[Mini Review] Chromecast 2 After 1 Week

GeekJump

Quick backstory: Had the first Chromecast dongle for over a year and loved it but a couple months ago I kept running into issues (videos randomly closing, queued videos not playing next, etc.) so I replaced it with a Roku 4 since it also supported Amazon Video. Had the Roku since November but  I ended up using it for mainly Hulu and Youtube @ 1080p and I didn't see the point of the +$100 price tag when I wasn't using all the features. So I went and bought the new Chromecast last week and here we are now!

Overview: The Chromecast 2 is a nice step up from its predecessor. It isn't a huge leap forward but it does improve on 2 major issues I had with the first one.

kagr9f.png
On the original Chromecast (CC) there was a slight delay with controls and sometimes it wouldn't recognize my commands (pause, rewind, play, etc.). The CC 2 has so far shown little to no delay.The second issue with the first CC was whenever I backed out of the app I was streaming from, the CC would lose connection with my device once the video was over resulting in me having to wait up to a minute for it to reconnect. But, also keep in mind that this might have been a issue with my phone. So far with the CC 2 I stay connected to the device (still using the same phone) and I can quickly hop back into the app to change the video or w/e whenever I feel like it.

The new feature to support 5 Ghz wifi networks is probably the biggest noticeable change so far. With the 1st CC it would sometimes start a video at lower resolution and eventually get to 1080p. On top of that, whenever I wanted to fast forward/rewind, I always had to wait while the video buffered. On my CC 2, videos have started at HD 99% of the time (the other 1% the video quickly jumped up to 1080 within seconds). Also, whenever I need to move around the video there is a significant reduction in buffering times. But most of this also depends on your wifi speeds overall.

The biggest dislike I have is the lack of controller. I did get use to it when I used the original Chromecast but, after playing with the Roku 4 for a while, I miss the stand alone remote. But for $35 you shouldn't expect one. Maybe Google will make a $50-60 CC similar to the Roku or Fire TV stick.

Another concern I have is the new design of the dongle. The original CC was shaped like a flash drive and the HDMI port was attached directly to the body.  The CC 2 is a circular dongle with a ~2 inch non-detachable HDMI cable coming out of it. I'm afraid this might cause strain with the dongle just hanging off the cable and putting weight on it. It's less than a pound and probably won't do much but still.

All in all, its a nice improvement but, after having my 1st CC progressively get worse, we will have to see how it stands the test of time.

2m3fyu0.jpg

Chromecasts-Compared.jpg

Pros:
  • $35 price tag still makes it the cheapest name brand option for streaming
  • Noticeably faster processor.
  • Supports 5 Ghz wifi
  • Smaller form factor (also a slight con - see below).
  • Supports all the major streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc.) with the exception of Amazon Prime (but that is partly Amazon's fault)

Cons:

• The puke shape and HDMI setup doesn't work for all TV types. Example, while mine is plugged in, it is facing down, bent the way it's not suppose to. I feel it would put some strain on the cable overtime with the device just dangling there. Much preferred the original design of the HDMI port attached to the dongle.
  • Still no remote and requires additional device to control it.
  • TBD

Initial score: 8.5/10

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

The one thing about it that really irks me is that if you want to cast something on hulu/netflix on your computer then you need to login to hulu plus/netflix on the chromecast -- which is annoying when you have to pay for hulu plus just to cast your tab to your tv, and when you potentially have Netflix logging you out of some other device due to being logged into too many places at once. 

But I can't really complain since I got mine for free (as it's basically built into my tv, yay sony).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The one thing about it that really irks me is that if you want to cast something on hulu/netflix on your computer then you need to login to hulu plus/netflix on the chromecast -- which is annoying when you have to pay for hulu plus just to cast your tab to your tv, and when you potentially have Netflix logging you out of some other device due to being logged into too many places at once. 

But I can't really complain since I got mine for free (as it's basically built into my tv, yay sony).

What do you mean you have to login on the chromecast? I just login on my computer or phone and click cast. Probably the most seamless login process I could ask for!

What do you mean you have to login on the chromecast? I just login on my computer or phone and click cast. Probably the most seamless login process I could ask for!

Whenever I try to watch something on Netflix it asks me to login to netflix on the chromecast, which often kicks me off of netflix elsewhere. And hulu is kind of hit or miss, sometimes it will cast but other times it wants me to login to a hulu plus account (which I don't have -- and no, I'm not trying to watch hulu plus only content). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You could do for the device is use a velcro dot to secure the device to the TV.

