Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

So *that's* the secret to getting killer deals on keyboards...

There's the Varmilo VB87, or whatever that appears on massdrop occasionally. I would try to pick one up used, but good luck doing that, they're in pretty high demand.

I think the Wooting concept of analog switches is pretty interesting, or the adjustable actuation points on topre boards. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole optical switch thing, because they're one of those things that has a VERY finite life span. Those LEDs are not going to last as long as a good old fashioned mechanical switch, and it's not like keyboard response time plays that big of a role in games in the first place. (as you've already said)

I imagine you'd also have some trouble with certain backlighting colors because they run off of LEDs...

Well, until the LEDs die, anyway.

That's the trouble with RGB (as good as it looks); there's no good way to get really good whites, or some other colors (like purple), without adding a bunch more diodes, but that would make the leds enormous.

Yeah, was some pale man with his shirt unbuttoned I bought them from.

Still can't believe 4 model f's for  $80.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 hours ago, spwath said:

Yeah, that's a pretty insane deal.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

5 hours ago, spwath said:

if its not a kish I dont care about a model f

My latest purchases. A KÛL ES-87 with tactile Zealio switches (65g) bought on r/mechmarket and a new top case to go with it. :D

0RoH3RV.jpg

• KÛL ES-87 w/ tactile Zealios (65g)
  • Vortex doubleshot PBT White & Blue keyset (OEM)
  • GMK - Cyan, Purple and Blue Esc caps on the PrtScreen, ScrLock and Pause keys
  • Royal Slate Sabre (KeyForge) on the Escape

One last shot of the board "nude" / without the top case:

PWgyzLi.jpg

6 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

My latest purchases. A KÛL ES-87 with tactile Zealio switches (65g) bought on r/mechmarket and a new top case to go with it. :D

0RoH3RV.jpg

• KÛL ES-87 w/ tactile Zealios (65g)
  • Vortex doubleshot PBT White & Blue keyset (OEM)
  • GMK - Cyan, Purple and Blue Esc caps on the PrtScreen, ScrLock and Pause keys
  • Royal Slate Sabre (KeyForge) on the Escape

One last shot of the board "nude" / without the top case:

PWgyzLi.jpg

Cool! I saw your post on reddit!

That blue case looks really good! In the photos, it almost looks like some anodized aluminum.

I finally got my Monarch working, after nearly a year of my messing with it. Unfortunately, I had to kill about $160 worth of Blue alps switches getting this thing working... That was sad. I think I'll get a retro Blue ALPS board some time here, and just keep that thing stock. (The person that sold me the blue ALPS switches did a terrible job of pulling them, and ended up breaking several of them, which I didn't notice until I had already built the board. That meant that I had to remove all of them...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The Monarch is done! After almost a year of trying to get those Blue ALPS working, I gave up and destroyed about $200 worth of switches last night, in order to get the Matias reds in here. BUT, it's working now, so that's a huge plus!!!

Anyway, the board is awesome, and totally rock solid!!!

a8sYeDf.jpg

qYSHVn3.jpg

Hey! New SIgnature! 

On 8/15/2016 at 9:34 AM, spwath said:

Look what i just scored for $80 total.

Thats right. 4 Model F's...

Oh my...

I'm not jealous at all... 

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man

8 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Cool! I saw your post on reddit!

That blue case looks really good! In the photos, it almost looks like some anodized aluminum.

I finally got my Monarch working, after nearly a year of my messing with it. Unfortunately, I had to kill about $160 worth of Blue alps switches getting this thing working... That was sad. I think I'll get a retro Blue ALPS board some time here, and just keep that thing stock. (The person that sold me the blue ALPS switches did a terrible job of pulling them, and ended up breaking several of them, which I didn't notice until I had already built the board. That meant that I had to remove all of them...)

Thanks. Yeah, although the case is all plastic and not aluminum the way it's painted kinda makes it shine a little different under certain lighthing angles.

Your Monarch looks sweet too! I like how the numpad section is located on the left, it's very unusual but nice to see.

How are the Matias Reds? Do you like them so far? :)

I'm using the MechanicalEagle Z-77 with some type of knock-off MX Blue switches. I had been typing on a $10 wireless keyboard for a long time, this one feels amazing in comparison. And the sound it makes while typing is magical.

K70 MX Silent was on sale... and I'd been waiting for a deal good enough to warrant playing with the SDK.

Now that I have it... fail... even the original software can't store lighting animation to the onboard profiles. Dynamic lighting controlled by software directly, which can't cross the windows security (Windows Locked) that I wanted.

Freakin face palm. Waste of time an money, at least for me... 

Maybe I'll find some other use for it... I dunno... what other system events I really care about other than lock/logon. Guess I could listen for active windows and set dynamic lighting per program...

Some other guys are converting images into keyboard lighting... maybe can play a movie on the keyboard for fun. More like a long gif file... yeah that sounds like fun. Time to find some interesting tiny gifs... fortunately since gifs are often used for profile avatars there's a good amount of them.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

7 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

Thanks. Yeah, although the case is all plastic and not aluminum the way it's painted kinda makes it shine a little different under certain lighthing angles.

Your Monarch looks sweet too! I like how the numpad section is located on the left, it's very unusual but nice to see.

