Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

i´m getting hurt by being danish and running the nordic layout, but i do have a Ducky 3, Ducky 6 and a cheaper mechanical 10 keyless, both the ducky 3 and 10 keyless are running KBDFans switches.. 

trying to see if a change of layout works, i do love the keyboard, but i am missing the F row i must admit.

but i do like the KBD fans custom board.

keyboard.jpg

7 hours ago, Nowak said:

That's more than what I paid for my Ctrl... by about $20, for reference. And that was a new Ctrl outta the box!

They are $250 for the new version on drop right now, the ALT is almost $200. Just tossing it out there. 

5 minutes ago, CrackinX said:

They are $250 for the new version on drop right now, the ALT is almost $200. Just tossing it out there. 

Aren't they sold out? Alt is 180, free shipping in the US, how are you coming up with these numbers? Not being a smart ass, just asking.

8 minutes ago, CrackinX said:

No. The ones currently on Drop are the high profile variants, which are more expensive than the low profile variant.

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Aren't they sold out? Alt is 180, free shipping in the US, how are you coming up with these numbers? Not being a smart ass, just asking.

^^

:)

Ok, so what I'm getting from the replies is that it's not a good deal and don't buy it. 

However I will say that Amazon's used listing from their warehouse are very safe bets. Most times on a very good or higher I end up with new in the box or its been opened and everything inside is still factory wrapped. So I would count them as new. 

But if those are not a great deal I'm open to suggestions on a lower priced metal cased, Backlit, modular keyboard. 

15 minutes ago, CrackinX said:

Ok, so what I'm getting from the replies is that it's not a good deal and don't buy it. 

However I will say that Amazon's used listing from their warehouse are very safe bets. Most times on a very good or higher I end up with new in the box or its been opened and everything inside is still factory wrapped. So I would count them as new. 

But if those are not a great deal I'm open to suggestions on a lower priced metal cased, Backlit, modular keyboard. 

Check the Gemini Dusk and Dawn. Pretty much the same as the low profile Ctrl.

https://kono.store/pages/weekly-update

You should also be able to get a custom 60% for that price, e.g. from KPrepublic or KBDfans.

Edit: If you can wait longer, the Caps Unlocked CU65 and CU80 will have extras, which could get in March/April (sign up for their newsletter if you're interested

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

23 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Check the Gemini Dusk and Dawn. Pretty much the same as the low profile Ctrl.

https://kono.store/pages/weekly-update

You should also be able to get a custom 60% for that price, e.g. from KPrepublic or KBDfans.

Edit: If you can wait longer, the Caps Unlocked CU65 and CU80 will have extras, which could get in March/April (sign up for their newsletter if you're interested

Awsome, thanks so much. Just ordered a dusk, looks to be about the same wait as amazon and saved me $50!

Hi ,

how are these switches ? Gateron Brown and Kailh Speed Copper .

I have to choose one of these , But kailh speed copper is $10 more expensive .

i like tactile switches sound btw , so i chose brown

Which one do you recommend? why?

playing games / fortnite / typing ...

thanks

12 minutes ago, timesquare said:

Which one do you recommend? why?

preference 

1 minute ago, b emoji said:

preference 

which one is more like cherry mx brown switches ?

3 minutes ago, timesquare said:

which one is more like cherry mx brown switches ?

Gateron 

39 minutes ago, b emoji said:

Gateron 

thanks ,

May I ask why kailh speed copper is more expensive?

On 2/29/2020 at 4:06 AM, timesquare said:

thanks ,

May I ask why kailh speed copper is more expensive?

The difference in price is simply because they are made by different companies and the different companies price them how they want to.  Price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Hey, during the release of the Kailh Box switches I did not pay a lot of attention to them.
Now I am working on a mechanical keyboard project and I picked up a pack of Kailh Box Jade switches. Because I did not pay a lot of attention to them, I did not catch the whole 'stems too wide, can break keycaps' thing.

Apparently there was a version 2 of the keyswitches, which solves this issue.

How could I make sure my keyswitches are V2? What specific part should I measure? 

Also, assuming i have V1 switches, would keycaps break right away? I have a couple throwaway ABS caps which I could try out.

Would this issue also be the case with higher quality keycap sets (PBT plastic for example)?

