Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

Just a heads up, that board isn't actually offered in all of the variants of MX switches (in your article, you said it's available in all 9 switch types). You forgot about Tactile and Linear Grey.

Also, the Cap profile is just OEM, not Cherry OEM (Cherry Profile and OEM Profile are two different things.)

Edit: The spacebar holes do not allow you to move the cap sideways (the Cherry stabs reach to the outside end on either side of the keyboard). The Different spots on the spacebar are for different brands of keyboard - I think Leopold or Filco (and possibly old Cherry boards?) will have an offset spacebar switch, and sometime shorter spacebar stabs.

I don't understand what the big deal is about the USB 2 vs. 3 is, It's not like keyboards use enough bandwidth to make USB 3 make sense.

Also, One thing to note is that (at least last year, not 100% certain about the current state of affairs), Cherry MX switches actually were not very consistent, especially between blue and brown switches, which would often have different levels of scratchy-ness, and for blues in particular, the clicking would not work on some switches.

Pretty sure this depends on the batch and overall browns were affected far less than blues.  My day 1 Ducky Year of the Goat with RGB MX browns has non scratchy, fully consistent AND naturally sound dampened (!) MX Brown switches, which feel fantastic.

23 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Pretty sure this depends on the batch and overall browns were affected far less than blues.  My day 1 Ducky Year of the Goat with RGB MX browns has non scratchy, fully consistent AND naturally sound dampened (!) MX Brown switches, which feel fantastic.

Of course it depends on the batch. I was making a point that when he said something to the effect of 'cherry switches have superior consistency' that his statement wasn't really true anymore when compared to other well regarded brands of switches (greetech, and Gateron for example.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Oh cool, a mech club! I see loads of you guys have Full-size boards or TKLs, hope you don't mind a bit of 60% action ;) 

My current daily driver is a Sentraq S60-X with Gateron Browns and one MX Lock switch. Keycaps are White PBT from NPKC, some of which I've dyed orange with iDye Poly.

reGuXuD.jpg

Firmware is a custom port to QMK, as the S60-X only came with TMK at the time I bought it. You can see the layout here, it's mostly standard ANSI except for the split right shift. I'm using US-International to input the German special characters Ä, Ö, Ü and ß.

0aCVvFI.png

60% with Gateron brown master race. Haha

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

10 hours ago, AmbellinaThePrise said:

60% with Gateron brown master race. Haha

Yeah if you want browns, Gaterons are a much better choice than Cherrys :) Though I'm in the process of building a hot-swappable OLKB Atomic with Gateron Greens right now. Somehow I suspect I won't be able to bring that board to work with me :D

I am using a Corsair K70 RGB with Brown Switches inside. It has been my keyboard for a few years now and have learned how to make some semi-cool lighting effects. 

so i ordered the o-rings from Massdrop, and the ETA is supposed to be today. but nothing came in the mail... and ironically, there's no shipping update from the past few weeks. 

14 hours ago, Technicolors said:

so i ordered the o-rings from Massdrop, and the ETA is supposed to be today. but nothing came in the mail... and ironically, there's no shipping update from the past few weeks. 

Why did you specifically order the ones from MD? Were they cheaper than getting some from a direct supplier or from china?

7 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

Why did you specifically order the ones from MD? Were they cheaper than getting some from a direct supplier or from china?

honestly no idea why i got it from MD. i know you can find those o-rings elsewhere pretty easily, but i didn't really need it right away. still shame on MD to miss the ETA.. 

and another day passes with no update.. 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

honestly no idea why i got it from MD. i know you can find those o-rings elsewhere pretty easily, but i didn't really need it right away. still shame on MD to miss the ETA.. 

and another day passes with no update.. 

Shoul've just bought cheap orings from china, even mine came with tracking lmao

Today, yes TODAY! I received a whole new set of Silicone Gel key caps from MassDrop!

I originally ordered them June 16, 2016 and got them a few months later. They have problems, but the most outstanding problem was 1 key had a completely malformed stem.

And today I finally got a whole new replacement set! ZOMG MD support works! See that amazing customer service! 

If you don't feel the exasperation and sarcasm in my text... try getting support for any order on MD that has gone wrong.

