Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

You lot have me intregued!

I've never looked into building a keyboard before... Didn't know it existed.

Here's a question. I only really use my board for gaming. I feel the spacebar is too big and wasted, considering the thumb is a strong digit for gaming. Do I have options going down building a keyboard route?

For example. If I could break my space bar up, I feel I could use Alt - key - key - key quite comfortably rather than just alt - space

8 hours ago, SM Phoo said:

You lot have me intregued!

I've never looked into building a keyboard before... Didn't know it existed.

Here's a question. I only really use my board for gaming. I feel the spacebar is too big and wasted, considering the thumb is a strong digit for gaming. Do I have options going down building a keyboard route?

For example. If I could break my space bar up, I feel I could use Alt - key - key - key quite comfortably rather than just alt - space

Yes. That's totally a thing. 0U3sZq0.jpg

18 hours ago, SM Phoo said:

To elaborate the above. As long as the PCB that you pick supports it, then it is possible.

For example, the DZ60 PCB supports multiple bottom row layouts. Bottom row layouts 7, 9 and 10 might be what you are looking for.

KBDfans

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

To elaborate the above. As long as the PCB that you pick supports it, then it is possible.

For example, the DZ60 PCB supports multiple bottom row layouts. Bottom row layouts 7, 9 and 10 might be what you are looking for.

KBDfans

7 and 9 definitely look like something that may interest me!

I really need to look into this and decide if the cost is worth it.

Thank you both!

On 2/4/2020 at 12:38 AM, alittlepeace said:

IMG_20200203_173721__01.jpg?width=1419&height=937

Couldn't help but remember you were one of the first who I recall using XDA-profile keycaps!

I now too have a set for my secondary keyboard and I still can barely get used to it compared to OEM-profile.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Hey, does anyone know any alternatives to the H87a PCB that are in stock? Been searching forever for a TKL PCB but I can't seem to find anything other than the TX Suo.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, sowon said:

I put some Cherry Blacks into my KBDfans 5 Degree earlier this week, and despite lubing them up wiith Krytox 205g0, they're still scratchy. Even stock Gateron Yellows beat these.

The prophecies fortold of scratchiness from retooled Cherry Blacks.

Yeah, I've found that recent batches of retooled blacks are subpar. A few years back they were great though.

12 minutes ago, yalox said:

Yeah, I've found that recent batches of retooled blacks are subpar. A few years back they were great though.

Such a shame as well because those Cherry Blacks are my very first Cherry switch and I expected some good stuff from them. No amount of lube saved them.

4 hours ago, yalox said:

Hey, does anyone know any alternatives to the H87a PCB that are in stock? Been searching forever for a TKL PCB but I can't seem to find anything other than the TX Suo.

h87a 1.2mm are shipping soon, vendors should have extras again soon. 

14 hours ago, sowon said:

Couldn't help but remember you were one of the first who I recall using XDA-profile keycaps!

I now too have a set for my secondary keyboard and I still can barely get used to it compared to OEM-profile.

I'm able to swap between profiles and layouts pretty easily at this point :o 

16 hours ago, b emoji said:

h87a 1.2mm are shipping soon, vendors should have extras again soon. 

Ah, thanks for the heads up!

Mechanical keyboards are the best, i have razer blackwidow 2014. I love it, lost one key but had it for a few years and wouldnt change it.

tobleroneIMG_20200215_144641.thumb.jpg.8dfc92c1bdce481eaf96ba8fe0c0c95a.jpgTGR Jane V2 Blue Gray 
GMK Bento Alphas, TA90 Mods 
Retooled Mx Blacks lubed with 205G2 + 105 Mix 55G TX Springs lubed with LSD oil
GMK Stabs lubed with 205 and Super Lube

Just built up my silver Love TKL, threw a cheap KPRepublic set on it (no WKL caps) while waiting for my OG Cherry dyesubs. Switches are vintage blacks (early 1990s, small logo) lubed with 205g0. The switches have Gateron Yellow springs and TX films, built on a thin H87a and polycarb plate with a nice amount of flex. I've also ordered some 50a O-Rings to mount the plate on, hopefully to isolate the sound.

P1050681.jpg

9 minutes ago, sowon said:

Holy mother that is beautiful. Winkeyless tenkeyless boards are one of the most beautiful form factors for a keyboard ever, in my opinion.

So I get the aesthetics, but is there any practical reason to take off the winkey? My current setup uses it an inordinate amount, and thinking back to when I did use a normal windows setup I still did use it a lot.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

So I get the aesthetics, but is there any practical reason to take off the winkey? My current setup uses it an inordinate amount, and thinking back to when I did use a normal windows setup I still did use it a lot.

Apparently a lot of people don't use it or somehow hit it accidentally so they dislike it. I personally couldn't live without a Win key, I just use it too much.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 hours ago, FezBoy said:

My keyboard has two Windows keys, and I admit I can definitely live with them on. The main pull towards having a winkeyless setup is likely hitting it accidentally when not needed.

My secondary keyboard I've programmed so the left Windows key does not function, and instead I do Ctrl + Esc to access the Windows key.

Fun bit of trivia, most vintage keyboards like the IBM Model M omit the 'Windows' key, so that vintage icon has clearly carried over into the aesthetics of most modern exotic keyboards.

I just got a Redragon K556 with outemu browns. (my first ever mechanical keyboard) It feels amazing compared to my generic membrane keyboard!

IMG_0503.thumb.JPG.65e393f04958a9195ba8ca9e58f11f73.JPG

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Just a heads up, amazon has the drop CTRL "used" for a pretty decent price right now. 

Screenshot_20200224-232449_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, CrackinX said:

Just a heads up, amazon has the drop CTRL "used" for a pretty decent price right now. 

-snip-

That's more than what I paid for my Ctrl... by about $20, for reference. And that was a new Ctrl outta the box!