Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Received my keyboard from massdrop last monday. I got the Varmilo VA87M with grey keycaps and cherry mx tactile grey switches. I have owned browns, clears, reds, and now these. These switches are by far the best. I do however need to replace the window's key with linux ones.

Greys? You're mad! (In a 100% positive and mechanical kind of way) Were clears really too light for you? At this rate you'll end up wanting superblacks  :P

And it's nice to see a fellow linux user (though I've been away for a couple years now for varying reasons...mainly waiting on a bit more polish and game support)

Part two of the build!

I got the Keyboard plate through and I have prepped and given it a coat of primer!

16436333073_f279543313_z.jpg

Custom Phantom Keyboard Part 2 by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Now a coat of Satin silver!

17030477736_9b302bce52_z.jpg

Here is a birds eye shot of the keyboard and its layout!

17055632081_f8bc6973f8_z.jpg

Here is a nice side shot of the aluminium case and the switch layout!

17056427765_6ab9c080d6_z.jpg

A nice tasty closeup of the switches!

16868620318_d1c3f53040_z.jpg

Some more photos of the finished board to come! Still waiting on the stabilisers!

I have a Roccat RYOS TKL with blue switches. I would've gone for the CM storm quickfire TK, but I wanted a tenkeyless with some macro functionality. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Will Barnes

Radeon Master Race Club Member

Greys? You're mad! (In a 100% positive and mechanical kind of way) Were clears really too light for you? At this rate you'll end up wanting superblacks  :P

And it's nice to see a fellow linux user (though I've been away for a couple years now for varying reasons...mainly waiting on a bit more polish and game support)

Super blacks sound kinda of nice. Those might be a pain to find. I think they may be bit heavy something around 100-110g would be about right :) A nice thing about heavy switches though is that they really help with accuracy. I can still push 105-110 wpm on my greys so it isn't like they slow me down any. There are getting to be more games on Linux now also. Not very many triple A titles yet, but it will get there hopefully. I have found that the indie games tend to be more fun anyways. When I do my next round of upgrades for my pc I am going to get a processor with vt-d support so I can run windows games are near native performance with out the need for windows :)

Part two of the build!

I got the Keyboard plate through and I have prepped and given it a coat of primer!

16436333073_f279543313_z.jpg

Now a coat of Satin silver!

17030477736_9b302bce52_z.jpg

Here is a birds eye shot of the keyboard and its layout!

17055632081_f8bc6973f8_z.jpg

Here is a nice side shot of the aluminium case and the switch layout!

17056427765_6ab9c080d6_z.jpg

A nice tasty closeup of the switches!

16868620318_d1c3f53040_z.jpg

Some more photos of the finished board to come! Still waiting on the stabilisers!

Wow very nice! How much did all of this cost without the case? I was considering doing this, but the case was more expensive than the keyboard i would get if i didnt go custom. Also any ideas on where to find cheaper cases? If that case is the same one on mechanicalkeyboards.com then i can not afford it.

Wow very nice! How much did all of this cost without the case? I was considering doing this, but the case was more expensive than the keyboard i would get if i didnt go custom. Also any ideas on where to find cheaper cases? If that case is the same one on mechanicalkeyboards.com then i can not afford it.

That's the Vortex aluminum TKL case for Filcos/Phantoms.

Mechanicalkeyboards sells them and the TEX aluminum cases, but I read where they are probably only going to be carrying the TEX cases in the future.

It is indeed the Vortex Aluminium case! It weighs a tonne!! The PCB was like $30ish and the controller was $30ish too. The diodes were 100 for £12 and the switches were about £50ish for all of them... 

You could look at creating a GON keyboard. They sell acrylic cases for these, the do also sell the PCB's too!

Mechanicalkeyboards sells them and the TEX aluminum cases, but I read where they are probably only going to be carrying the TEX cases in the future.

I have waited a while to buy the Vortex case, the only reason I waited so long was to see if the TEX cases came back into stock. I sent them an email and got no reply. They haven't been in stock for months...

pokemon kid] just a heads up that vortex case unless that have changed it is raw aluminum which is somewhat important to note if you get it anodized.

I did mine in red (see below), which I think turned out really well. I later rebuilt it for a friend and made a build log. Which reminds me you should start a full build log thread on your board.

Filco%20New%20Red%20on%20White%20Caps%20

Vortex should also fit the CM Storm QFR.

Oh also pokemon kid] umm you may no have a perfect fit with that plate as the case was designed with the Filco's standard plate in mind when had edges that are bent down. This allows the plate to support the PCB and prevent the PCB from touching the back of the case. With that plate especially your going to have to use some soft of filler behind the PCB to keep it from touch kinda how I did in my build log but for a different reason.

pokemon kid] just a heads up that vortex case unless that have changed it is raw aluminum which is somewhat important to note if you get it anodized.