You know... I can't be arsed to even put on the new cap now... /toss box into corner with all the other unused keyboard stuff.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

I received a whole new set of Silicone Gel key caps from MassDrop!

Oh, how do you like those? I thought they were an interesting idea, but I can't really imagine typing on them. I imagine they'd make the whole key feel mushy.

43 minutes ago, iFreilicht said:

Oh, how do you like those? I thought they were an interesting idea, but I can't really imagine typing on them. I imagine they'd make the whole key feel mushy.

I outlined a list of the problems with them waaay back when I got em.They do feel mushy at first. Really cool till the gummy bear novelty wears off.

Cons:

All keys over 1u size are useless because they bend, unless you press down right on the switch. They're only really usable in the alpha-numeric, F, and navigation keys. All modifiers are useless to me cuz I don't press the very center of the longer keys. Something up with the manufacture of them causes the keys to look or build up dirt on some keys and not others. I'm guessing some kinda finishing coat is misapplied or the surface is still porous or something. I have 2 keys where this is noticeable, like they just look dirty with finger grime, but the other keys don't...

Pros:

I like how lighting displays, would have preferred a mono color set (which they did drops of later). 

They absorb vibration and sound SO well. 

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

9 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

I have 2 keys where this is noticeable, like they just look dirty with finger grime, but the other keys don't...

I actually experience this with my PBT caps as well, but that's after dyeing them, so I don't think it has anything to do with coating. It could be that this is a behavioural effect. Maybe the fingers that touch those two keys are the ones you always scratch your head or pluck your nose with. I haven't tried switching those caps out yet, would be interesting to see where this comes from.

Hmm, I just noticed, the replacements I got seems to have a firmer silicone. It seems to work better for the modifiers than the old ones did for sure, but the space bar's support stems are in the wrong spot by just a bit damnit. At least the long keys seem usable, at least with the Shift keys I've been testing just now writing this post.

Doh! not quite... just the keys with stabilizers are ok. the 1.25u keys are still unusable. I'm on cherry stabilizers.

On 22/01/2017 at 10:10 PM, KaminKevCrew said:

The part that shines through would be the POM used in the double shot process, they don't make translucent PBT :)

Did you get the Vortex PBT/POM doubleshot caps? I've found that there are a few different textures of PBT out there. Some is very roughly textured, and others are textured, but nice and smooth (similar to a wet sanded boat hull, if you've ever felt one of those.)

sorry for the extremely late reply, new computer lol. Yeah my keys are extremely smooth and nice to touch and not slippery aswell 

And here I am with the Blackwidow Chroma V2 :). I upgraded from the Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. Am I considered a heretic because I really enjoy Razer's green switches ;)?

13 hours ago, mathizel said:

And here I am with the Blackwidow Chroma V2 :). I upgraded from the Blackwidow Ultimate 2013. Am I considered a heretic because I really enjoy Razer's green switches ;)?

You're allowed to like whatever you want, though I'm surprised that you like the new board over the old one. Are you sure you don't just like it better because it's an RGB board?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

On ‎13‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 9:10 AM, KaminKevCrew said:

You're allowed to like whatever you want, though I'm surprised that you like the new board over the old one. Are you sure you don't just like it better because it's an RGB board?

Well, they actually feel pretty similar to the 2013 switches. Not sure what's up with that. Before the V2 I used the V1 chroma for a week (also with green switches) but those felt so weird I had to return it. It really feels like just a RGB upgrade now if I am honest. But I love the wrist wrest and the better font.

Hello everyone. I love keyboards and have owned a few. My list is as follows:

Logitech g710 with mx blue switches

Azio mgk1 rgb with knockoff blues

Razer blackwidow ultimate with razer greens

Corsair k65 rgb UK layout with mx reds

Ajazz geek ak33 with knockoff blacks

Slowly worked my way smaller and smaller footprint haha

I havent been on the forum in a while, but I thought I might come in here. Drop the images off to my Great Wave custom wired keyboard and then leave again :)

32800964592_37de9dc69a_z.jpg

The Great Wave Keyboard by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

32954861865_815e1b210d_z.jpg

32830345691_f3e9888f75_z.jpg

32800999522_1b4853365d_z.jpg

32573938550_1e5fe24106_z.jpg

32111391474_d5f7666df0_z.jpg