Great review + your thoughts on the device! 

That was one idea I had after seeing how the hdmi cable attaches to the dongle by magnets when not it use. But the way my TV ports are, there isn't a good place to attach it easily :/

Whenever I try to watch something on Netflix it asks me to login to netflix on the chromecast, which often kicks me off of netflix elsewhere. And hulu is kind of hit or miss, sometimes it will cast but other times it wants me to login to a hulu plus account (which I don't have -- and no, I'm not trying to watch hulu plus only content). 

That really isn't the Chromecast's fault, more the apps/site. It isn't just Hulu, a lot of sites that advertise and support streaming to other devices require you to use their paid service for that feature (even when they have free content to watch on their site). Already ran into that issue with Hulu, Crunchyroll, DramaFever, and some others. They all have huge libraries of free content but you can't stream unless you're a paid subscriber.

The multiple user thing is just their way to stop people from sharing accounts (I do that with Hulu Plus :3)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

That was one idea I had after seeing how the hdmi cable attaches to the dongle by magnets when not it use. But the way my TV ports are, there isn't a good place to attach it easily :/

That really isn't the Chromecast's fault, more the apps/site. It isn't just Hulu, a lot of sites that advertise and support streaming to other devices require you to use their paid service for that feature (even when they have free content to watch on their site). Already ran into that issue with Hulu, Crunchyroll, DramaFever, and some others. They all have huge libraries of free content but you can't stream unless you're a paid subscriber.

The multiple user thing is just their way to stop people from sharing accounts (I do that with Hulu Plus :3)

I understand why they limit the number of accounts, but it's annoying when I'm already logged in on my computer and forcing me to login on my tv too will log me out of my computer (or another device). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I understand why they limit the number of accounts, but it's annoying when I'm already logged in on my computer and forcing me to login on my tv too will log me out of my computer (or another device). 

Oh, missed that part of your posts. I haven't been forced to log in again after the initial set up/pairing. All my devices and a/cs are linked to my Chromecast and never require me to enter the password again.

I reread your 1st post, do you have a separate Chromecast or a Sony Android Smart TV? I know my brother constantly asks for our Amazon or Hulu password because his Sony TV forces him to log back in.

Oh, missed that part of your posts. I haven't been forced to log in again after the initial set up/pairing. All my devices and a/cs are linked to my Chromecast and never require me to enter the password again.

I reread your 1st post, do you have a separate Chromecast or a Sony Android Smart TV? I know my brother constantly asks for our Amazon or Hulu password because his Sony TV forces him to log back in.

Sony TV. 

Honestly it doesn't really make a difference to me since I rarely ever use Netflix anyway -- I basically just use it to watch their original series (house of cards and orange is the new black -- otherwise I find the selection very limited). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sony TV. 

Honestly it doesn't really make a difference to me since I rarely ever use Netflix anyway -- I basically just use it to watch their original series (house of cards and orange is the new black -- otherwise I find the selection very limited). 

Yeah, besides their original series, their content selection is crap IMO. I prefer Hulu Plus since they have the current series of most shows and I usually never fall more than a few episodes behind.

I have a 30 trail for Netflix (thanks to that Roku lol) and I'm going to use it just to binge watch Dare Devil, HoC, and Jessica Jones :3 Once I'm done I'm going to cancel before they charge me

You could use a velcro dot to secure the device to the TV.

Great review + your thoughts on the device! 

You could, but that's a band-aid fix. Ideally, Google should simply provide a detacheable cable on the Chromecast so that you can add a 6 footer to it and mount it however you like. But the real reason is what happens when the cable breaks due to strain of being bent lots of times?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You could, but that's a band-aid fix. Ideally, Google should simply provide a detacheable cable on the Chromecast so that you can add a 6 footer to it and mount it however you like. But the real reason is what happens when the cable breaks due to strain of being bent lots of times?

Hope it happens while in warranty? lol

That's a legit worry since my first one did wear down after a year and now my CC 2's cable is bent the other way and my logo is facing down (see 1st post for new pics) which I'm hoping Google took into account when developing this. The power cable is detachable and Google and 3rd parties offer shortened cables for that end. I guess Google is confident their HDMI cable will last.