Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
25 minutes ago, Akli said:

Are they only for keyboards ? Im asking because im not sure they have a name in my language, so maybe i could get them if they are sold in a hardwarestore for some other purpose.

You could probably find them at a hardware store, but it would be easier to just buy some meant for mechanical keyboards. Just go on mechanicalkeyboards.com or elitekeyboards.com and buy some.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You could probably find them at a hardware store, but it would be easier to just buy some meant for mechanical keyboards. Just go on mechanicalkeyboards.com or elitekeyboards.com and buy some.

Oh, they seem to deliver internationally, though i must admit i would feel a bit silly to make and international ship for some rubber bands xD

On 1/2/2013 at 11:44 PM, Dave :) said:

Hello all,

Thought i should get in early and create a central hub for all us Keyboard enthusiasts to congregate.
For those who don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, here is a quick, very brief outline.

On a regular rubber dome keyboard, ones you generally find in Schools, work places etc, under each key is rubber dome. When pressed, this rubber dome is pressed down, making contact with the underlying membrane, transferring the electrical impulse through the circuitry and thus telling the computer what button has been pressed.

A mechanical keyboard, on the otherhand, doesn't have such a set up. Instead, underneath each key is an individual switch. When pressed, this switch is forced down, connecting the contact and transferring electrical impulse. The advantages of using a mechanical switch are quite strong, firstly it provides a much more tactile and wholesome feedback, good for telling the user when they have actuated the key. This allows the user, when they have got used to it, to type at a much faster rate as they know the feeling of when they have typed a letter, and thus can increase their word count. Also, mechanical keyboards allow for NKRO, or N-key roll over. Basically this means that the user can press down as many keys as they like, the computer will register all the key strokes. With a membrane board, there is a limit.

For a much more in depth talk, check out Linus' video on Mechanical keyboards.

There are many, many switch variants out there. However the ones you are most likely to come across are: Cherry MX switches. These come in a variety of names, denoted by their colour. Each switch feels slightly different, and provides the user with different reasons to use a switch.

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.
Cherry MX Browns: Tactile, non-clicky. - Good gaming and typing due to their quietness, but still maintaining the tactile feedback (you can feel a bump when you press the key)
Cherry MX Reds: Linear, non-clicky - Good for gaming, similar to Membrane in linear motion; no bump as it's not tactile.
Cherry MX Blacks : Linear, non-clicky. - Similar to MX Reds, slightly heavier

There are many other variants of the Cherry MX line up, however these are the main constituents which filtrate into the mainstream market.

Simply post what Keyboard you're running, what switch type, TKL or not, and any other mods you've done to it.

Here is my Filco Majestouch 2 TKL:
900x900px-LL-b1b9eb9f_IMG_0907.jpeg

i have a mechanical gaming keyboard with outemu blue mechanical switches i am wondering can you place cherry mx keycaps on those switches??

16 minutes ago, drmegamer said:

i have a mechanical gaming keyboard with outemu blue mechanical switches i am wondering can you place cherry mx keycaps on those switches??

Yes

:)

Hello there, I was wandering if any of you guys can help me, I recently bought a new mechanical keyboard (the Tesoro Durandal Ultimate v2, it was on a good sale in my country). The keyboard feels ok, it has brown switches, they feel new, without any noticeable problems on the hardware side. When I connect it to a laptop, it seems to work, but some keys have a chance to not register anything or register multiple strokes when pressed, do you think there might be problems on the software side? Maybe a driver or something that I'm missing.

I recently bought a Redragon Yama with purple switches, which I found to be noisy, but the keyboard has other qualities I like such as volume wheel, programmable keys (though weirdly placed) and individual keys lighting when pressed.

So the question is, should I just buy silent switches (and shorter keycaps to allow for more rgb bleeding) o just get a new keyboard with these things.

In both cases, any recommendation of either switches/keycaps or keyboards?

Also, can switches if any brand fit this case?

