfactory manner then its just a waste of money, but if you are not playing your games satisfactory today then upgrade. Its up to you, but it is still the unknown factor in play and like my last post, you cannot futureproof a computer becasue we dont know what will come out and what feature our current hardware wont support(it might be gamebreaking, might not).

I can say today I play my games how I want them, but I cannot say that for the future. So if I was to judge for an upgrade today I would just save my money until I needed them.

In the end its up to you if you can justify to YOURSELF that an upgrade is worth it, its all subjective.

To the post, it is a good price put can you to yourself justify it if you dont need it?

//D-tail

Well thats just it, how to you know two CF 7970 will be playing the games that comes out next year? Short answer you wont know it until you are there, that is one of the reasen I always recommend this during a "upgrade" because lets face it, if you are playing the games today you want in a satisfactory manner then its just a waste of money, but if you are not playing your games satisfactory today then upgrade. Its up to you, but it is still the unknown factor in play and like my last post, you cannot futureproof a computer becasue we dont know what will come out and what feature our current hardware wont support(it might be gamebreaking, might not).

I can say today I play my games how I want them, but I cannot say that for the future. So if I was to judge for an upgrade today I would just save my money until I needed them.

In the end its up to you if you can justify to YOURSELF that an upgrade is worth it, its all subjective.

To the post, it is a good price put can you to yourself justify it if you dont need it?

//D-tail

That's why I was asking what would be a better use of my money, a 7950 so i can CF or a 780/ possibly Titan, It's not happening right now anyway, more sort of theoretical, but if I don't spend money on this now, chances are I won't  have it later this year/next year when the new AMD cards come out.

That's why I was asking what would be a better use of my money, a 7950 so i can CF or a 780/ possibly Titan, It's not happening right now anyway, more sort of theoretical, but if I don't spend money on this now, chances are I won't  have it later this year/next year when the new AMD cards come out.

Then I would suggest another 7970, CF:ing two diffrent card is asking for more problems than CF/SLI is already making(not gamebreaking problems, hiccups here and there). But if you have the spare money now how come you wont have it later? Because in my mind, if I have the money now I will have it later on also. And if I know I want an upgrade for future games I start saving for it and really try not touching that earmarked money, but thats maybe just me?

To match a 7970@1050mhz you need to overclock 7950 to around 1100mhz-1150mhz. Not worth it,  get another 7970 if you can.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Why not wait a few weeks and look at the 9000 series cards

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

Why don't you try the 1x3 gaming before you decide on what to do, and that card is already future ready no need for upgrades yet.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 | GPU: evga 670 sc+ 4gb | RAM: 2x4gb corsair xms3 | Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 gen3| PSU: 850w XFX | Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE | Case: CM HAF XM | SSD: Plextor M5S 128gb | HDD: 2x1tb seagate

Did I just read you want to crossfire a 7970 with a 7950?

You read that right.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

I've said it before, and imma say it again:

Wait for the 9970, it's right around the corner.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Hey, maybe you shouldn't listen to us and decide for yourself. You are just looking for confirmation. Grow a spine.

Hey, maybe you shouldn't listen to us and decide for yourself. You are just looking for confirmation. Grow a spine.

Hey it's never a bad thing to get a second opinion

wait for 9XXX series.

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Hey it's never a bad thing to get a second opinion

true that. But the answer lies within him.