Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Hello everyone. I need some keyboard suggestion help.
So I bought a cooler master tkl board with my first build that had cherry mx blacks. Didn't like the feel so sold it. I did like the feel and look of the board though with the rubberized case. But the newer cooler master boards look way worse IMO.

Then Luke got me psyched for a Ducky Shine 3 TKL so I bought it. I went with browns to try something new. But now one year later, I don't really feel like the browns are that amazing. Also the look and plastic build( even though it's tough heavy plastic) of the shine are not that great. And I never use the crazy lighting options lol :P Feeling like I way overpaid :P  But I do appreciate a backlight.

So now that  I have a buyer for my ducky shine 3, I am in the market for something else. Should I retry the browns with another brand? Everyone talking about how they are so amazing and all.. maybe the ducky shine 3 TKL is not the best implementation of them as I understand that backplate influences the feel of typing on the keys?

I am inclined to try reds. I would like to try blues but I think my family and others around me will not appreciate their clickyness. 

Any suggestions? Should I try reds, or maybe even the new coolermaster novatouch? I would really like a satisfying gaming and typing experience. But maybe I am just expecting too much out of a keyboard and should look for outher sources of satisfaction lol :P

Hello everyone. I need some keyboard suggestion help.

So I bought a cooler master tkl board with my first build that had cherry mx blacks. Didn't like the feel so sold it. I did like the feel and look of the board though with the rubberized case. But the newer cooler master boards look way worse IMO.

Then Luke got me psyched for a Ducky Shine 3 TKL so I bought it. I went with browns to try something new. But now one year later, I don't really feel like the browns are that amazing. Also the look and plastic build( even though it's tough heavy plastic) of the shine are not that great. And I never use the crazy lighting options lol :P Feeling like I way overpaid :P  But I do appreciate a backlight.

So now that  I have a buyer for my ducky shine 3, I am in the market for something else. Should I retry the browns with another brand? Everyone talking about how they are so amazing and all.. maybe the ducky shine 3 TKL is not the best implementation of them as I understand that backplate influences the feel of typing on the keys?

I am inclined to try reds. I would like to try blues but I think my family and others around me will not appreciate their clickyness. 

Any suggestions? Should I try reds, or maybe even the new coolermaster novatouch? I would really like a satisfying gaming and typing experience. But maybe I am just expecting too much out of a keyboard and should look for outher sources of satisfaction lol :P

As much as you feel like you over paid. I cant see it as a reason, but I will stand buy you for saying it. For me, with my recent purchase of a Filco Majistouch, I couldn't recommend anything better. Yes, it's plastic, but so are most keyboards on the market, unless you're wanting something like Corsair, or I believe the Das Keyboard 4 has a aluminium top sheet. Though, don't quote me on that. Also, it maybe because you're not satisfied with the switches that you feel that you overpaid. I don't know. 

It depends on what kind of feeing you want out of your switches. Heavy and click, soft but tactile or linear? If you've tried the Browns and Blacks and they're not to your satisfaction, try something heavier, like the Blues. Or if you prefer the linear feeling but softer, get the Reds. I've found the perfect balance in Browns and on my Filco keyboard, they feel outstanding. 

If you're wanting something professional in design and don't care about the LED's, but with some metal construction, the Das Keyboard maybe the way forward, if it is partially metal that is. However, that keyboard only comes in Blue switches and Browns, so may not be what you're after. You can also take a look at the Corsair K range of keyboards. They have a partially metal construction, though, come with back lights. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

O-rings are noise cancelling thingies right?

They help quiet the noise when you bottom out. They also soft the blow making it less jarring on your fingers.

Hey guys this is my first post, I've been a long time watcher of the youtube channel and i just got my first mechanical keyboard and I'm never going back to the mushy crap again. I got the CM quickfire ultimate with blue switches. I freaking love the clicky sound and feel.

no mods yet but I'm eyeballing some key caps from wasdkeyboard. 

Hey guys this is my first post, I've been a long time watcher of the youtube channel and i just got my first mechanical keyboard and I'm never going back to the mushy crap again. I got the CM quickfire ultimate with blue switches. I freaking love the clicky sound and feel.

no mods yet but I'm eyeballing some key caps from wasdkeyboard. 

Glad to have you here bro :3 I'm sure you will enjoy your stay :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Man i really want a Cherry MX brown mechanical keyboard.  :(

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

Glad to have you here bro :3 I'm sure you will enjoy your stay :)

Thank you sir! I'm sure that I will! :D

This came the other week from tjcaustin at Mimic Cables on Geekhack.

