Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

This is a really good thread, because many people are nowadays looking forward buying mechanical keyboards.

I'm now running with a Filco Tenkeyles CherryMX Red and it feels just so sturdy and awesome!

Here is my collection, also use the MK-80 and have given away some too.

20130105141655.jpg

My CM Storm Pro

reviewstill001.png

It was because I had some WASD key caps on at the time, didn't want to confuse with the QWERkeys caps :

I have the Rosewill RK-9000 with MX Blues. I was able to get mine on Amazon during a sale for less than $70 and I love it. Couldn't be happier with the price for it

It's a great full sized keyboard for people who are just getting into mech keyboards and don't have a lot of money for one.

any thoughts on steelseries 6gv2 ? i would like to get a mechanical keyboard this month something cheaper with mx black switches

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue) w/ blank keycaps s5OQnl.jpg Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (Cherry MX Brown) EAEoUl.jpg

May i ask where to get the blank keycaps? Looks great.

I first wanted to buy the qf rapid since it is built by the same OEM that builds Filcos, but i hated the branding so much i ordered a Majestouch 2 tenkeyless with Cherry MX Blues.

If anyone is interested i will once it arives post some pictures and thoughts of someone, who never had a mechanical keyboard before.

Try checking out /r/mechanicalkeyboards (reddit.com) there is a list in their wiki for different keycap vendors, tons of nice ones in the bunch.

Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue 104 key. Great keyboard, great build quality, a bit expensive but you get what you pay for!

@ ACK The subforum is a good idea

I love my Steelseries 7G, its so well build and the black switches are fine for me, i type about 10 % faster then with my G15 2.gen (now 370-380 clicks per minute)

Helge

I have a Razer Blackwidow 2013 edition, and it is awesome. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I love the blue switches. :P The only problem I have with it, is that the lettering on the keys wears off too easily :( The bottom of the S key is almost gone, and I;ve only had it for a couple weeks.

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I have a Razer Blackwidow 2013 edition' date=' and it is awesome. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I love the blue switches. :P The only problem I have with it, is that the lettering on the keys wears off too easily :( The bottom of the S key is almost gone, and I;ve only had it for a couple weeks.[/quote']

You can buy replacement keysets, i'm not sure what the keys are like on the Blackwidow, but you can have a look at WASDkeyboards

I have a Razer Blackwidow 2013 edition' date=' and it is awesome. It's my first mechanical keyboard and I love the blue switches. :P The only problem I have with it, is that the lettering on the keys wears off too easily :( The bottom of the S key is almost gone, and I;ve only had it for a couple weeks.[/quote'] You can buy replacement keysets, i'm not sure what the keys are like on the Blackwidow, but you can have a look at WASDkeyboards

That's what I was thinking to get if they ever got too bad :P

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I have just got a Cherry MX Red CM Storm Quickfire TK and love it. Backlighting is bright and stands out, with the red backplate helping quite a lot. Very useful being small but not tenkeyless as I tend to use the numpad fairly often. Also it is a very sturdy keyboard.

Corsair 400R / Intel Core i7 2600K / MSI P67A-GD53 / 2 X MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II SLI / Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz

OCZ ZT 550W / Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo / Crucial M4 128GB (2x64GB RAID 0) / WD Caviar Green 1TB / Arctic Silver 5

I'm rockin' a Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Blacks. I changed out the stock keys for some side printed white PBT keys. Sits on my custom wooden wrist rest.

UNITEK K-157 ( no joke, still workin)

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

Great boards all! Post pictures if you want, the more the merrier!

Also, if any of you have any suggestions to go in the OP please don't hesitate to suggest them either on here, on by PMing me and we can sort something out :)

Also, if any of you have any suggestions to go in the OP please don't hesitate to suggest them either on here, on by PMing me and we can sort something out :)

That't not a bad idea, i'll perhaps try to do that tomorrow. :D Cheers.

I can gather the list of the ones already posted if you want.

That'd be awesome, thanks. :)

Don't have a recent pic with the current keycaps but here's a pic with the originals on my custom wrist rest. :)

MXILG.jpg

And along side my Ducky Year of the Dragon with MX-Reds :D

pSZwC.jpg

CM quickfire rapid MX Blues, waiting for my key caps to arrive! (blank white key caps with red ESC)

Just a few things worth mentioning for the OP. I think the descriptions of the switches and the *reasoning* for the recommendations needs to be fleshed out a little. First of all, the actuation force should be acknowledged. Eg. Reds are ligher versions of Blacks and Blues are heavier than Browns. Obviously light/heavy aren't the right terms for force, but they're understood. :D

It also mentions that Blues "aren't so good for gaming". I don't necessarily agree, as they are the easiest switch to feel the actuation point. This alone makes them the most precise and therefore have the best potential as an input device. Of course Blacks and Reds are usually the "gaming switches" because people often prefer the linear feel and lack of audible feedback when gaming, but that's more of a comfort thing. As you can tell, the gaming-ness of a keyboard is a personal choice, so I think the best choice is to list the properties of each and let people make their decision based on what they're looking for in a keyboard. I think it's best to list gaming as a focus of the linear switches, but not as a drawback for the tactile ones.

Personally, I'm using a BlackWidow. The basic, original, no-frills version. No custom caps as of yet. I can post pics, but I think we all know what it looks like. :D While the macro keys on the side sort of annoy me, it does a great job. I wouldn't want to go any lighter, as the blues already seem super-easy to press for me. I'd consider clears or greens in the future if they even become more common.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

I'm currently using the Azio Levetron Clicker. It uses simplified white alps mechanical keys and is rather inexpensive, coming in at about $40 USD.

Here are two pictures of my CoolerMaster Storm QuickFire TK Blue. I'd been using my Logitech G11 since the middle of 2007 and I decided it was finally time to get a mechanical keyboard, so I chose this one and I love it. The pictures probably don't do the LED lighting justice, it is absolutely beautiful, especially in the dark.

ib2ujsNggulHdI.JPG

ib1rUcxaY66W2f.JPG