Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
2 minutes ago, Hit_and_run_poster said:

damn this Logitech K120 feels really great

That's... not a mechanical keyboard.

5 hours ago, Hit_and_run_poster said:

damn this Logitech K120 feels really great

On what kind of keyboard did you type before k120 that it feels great? 

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

On what kind of keyboard did you type before k120 that it feels great? 

a hp laptop keyboard

Just now, Hit_and_run_poster said:

a hp laptop keyboard

Depends on a  laptop but most of them have keyboards very similar to k120, there should not be much difference..

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Depends on a  laptop but most of them have keyboards very similar to k120, there should not be much difference..

must have something to do with the ultra quiet typing on the k120 then

I'm so excited, my new keycaps arrived at a PO box in the US a few days ago, and now I just have to wait for my parents to drive there and pick them up :P

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm so excited, my new keycaps arrived at a PO box in the US a few days ago, and now I just have to wait for my parents to drive there and pick them up :P

Care to share what kind of keycaps you ordered and what keyboard you gonna use them with? :)

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Care to share what kind of keycaps you ordered and what keyboard you gonna use them with? :)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1872

These keycaps on a CM Masterkeys Pro S. Not the most amazing board, but I love it :)

I also think that the non-backlit keys will look cool since the RGB shines around the keycaps and in the gaps between the keys.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1872

These keycaps on a CM Masterkeys Pro S. Not the most amazing board, but I love it :)

I also think that the non-backlit keys will look cool since the RGB shines around the keycaps and in the gaps between the keys.

I have the same keyboard, well mine is non rgb, it has white LED'S, I love mine too. Also waiting for keycaps to arrive?Why did you ordered 108 keycaps set for a tenkeyless board though? What kind of switches on your pro s?

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I have the same keyboard, well mine is non rgb, it has white LED'S, I love mine too. Also waiting for keycaps to arrive?Why did you ordered 108 keycaps set for a tenkeyless board though? What kind of switches on your pro s?

I ordered 108 because I couldn't find just a TKL set of the same keycaps (or other ones I liked) for a similar price for the same thing (dark grey or black PBT dye-sub).

I have browns on mine. I kinda want to try some Kalih BOX Jades, but building a keyboard is expensive.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I ordered 108 because I couldn't find just a TKL set of the same keycaps (or other ones I liked) for a similar price for the same thing (dark grey or black PBT dye-sub).

I have browns on mine. I kinda want to try some Kalih BOX Jades, but building a keyboard is expensive.

You can desolder the switches on your keyboard and resolder BOX Jades. That's exactly what I did on my G710. 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

You can desolder the switches on your keyboard and resolder BOX Jades. That's exactly what I did on my G710. 

I have very, very little experience soldering. I don't want to mess it up and be without a keyboard and have a bunch of useless switches lying around.

If I get better I might consider doing that, but at that point, I might as well build one. I'm not a fan of the case on my keyboard; it has a horrible soft-touch plastic on it that gets dirty from just sitting on my desk. The stabs are also shit, but I bet I could replace those if I replaced the switches.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

11 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I ordered mine on aliexpress, a lot of options on there. I ordered ninja printed ones. My board also has browns, they are fine for my taste,far from great though. I'm planning to build a keyboard myself, but have trouble deciding what switch to go with.. 

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I have very, very little experience soldering. I don't want to mess it up and be without a keyboard and have a bunch of useless switches lying around.

If I get better I might consider doing that, but at that point, I might as well build one. I'm not a fan of the case on my keyboard; it has a horrible soft-touch plastic on it that gets dirty from just sitting on my desk. The stabs are also shit, but I bet I could replace those if I replaced the switches.

My only experience soldering was nearly 10 years prior, and when I soldered the switches I used a crappy, very basic soldering iron. Not saying it's impossible to mess up, but if even I could do it...

But building one would give you more options for everything, yeah. 