How are the Matias Reds? Do you like them so far? :)

I like them pretty well! They have a weird bottom out though. The leaf kinda falls away from the stem at the bottom of the stroke, so they bottom out kinda like a rubber dome at the last .5mm or so. It's really an interesting feeling. Unfortunately, they don't really compare with the blues as far as feel is concerned, but at least the board works now.

It's pretty cool because the plates on the top and bottom are cerakoted, which is a really interesting feel!

I particularly like the numpad on the left, since I'm left handed (but I mouse with my right hand, like most people). So it's the perfect placement for it. Only issue with the final version of the monarch was that the numpad enter key is about 1mm too far up, so it occasionally conflicts with the plus key on the numpad.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

13 hours ago, Overkilled said:

I thought I'd share my humble E-Element 87

12435005_595493840602614_1334414839_o.jpg

Looking good. :)

Which switches do it have? Outemu?

Well... I ended up finding the Mini USB connectors I needed... However I also might of "accidentally" bought another Mechanical keyboard! Its a little older one but its a White alps board! Got myself the Dell AT102W. Currently it looks pretty dirty, so I have got some cleaner stuff coming and I am also borrowing some Hydrogen Peroxide to turn the outer finish look like new! I cant wait!!!

3 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

Well... I ended up finding the Mini USB connectors I needed... However I also might of "accidentally" bought another Mechanical keyboard! Its a little older one but its a White alps board! Got myself the Dell AT102W. Currently it looks pretty dirty, so I have got some cleaner stuff coming and I am also borrowing some Hydrogen Peroxide to turn the outer finish look like new! I cant wait!!!

shopping for a usb connector and buy a keyboard? that sounds like you took shopping advice from @TheProfosist lol

1 minute ago, Charger said:

shopping for a usb connector and buy a keyboard? that sounds like you took shopping advice from @TheProfosist lol

It came up in the recommend section and next minute I am at the paypal checkout... Sorta blanked out everything in between!

Was a decent bargain though!

On 16/08/2016 at 2:54 AM, Doggo6000 said:

I have been using a membrane keyboard and I have heard that cherry mx reds are good for gaming. I am thinking of getting a STRAFE RGB Mechanical gaming keyboard, here's a link to it, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent . I would like to hear any recommendations whether it be a different type of switch or a different keyboard. thx (:

A) what games do you play

B) what features do you care most about

- snip-

On 22/08/2016 at 4:05 AM, KaminKevCrew said:

The Monarch is done! After almost a year of trying to get those Blue ALPS working, I gave up and destroyed about $200 worth of switches last night, in order to get the Matias reds in here. BUT, it's working now, so that's a huge plus!!!

Anyway, the board is awesome, and totally rock solid!!!

a8sYeDf.jpg

qYSHVn3.jpg

My mind completely broke for the first ten seconds of looking at that. 

1: why pink? 

2: why numpad there

3: I just need to reboot. I'll be back soon. 

- snip-

15 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

My mind completely broke for the first ten seconds of looking at that. 

1: why pink? 

2: why numpad there

3: I just need to reboot. I'll be back soon. 

i will make some guesses... 

1: why pink? Why not pink?

2: why numpad there? maybe left handed or may just want it taking up less space on the right side of the keyboard for something that they do not use that often.

9 hours ago, Charger said:

i will make some guesses... 

1: why pink? Why not pink?

2: why numpad there? maybe left handed or may just want it taking up less space on the right side of the keyboard for something that they do not use that often.

Yeah. After rebooted I looked again and it's a actually a very nice layout. Especially if the numpad can also bind macros. I'd have F keys, but that's just me. 

- snip-

Made myself a custom male Mini USB to male USB-A connector from Scratch and then Sleeved it using MDPC-X! Came out really nicely! I also bought myself a Mr.Reaper from K3KC which I am going to dye slightly darker! This is all for the arrival of my Royal Navy Keycap set from MechSupply!

28619135064_21188368ce_b.jpg

Mr.Reaper and Custom Cable by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

9 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Yeah. After rebooted I looked again and it's a actually a very nice layout. Especially if the numpad can also bind macros. I'd have F keys, but that's just me. 

i currently use this as my main keyboard so I cant complain about missing f keys lol

WWq4Kj1h.jpg

4 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Made myself a custom male Mini USB to male USB-A connector from Scratch and then Sleeved it using MDPC-X! Came out really nicely! I also bought myself a Mr.Reaper from K3KC which I am going to dye slightly darker! This is all for the arrival of my Royal Navy Keycap set from MechSupply!

28619135064_21188368ce_b.jpg

Mr.Reaper and Custom Cable by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

That cable came out very nice. Pretty thick, I also like the color. :)

The K3KC Reaper looks good aswell.

Post some pics of the keyboard with the new set, the Reaper and the cable after you have it all assembled please. :P

3 hours ago, Vox_Lusa said:

That cable came out very nice. Pretty thick, I also like the color. :)

The K3KC Reaper looks good aswell.

Post some pics of the keyboard with the new set, the Reaper and the cable after you have it all assembled please. :P

The cable was the thinnest I could get but ended up fairly thick! I am going to make another one which is slightly shorter as this cable is super long!

Yeh, dont worry there will be some pictures! Just got to waiting for the keycaps now!