Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dave :)

Mechanical Keyboard Club!

9 hours ago, sowon said:

The Verge covered Taeha Types and his rise into the mechanical keyboard scene! Awesome bit of exposure for Nathan.

But.. everyone knows their infamous guide.
Bad rep amongst enthusiasts.

TVS EGold Keyboard, one the cheapest mech keyboard available in the market when i bought it back in dec 2014 😎

Image may contain: screen

Linus also reviewed it a little while back

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

I have an 11 year old son who wants to get into mechanical keyboards.  He knows how to solder.  Wants to do a diy project, but I don't want to spend over 100 USD on him. Really likes math, I was thinking maybe a numpad?  Please let me know of what to do for him, any projects that he could do,

1 hour ago, Robert_Stanford said:

I have an 11 year old son who wants to get into mechanical keyboards.  He knows how to solder.  Wants to do a diy project, but I don't want to spend over 100 USD on him. Really likes math, I was thinking maybe a numpad?  Please let me know of what to do for him, any projects that he could do,

KPRepublic has a numpad, the Cospad/XD24. $21 PCB, $9 plate, and $23 case. A set of 4x 2U Everglide stabilisers are $11. You should get ~30x switches, from Novelkeys or KBDFans. Gaterons are $2,00 per 10x.

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

1 hour ago, Robert_Stanford said:

Here's everything you need to build a fully functional 60% keyboard for $87

https://kbdfans.com/collections/keycaps/products/backlit-mechanical-keyboard-translucent-keycap

https://kbdfans.com/collections/gateron-swithes/products/switch-68-cherry-gateron-zealio - (pick some Gateron variant )

https://kbdfans.com/collections/60-layout-case/products/60-plastic-case

https://kbdfans.com/collections/60/products/dz60-60-pcb?variant=28607000707120 (note this variant includes stabs which you will need so don't change the options. unless you have a USB mini (not micro, they're different) cable you can save 5$ by switching that option instead of usb-c)

A plate is usually recommended but with this one included the price goes to $105

https://kbdfans.com/collections/plate/products/dz60-cnc-aluminum-plate

You maybe able to save some more by making or reusing some of the parts. A case can be 3d printed or carved from wood or made from sandwiched acrylic sheets. Key caps can be reused from an existing mechanical if you have one. 

IMO if he wants to get into mech keebs he would enjoy something like this a lot more than just a num pad. 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, Robert_Stanford said:

could just start him off with a cheapo macropad kit

I'm hoping you guys can help me in my search for my first mech. I'm basically looking for the following:
- Budget of around 120, but can bump it up a bit more

- Some sort of quiet switch. Something like the cherry silent red/black seems ideal

- ISO layout, preferably with azerty-BE keycaps

- PBT keycaps

- 65% or bigger

So far I've only found Ducky keyboards locally here in Belgium, but apparently their belgian azerty keycaps are made of some thin ABS that rub off quite fast. My reason for wanting silent switches is because I mostly want a mech to have quality, durable keyboard that I can take apart to clean. My current keyboard has scissor switches like those of a T420, but they were clearly not made to be removed so I can clean under them. In fact, me doing so has led to several keys becoming very inconsistent. 

Currently my best bet seems to be a custom keyboard directly from Varmilo, which would come to about 125 euro for a basic 65% plus 20 euro shipping cost. 145 euro is still acceptable for me, but I'm worried that I'll have to pay some major import tax/fees that will push it straight into "I paid too much for this". 

I don't mind soldering and DIY, if that helps. Any tips or reccomendations are appreciated. 

Is the Corsair K70 MK.2 a good keyboard? 

I have a Corsair Strafe for 6 years and it developed a severe key chatter.

7 minutes ago, zot3 said:

Is the Corsair K70 MK.2 a good keyboard? 

I have a Corsair Strafe for 6 years and it developed a severe key chatter.

No. Corsair is notorious for cheap build quality relative to their price, chattering, overexposure, a mediocre at best typing experience, awful, bloated software, non-standard bottom row (which makes keycap replacement hard) and how difficult it is to take them apart.

May I suggest the Hexgears Supernova instead? It also doesn't have a standard bottom row but it's built better than the K70 while costing much less.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

41 minutes ago, Nowak said:

No. Corsair is notorious for cheap build quality relative to their price, chattering, overexposure, a mediocre at best typing experience, awful, bloated software, non-standard bottom row (which makes keycap replacement hard) and how difficult it is to take them apart.

May I suggest the Hexgears Supernova instead? It also doesn't have a standard bottom row but it's built better than the K70 while costing much less.

Forgot to mention, I'm from Portugal and I need the portuguese layout. I can't find that keyboard in any stores here.

What about the Ducky One 2 Skyline MX Brown?

I don't care about RGB, if its all black that's good for me.

2 minutes ago, zot3 said:

Forgot to mention, I'm from Portugal and I need the portuguese layout. I can't find that keyboard in any stores here.

What about the Ducky One 2 Skyline MX Brown?

I don't care about RGB, if its all black that's good for me.

Ah, alright. I guess? I'm not really big on Cherry MX but just about anything's better than Corsair lmao

Be proud of who you are.

Hey guys, I got an MK730 from Cooler Master yesterday and I really like it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the color of the keycaps. Are there any colors/sets I should be looking at to better suit the color of my desk? https://i.imgur.com/17kaz2e.jpg

I'm also thinking about getting about a desk mat but I'm not sure what color would look best for that either.

2 hours ago, CptHenry said:

Hey guys, I got an MK730 from Cooler Master yesterday and I really like it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the color of the keycaps. Are there any colors/sets I should be looking at to better suit the color of my desk? https://i.imgur.com/17kaz2e.jpg

I'm also thinking about getting about a desk mat but I'm not sure what color would look best for that either.

