Find results in...
Dave :)

Mechanical Keyboard Club!

13 hours ago, spwath said:

Look what i just scored for $80 total.

[image]

Thats right. 4 Model F's...

But how?! :o

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.

On 1/2/2013 at 7:44 PM, Dave :) said:

Hello all,

Thought i should get in early and create a central hub for all us Keyboard enthusiasts to congregate.
For those who don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, here is a quick, very brief outline.

On a regular rubber dome keyboard, ones you generally find in Schools, work places etc, under each key is rubber dome. When pressed, this rubber dome is pressed down, making contact with the underlying membrane, transferring the electrical impulse through the circuitry and thus telling the computer what button has been pressed.

A mechanical keyboard, on the otherhand, doesn't have such a set up. Instead, underneath each key is an individual switch. When pressed, this switch is forced down, connecting the contact and transferring electrical impulse. The advantages of using a mechanical switch are quite strong, firstly it provides a much more tactile and wholesome feedback, good for telling the user when they have actuated the key. This allows the user, when they have got used to it, to type at a much faster rate as they know the feeling of when they have typed a letter, and thus can increase their word count. Also, mechanical keyboards allow for NKRO, or N-key roll over. Basically this means that the user can press down as many keys as they like, the computer will register all the key strokes. With a membrane board, there is a limit.

For a much more in depth talk, check out Linus' video on Mechanical keyboards.

There are many, many switch variants out there. However the ones you are most likely to come across are: Cherry MX switches. These come in a variety of names, denoted by their colour. Each switch feels slightly different, and provides the user with different reasons to use a switch.

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.
Cherry MX Browns: Tactile, non-clicky. - Good gaming and typing due to their quietness, but still maintaining the tactile feedback (you can feel a bump when you press the key)
Cherry MX Reds: Linear, non-clicky - Good for gaming, similar to Membrane in linear motion; no bump as it's not tactile.
Cherry MX Blacks : Linear, non-clicky. - Similar to MX Reds, slightly heavier

There are many other variants of the Cherry MX line up, however these are the main constituents which filtrate into the mainstream market.

Simply post what Keyboard you're running, what switch type, TKL or not, and any other mods you've done to it.

Here is my Filco Majestouch 2 TKL:
900x900px-LL-b1b9eb9f_IMG_0907.jpeg

IMG_0216.JPG

2 minutes ago, BaconPersuasion said:

Can you teach my how to ducky?

I will teach you my ways.

5fFcP8r.jpg

Oh yeah... These silicone keycaps also don't have bracing so I now have a use for these 3mm O-rings lol. 

I got around to putting them on the some of the modifiers and see more problems. Pretty much anything over the 1u caps the twisting and bending of the cap becomes noticable since I don't hit the keys dead center where switch is.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

10 hours ago, kungpaogao said:

But how?! :o

Middle aged man with his shirt unbuttoned

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 8/15/2016 at 7:54 PM, Doggo6000 said:

I have been using a membrane keyboard and I have heard that cherry mx reds are good for gaming. I am thinking of getting a STRAFE RGB Mechanical gaming keyboard, here's a link to it, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent . I would like to hear any recommendations whether it be a different type of switch or a different keyboard. thx (:

I tried that as my first mechanical keyboard and it was horrible. The keys were pretty quiet but extremely mushy and the travel distance wasn't very much. I have had better feedback, travel distance and feel from membrane keyboards. I have since been using a G710+ brown keyboard and it's getting there. It sure isn't perfect since it's not as tactile as blues but I like how the browns are quieter (o-rings are preinstalled.) I wish they made a G710+ RGB. I miss that from the strafe. The white lighting is fine the on the 710+. Like many other keyboards the secondary symbol keys aren't lit up since they put the led at the top of the switch :/ . 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

anyone know if there are any tenkeyless (or compact) wireless keyboards with mx browns or switches that feel like mx browns? please leave a link if you find one! :)

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and two Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Ultra Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL with stitched edge Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

I feel like we're in a mechanical keyboard bubble. Just more and more manufacturers jumping in and prices are sky high. 

