Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
1 hour ago, smug_lisp_weenie said:

I was thinking that these would make it easier to solder and keep everything organized.

https://keeb.io/products/amoeba-single-switch-pcbs?variant=12960782024798

Oh, very cool. I may try to build a dactyl now. l've been wanting to for a while but it always seemed like a lot of work.  Are they fixed to the case or just held on by the switch itself?

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Oh, very cool. I may try to build a dactyl now. l've been wanting to for a while but it always seemed like a lot of work.  Are they fixed to the case or just held on by the switch itself?

I would probably fix them to the case itself, that way it would be possible to hotswap switches.  

I've ordered that and waiting for it to arrive.  Hope I will like it.  I will try my yellow switche in it when they arrive. 

https://www.newegg.ca/black-glorious-gmmk-tkl-bare-bones-no-switches-included/p/N82E16823634004?Description=gmmk&cm_re=gmmk-_-23-634-004-_-Product

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Sorry for wrong posting place on my behalf. Gonna open a thread.

Hi, I just ordered a mechanical keyboard for the first time, I'm considering it a starter, lol. It's a Rantopad with Gateron Blue switches...   I guess I'll see if I like it when it comes it...

My first interaction with a mechanical keyboard (outside of using them when I was younger and that was all there was) was a year ago when a coworker brought in one of his ‘old gaming keyboards’ to replace his at work. The first time I used it, I was in love. He quit not long after and took it with him. I tracked him down online recently and figured out switches it had (MX Brown)

Now, a year later, I am waiting for my first mechanical to come in today. I ordered a Durgod Taurus K320 with MX Brown switches. I am already looking into a second board.  The idea of a 60 or 65% is appealing. I want to get a demo set of switches to find what I may like more. I am leaning towards a Gloriois GMMK at the moment. 

I feel like I have slipped down a very dangerous rabbit hole. 

Hi,

i was wandering if anyone knows if there is a hot swapable PCB for 65% or 60% layout for optical gatheron switches. I wold really want a layout with dedicated arrow keys, but it seemes that the boards this kind are quite rare. I saw iKG62 board, whitch is a great sollution, but i can't find it anywere. I'm very new to this topic and Iwould aprechiate the help.

Great Idea, i just got my first mechanical keyboard today. Ngl the amount of sound that the blues make scares me...

RN im using a armaggeddon mka-5r RGB FALCON, it was $50 aud ($32 usd for all you americans) and its pretty good 

On 5/8/2020 at 7:18 AM, Yodhan said:

I am leaning towards a Gloriois GMMK at the moment. 

I have it here in tkl format ... I'm just waiting for my switches to arrives. I can't wait to try it. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

On 5/14/2020 at 6:05 AM, Dr0y said:

I have it here in tkl format ... I'm just waiting for my switches to arrives. I can't wait to try it. 

Let us know how you like it. 

7 hours ago, Yodhan said:

Ok so I just did that tonight ... I was tired of waiting for my kailh speed copper to arrive and I went and underssed my redragon k552 to put the switches in the gmmk barebones.   So I'm now using it with the outemu blue and YMDK double shot pbt keycaps with o-rings.  

So first impression.  The case is full aluminum top with plastic base.  It's kinda slim but quite sturdy.  There's a keycap puller included in the base of the keyboard and a keyswitch puller is included in the box as well as 2 keycaps (one orange escape key and one meant to replace some from the bottom row with the glorious logo), some stickers, cable, a 90 deg adapter for the cable and some replacement anti-slip feet. 

So installing the switches was really easy and you just have to be careful to place them the right way so you don't bend a pin.  After that well install the keycaps and enjoy.  You don't have to install any software for basic use of the keyboard.  There's rgb lightning with 8 fixed color and rainbow mode with quite a nice amount of mode and lighting effect and 5 light steps from off to full.  The cable is a bit stiff but it doesn't bother me that much. 

Typing on it feels really nice and the board doesn't move while typing.  Even tho those blue outemu are quite annoyingly loud I think they sounds a bit quieter in the gmmk than they were in their original home, the redragon k552, while using the same keycaps and o-rings I'm using now.  

I can't wait to receive my kailh speed copper and try them out.  I also ordered some dsa profile keycaps cause I feel the oem profile is just a bit too high for my taste. 

Well that's bout it for my first impressions.  In short if feels quite solid and I like to type on it.  It's the best feeling I had while typing with mechanical keyboard.  I still think that my old membrane keyboard is easier to type on probably cause of the lower weight of the keys and lower height of the keycaps. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

8 hours ago, Yodhan said:

I can second @Dr0y's statements for an impressed first look at the GMMK's materials and accessories (note: my switches haven't arrived yet, so I can't make any comments about typing experience... yet!).

