Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
5 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

That just links to r/mechanicalkeyboards for me...

Click on those blue links, not the whole post.

13 hours ago, nox_ said:

Click on those blue links, not the whole post.

It didn't show any except the main one that linked to reddit, was my uMatrix blocking the reddit embedding stuff.

Still, that's only 14 on the list, 12 with links, and only 6 of those links actually have obtainable keyboards linked to them.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

9 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

and only 6 of those links actually have obtainable keyboards linked to them.

And out of these 6 none of them suits your needs?

On 6/7/2020 at 2:17 AM, nox_ said:

And out of these 6 none of them suits your needs?

Not really. Only one comes close, the YMDK, and it's still both more expensive and less feature rich than the GMMK. All the others are WAY more expensive, and less features as well.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

7 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Not really. Only one comes close, the YMDK, and it's still both more expensive and less feature rich than the GMMK. All the others are WAY more expensive, and less features as well.

ymdk comes in about a gabillion different configs, including some premium alu case ones

gmmk fullsize isn't terrible, since having all those keys removes it's biggest problem, which is you can't reprogram the layers at all

The main advantage of getting a nice YMD96 kit is you'd be able to use pcb mount stabs, you won't have to deal with north facing switches, and you'll be able to use QMK. 

At this point, I'm pretty much uninterested in any board without QMK given how powerful and useful it is

10 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

I'm just curious how you are defining feature rich in this context?  Because to me the opposite is true.

3 hours ago, alittlepeace said:

gmmk fullsize isn't terrible, since having all those keys removes it's biggest problem, which is you can't reprogram the layers at all

The main advantage of getting a nice YMD96 kit is you'd be able to use pcb mount stabs, you won't have to deal with north facing switches, and you'll be able to use QMK. 

At this point, I'm pretty much uninterested in any board without QMK given how powerful and useful it is

100% agree. QMK is a must for me at this point. 

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

I'm just curious how you are defining feature rich in this context?  Because to me the opposite is true.

Right now, individual key lighting that I don't have to install myself.

GMMK TKL Keeb:

(Kailh BOX Black Switches, Blank PBT Keycaps)

GMMK_-_Kailh_BOX_Blacks_1.thumb.jpg.60fbdac89ccb64c2fbc86e524a474da8.jpg

GMMK_-_Kailh_BOX_Blacks_2.thumb.jpg.acb8db152164d7f6aa3dd53caeb62875.jpg

1007617154_GMMK-Assembled.thumb.jpg.39a0ca29d2a60842e87e770c5dfb3553.jpg

900383476_GMMK-RGB.thumb.jpg.7b175d110e31fca1b5b999022d65d356.jpg

GMMK_-_RGB_Switches_1.gif.7268527602d3bbad73450fc948236f47.gif

/join "Mechanical Keyboard Club"

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Surprised I never noticed this thread.

Current daily driver is a Varmilo VA87M with aftermarket grey aluminum case, Galaxy Class DSA PBT blanks on Cherry MX Greys.

I've sold off most of the other keyboards I've had, but I still have an original Das Keyboard with MX Blues somewhere in storage, and a white Keycool TKL with Cherry MX Clears.

IMG_20200611_205405.jpg

1 hour ago, divito said:

Surprised I never noticed this thread.

Current daily driver is a Varmilo VA87M with aftermarket grey aluminum case, Galaxy Class DSA PBT blanks on Cherry MX Greys.

I've sold off most of the other keyboards I've had, but I still have an original Das Keyboard with MX Blues somewhere in storage, and a white Keycool TKL with Cherry MX Clears.

IMG_20200611_205405.jpg

How is the varmilo build quality ?  I was thinking about getting one custom before buying the gmmk ...  I didn't cause I still don't know which switches I would like best and for the price you don't want to buy it and not like the switches. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

So an update on my keyboard ... I got some blank dsa keycaps from amazon and I'm getting used to them.   One issue I had when installing them is that they are some thigh cap to fit on the cross stem.  I had a hard time to fit the spacebar properly and in the beginning it wouldn't come up by itself at all.  I checked and found out that it was crooked a bit so I removed it and placed it evenly and now it's working fine. 