Any of these look interesting.

a967e2e4a1c4c4e38fbade831ca2b868.jpg

Standard_800x.png

U4zYC42.jpg

yS0PQln.png

regular_base_1024x1024@2x.png

Kit-Base.jpg

ZZ9009.jpg

f5yKcTP.png

Sail_1280x.png

bngogudxv5331.jpg

W0tcZRM.jpg

_231163644_bVG1pCqB9bzk0AwrKCB544RwhX5xI

14 hours ago, CptHenry said:

The 1st, 4th, and 11th ones look nice.

The first set is Honeywell

OEM Profile https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5468

DSA Profile https://www.originativeco.com/products/dsa-honeywell

SA Profile https://www.originativeco.com/products/sa-honeywell

The 4th is Carbon These are kind of hard to find, and there are lot's of lower quality knock offs of it

This one looks okayish: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32885456657.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1d0c25ddscpsDO&algo_pvid=682edd67-3f93-4e2f-9b7c-20cbfc40110e&algo_expid=682edd67-3f93-4e2f-9b7c-20cbfc40110e-29&btsid=0ab6d67915871562924387598e0449&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Or you could try to buy a set of r/mechmarkey.

11th is SA Ice/Snow caps.  Ice is uniform SA profile, Snow is sculpted SA profile.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-ice-cap-keyset/

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-p-snow-cap-keyset-original/

Although I'm not sure if you meant 11 or 12 so 12th is MT3 Profile (Similar to sculpted SA) dev/tty caps

https://www.amazon.com/Drop-Matt3o-Keycap-Tenkeyless-Keyboards/dp/B081DFDXMV

On 4/12/2020 at 3:00 AM, geo3 said:

This is a relatively affordable 75% option, but still a bit above your budget.

Thanks for the recommendations. After some thinking, I think I'd like to go with the 100% GMMK hotswap board. I can get it locally for 70 euro, which is about the same that 75% board you linked would cost. I figured I should probably just keep the numpad with the amount of excel and sql I do on a weekly basis. I've read good reviews on the GMMK, so I'm assuming it's a decent board without any glaring flaws? 

I'm having a hell of a time finding a keycap set in Belgian Azerty though. I'm starting to think they just don't exist at all. I'm at a point where I think I'd either get all blank keycaps, or maybe UK-ISO. I had hoped that UK-ISO would also have fancy/pretty keycap sets to maybe upgrade to at a later date. But I get the impression that all the cool keycap sets are in US-ANSI only. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places though. 

Those gateron silents you linked look like they'd be a good fit for me. A bit of a shame about the 25 dollar shipping cost on kbdfans but what can you do. I was looking around a bit, and apparently outemu makes some good silent stems/switches in their silent forest switch. I've also read being quiet is the only thing they excel at, everything else being lesser compared to gateron/cherry. 
I did come across this particular listing, which lists "outemu silent white" and "outemu silent greys". I've only found two reddit posts about them, apparently the whites are linear silents and the greys are tactile silents. They're pretty cheap, but I guess they're completely new because I can't find any word on them. I don't suppose any of you have thoughts about them? Or should I just stay away from outemu switches? They don't seem to get recommended a lot. 

What switches are generally more reliable? Razer Green or Cherry MX Blues, trying to decide between a K70 MK.2 or a Blackwidow Elite. Also which ones are clickier

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang | Fold to save the world!

iPhone 6s | 32GB | iOS 13

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz RAM | 256GB SSD & 3TB HDD | Windows 10 Home

Laptop: HP 14-an060sa | E2-7110 | Radeon R2 APU | 4GB RAM | 256GB SSD | Windows 10 Home

Phones:

Main: iPhone 6s 32gb Space Grey (upgrading to iPhone XR)

Collection:

Original Boxed A grade iPhone 5 32gb Black (iOS 6)

Unboxed C grade iPhone 5c 16gb Green

Unboxed B grade iPhone 5 16gb Black (iOS 8.4.1)

Unboxed A grade iPhone 4s 8gb White (iOS 6.1.3)

Original Boxed B grade iPhone SE 32gb Rose Gold (iOS 12..4.1)

Non Orignal Boxed B grade iPhone 5s 16gb Silver (iOS 11.3.4)

Original Boxed A grade Samsung Galaxy S7

17 minutes ago, Guiltyx said:

What switches are generally more reliable? Razer Green or Cherry MX Blues, trying to decide between a K70 MK.2 or a Blackwidow Elite. Also which ones are clickier

Both switches are reliable. However neither board is all that great, or reliable. 

CPU | Ryzen 7 2700X MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B450-F (not my proudest buy but it was on sale at the time) RAM3200mhz Trident Z 16GB GPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 CaseLian Li 011 Air Storage500GB NVME for boot, 1TB storage, x3 3TB in raid 5 for long term storage PSUThermaltake Toughpower Grand Display(s)240hz 1080p Asus display, 4k cheap display from korea Cooling | Enermax LIQFusion 240mm Keyboard(s) | White fox w/ NK Creams( lubed with 205g0) and DSA Nerd Keycaps
, Tofu (e-white) w/ Hako Royal Purples (lubed with 104g0) and GMK Olivia, TGR Alice w/ Nixies (lubed with 205g0), Switch Coulture Alice w/ C3 Tangerines (lubed with 205g0) waiting for DSA Magic Girl, HHKB Pro 2, Leopold FC660C MiceGlorious Model O, Zowie Divina EC1-B, Logitech MX Master

1 hour ago, Guiltyx said:

Both switches are reliable but neither of those boards are great. Also, if you're looking for a nice, sharp click, I'd suggest looking for boards with Kailh Box Whites.

They're pretty common in Hexgears boards!

Be proud of who you are.