Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 8/29/2016 at 0:41 AM, GamerDude said:

My oh my, RF and HHKB keyboards plus HD800 and HD600, if you're dabbling with both keyboards and cans, you're in a world of hurt.

It's great to see the KB community still going strong......I'm afraid I've more or less given up buying new keyboards in favor of cans. I still have >20 keyboards (6 of which are Topre) and have trimmed my collection of cans to 15, wished I'd not stuck my nose into the audiophile world though, it got real expensive real fast!

I got into that world of hurt.

Good news, more time to work on my keyboard now, finished my nixie clock

20160830_151917.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It works! It works! Its worked! Its in bits! Why the hell have I decided to desolder the switches and put new ones on!

It currently has got Black Alps switches but I just love the click of the Salmon Alps switches! So I am not desoldering the switches from the board and putting a load of Salmon switches from a donor board onto it!

4 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

It works! It works! Its worked! Its in bits! Why the hell have I decided to desolder the switches and put new ones on!

It currently has got Black Alps switches but I just love the click of the Salmon Alps switches! So I am not desoldering the switches from the board and putting a load of Salmon switches from a donor board onto it!

So you are desoldering and putting clicky alps in?

5 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

So you are desoldering and putting click alps in?

Gg mobile forum... I didn't even try to submit the post again

3 minutes ago, Charger said:

Yes, but putting clicker ones in. The blacks have got a nice click to them, but the Salmons have just got this click which I cannot live without! So a desoldering job is being undertaken to swap them over...

3 minutes ago, Charger said:

Yes, but putting clicker ones in. The blacks have got a nice click to them, but the Salmons have just got this click which I cannot live without! So a desoldering job is being undertaken to swap them over...

1 minute ago, the pokemon kid said:

Nice. I have not really used alps but do you know how matias alps compare? Oddly I bought alps caps but dont own a single alps board lol

14 minutes ago, Charger said:

Nice. I have not really used alps but do you know how matias alps compare? Oddly I bought alps caps but dont own a single alps board lol

I dont know how they compare to matias. I know that Matias are using the same design but are know as the "cheaper" quality switch. I could compare them to MX blues. They are much smoother and the click sounds and feels nicer! Its hard to explain unless you try them yourself!

Salmons have got the weight of a MX blue but the click of a MX green and the smoothness of a MX red. They just feel great!

38 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

I dont know how they compare to matias. I know that Matias are using the same design but are know as the "cheaper" quality switch. I could compare them to MX blues. They are much smoother and the click sounds and feels nicer! Its hard to explain unless you try them yourself!

Salmons have got the weight of a MX blue but the click of a MX green and the smoothness of a MX red. They just feel great!

If you think that salmon feels good, wait until you get your hands on blue alps. You'll never have money again what with all the money you'll spend on those damn switches. 

41 minutes ago, Charger said:

Matias switches are pretty nice, and they're a decently authentic analog to the vintage switches. Other than the actual switch leaves, everything is compatible with vintage alps (you could put blue sliders an clickers in an alps board if you wanted to!)

I really like matias switches because they're super cheap, and they feel pretty darn good. Sometimes they can be a bit of a PITA if you're not nice to them when you're soldering though, so if you build a board with them, make sure to use a hot iron so that you don't have to leave it on the pcb for so long.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

6 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

If you think that salmon feels good, wait until you get your hands on blue alps. You'll never have money again what with all the money you'll spend on those damn switches. 

Matias switches are pretty nice, and they're a decently authentic analog to the vintage switches. Other than the actual switch leaves, everything is compatible with vintage alps (you could put blue sliders an clickers in an alps board if you wanted to!)

I really like matias switches because they're super cheap, and they feel pretty darn good. Sometimes they can be a bit of a PITA if you're not nice to them when you're soldering though, so if you build a board with them, make sure to use a hot iron so that you don't have to leave it on the pcb for so long.

not really a problem seeing as I don't tend to use PCBs for keyboard builds at least if it is for myself that is. Also not sure of any good PCBs that take alps to begin with.

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I have just been handed a board by a friend. He bought it at the boot sales for £2! IT HAS GOT MONTEREY BLUE ALPS SWITCHS!!!!! :D

23 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

I have just been handed a board by a friend. He bought it at the boot sales for £2! IT HAS GOT MONTEREY BLUE ALPS SWITCHS!!!!! :D

Monterey blue switches are not the same as blue alps. good find nonetheless!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 hours ago, Charger said:

not really a problem seeing as I don't tend to use PCBs for keyboard builds at least if it is for myself that is. Also not sure of any good PCBs that take alps to begin with.

ergodox and olkb pcbs all should support alps, if you want to go that route.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

Monterey blue switches are not the same as blue alps. good find nonetheless!

They aren't but the are awesome!

Do you know of anywhere I can buy a PCB which supports alps? Most likely in TKL layout? Does GON's NERD TKL support them?

I want to take them off as its an old Chinoy keyboard and has a rollerballs mouse thing on the board itself...

18 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

They aren't but the are awesome!

Do you know of anywhere I can buy a PCB which supports alps? Most likely in TKL layout? Does GON's NERD TKL support them?

I want to take them off as its an old Chinoy keyboard and has a rollerballs mouse thing on the board itself...

gons is cheery only i think

1 hour ago, Charger said:

gons is cheery only i think

I have emailed GON just to confirm as there was discussion on GH about GON creating an Alps version of the Nerd and if they did make it, if he has any spare or is looking to do another group buy...

3 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

I have emailed GON just to confirm as there was discussion on GH about GON creating an Alps version of the Nerd and if they did make it, if he has any spare or is looking to do another group buy...

gon boards are cherry only source: I've built three.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

8 minutes ago, Charger said:

have you tried his wireless add on board?

sadly no. I had plans for one, but i sold that board

Hey! New SIgnature! 

8 hours ago, Enz0man said:

Speaking of click, I got something in the mail today xD

Model F XT

DSC04576.JPG

Oooo, that looks nice!

I have just put the top shell of mine out in the sun. I have covered it in Hydrogen Peroxide and going to see if I can lighten it up a bit as its a little yellow...

2016-09-01 12.12.56.jpg

2016-09-01 12.12.56.jpg

2 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Oooo, that looks nice!

I have just put the top shell of mine out in the sun. I have covered it in Hydrogen Peroxide and going to see if I can lighten it up a bit as its a little yellow...

only model fs im interested in are the kishsavers

Well, I got a new board in today. I'm super excited for it, as it's got some switches that I've been wanting to put in a board forever; Zealistotles. The best kind of clicky switch.

I'll be sure to get some better photos of it later, this is just a quick couple of photos of the board. 

I bought it from an Australian! :)

tefqMeS.jpgxY901YY.jpg

Hey! New SIgnature! 

23 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Well, I got a new board in today. I'm super excited for it, as it's got some switches that I've been wanting to put in a board forever; Zealistotles. The best kind of clicky switch.

I'll be sure to get some better photos of it later, this is just a quick couple of photos of the board. 

I bought it from an Australian! :)

Nice board! I like the carbon fibre plate! How come the keys look a little out of place on the right? They dont look completely straight...

17 hours ago, Enz0man said:

Speaking of click, I got something in the mail today xD

Model F XT

DSC04576.JPG

DSC04576.JPG

I got 4 on craiglist for $80 total. I win.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."