Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
3 minutes ago, spwath said:

Finally finished a half. To find out my teensy is counterfit.

Time to order new ones, desolder, and solder again.

Buy a real one don't try and save a dollar or two.

1 minute ago, Charger said:

I bought them like a year ago. This time I will do it right. Ill go right from their website.

IDK what I was thinking, buying the cheapest one on ebay..... stupid stupid me last year.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

8 minutes ago, Charger said:

didnt even know that there were fake ones...

45 minutes ago, TheProfosist said:

didnt even know that there were fake ones...

There are a lot of them but most don't have the teensy bootloader so they are basically cheaper arduino pro micros

Corsair K95...noncustom but I have a 3D printer right next to me...and modeling skills....really should get around to that.

I have a corsair strafe with cherry MX reds. I wish I had RGB but I still love this keyboard IMG_2369.JPG

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB - White PBT Keycaps .jpgI got myself a corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB - and also a set of white ( backlit ) PBT keycap set from mechanical keyboards - - Over the moon with this setup - wanna type all day on this setup :) w

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

my E-Element Eagle Z-77 keyboard is marvelous to use. Typing on it feels responsive, if a bit too sensitive moving from a membrane keyboard to mechanical keyboard but the Outemu black switches are perfect for me.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a membrane keyboard... or RGBless. That shit is hypnotic as hell when on rainbow setting. I simply love it!!!

20170106_153428.jpg

EDIT: sorry if there's not enough light, I was going for a more crisp and not blurry photo than a brightly lit one.

Edited by Jean-Nicholas

7 hours ago, georgevar59 said:

Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB - White PBT Keycaps .jpgI got myself a corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB - and also a set of white ( backlit ) PBT keycap set from mechanical keyboards - - Over the moon with this setup - wanna type all day on this setup :) w

Is that the Vortex PBT set?
I'm REALLY not a fan of that set.  There is simply far too much *Uneven* backlight bleed througho the keycaps and the switch outlines are far, far too visible.

The Ducky doubleshot white ABS "YOTG" Set looks far better, as the bleed is actually diffused much more evenly, even though there is still bleed, it looks far more like Saturday night fever disco, or an Arcade, rather than seeing switch housings under the keys.

The problem is, that set has been unavailable and out of stock in USA For ages. 

It's still available in Taiwan, but you have to use a proxy (like shopping mall japan) to have them buy It and then ship it to you.

I have two sets: the one from my YOTG which I have on my YOTM (since the YOTM stock caps completely suck) and a 2nd set I bought when they first appeared on MK.com, for my Nature White shine 5, but since I hate linears, I put them on my YOTG (as the original YOTG set is less worn and is on my YOTM).

I have this set coming from China already (hopefully it doesn't take more than a month) as I got bored and wanted to try this. and there is absolutely ZERO backlight bleed through the keys...zero.  A nice set if you can tolerate the fonts...

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=81342199799920&productId=32521595756

Here's my YOTM and YOTG. YOTM on the top.

looks MUCH better in person than in this 720p camera picture...

Ldp46i8.jpg[/img]

On ‎2017‎/‎01‎/‎07 at 5:42 AM, Falkentyne said:

Is that the Vortex PBT set?
I'm REALLY not a fan of that set.  There is simply far too much *Uneven* backlight bleed througho the keycaps and the switch outlines are far, far too visible.

The Ducky doubleshot white ABS "YOTG" Set looks far better, as the bleed is actually diffused much more evenly, even though there is still bleed, it looks far more like Saturday night fever disco, or an Arcade, rather than seeing switch housings under the keys.

The problem is, that set has been unavailable and out of stock in USA For ages. 

It's still available in Taiwan, but you have to use a proxy (like shopping mall japan) to have them buy It and then ship it to you.

I have two sets: the one from my YOTG which I have on my YOTM (since the YOTM stock caps completely suck) and a 2nd set I bought when they first appeared on MK.com, for my Nature White shine 5, but since I hate linears, I put them on my YOTG (as the original YOTG set is less worn and is on my YOTM).

I have this set coming from China already (hopefully it doesn't take more than a month) as I got bored and wanted to try this. and there is absolutely ZERO backlight bleed through the keys...zero.  A nice set if you can tolerate the fonts...

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=81342199799920&productId=32521595756

Here's my YOTM and YOTG. YOTM on the top.

looks MUCH better in person than in this 720p camera picture...

PLdp46i8.jpg[/img]

yes it is the vortex keycap set from Mechanical keyboards  and although it might be a bit uneven lighting wise - it's so minor that it hasn't bother me in the slightest - Overall the PBT feels very nice to type on but there is one drawback - the PBT keycaps are slightly heavier than the normal ABS that the keyboard ships on so it kind of changes the response feel of the keys - they feel a little sluggish with the PBT keycaps - but the feeling on the fingertips is better overall - still the PBT keycaps are wonderful - the joy of mechanical keyboards is that you can use the TBT for a few weeks and if u get a bit bored you can swap out the keycaps for the original ABS or anything else and use those for a awhile till u want to change again - it's a constant ongoing  trial and error experiment of joyful typing :)  One thing that I would like to stress is that the New speed ( Silver ) MX key  switches are my overall favorite of any other switch I've used to date - they take a few days to get used to the shorter travel but once u get the hang of it they surpass all other key switches - they feel very responsive and the shorter travel makes it really easy to type on  - although I've seen a few posts where people say the speed switches aren't great to type on I have to disagree - I find the speed switches Great to type on - far better than MX blue or Brown or Red -  but it's my personal view -

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

I just got the Gigabyte Force K85 as my first MKB some weeks ago and i love it so far. Would've loved a WASD keyboard or a Filco as i really like 104/105 key keyboards, but the Gigabyte was only 79€ so i had to get it over them. Not regretting it, though i'm planning on building my own 104/105 keyboard soon, just because.. MKB endgame. :D

Right now i know that i'll need a teensy, switches, keycaps, wires, a baseplate, a case and some LEDs.. anything i'm missing?