I'm not used to blank caps and I appear to be looking for my numbers and special characters a lot ... also I'm getting used to the profile, I've only used oem profile on any recent keyboard I had.  So far I like them very much, they feels great and I found out that they altered the sound of the switches ... don't know how to describe it tho ...

Here is a comparison with my old oem profile keycaps.  I like the color scheme of my old set more but that flat dsa profile is really nice to type on.  I'm going to try to find another set with that profile.   Note that there's no dot on the F and J for finger positioning.  I'm thinking about a way to make something so I can feel them at some point.  

20200610_114313.jpg

20200610_114334.jpg

20200610_114615.jpg

20200610_114930.jpg

20200610_130523.jpg

20200610_130543.jpg

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

17 hours ago, Dr0y said:

How is the varmilo build quality ?  I was thinking about getting one custom before buying the gmmk ...  I didn't cause I still don't know which switches I would like best and for the price you don't want to buy it and not like the switches. 

I have no complaints really. The plastic case was underwhelming compared to other keyboards I've had, but I swapped it for an aluminum one when I could.

I only originally got it through Massdrop because they're one of the only companies that offered MX Grey switches, but it's been solid. 

12 hours ago, divito said:

I only originally got it through Massdrop because they're one of the only companies that offered MX Grey switches, but it's been solid. 

Hadn't seen MX Grey's before you mentioned them.  Had planned on try MX Browns as my first Tactile switch, but seeing one with a higher actuation force I think I will be keeping an eye out for these.

6 hours ago, Koeshi said:

Hadn't seen MX Grey's before you mentioned them.  Had planned on try MX Browns as my first Tactile switch, but seeing one with a higher actuation force I think I will be keeping an eye out for these.

They're uncommon, so not surprised you haven't really seen them. MK has maybe 1 or 2 keyboards that offer them and there only a couple places that sell switches that offer them. Really kind of sad, because they're probably my favorite switch. 

On a separate note, for those that have been keeping up with all the clones and their varieties, are there any switches over 100cN? 

10 minutes ago, divito said:

On a separate note, for those that have been keeping up with all the clones and their varieties, are there any switches over 100cN? 

Well I don't know every kind of switches but during my research I've never come across one higher than 80 or 85 and I don't remember which one it was ...

I'm typing on 65 ones and I find them a bit too heavy for me ... I can't imagine how heavier must feel ... damn

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

21 minutes ago, divito said:

9 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Well I don't know every kind of switches but during my research I've never come across one higher than 80 or 85 and I don't remember which one it was ...

I'm typing on 65 ones and I find them a bit too heavy for me ... I can't imagine how heavier must feel ... damn

Kailh BOX Ancient Greys? Linear switches, 95g (±10g) actuation force.

(On my wishlist, ugh. Do want. 😆)

Smexy pics courtesy of @Den-Fi:

Spoiler
On 10/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, Den-Fi said:

0G1A8781-Edit.thumb.jpg.e3988f6149264216ffb719e4eea6463e.jpg

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

12 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Well, there was a Cherry Super Black that was >150cN, but it was discontinued several years ago, on top of being linear which I can't stand. There's a 'Kailh BOX Ancient Gray' on MK that is 100cN, but linear, so again, bleh.

But, back when I was fully into mechs, Kailh and Gateron were pretty much the only clones but their reps weren't like today. Now there's a ridiculous amount and I have not kept up since finding my original keyboards and being satisfied. So not sure if there is anything new that would be worth looking at.

Current macropad I'm building. It uses gateron browns.

IMG_5252.jpeg

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

126390862_DarkRGB1.gif.e0d251edb7d38a7555fe4de317fa778b.gif

She's beauty,

She's grace,

She's gonna spew her RGB,

All up in your face.

1888357857_DarkRGB2.gif.3aa0ead7395eca18ad48747b2ca96d34.gif

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから