Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dave :)

Mechanical Keyboard Club!

1 hour ago, b emoji said:

IMG_20200530_174256.thumb.jpg.4a15a3fb7723e17da461bdae5065d4a4.jpgJust got a TGR x SINGA Unikorn 60% built with Fully milky housing Gateron Giant switches lightly lubed with Tribosys 3204, stock 62g springs lubed with 105g0 and LSD mix.

What's the rest of it look like?

8 hours ago, geo3 said:

What about navless or simi-navless?  So something like this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96158.0

I could get behind that if I didn't think the layout looked atroticous. I like a full sized as it has everything that I'd need for what I like to do.

That layout is very similar to my laptop layout and I can't get down with it compared to my full sized Filco, especially how the 0 key on the numpad is a single key rather than double in length.

The biggest issue I have with custom keyboards, and this is entirely subjective, is the insane obsession with small form factors and "efficiency". Especially the latter, you lose barely any time moving a hand over to the numpad rather than learning how to access a second layer to achieve something that wouldn't be an issue otherwise. I find layers fixing an issue that wasn't needed to be fixed to begin with, akin to removing a headphone jack and deciding that bluetooth is the solution.

What you suggested before, being a separate numpad is something I'm interested into looking into, especially as it can be pushed out of the way when not in use to save space.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

16 hours ago, geo3 said:

What's the rest of it look like?

IMG_20200531_103438.thumb.jpg.1a8a999e8f4576e6a22e88e51af1aeab.jpgnot much, gmk sol dark (Will be replaced with CRP Blue Arabic Dye subs), brass full plate, 50a Gummysnake gasket, tsangan layout with full backspace. Cherry clip in stabs. 

5 hours ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

What you suggested before, being a separate numpad is something I'm interested into looking into, especially as it can be pushed out of the way when not in use to save space.

Something like this. This is just an example, there are a number of pads like this.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/20/products/kbdfans-kbdpad-pcb-v2 or this : https://kprepublic.com/collections/pcb/products/cospad-20-numpad-xd24-xiudi-custom-keyboard-pcb

5 hours ago, b emoji said:

IMG_20200531_103438.thumb.jpg.1a8a999e8f4576e6a22e88e51af1aeab.jpgnot much, gmk sol dark (Will be replaced with CRP Blue Arabic Dye subs), brass full plate, 50a Gummysnake gasket, tsangan layout with full backspace. Cherry clip in stabs. 

Nice. What's the hashbang key do?

On 5/31/2020 at 12:07 PM, SeriouslyMikey said:

The biggest issue I have with custom keyboards, and this is entirely subjective, is the insane obsession with small form factors and "efficiency". Especially the latter, you lose barely any time moving a hand over to the numpad rather than learning how to access a second layer to achieve something that wouldn't be an issue otherwise.

I largely agree with this.  Personally I use a TKL as I do not like having to move the extra distance between the actual letter keys and my mouse, plus it is much more convenient with the limited space on my desk.  But every time I have to do something banking or shopping related I find myself wanting a numpad.  I like the idea of having a numpad on the left hand side, but then I would need to learn how to use it with my left hand properly which would take time/be annoying.

On 5/31/2020 at 5:07 AM, SeriouslyMikey said:

The biggest issue I have with custom keyboards, and this is entirely subjective, is the insane obsession with small form factors and "efficiency".

Agreed. I hate the TKL boards. (I had one on my laptop, and could never get over the muscle memory for the numpad for almost everything number related)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I just got a full-size GMMK, their Aura keycaps, 40A thick o-rings, and Kailh Pro Purple switches. (I also got their Silvers, but decided to try the Purples first) So far regretting that I rarely type anything, because this is the best typing experience I've ever had. Never had a keyboard that came anywhere close to how fast and error-free I am on this, apart from a Lenovo G780 which had the Thinkpad style keyboard, but even that wasn't quite as good. (the switches themselves were a bit gritty feeling)

Currently using the "Matrix 2" color preset in red, brightest and fastest available. Looks very similar to cooling embers in a fire, except more red. Come to think of it, I should see if I can get it to look just like actual fire embers... That would be epic.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: GAMMAXX 400 with dual Arcic P12 PWM RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3600 16-16-16 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 3x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: Mushkin ECO2 512GB SSD, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

54 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Agreed. I hate the TKL boards. (I had one on my laptop, and could never get over the muscle memory for the numpad for almost everything number related)

96% boards solve all those issues while still being more compact ^^

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

16 hours ago, Nowak said:

96% boards solve all those issues while still being more compact ^^

True, but those seem even harder to find than full size.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: GAMMAXX 400 with dual Arcic P12 PWM RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3600 16-16-16 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 3x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: Mushkin ECO2 512GB SSD, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

27 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

True, but those seem even harder to find than full size.

Unfortunately.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

13 hours ago, geo3 said:

Not really.

That just links to r/mechanicalkeyboards for me...

5 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

That just links to r/mechanicalkeyboards for me...

Click on those blue links, not the whole post.

13 hours ago, nox_ said:

Click on those blue links, not the whole post.

It didn't show any except the main one that linked to reddit, was my uMatrix blocking the reddit embedding stuff.

Still, that's only 14 on the list, 12 with links, and only 6 of those links actually have obtainable keyboards linked to them.

9 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

and only 6 of those links actually have obtainable keyboards linked to them.

And out of these 6 none of them suits your needs?

On 6/7/2020 at 2:17 AM, nox_ said:

And out of these 6 none of them suits your needs?

Not really. Only one comes close, the YMDK, and it's still both more expensive and less feature rich than the GMMK. All the others are WAY more expensive, and less features as well.

7 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Not really. Only one comes close, the YMDK, and it's still both more expensive and less feature rich than the GMMK. All the others are WAY more expensive, and less features as well.

ymdk comes in about a gabillion different configs, including some premium alu case ones

gmmk fullsize isn't terrible, since having all those keys removes it's biggest problem, which is you can't reprogram the layers at all

The main advantage of getting a nice YMD96 kit is you'd be able to use pcb mount stabs, you won't have to deal with north facing switches, and you'll be able to use QMK. 

At this point, I'm pretty much uninterested in any board without QMK given how powerful and useful it is

10 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

I'm just curious how you are defining feature rich in this context?  Because to me the opposite is true.

3 hours ago, alittlepeace said:

gmmk fullsize isn't terrible, since having all those keys removes it's biggest problem, which is you can't reprogram the layers at all

The main advantage of getting a nice YMD96 kit is you'd be able to use pcb mount stabs, you won't have to deal with north facing switches, and you'll be able to use QMK. 

At this point, I'm pretty much uninterested in any board without QMK given how powerful and useful it is

100% agree. QMK is a must for me at this point. 

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

I'm just curious how you are defining feature rich in this context?  Because to me the opposite is true.

Right now, individual key lighting that I don't have to install myself.

GMMK TKL Keeb:

(Kailh BOX Black Switches, Blank PBT Keycaps)

GMMK_-_Kailh_BOX_Blacks_1.thumb.jpg.60fbdac89ccb64c2fbc86e524a474da8.jpg

GMMK_-_Kailh_BOX_Blacks_2.thumb.jpg.acb8db152164d7f6aa3dd53caeb62875.jpg

1007617154_GMMK-Assembled.thumb.jpg.39a0ca29d2a60842e87e770c5dfb3553.jpg

900383476_GMMK-RGB.thumb.jpg.7b175d110e31fca1b5b999022d65d356.jpg

GMMK_-_RGB_Switches_1.gif.7268527602d3bbad73450fc948236f47.gif

/join "Mechanical Keyboard Club"

正直に生きる

一度きりの人生だから