Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
4 hours ago, alittlepeace said:

This has mechanical switches in it :o modified box pinks/box jades

gif.gif.4fe022dbbee3ed675c41862d13b4ca57.gif

Jesus dude, I find Box Jades heavy to begin with, can't imagine how my fingers would feel if I used box jades on an arcade machine. They'd gain abs by the end of a Street Fighter match.

Also, unrelated but I find the cat inside the banana peel really cute.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Two days left to support the cause for Breast Cancer Awareness Month:

how comparable are those to navies?

3 hours ago, sowon said:

Jesus dude, I find Box Jades heavy to begin with, can't imagine how my fingers would feel if I used box jades on an arcade machine. They'd gain abs by the end of a Street Fighter match.

Also, unrelated but I find the cat inside the banana peel really cute.

heavier than box jades, uses pink spring coz jade was having problems returning quickly in the pushbuttons

4 hours ago, FezBoy said:

Mech switches under the arcade buttons?!

they gamer finger buttons, 2 of my fightsticks uses them, one with the modified kailh box jade/pinks, one with zealstotltes

11 minutes ago, alittlepeace said:

they gamer finger buttons, 2 of my fightsticks uses them, one with the modified kailh box jade/pinks, one with zealstotltes

That is really cool.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

On 10/25/2019 at 9:48 PM, alittlepeace said:

pl07p4ekqpt31.png

Is this a Tester?

where can I get it?

8 hours ago, Acorn Eye said:

how comparable are those to navies?

Did you quote the wrong person? The thing I linked was a group buy for a keycap mod kit, not switches. 

Comparatively, the BOX Navies are heavier than BOX Jades, while BOX Pinks have a heavier actuation than Jades but a slightly lighter bottom out.

5 hours ago, SkullFoxxx said:

Is this a Tester?

where can I get it?

not technically, it's a PCB + case and plate that I'm using as a tester

It's an idobo75 that I got super cheap that I decided to use as a tester, it's still a functional keyboard

0G1A8899-Edit.thumb.jpg.c693386d5b29c9545e6e550d4d580bb7.jpg0G1A8903-Edit.thumb.jpg.35bd6d25b35cd5e9fa03a946f5234a71.jpg

Preparing to swap out the sliders in my FC660C to KBD. Just waiting for lube since it's considerably easier than lubing switches.

With this I'll be able to use MX keycaps. Still need to have a custom 6U spacebar made, but that's something I am working on.

For now, I'm just doing to use a gray HHBK spacebar and will probably print this 6U spacebar and add clay.

10 minutes ago, sowon said:

You haven't even lubed an MX switch though. :P

I've taken one apart. That's already more work than lubing a slider, lol.

19 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I've taken one apart. That's already more work than lubing a slider, lol.

Worth the effort to go from a scratchy switch to an extremely smooth switch, though! :P

11 minutes ago, alittlepeace said:

goes by a lot faster with some sort of lubing station set up :o

There was a time where I wanted to invest in a lubing station but thought against since I barely lube enough ot warrant one, and also because I don't feel the need to visually see all the lubed switches when I can just test them out after the fact anyway.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Just now, sowon said:

Worth the effort to go from a scratchy switch to an extremely smooth switch, though! :P

There was a time where I wanted to invest in a lubing station but thought against since I barely lube enough ot warrant one, and also because I don't feel the need to visually see all the lubed switches when I can just test them out after the fact anyway.

the trays that massdrop switches ship in work very well, since they can hold the switches well enough that you can snap the tops back on

Also, you can order some cheap acrylic or aluminum b-stock plates from keebio or somewhere to hold switches. I usually use an acrylic let's split plate that's set up without a pcb. 

^ also works ok as a switch tester, I was using b-stock iris plates until I got my hands on that cheap idobo75 kit

1 minute ago, sowon said:

We'll see. If I like the difference it makes with sliders, I'll think about it.

Though with both of my main boards being Topre now, idk how much time I will dedicate to MX.

21 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Did you quote the wrong person? The thing I linked was a group buy for a keycap mod kit, not switches. 

Comparatively, the BOX Navies are heavier than BOX Jades, while BOX Pinks have a heavier actuation than Jades but a slightly lighter bottom out.

Yeah it grabbed the wrong person, your post isn't that near the one I wanted to reply to so I have no clue how that happened.

7 hours ago, Nowak said:

Science time ✨

I've got a bunch of royals sitting around but I'm not sure I'll ever put them in anything. Box jades spoiled me and despite being nominally less loud, royals are nowhere near tactile enough for me, and they're already considered the most tactile mx style switch.

5 hours ago, Acorn Eye said:

I've got a bunch of royals sitting around but I'm not sure I'll ever put them in anything. Box jades spoiled me and despite being nominally less loud, royals are nowhere near tactile enough for me, and they're already considered the most tactile mx style switch.

"most tactile" is kind of objective though

box royals are pretty snappy, they turn clicky over time though

hako royals can be considered incredibly tactile because they have heavy springs and a pretty large resistance at the bottom of the press, really good if you want to keep from bottoming out 

14 minutes ago, alittlepeace said:

"most tactile" is kind of objective though

box royals are pretty snappy, they turn clicky over time though

hako royals can be considered incredibly tactile because they have heavy springs and a pretty large resistance at the bottom of the press, really good if you want to keep from bottoming out 

My biggest issue with royals is that they are still "spongy". With jades I have to put so much force into my keystroke before it actuates, I end up bottoming instantly out each time.

Maybe its the sound playing tricks on me.

That said, I'm a little clumsy with my keyboard, I press keys I don't mean to, or don't press hard enough on ones I want to. It just feels awkward. I don't remember it ever being like this however and am attributing it to the fact I'm still learning colemak (35wpm woo!)

14 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

My biggest issue with royals is that they are still "spongy". With jades I have to put so much force into my keystroke before it actuates, I end up bottoming instantly out each time.

Maybe its the sound playing tricks on me.

That said, I'm a little clumsy with my keyboard, I press keys I don't mean to, or don't press hard enough on ones I want to. It just feels awkward. I don't remember it ever being like this however and am attributing it to the fact I'm still learning colemak (35wpm woo!)

have you tried some of the other clickbar switches?

Pinks have a heavier spring, but have a thinner clickbar so the tactility isn't as heavy