Appreciate any feedback! 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Hey, during the release of the Kailh Box switches I did not pay a lot of attention to them.
Now I am working on a mechanical keyboard project and I picked up a pack of Kailh Box Jade switches. Because I did not pay a lot of attention to them, I did not catch the whole 'stems too wide, can break keycaps' thing.

Apparently there was a version 2 of the keyswitches, which solves this issue.

How could I make sure my keyswitches are V2? What specific part should I measure? 

Also, assuming i have V1 switches, would keycaps break right away? I have a couple throwaway ABS caps which I could try out.

Would this issue also be the case with higher quality keycap sets (PBT plastic for example)?

Appreciate any feedback! 

If you bought from Novelkeys, they're guaranteed to be retooled and will fall within Cherry's tolerances. Mike does not sell pre-retooled Box switches anymore.

21 minutes ago, Nowak said:

If you bought from Novelkeys, they're guaranteed to be retooled and will fall within Cherry's tolerances. Mike does not sell pre-retooled Box switches anymore.

These switches I purchased from KBDFans' (official) Aliexpress store, where they do mention "NOVELKEYS X KAILH" and also "NEW VERSION 2018.08.21".

Do you reckon I got the V2 switches?

I purchased them in the beginning of January and received them halfway through February.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

These switches I purchased from KBDFans' (official) Aliexpress store, where they do mention "NOVELKEYS X KAILH" and also "NEW VERSION 2018.08.21".

Do you reckon I got the V2 switches?

I purchased them in the beginning of January and received them halfway through February.

Use a pair of digital calipers to check.

28 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Use a pair of digital calipers to check.

What should I measure and what size should it be?

image.png.811321fe91fbc3f729e47b5503d8c7f3.png

Red/1 = 1.0mm

Yellow/2 = 1.0mm

Blue/3 = 1.2mm

This was measured using a cheap set of digital calipers that are apparently ±0.2mm accurate.

For a little reference, I measured the Gateron Blue switches I have laying around and the Cherry MX Brown in my current keyboard, which had similar measurement. Only the blue/3 part is about 0.1mm thicker on these Kailh Box Jade switches (as compared to the Gateron/Cherry)

EDIT: apparently the switches on the right are the old design, while on the left is the new design.

Spoiler

41eGMg5.jpg

Visually I think mine are more similar to the one on the left, which would be V2.

1 hour ago, minibois said:

EDIT: apparently the switches on the right are the old design, while on the left is the new design.

Hide contents

41eGMg5.jpg

Visually I think mine are more similar to the one on the left, which would be V2.

Yup, you should be good then. As for what to measure, those little nubs on the + mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Put together a new 60% board. Made using the KBDfans tofu case, DZ60 rev 3 pcb, and zuggear koala switches. Definitely was a fun build. I also put together a custom usb-c cable to go along with this board using some paracord and a set of lemo 1b series connectors.

IMG_1102-1.thumb.jpg.76c6ab1e85a9ae34f1266fa1bd4980e4.jpg

IMG_1091-1.thumb.jpg.90fea4755e2bddf740883014c80a645c.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

12 hours ago, bob345 said:

Put together a new 60% board. Made using the KBDfans tofu case, DZ60 rev 3 pcb, and zuggear koala switches. Definitely was a fun build. I also put together a custom usb-c cable to go along with this board using some paracord and a set of lemo 1b series connectors.

IMG_1102-1.thumb.jpg.76c6ab1e85a9ae34f1266fa1bd4980e4.jpg

IMG_1091-1.thumb.jpg.90fea4755e2bddf740883014c80a645c.jpg

lemo best connector 

i might have the weirdest keyboard on here u.u
Mazer E-3lue Special OPS XL Mechanic keyboard. With OUTEMU cyan switches (?) 

Pretty sweet budget mechanic keyboard, 2 years ago when i bought it, it was something like 60$ shipping included.

should have blue logos and lateral leds, but i decided to make it red to match my RGB setup :Dimage.thumb.png.236f2f567e410dec817d9dbdda6eb68e.png

(http://www.e-bluegaming.com/individual product/ekm729.html)

Metalhead with a huge itch for PC gaming, video editing and audio recording, currently playing in a band and pwning n00bs in the summoners rift ;)