The question is, when does the bubble burst? I think sooner than later since unlike other bubbles like tablets, there's really not much more to look forward to, other than the switch up to optical switches. It's not like new games come out requiring faster keyboards or keyboards with new processors and more memory.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

I can't see a reason to ever change my new K70 Rapidfire RGB... unless one comes out with better lighting (the white for example is terrible). Also when I choose a light colour, I can see the reflection of the 3 LED diodes on some of the keys and it's annoying lol

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.4 all core | MSI B450 GAMING Pro Carbon | Team Dark Pro 16GB 3200mhz CL14 | Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super @2145mhz | Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVME | Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD | Be Quiet Straight Power 10 CM 600W Gold | Fractal Design Meshify C |  AOC 24G2 1080p 144hz IPS |  AKG K7XX + Modmic 4.0 |

Other Tech: 2018 iPad  &  2019 iPhone 11 Pro

So I just joined the club with my G410 Atlas Spectrum.

So far pretty satisfied with the purchase. :) 

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X Motherboard: ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:51 AM, spwath said:

Middle aged man with his shirt unbuttoned

So *that's* the secret to getting killer deals on keyboards...

On 8/17/2016 at 5:32 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

anyone know if there are any tenkeyless (or compact) wireless keyboards with mx browns or switches that feel like mx browns? please leave a link if you find one! :)

There's the Varmilo VB87, or whatever that appears on massdrop occasionally. I would try to pick one up used, but good luck doing that, they're in pretty high demand.

On 8/19/2016 at 7:40 AM, dtaflorida said:

I feel like we're in a mechanical keyboard bubble. Just more and more manufacturers jumping in and prices are sky high. 

The question is, when does the bubble burst? I think sooner than later since unlike other bubbles like tablets, there's really not much more to look forward to, other than the switch up to optical switches. It's not like new games come out requiring faster keyboards or keyboards with new processors and more memory.

I think the Wooting concept of analog switches is pretty interesting, or the adjustable actuation points on topre boards. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole optical switch thing, because they're one of those things that has a VERY finite life span. Those LEDs are not going to last as long as a good old fashioned mechanical switch, and it's not like keyboard response time plays that big of a role in games in the first place. (as you've already said)

I imagine you'd also have some trouble with certain backlighting colors because they run off of LEDs...

On 8/19/2016 at 7:50 AM, iiNNeX said:

I can't see a reason to ever change my new K70 Rapidfire RGB... unless one comes out with better lighting (the white for example is terrible). Also when I choose a light colour, I can see the reflection of the 3 LED diodes on some of the keys and it's annoying lol

Well, until the LEDs die, anyway.

That's the trouble with RGB (as good as it looks); there's no good way to get really good whites, or some other colors (like purple), without adding a bunch more diodes, but that would make the leds enormous.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

So *that's* the secret to getting killer deals on keyboards...

There's the Varmilo VB87, or whatever that appears on massdrop occasionally. I would try to pick one up used, but good luck doing that, they're in pretty high demand.

I think the Wooting concept of analog switches is pretty interesting, or the adjustable actuation points on topre boards. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole optical switch thing, because they're one of those things that has a VERY finite life span. Those LEDs are not going to last as long as a good old fashioned mechanical switch, and it's not like keyboard response time plays that big of a role in games in the first place. (as you've already said)

I imagine you'd also have some trouble with certain backlighting colors because they run off of LEDs...

Well, until the LEDs die, anyway.

That's the trouble with RGB (as good as it looks); there's no good way to get really good whites, or some other colors (like purple), without adding a bunch more diodes, but that would make the leds enormous.

Yeah, was some pale man with his shirt unbuttoned I bought them from.

Still can't believe 4 model f's for  $80.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 hours ago, spwath said:

Yeah, was some pale man with his shirt unbuttoned I bought them from.

Still can't believe 4 model f's for  $80.