12 hours ago, Akli said:

I recently bought a Redragon Yama with purple switches, which I found to be noisy, but the keyboard has other qualities I like such as volume wheel, programmable keys (though weirdly placed) and individual keys lighting when pressed.

So the question is, should I just buy silent switches (and shorter keycaps to allow for more rgb bleeding) o just get a new keyboard with these things.

In both cases, any recommendation of either switches/keycaps or keyboards?

Also, can switches if any brand fit this case?

I'm not sure if the board has a hot swappable pcb, if it does you can just swap out the switches. But most likely the keyboard is soldered, and you will need to desolder the existing switches and solder in new ones. 

Good silent switches are Zilent switches, Aliaz switches, Cherry silenced, Gateron silenced and Outemu silenced. 

11 hours ago, b emoji said:

I'm not sure if the board has a hot swappable pcb, if it does you can just swap out the switches. But most likely the keyboard is soldered, and you will need to desolder the existing switches and solder in new ones. 

Good silent switches are Zilent switches, Aliaz switches, Cherry silenced, Gateron silenced and Outemu silenced. 

Im kinda in a hard spot, because i use a spanish keyboard and i like the ISO structure (can't stand the one line Intro key), plus i found the volume wheel to be something that should be mandatory in every board.

So, one of the things i was looking for is for the Milk Pudding keycaps which i read are really nice for RGB and sound, but can't seem to find them in the spanish or at least in the ISO versions. So im open to caps recommendations as well.

The other thing is that keyboards built from parts dont seem to support a volume wheel or even have software to configure rgb.

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If there are any Swedes in this community this switch might interest you: Linjar Switch

Even colored based on the Swedish flag. The group buy is available now through https://mykeyboard.eu/ or https://novelkeys.xyz/ if you are in the US.

Render:

Hide contents

rgHarqI_1600x.jpg?v=1548007261

That is glorious. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

What do you guys think of a HP Sequencer for €89,90?

I was planning on buying a mechanical keyboard for me and my SO, but being kinda hard justifying myself spending much money.

A shop near me that sponsored / had a booth (?) on Comicon is selling the keyboards it had on exposition with 60% off. They are seller as 'refurbushed' although they said the only refurbished they had to do was clean and sterilize the keys and plate, and it comes with the standard 2 year warranty.

17 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

What do you guys think of a HP Sequencer for €89,90?

I'm not really a fan of optical-mechanical switches, mainly because I can't change them, but that's just me. Were you able to test them to see if you like the feel?

16 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I'm not really a fan of optical-mechanical switches, mainly because I can't change them, but that's just me. Were you able to test them to see if you like the feel?

Not yet, but I will definitely test then before buying. But is it a good value for the keyboard or is it a good keyboard considering the price?

6 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

Not yet, but I will definitely test then before buying. But is it a good value for the keyboard or is it a good keyboard considering the price?

It's a not bad price for the features that you get. Do you know what website for keyboards are available in Portugal, or wherever you are? Amazon UK?

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

It's a not bad price for the features that you get. Do you know what website for keyboards are available in Portugal, or wherever you are? Amazon UK?

Yes, Portugal

amazon.es (Spain is the closest and cheapest to ship)

Then we have local boutique stores:

https://www.pcdiga.com

https://www.globaldata.pt

https://www.chiptec.net

https://www.imperiomultimedia.pt

We also have big general retail stores that have online stores, and a few online stores (usually Spanish) that ship to Portugal. They are mostly listed when you search anything here:

https://www.kuantokusta.pt/informatica/Perifericos/Teclados-e-Packs/HP-OMEN-Sequencer-Keyboard-2VN99AA-p-1-563325

(MediaMarkt isn't usually listed there but it is also a thing https://mediamarkt.pt ) although it usually doesn't compensate.

24 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

-snip-

Are there any particular features that you want on the keyboard? Media keys, volume wheel, any specific switches? Budget?

30 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Are there any particular features that you want on the keyboard? Media keys, volume wheel, any specific switches? Budget?