Also, is it possible to have the european qwertz layout (ISO i think it is?) which usually have that large spacebar in the same layout as the typical qwerty (ANSI, right?) ? Just looks better imho.

I am actually going to be purchasing my first Mechanical Keyboard very soon, but I am not sure which one I should purchase. I am mainly between this keyboard: Leopold FC750R Black PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Cherry MX) or a ducky shine 3 from this sight http://www.rumahgamer.com/ it is not an American/Canadian website and usesa different currency labeled as "IDR." Through the checkout system you can check the USA and your state so I'm guessing the currency will convert. I really like the Ducky's case, but I am not interested in having any LED lightning and I am planning on just adding a few keycaps. I also believe Mechanicalkeyboards.com would be more reliable then this foreign site. It is a weird question to ask but any thoughts or recommendations?

On 13/01/2017 at 10:09 PM, Andriew said:

I am actually going to be purchasing my first Mechanical Keyboard very soon, but I am not sure which one I should purchase. I am mainly between this keyboard: Leopold FC750R Black PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Cherry MX) or a ducky shine 3 from this sight http://www.rumahgamer.com/ it is not an American/Canadian website and usesa different currency labeled as "IDR." Through the checkout system you can check the USA and your state so I'm guessing the currency will convert. I really like the Ducky's case, but I am not interested in having any LED lightning and I am planning on just adding a few keycaps. I also believe Mechanicalkeyboards.com would be more reliable then this foreign site. It is a weird question to ask but any thoughts or recommendations?

go for something you can identify as reliable and know the actual currency... I don't know where IDR is used but I sure don't want to see the conversion rate, probably 100$ USD for 1 IDR... I dunno, just making it up but really... go with MK.com, you won't regret it.

On November 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Technicolors said:

I got my MK Disco today, and it's a pure joy to use. The TKL format will take some time to get used to but this keyboard is so tiny! also regained some space for my mouse. might have to get a wrist rest though 

I've used the G710+ beforehand and it had cherry brown switches, so i opted for browns again. the KBT switches the MK Disco uses legitimately feels smoother and lighter than the cherry browns. also the bottoming out is not as noisy as the G710+ 

Are the KBT swithes good? Any other thoughts on the keyboard? I've been looking at it for a while, but I wanted an opinion before buying soemthing.

just me or the MX speed switches feel quite different to reds? they activate alot faster and has a less linear travel? 

I just swapped the keycaps on my keyboard with PBT caps. the material feels a lot nicer, a bit more pleasing to type now. also they shine far better than the double-shot caps. RGB looks fantastic now! i found the previous double-shot caps tend to not shine as well on certain legends, but the PBT caps shine completely through. 

14 hours ago, Technicolors said:

I just swapped the keycaps on my keyboard with PBT caps. the material feels a lot nicer, a bit more pleasing to type now. also they shine far better than the double-shot caps. RGB looks fantastic now! i found the previous double-shot caps tend to not shine as well on certain legends, but the PBT caps shine completely through. 

The part that shines through would be the POM used in the double shot process, they don't make translucent PBT :)

Did you get the Vortex PBT/POM doubleshot caps? I've found that there are a few different textures of PBT out there. Some is very roughly textured, and others are textured, but nice and smooth (similar to a wet sanded boat hull, if you've ever felt one of those.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yeah I got the Vortex PBT/POM caps. they're rougher than the previous TBT caps, but not that rough. 

On 1/19/2017 at 5:15 PM, Chubbybunny said:

just me or the MX speed switches feel quite different to reds? they activate alot faster and has a less linear travel? 

that is literally what speed switches are lol

13 hours ago, Technicolors said:

So I saw this newly-released keyboard series by MK..

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2098

they've got both Clear and Milk switches with white LEDs, but don't cost a fortune. though the only bit that annoys me is the RGB light bar (K95 Platinum perhaps!?) H

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

13 hours ago, Technicolors said:

So I saw this newly-released keyboard series by MK..

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2098

they've got both Clear and Milk switches with white LEDs, but don't cost a fortune. though the only bit that annoys me is the RGB light bar (K95 Platinum perhaps!?) 

Honestly, when I saw the new K95, i looooved it!

The k series of keyboards by corsair never had much lights, because of the brushed aluminum, they could light as much as lets say razer keyboards. This gives much more light to the keyboard.

Soo, that keyboard you quoted seems reeeeealy good, especially for the price.

Project "Transcend": i7 7700k-R9 380 4GB by MSi, Z170-HD3P

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $453 ($123 with sales)
  • Games owned: 76
  • Games not played: 40 (53%)
  • Hours on record: 667.0h

My pok3r rgb came in yesterday and I absolutely love it. The clickyness of blue switches are so satisfying. I'm coming from black switches so it's going to take some time to get accustomed to it.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250