KMACDSARetroBraidedCable-Full.jpg

KMACDSARetroBraidedCable-CloseUp.jpg

I really like how flexable it is. I saw that he had done it for headphone cable before so it gave me the idea to do it for a USB cable for my keyboard (pictured below). I think it really works with the keycap set I have on it because of the many different colors. I bought this because im doing a full rebuild of the board to better fit me because when I purchased it it was already build by someone for themselves. Build Log coming soon tm.

KMACwithDSARetroforSlick.jpg

Its a original KMAC and those are DSA Retro caps. ;)

As much as you feel like you over paid. I cant see it as a reason, but I will stand buy you for saying it. For me, with my recent purchase of a Filco Majistouch, I couldn't recommend anything better. Yes, it's plastic, but so are most keyboards on the market, unless you're wanting something like Corsair, or I believe the Das Keyboard 4 has a aluminium top sheet. Though, don't quote me on that. Also, it maybe because you're not satisfied with the switches that you feel that you overpaid. I don't know. 

It depends on what kind of feeing you want out of your switches. Heavy and click, soft but tactile or linear? If you've tried the Browns and Blacks and they're not to your satisfaction, try something heavier, like the Blues. Or if you prefer the linear feeling but softer, get the Reds. I've found the perfect balance in Browns and on my Filco keyboard, they feel outstanding. 

If you're wanting something professional in design and don't care about the LED's, but with some metal construction, the Das Keyboard maybe the way forward, if it is partially metal that is. However, that keyboard only comes in Blue switches and Browns, so may not be what you're after. You can also take a look at the Corsair K range of keyboards. They have a partially metal construction, though, come with back lights. 

I probably feel like I overpaid because I am not fully satisfied. Thank you kindly for your input. I have recently been eyeballing the ducky premier series with their PBT caps with blue/grey colors. Is the feel of PBT caps that much better? The caps on the Ducky shine 3 feel kind of flimsy so maybe it is worth a try? I like the corsair series except for the metal bar at the top which is higher than the rest of the keyboard. I will try reds next I think. 

I know I promised you guys some pictures of my #1991 YoTH last Sunday. I just haven't been able to make it due to assignments and upcoming exams, however, this sunday I will have some time to take some pictures. I've been so busy in fact that I haven't even had time to try it out.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

I know I promised you guys some pictures of my #1991 YoTH last Sunday. I just haven't been able to make it due to assignments and upcoming exams, however, this sunday I will have some time to take some pictures. I've been so busy in fact that I haven't even had time to try it out.

Don't worry dude. It's really important to set your priorities. Not like the keyboard is going anywhere ;)

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

So, just checked with back home and I have a package of Granite keys from MassDrop waiting for me.

Finish Uni next week for Christmas, so shouldn't be too much longer till I can finish off my V60 :D

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

So at first i was not even interested of mechanical keyboards because i had tried typing on blue and red switches the red did not feel satisfying and the blues were too clicky.

The keyboards had less functions for a higher price and i really love to change the color scheme of my stuff a little now and then.

I really loved the feeling of typing on my steelseries apex + it looks sexy as hell.

But as i am extremely unlucky with electronics in general, of course i had issues with the apex as well =(

The software would not detect my device so i could not change color, use macros and it sometimes did not even want to work at all.

I noticed i did not need the macros and the keyboard took up a lot of space that i wanted to use for other stuff.

I came across the cm storm quick fire tk (brown switch) in a bargain bin with open box stuff for cheap.

For no better reason than i was bored i started typing on it and man was it satisfying to type on.

As i was not even considering going mechanical at the time i did not buy it right away. (big mistake).

I looked around a ton on the internet at different cool keyboard customizations came across some plastic covers that one can put on top on the led in your mechanical keyboard and a few nice looking keycaps and decided to buy the cm storm QF tk brown.

I am now sitting here typing extra long posts just as a excuse to type more because i love it so =P.

I am planning to paint my keyboard top white like my g13 and g600 and get some of those clear colored plastic bits i was talking about and stick in some rubber o rings and make a carbon fibre wrist rest wish me luck  !;P

Also love to being a member of the club =P

post-6077-0-61919800-1417861267_thumb.jp

post-6077-0-94228900-1417861292_thumb.jp

I probably feel like I overpaid because I am not fully satisfied. Thank you kindly for your input. I have recently been eyeballing the ducky premier series with their PBT caps with blue/grey colors. Is the feel of PBT caps that much better? The caps on the Ducky shine 3 feel kind of flimsy so maybe it is worth a try? I like the corsair series except for the metal bar at the top which is higher than the rest of the keyboard. I will try reds next I think. 

