Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

How old do switches have to be to be vintage?

lol no real clear time from what I know maybe somewhere around the early 90s but mine came off a wyse keyboard that the pcb was date coded 1985

Yeah that's about what I do as well, the earliest I'd go would be in the early 90s for browns since it's almost impossible to find a g80-5000 nowadays.

I have g80-11800, would that be vintage browns?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It's best to go off the literal model number on the label rather than the model class. Normally boards 92 and back have vintage switches but some newer boards can still contain vintage switches from back stocks. You can also just look at the placement of the logo on the switch to tell if it vintage or not. Vintage switches will have a wider cherry logo on it and depending on which type of switch normally a lighter color stem, for instance MX Blues.

Also to add, some people can get can pretty anal when it comes to "Vintage Browns" claiming that they only come from g80-5000 and the rest of just "old switches", so according to that I would technically have "old switches" but they still feel much better than new ones.

Also to add, some people can get can pretty anal when it comes to "Vintage Browns" claiming that they only come from g80-5000 and the rest of just "old switches", so according to that I would technically have "old switches" but they still feel much better than new ones.

ya I didn't know how bad new cherry switched felt at first because I made my first keyboard out of a used data 911 keyboard that had older switches and if nothing else was well used so it felt far better then the new switched I later got for other projects.

Heh, I guess I am finally a part of this lil thing. My mom ordered my Strafe this last weekend (red LEDs with Red switches). Kinda tired of using my Apex [RAW]. It's a nice-ish membrane, but the keys are getting louder which I can't have with my typing schedule. Shame since the spacebar is kinda comfy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Heh, I guess I am finally a part of this lil thing..

It's far bigger than you even know, I guarantee there is more to learn about customization for keyboards than there is computers. :lol:

It's far bigger than you even know, I guarantee there is more to learn about customization for keyboards than there is computers. :lol:

Eh... It's debatable. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Waikane from Originative here! Those would be pretty vintage, but the switches themselves aren't really known to have a vintage name like Cherry blacks would. Are your keycaps double-shotted?

Waikane from Originative here! Those would be pretty vintage, but the switches themselves aren't really known to have a vintage name like Cherry blacks would. Are your keycaps double-shotted?

I don't believe so, I'll check

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Heh, I guess I am finally a part of this lil thing. My mom ordered my Strafe this last weekend (red LEDs with Red switches). Kinda tired of using my Apex [RAW]. It's a nice-ish membrane, but the keys are getting louder which I can't have with my typing schedule. Shame since the spacebar is kinda comfy.

Not one of my favorite boards though its the only way to get the Cherry MX RGB Silent switches that I do like...

Not one of my favorite boards though its the only way to get the Cherry MX RGB Silent switches that I do like...

well get to desoldering them or just send me the board and I will do it so they can be put to good use.

I more or less got it since it matches my mouse, has Reds (which seem like they'll be my fave). I wouldn't have minded getting a K65 RGB, but that's a good deal more expensive. :/

Anything smaller than my Apex [RAW] at this point would be great. Thing is massive.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

How are those switches? 

well get to desoldering them or just send me the board and I will do it so they can be put to good use.

Speaking of desoldering, i should probably get a de solderer if i want to safely remove the switches from the sacrificial data911 keyboard, correct?

And how do they detatch from the plate?

i was able get  to a poseidon z for christmas i love it

yeah I do but my computers need to stop breaking first. We also need to research the plate a diffuser

How are those switches?

Nice but their reds which so they will be getting new springs. I like the dampening you can definitely tell its inside the switch and not some mod like an oring. Really the only noise on my keyboards after modding is on the way back up and this helps with that. Maybe I should do a quick sound test video before I rip it apart.

Speaking of desoldering, i should probably get a de solderer if i want to safely remove the switches from the sacrificial data911 keyboard, correct?

And how do they detatch from the plate?

I have a Hakko 808 but its been discontinued for a year or two now. I think they replaced it though...

yeah I do but my computers need to stop breaking first. We also need to research the plate a diffuser

Nice but their reds which so they will be getting new springs. I like the dampening you can definitely tell its inside the switch and not some mod like an oring. Really the only noise on my keyboards after modding is on the way back up and this helps with that. Maybe I should do a quick sound test video before I rip it apart.

I have a Hakko 808 but its been discontinued for a year or two now. I think they replaced it though...

you are an rma center there is no stop breaking for you. As for the diffuser that is far lower on the list when you need a plate first since the diffuser could be added later

@spwath doesn't need anything like a hakko 808 just a cheap soldering iron and a cheap desoldering pump

you are an rma center there is no stop breaking for you. As for the diffuser that is far lower on the list when you need a plate first since the diffuser could be added later

@spwath doesn't need anything like a hakko 808 just a cheap soldering iron and a cheap desoldering pump

umm did you get the update on the caps cause who knows when those are actually going to show. Id like to just do it all in one go.

Ah yeah grab a Edsyn Soldapullt http://goo.gl/Lt5cNN

For one handed use the challenger is great

normal: http://goo.gl/Y1RS7B

pico tip: http://goo.gl/Ew51TD

@spwath You can get them direct or I pick up most of my soldering tools from All-Spec.

umm did you get the update on the caps cause who knows when those are actually going to show. Id like to just do it all in one go.

@spwath You can get them direct or I pick up most of my soldering tools from All-Spec.

last think I saw about that caps was acting like they should be shipping soonTM

Links don't work

Links don't work

They work fine for me.

just tested them again they do indeed work fine....