I did mine in red (see below), which I think turned out really well. I later rebuilt it for a friend and made a build log. Which reminds me you should start a full build log thread on your board.

I wanted to get it in silver as it was anyways. I like the Mac'ish colour look :D

On White dragons video he says that the silver one is anodized silver. He even checks with a multimeter, I did the same with mine and the only spots I get any sort of conductivity is when I press into the screen holes...

Vortex should also fit the CM Storm QFR.

Oh also pokemon kid] umm you may no have a perfect fit with that plate as the case was designed with the Filco's standard plate in mind when had edges that are bent down. This allows the plate to support the PCB and prevent the PCB from touching the back of the case. With that plate especially your going to have to use some soft of filler behind the PCB to keep it from touch kinda how I did in my build log but for a different reason.

I can confirm that it does NOT fit the CM storm QFR-i. The Rapid-i Version is just too long to fit (Thats what she said).

The Phantom doesn't fit perfectly, but with some bluetack I have evened it out the wobble now! I am getting some electrical tape to put on the back of the PCB just for extra protection!

I would never miss a chance to make a few build threads just to show off :D

EDIT: Keycaps and stabilizers are saying they have been delivered!!!

I have waited a while to buy the Vortex case, the only reason I waited so long was to see if the TEX cases came back into stock. I sent them an email and got no reply. They haven't been in stock for months...

Yeah, the TEX cases have been out of stock for a while now.  They keep saying that they are in production.

I'm waiting on one myself, and really hope they get some new color options like a light grey.

Yeah, the TEX cases have been out of stock for a while now.  They keep saying that they are in production.

I'm waiting on one myself, and really hope they get some new color options like a light grey.

Well my next case is going to be a 60% case from Pexon :D

Have you thought about spraying it yourself or getting one professionally painted? I sprayed my plate and I quite enjoyed learning how to do it and doing it...

Well my next case is going to be a 60% case from Pexon :D

Have you thought about spraying it yourself or getting one professionally painted? I sprayed my plate and I quite enjoyed learning how to do it and doing it...

I've thought about painting it myself, but I probably wouldn't be able to do a good enough job that I would be happy with, and I live in a apartment so there's nowhere for me to even try.

I do have this coming in the mail though,

GtW4zuWh.jpg

With a custom programmable controller, with USB-B input.

0ZT1kUFh.jpg

wNEZTW8h.jpg

I've thought about painting it myself, but I probably wouldn't be able to do a good enough job that I would be happy with, and I live in a apartment so there's nowhere for me to even try.

I sprayed mine in my little house. I got a card board box, set some little stand offs up in the box (Put the plate ontop of the stand offs) and opened a windows. Made sure I prepped the surface well and took my time with the coats!

OOOOOOooooo Much tastyness! I would love to own one! I talked to my dad the other day and he said he had all sorts of mechanical keyboards when he was working! If only he had kept one!

#700PostHypeTrain!

GtW4zuWh.jpg

0ZT1kUFh.jpg

wNEZTW8h.jpg
saw that controller and had to go see if you were posting in the Universal Model M Controller thread on deskthority lol

saw that controller and had to go see if you were posting in the Universal Model M Controller thread on deskthority lol

I have been watching it closely :D

I contacted Phosphorglow a few months ago about getting one of his SSK's, but he still had to do some work on them.

Then he writes me back asking if I would mind my board having a programmable controller with USB.  Of course I didn't mind.

I have been watching it closely :D

I contacted Phosphorglow a few months ago about getting one of his SSK's, but he still had to do some work on them.

Then he writes me back asking me if I would mind my board having a programmable controller with USB.  Of course I didn't mind.

i wouldn't mind that either lol

It is indeed the Vortex Aluminium case! It weighs a tonne!! The PCB was like $30ish and the controller was $30ish too. The diodes were 100 for £12 and the switches were about £50ish for all of them... 

You could look at creating a GON keyboard. They sell acrylic cases for these, the do also sell the PCB's too!

I think that might be a little over budget if the vortex is the only thing available :/

I would never miss a chance to make a few build threads just to show off :D

EDIT: Keycaps and stabilizers are saying they have been delivered!!!

That keyboard looks like a ducky shine 69 2.0 with much better quality.

Can I buy one from you? :(:(:(

I think that might be a little over budget if the vortex is the only thing available :/

Metal case wise, probably. Might be worth waiting for the TEX to come back into stock...

That keyboard looks like a ducky shine 69 2.0 with much better quality.

Can I buy one from you? :(:(:(

Half the fun of this project was learning how to solder! If you want a keyboard like this, I suggest undertaking the same project! It was very rewarding!

I figured out why people hate the WASDKeyboards Keycaps on the Code series... My letters are coming off, and my 'V' has a little hole with light shining threw it... Kind of irritating, but I don't have the money for this right now. :(

YSfDD10.jpg

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.