Yeah, that's a pretty insane deal.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

My latest purchases. A KÛL ES-87 with tactile Zealio switches (65g) bought on r/mechmarket and a new top case to go with it. :D

0RoH3RV.jpg

• KÛL ES-87 w/ tactile Zealios (65g)
  • Vortex doubleshot PBT White & Blue keyset (OEM)
  • GMK - Cyan, Purple and Blue Esc caps on the PrtScreen, ScrLock and Pause keys
  • Royal Slate Sabre (KeyForge) on the Escape

One last shot of the board "nude" / without the top case:

PWgyzLi.jpg

6 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

My latest purchases. A KÛL ES-87 with tactile Zealio switches (65g) bought on r/mechmarket and a new top case to go with it. :D

0RoH3RV.jpg

• KÛL ES-87 w/ tactile Zealios (65g)
  • Vortex doubleshot PBT White & Blue keyset (OEM)
  • GMK - Cyan, Purple and Blue Esc caps on the PrtScreen, ScrLock and Pause keys
  • Royal Slate Sabre (KeyForge) on the Escape

One last shot of the board "nude" / without the top case:

PWgyzLi.jpg

Cool! I saw your post on reddit!

That blue case looks really good! In the photos, it almost looks like some anodized aluminum.

I finally got my Monarch working, after nearly a year of my messing with it. Unfortunately, I had to kill about $160 worth of Blue alps switches getting this thing working... That was sad. I think I'll get a retro Blue ALPS board some time here, and just keep that thing stock. (The person that sold me the blue ALPS switches did a terrible job of pulling them, and ended up breaking several of them, which I didn't notice until I had already built the board. That meant that I had to remove all of them...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

The Monarch is done! After almost a year of trying to get those Blue ALPS working, I gave up and destroyed about $200 worth of switches last night, in order to get the Matias reds in here. BUT, it's working now, so that's a huge plus!!!

Anyway, the board is awesome, and totally rock solid!!!

a8sYeDf.jpg

qYSHVn3.jpg

Hey! New SIgnature! 

On 8/15/2016 at 9:34 AM, spwath said:

Look what i just scored for $80 total.

Thats right. 4 Model F's...

Oh my...

I'm not jealous at all... 

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man

8 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Cool! I saw your post on reddit!

That blue case looks really good! In the photos, it almost looks like some anodized aluminum.

I finally got my Monarch working, after nearly a year of my messing with it. Unfortunately, I had to kill about $160 worth of Blue alps switches getting this thing working... That was sad. I think I'll get a retro Blue ALPS board some time here, and just keep that thing stock. (The person that sold me the blue ALPS switches did a terrible job of pulling them, and ended up breaking several of them, which I didn't notice until I had already built the board. That meant that I had to remove all of them...)

Thanks. Yeah, although the case is all plastic and not aluminum the way it's painted kinda makes it shine a little different under certain lighthing angles.

Your Monarch looks sweet too! I like how the numpad section is located on the left, it's very unusual but nice to see.

How are the Matias Reds? Do you like them so far? :)

I'm using the MechanicalEagle Z-77 with some type of knock-off MX Blue switches. I had been typing on a $10 wireless keyboard for a long time, this one feels amazing in comparison. And the sound it makes while typing is magical.

K70 MX Silent was on sale... and I'd been waiting for a deal good enough to warrant playing with the SDK.

Now that I have it... fail... even the original software can't store lighting animation to the onboard profiles. Dynamic lighting controlled by software directly, which can't cross the windows security (Windows Locked) that I wanted.

Freakin face palm. Waste of time an money, at least for me... 

Maybe I'll find some other use for it... I dunno... what other system events I really care about other than lock/logon. Guess I could listen for active windows and set dynamic lighting per program...

Some other guys are converting images into keyboard lighting... maybe can play a movie on the keyboard for fun. More like a long gif file... yeah that sounds like fun. Time to find some interesting tiny gifs... fortunately since gifs are often used for profile avatars there's a good amount of them.