:)

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I ordered mine on aliexpress, a lot of options on there. I ordered ninja printed ones. My board also has browns, they are fine for my taste,far from great though. I'm planning to build a keyboard myself, but have trouble deciding what switch to go with.. 

I was looking at Aliexpress, but I wanted something from a reputable brand.

I completely agree with what you said about browns, but it was all I really had available at the time (Cherry MX switches that is; there was that, clones, or rubber domes).

If I had to go off just sound alone, I'd go with BOX Jades. They sound so good...I wish I had somewhere to try them out :( 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

My only experience soldering was nearly 10 years prior, and when I soldered the switches I used a crappy, very basic soldering iron. Not saying it's impossible to mess up, but if even I could do it...

But building one would give you more options for everything, yeah. 

I have a butane soldering iron. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it seems to do the job. I just have to practice.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Plum NiZ 84ECs Pro

35g Electrostatic Capacitive Keys

PBT Key Caps

I added 10g springs to the ESC, Space, Caps, Tab and Delete keys.

I prefer it over my KUL ES87 or Corsair K70 Rapidfire by far. So pleasant to type on and super responsive. I also really like the F keys directly above the numerical keys for keybindings in MMORPG’s.

C2B1EFA2-1031-4DBA-99F1-01F56A7D8933.jpeg

FYI, for those who don't absolutely need a Scroll Lock key (has anyone ever used that key at all?): Here's my Soarer's map to make my IBM F XT have a decent "layout" with additional functionalities behind the Scroll Lock "layer". Feel free to extend.

# IBM XT remapping, best used with European layouts.
# Mostly restores an "almost Model M" feeling.

remapblock
    PAD_ASTERIX LGUI           # PrtScr = Windows key
    CAPS_LOCK RALT             # Caps Lock is less interesting than AltGr

# standard nav cluster:
    PAD_1 END                       
    PAD_2 DOWN
    PAD_3 PAGE_DOWN
    PAD_4 LEFT
    PAD_5 ENTER
    PAD_6 RIGHT
    PAD_7 HOME
    PAD_8 UP
    PAD_9 PAGE_UP
    PAD_PERIOD DELETE

# switch ^° and #'
    BACKSLASH     EUROPE_2
    BACK_QUOTE    BACKSLASH
endblock

# provide two layers:
# make NUM LOCK (mostly) work as NUM LOCK should,
# use SCROLL LOCK to remap some of the keys remapped
# above so we don't lose any functionality.
ifselect any
remapblock
    NUM_LOCK    SELECT_1
    SCROLL_LOCK SELECT_2
endblock

# definitions when NUM LOCK is active:
ifselect 1
remapblock
    # restore numpad
    PAD_1 1
    PAD_2 2
    PAD_3 3
    PAD_4 4
    PAD_5 5
    PAD_6 6
    PAD_7 7
    PAD_8 8
    PAD_9 9
    PAD_0 0
    PAD_PERIOD PERIOD
endblock

# definitions when SCROLL LOCK is active:
ifselect 2
remapblock
    # Make PrtScr PrtScr again
    PAD_ASTERIX PRINTSCREEN

# Transform <> into ^°
    BACKSLASH BACK_QUOTE
endblock

Note that I don't really need the number block for anything other than using the nav keys. Those of you who do might want to un-remap the PAD_ASTERIX (no typo ?) key or add a LCTRL + PAD_ASTERIX combination.

HTH.

Write in C.

ACGAM AG6X 60% Outemu Blue Switches w/ low profile keycaps that I scavenged from an EDGE 201

Doesn't fit perfectly but what I've been wanting for a while. Both were quite cheap at 40€ and 30€. I like it.

20190107_152222.jpg

1 hour ago, edno said:

ACGAM AG6X 60% Outemu Blue Switches w/ low profile keycaps that I scavenged from an EDGE 201

Doesn't fit perfectly but what I've been wanting for a while. Both were quite cheap at 40€ and 30€. I like it.

20190107_152222.jpg

And you liking it is all that matters. Glad you found something you like.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