The main feature is comfort. I'm a software engineer and spend a lot of time typing, and at least at home would like to invest on something better than a cheap keyboard. I game mostly on the controller, with exception for RTS and some shooters, while my girlfriend will enjoy most of the gaming usage of it. I have no particular need for special keys, although my girlfriend would benefit of some macros. I kinda wish their lighting was Aura compatible but it isn't a deal breaker.

About switch types, I'm afraid I have no clue. The last mechanical keyboard I owned was probably 20 years ago and was already an old keyboard, and there was no colour coded switches I think, so I really have no experience in typing for long periods on none.

Budget, well, I really have no budget. I've been delaying any purchase for a while now, considered these ones for the price cut that seemed like a nice deal if they were good. If there are better ones on a close price range, I could consider.

28 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

I kinda wish their lighting was Aura compatible but it isn't a deal breaker.

I believe Asus keyboards (like this one) are the only ones that are Aura compatible.

If you want something simple, check this one out. Cooler Master has some of the better built OEM keyboards especially the Masterkeys Pro line. You can also check out this keyboard by Cooler Master if you want RGB. The Corsair K95 is hard to beat if you want macros but it is a bit pricier. 

There are better ones out there like the offerings of Leopold, Das Keyboard, Filco, Ducky, but I'm not familiar with the EU market to know where to look for those brands.

11 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I believe Asus keyboards (like this one) are the only ones that are Aura compatible.

If you want something simple, check this one out. Cooler Master has some of the better built OEM keyboards especially the Masterkeys Pro line. You can also check out this keyboard by Cooler Master if you want RGB. The Corsair K95 is hard to beat if you want macros but it is a bit pricier. 

There are better ones out there like the offerings of Leopold, Das Keyboard, Filco, Ducky, but I'm not familiar with the EU market to know where to look for those brands.

Alright, thank you very much.

Hi dear members of the forum , i have to make a decision .do you have any suggestions of what pbt doubleshot backlit should i buy ?i was thinking either these (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/White-Translucidus-Keycap-108-PBT-Backlit-Keycap-For-OEM-cherry-MX-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard-Gaming-Keyboard/1806079_32680673029.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.73c76e1c6PY23l) because they are quite cheap but i also consider these https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/taihao-pbt-double-shot-keycaps-for-diy-gaming-mechanical-keyboard-Backlit-Caps-oem-profile-light-through/3034003_32823148767.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.5.6cda7ad0t5CtiS because taihao is well known for their quality . between these two what do you recomend and do you have any other suggestion of a very good quality pbt backlit set . thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, johncrypto said:

-snip-

Between those two, I would get the Taihao set. Note that it is currently the Chinese holiday so expect to wait a while to receive it.

Where are you located? Budget? Anything particular that you are looking for, like color, or profile?

5 minutes ago, johncrypto said:

Hi dear members of the forum , i have to make a decision .do you have any suggestions of what pbt doubleshot backlit should i buy ?i was thinking either these (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/White-Translucidus-Keycap-108-PBT-Backlit-Keycap-For-OEM-cherry-MX-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard-Gaming-Keyboard/1806079_32680673029.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.73c76e1c6PY23l) because they are quite cheap but i also consider these https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/taihao-pbt-double-shot-keycaps-for-diy-gaming-mechanical-keyboard-Backlit-Caps-oem-profile-light-through/3034003_32823148767.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.5.6cda7ad0t5CtiS because taihao is well known for their quality . between these two what do you recomend and do you have any other suggestion of a very good quality pbt backlit set . thanks in advance

Between those the Taihao look much nicer. Though I'm personally not a fan of backlit keys, so I couldn't recommend anything else in that area.

29 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Between those the Taihao look much nicer. Though I'm personally not a fan of backlit keys, so I couldn't recommend anything else in that area.

what do you recommend ?i dont mind not being backlit but at least i want the legends to be clear even at night adn i want them to have a very good quality