Being someone who has yet to use PBT keycaps as I have been rather unsuccessful with finding them in the ISO, UK layout, I wouldn't know how much better they may feel. Though, they wont wear down as easily and don't become shiny and slippery as fast as ABS keycaps. I didn't find the stock Ducky keycaps to be bad, though the ones I have with the Filco feel much better. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

So I got a new Ducky Mini with red switches. I changed the keycaps to PBT grey/blue and RGB keycap set from Ducky. I think it doesn't look too bad :D

YB0JtCn.jpg?1

rsFBCpq.jpg?1

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Have been searching around for some nice keyboards and have come across a KUL ES87 available close by. Anyone has experience with this keyboard? Also I have the options of trying clears on it. Should I try them out even though I don't like browns that much? I think I would like the bump to be more pronounced and that is what the clears offer right? Only worry is they might be too heavy. Can someone with mx clear experience chime in?

Have been searching around for some nice keyboards and have come across a KUL ES87 available close by. Anyone has experience with this keyboard? Also I have the options of trying clears on it. Should I try them out even though I don't like browns that much? I think I would like the bump to be more pronounced and that is what the clears offer right? Only worry is they might be too heavy. Can someone with mx clear experience chime in?

Most of the reviews I have seen on the KUL ES-87 have been positive.  There are some people saying that some of the stabilizers "squeak",  but it looks like it's a hit or miss thing.

Eventually I will get one to try out myself.

As for mx-clears.  That will be up to your personal preference. I personally think stock clears are a little too heavy, and mod mine with 62g Korean springs.  However if I had to choose between stock mx-browns and stock mx-clears, I would choose clears any day of the week.

Here is a review.  http://www.hardcoreware.net/kul-es-87-review/             If you haven't already you can google it to find more.

Need an oppinion corsair k70 rgb(cherry blue) or logitech g710 with blue switches

And is the new corsair keyboard filled with problems software wise? Bugs or hardware compatibility?

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Mother Board: ASUS P8B75-M LE GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Thermaltake LT-500NL2NL 500W

PERIPHERALS: Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Mouse Pad: Steelseries QCK Headphones: Superlux HD 668B

Most of the reviews I have seen on the KUL ES-87 have been positive.  There are some people saying that some of the stabilizers "squeak",  but it looks like it's a hit or miss thing.

Eventually I will get one to try out myself.

As for mx-clears.  That will be up to your personal preference. I personally think stock clears are a little too heavy, and mod mine with 62g Korean springs.  However if I had to choose between stock mx-browns and stock mx-clears, I would choose clears any day of the week.

Here is a review.  http://www.hardcoreware.net/kul-es-87-review/             If you haven't already you can google it to find more.

Thanks for the info! I have found some opinions on the geekhack forum too. Most are positive. If only it had some backlighting ;)

Also, anyone owns a ducky mini here? I really want one but there are reports of the keys feeling mushy on them. I only heard complains from the mx blue variety and I was thinking going mx red but still...

The KUL is basically a copy of the WASD v2 from what ive seen, at least feature wise.

Also I have the options of trying clears on it. Should I try them out even though I don't like browns that much? I think I would like the bump to be more pronounced and that is what the clears offer right? Only worry is they might be too heavy. Can someone with mx clear experience chime in?

I have a code tkl with clears and I had a quickfire tk with browns before that.

I liked the browns but like you wanted more of a "bump". I find the clears good. I have large hands (9" span) and find the weight of the clears fine. I don't bottom out as much as I did with browns.

I have only used those two switch's though as there are no shops here that stock mechanical keyboards, not even Logitech.

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

My friend bought me a K70 RGB with MX reds, a huge upgrade from the $10 microsoft keyboard i had previously. Its awesome :D

My friend bought me a K70 RGB with MX reds, a huge upgrade from the $10 microsoft keyboard i had previously. Its awesome :D

I need friends like you. 

Gratz! How do you like the reds?

I need friends like you. 

Gratz! How do you like the reds?

Maaattee, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much nicer than the membrane. soo smooth and not mushy and you can push them half way and it registers the keystroke, awesome 10/10

Maaattee, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much nicer than the membrane. soo smooth and not mushy and you can push them half way and it registers the keystroke, awesome 10/10

sounds about right xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?