Included with the GMMK are: a hot-swappable PCB, a sleek black aluminum faceplate bordered with chrome, 2 ABS keycaps, pre-installed stabilizers, a braided USB 2.0 cord (non-detachable for full size, detachable for TKL and compact), a 90° adapter, four extra rubber feet, one keycap puller, and one switch puller -- all included for $59.99, mind you (barebones, no switches or keycaps). Note that only plate-mounted switches will fit in the PCB, but you can convert PCB-mounted switches to plate-mounted ones by snipping off their plastic leg things.

GMMK Assembly (Timestamp: 6:00 - 22:25):

The video above showcases the main appeal of the GMMK -- the entire assembly process is tool-less.

If you'd like a more critical look at the GMMK, however:

The title is uninformative and clickbait-y, but the video raises a few good points (IMO), and you're getting the opinion of someone that's used the keyboard for a couple of months.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

11 hours ago, Eschew said:

all included for $59.99,

Here in canada it's 129$ on newegg plus 15% taxes cause I'm in Québec.

So my comments about the second video ... those seems like really big issues for him but might not be that important for a lot of people.   Still those are some thought to consider.  So in response to that video which I find quite interesting.  

Well my stabs are just fine and it can be lubed and also they are way better than those on the redragon k552.

There's plenty of plate mounted switches and I'm pretty sure most people will find something adequate without having to snap the 2 pins of those pcb mounted.  If it happens that the perfect switches one person want is pcb mounted I'm pretty sure that person won't mind to do the work and cut those extra two pins.  Also the resale value is down for people that want to use them on pcb mounted board but it's still good for people that have a plate mounted keyboard and want to try them without having to do the cutting themselves.  But I agree that it would probably not be that hard to make the gmmk compatible with both type of switches. 

I don't use the lighting on the keyboard so ...

The keycap puller is indeed not that good ... I'm waiting on a wire style puller from amazon.

I have the tkl version so I don't have the issue about the fn arrow and it was indeed the reason I went with the tkl version.  If I did want to have a nice arrow key implementation on a 60% I would have bought the anne pro 2 and forgot about the swapable switches. 

The usb port is indeed disappointing not being usb c ... and the cable is stiff and I feel like any false move might damage the micro usb connector in the keyboard.  I wish that the connector in the keyboard would be recessed in the board, something like what they did for the durgod taurus k320.  

All in all I quite like it and I'm really eager to try the kailh I ordered.  I just hope I will like them. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

My lily58 build is done until MDA "PLASTIC" ships

IMG_20200522_185759.thumb.jpg.f3fa8c67e745e367f70c06787b330c93.jpg

Spoiler

In other news, my JJ40 build will go capless until then.

2020-05-22_19_00_25.thumb.jpg.3d80bf07957d5ce6072c1d1a4f346897.jpg

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

I know the feeling of waiting for something.  I got that gmmk like 2 or 3 weeks ago and didn't realize there was a switch puller included and I was waiting for one to arrive before trying to strip the switches from my old keyboard just to type on the new one ... It happened that there was one included with the gmmk ... now I feel dumb ... I did the stripping and I'm now waiting for some gateron yellow and kailh speed copper to arrive.  always waiting ...

keep us posted on those switches.  I don't like clicky switches that much but i'm curious to read how they perform. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

My GMMK Compact should be here for on Friday. Snatched one up when they had their one day sale. I got it with Gateron Browns because they are the switch I have liked the most out of the ones I have tried. I would love to try some Zealios 65g, but haven’t gotten any yet. I also ordered a KBD67mkii and case from KBDFans, but I know that isn’t coming for a while. 

1 hour ago, Yodhan said:

My GMMK Compact should be here for on Friday. Snatched one up when they had their one day sale. I got it with Gateron Browns because they are the switch I have liked the most out of the ones I have tried. I would love to try some Zealios 65g, but haven’t gotten any yet. I also ordered a KBD67mkii and case from KBDFans, but I know that isn’t coming for a while. 

Well at least you will have some fun with that gmmk.  Honestly for now, even with the outemu blue from my redragon, I really like it ... I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Added some new caps (the red ones).

Also changed the PCB out for an Anne Pro 2, so now she's completely wireless!

I did solder in my Kailh box blacks tough. I know this is probably a keyboard sin but I really don't like clicky switches. :/

15906827370206771101172006240012.thumb.jpg.db3021387f1f690c2dc5bf12c4498ca2.jpg

15906827554063841905733239920457.thumb.jpg.de549eecdeb2f0fb1853074a89b5582c.jpg

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Added some new caps (the red ones).

Also changed the PCB out for an Anne Pro 2, so now she's completely wireless!

I did solder in my Kailh box blacks tough. I know this is probably a keyboard sin but I really don't like clicky switches. :/

15906827370206771101172006240012.thumb.jpg.db3021387f1f690c2dc5bf12c4498ca2.jpg

15906827554063841905733239920457.thumb.jpg.de549eecdeb2f0fb1853074a89b5582c.jpg

What cap set is that? The grey ones.