Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
4 minutes ago, sowon said:

You could have a go at making your own keyboard if you feel like you aren't getting the satisfaction you need out of the marketplace saturated with 'gaming' keyboards.

I've heard good things about SteelSeries and HyperX if you're tied into the gaming-oriented peripherals, otherwise Ducky and Leopold have some solid mechanical keyboards that you might want to consider as they use nice switches unlike the usual Cherry MX ones you'd find in the gaming-oriented keyboards.

When I said I would look elsewhere I meant that I would probably look at a different brand rather than make my own keyboard. Speed of delivery was also important to me on this occasion as I didn't have a spare keyboard lying around I could use in the meantime. That being said budget was/is also a key consideration for me and while I could have spent a little more if I needed to my comfort level of spending on a keyboard would have rapidly been breached going into 3 figures. I have seen some videos on making your own keyboards and while I find it quite interesting its not something that really fits into my price category (go go gadget LTT video on making your own keyboard for $100 or less!).

5 minutes ago, sowon said:

Interestingly I also formerly used a Rocket Isku keyboard, it was the FX version in white, it was one huge keyboard. My Roccat Isku was retired after the membranes just felt cheap and squishy. The Isku sure used some low-quality rubber domes.

I really did like my ISKU though its performance did degrade quite a bit over its lifetime. I did manage to make it last about 5 years and it did get some pretty heavy use (I am a little heavy fingered and used it many hours per day for most of that 5 years). I hope I don't end up missing it too much though ?

0G1A7350-Edit.thumb.jpg.c2af9fee932e21d57baee332ac4dabcf.jpg0G1A7366.thumb.jpg.b2ff4da086e59abf8ca2f803ed31198a.jpg0G1A7354.thumb.jpg.e5ffd213847ff0e1e49c15b1d7e6b3dc.jpg0G1A7379-Edit.thumb.jpg.f9e68a872486a52690c07fec37546814.jpg0G1A7486-Edit.thumb.jpg.093c4b398fc84c97369d5d9b55f8e2d8.jpg0G1A7508-Edit.thumb.jpg.fecd8edcf28e34fc671f7255eb7832c9.jpg0G1A7563-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.dc6d8632f3c56cac0c2c8e3d05de875b.jpg

My most recent build, the NIU40.

Just now, Nowak said:

@Den-Fi Nice Kira

Thanks that's my favorite keyboard. I have 2 of em. One at my office and one at home.

14 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Thanks that's my favorite keyboard. I have 2 of em. One at my office and one at home.

Oh, same. I only have one but it's probably one of my favorite keyboards, firmware bugs aside. (it's not as egregiously bad as my anne pro 2, which is just awful.) I also like how it has a numpad while not taking up as much room as a standard full size.

CQife9y.jpg

What switches do you have in yours? I'm rocking Kailh Box Royals, personally.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Oh, same. I only have one but it's probably one of my favorite keyboards, firmware bugs aside. (it's not as egregiously bad as my anne pro 2, which is just awful.) I also like how it has a numpad while not taking up as much room as a standard full size.

Right?! I needed a numpad since I work with numbers all day and it was just plain maddening trying to find something that was small frame, but still had a numpad. Everything else was a group buy that didn't ship for ages or soldered in cherry switches. So glad I found this one. I thought it would merely hold me over til I found something to build, but it honestly made me stop looking (for a main keyboard anyway).

I have Kailh x Novel Keys Jades for the letters and Navies for every other key. I know not many like clicky switches, but they are a necessity for me. The audible feedback helps me a great deal speed wise.

1 hour ago, Den-Fi said:

Right?! I needed a numpad since I work with numbers all day and it was just plain maddening trying to find something that was small frame, but still had a numpad. Everything else was a group buy that didn't ship for ages or soldered in cherry switches. So glad I found this one. I thought it would merely hold me over til I found something to build, but it honestly made me stop looking (for a main keyboard anyway).

I have Kailh x Novel Keys Jades for the letters and Navies for every other key. I know not many like clicky switches, but they are a necessity for me. The audible feedback helps me a great deal speed wise.

I was using a TKL for a while but then realized I really missed having a numpad, and the Kira was... right there.

I'm not opposed to clicky switches - my Royals are "clicky", but I definitely prefer quieter switches. That being said, I'm thinking about doing a build with the 1upkeyboards 60% PCB and clicky switches. Probably Box Jades.

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I was using a TKL for a while but then realized I really missed having a numpad, and the Kira was... right there.

I'm not opposed to clicky switches - my Royals are "clicky", but I definitely prefer quieter switches. That being said, I'm thinking about doing a build with the 1upkeyboards 60% PCB and clicky switches. Probably Box Jades.

Pale Blues are a great option too, they're quieter and lighter. Though I don't prefer them over Jades.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Pale Blues are a great option too, they're quieter and lighter. Though I don't prefer them over Jades.

But are they Thicc Clicks?

Just now, Nowak said:

No, they're classed as heavy (60g).

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Ah, I see.

8 hours ago, Nowak said:

8 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Pale Blues in my experience are essentially Kailh Box Jades if the Kailh Box Jades had a thinner click bar and a lighter spring.

Pale Blues are much lighter than the Box Jades and also don't sound as thicc as the Box Jades.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

On 8/25/2019 at 7:52 AM, Den-Fi said:

0G1A7486-Edit.thumb.jpg.093c4b398fc84c97369d5d9b55f8e2d8.jpg

My most recent build, the NIU40.

What is that one with the orange caps?

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, Den-Fi said:

On 8/24/2019 at 8:13 PM, Nowak said:

CQife9y.jpg

meant to quote for above lol

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, b emoji said:

?

It was some question about switches. I remember seeing it yesterday, but didn't have the answer.

Hello there... 

Can someone recommend me a good full sized keyboard with double injected keycaps with brown switches, I can't seem to find any that cached my eyes, they are ether 10 keyless or the keycaps are lets say "less than desired quality". Any help is heavily appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Erandriel said:

Hello there... 

Can someone recommend me a good full sized keyboard with double injected keycaps with brown switches, I can't seem to find any that cached my eyes, they are ether 10 keyless or the keycaps are lets say "less than desired quality". Any help is heavily appreciated.

Keycaps on this board are one the best there are : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4246

There are few color options also : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=172

Edited by noxdeouroboros

image.png.09fb4b181f8f466c242d8b79f437e9c7.png

Currently I use the Fantech MK871 Tournament Edition RGB TKL Keyboard. It has Outemu Brown Switches. The Software is shit though. The Keycaps are ABS so yeah they have already started to go glossy.

Yesterday I got a notification said that GMK Uniqey C70 is available in Massdrop, but today I just coincidentaly watched this.

What do you guys think?

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

2 hours ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Yesterday I got a notification said that GMK Uniqey C70 is available in Massdrop, but today I just coincidentaly watched this.

What do you guys think?

The C70 is better built with much better caps, but I wouldn't get either tbh. The KBDFANS KBD67mkII is better imo but you'll need to wait a bit for it to be restocked again.