Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dave :)

Mechanical Keyboard Club!

9 minutes ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Hey guys I'm getting my first mech keyboard, does anyone has a suggestion on which keyboard should I buy? Also, are blue switches really not meant for gaming? Thanks by the way

Can't really give suggestions without knowing your budget.

Cherry MX Blue style switches with click jackets have hysteresis, which can be an issue if you need to press a switch multiple times quickly.

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

2 minutes ago, Annoyingnerds said:

does anyone has a suggestion on which keyboard should I buy?

• For typing: Get an IBM Model F. Never look back.
  • For gaming: Blue switches are fine (I was using a QPAD with MX Blues for gaming before), but they are too light in my opinion (and the mosquito sound they make can be annoying after having used a better switch for a while). MX Brown or their clones Kailh Brown could be a better alternative here, but I never tried those.
  • For both:
    • Try a Unicomp Model M. They're basically the latest iteration of IBM's Model M, light enough for gaming, reliable enough for typing.
    • Matias Quiet Click (an Alps clone) could be interesting, they're available with a limited set of keyboards.

Write in C.

2 hours ago, Dat Guy said:
  • For typing: Get an IBM Model F. Never look back.
  • For both:
    • Try a Unicomp Model M. They're basically the latest iteration of IBM's Model M, light enough for gaming, reliable enough for typing.
    • Matias Quiet Click (an Alps clone) could be interesting, they're available with a limited set of keyboards.

Dang, making this guy jump to the deep end before letting him feel the water out. I like it xD

43 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Dang, making this guy jump to the deep end before letting him feel the water out. I like it xD

Nah, it's fine. It's not like I don't understand a single word he's saying, I actually prefer these kind of response 😁. But yeah, I would love to have a brown switch keyboard because of it's tactile bump and a rather quite noise if they aren't so dang expensive.

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :N/A/ GPU :N/A/ RAM :N/A/ PSU :N/A/ HDD :N/A/ SSD :N/A/ COOLER :N/A/ MOBO :N/A

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ MIC : SONY ECM-CS3 BOW TIE MIC/ KEYBOARD :N/A

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

Can't really give suggestions without knowing your budget.

Cherry MX Blue style switches with click jackets have hysteresis, which can be an issue if you need to press a switch multiple times quickly.

My budget is $110 more less, and also if I'm playing fps games i.e. BF 5 or CSGO I don't really to press a switch multiple times.

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :N/A/ GPU :N/A/ RAM :N/A/ PSU :N/A/ HDD :N/A/ SSD :N/A/ COOLER :N/A/ MOBO :N/A

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ MIC : SONY ECM-CS3 BOW TIE MIC/ KEYBOARD :N/A

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

1 minute ago, Annoyingnerds said:

My budget is $110 more less

You can get all of my suggestions - excluding the Matias one, I guess - for that. :)

Write in C.

2 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

You can get all of my suggestions - excluding the Matias one, I guess - for that. :)

Ah that's somewhat a relieve, but isn't blue switch meant to be heavier because they said that it has a 60 gram actuation force? Also can you explain a lil bit more about your blue switch experience?

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

Just now, Annoyingnerds said:

isn't blue switch meant to be heavier because they said that it has a 60 gram actuation force?

Actually, it has notably less than that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/ripometer#wiki_blue_mx

But stiffness and travel distance are important as well. The actuation force does not tell you much about the reliability and easyness of your key pressing. Even the Model M feels like a feather after a while.

1 minute ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Also can you explain a lil bit more about your blue switch experience?

It was awesome until I replaced it. See, the QPAD was my first "mechanical" keyboard after years of (both bad and rather acceptable) rubber domes and laptop keyboards, so it was enlightening in its own way. But it is a low-end keyboard - it hit the floor a few times and the keycaps basically dissolved. The gaming experience with it was good though, minus the typing sound. The tactility is just right on those.

I played with it last month again, after a few exclusive months with IBM/Unicomp keyboards. There are worlds between those.

Write in C.

Keyboard: I've got a corsair k63 wireless with Cherry MX Red Switches. I haven't customed my keycaps yet but I intend to either before or after I build my next PC 

I got a Corsair K68 Red around a week ago. I'm a fan of spill resistant keyboards as I always put my drinks right next to my keyboard lol. The wrist rest is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the keyboard, but I like the feeling of Cherry Reds. They are pretty quiet, amazing when gaming, but it took me a while to get used to them while typing. (as everyone says about Cherry Reds) 

I like the software it comes with and all the cool light effects (I can also control the mouse from the Corsair app), but I'm just wondering why this only has red backlighting, and that the RGB version is significantly more expensive. Also while everything is red, the Caps/Num/Scroll Lock indicators are blue -- a very small detail but I wish they went with Red LEDs instead.

This is my first mechanical keyboard and I didn't want to buy one from an unknown brand because I can't afford another broken keyboard haha

Desktop: Ryzen5 2600-ASRock X470 Master SLI/ac - 2x16GB G.Skill 2400Mhz RAM - EVGA GTX1660 - 1TB Intel 660p - 2TB Seagate HDD - EVGA 650W 80+Bronze - Corsair Carbide 275R - Acer ED322Q 32" FHD Curved - Edifier M3200

2018 MacBook Pro 15" i7-8850H 2.6Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD - Radeon Pro 560X

21 hours ago, geo3 said:

Is there a force graph?

Not yet. But topclack did a review of them a while back of the first rounds iirc. 

🅱 𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕛𝕚

On 1/3/2013 at 5:44 AM, Dave :) said:

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.

Please do not be discouraged of the statement above of blue switches from buying them for gaming. I recommend you try them for yourself and see which one you think its best. I looked at this before buying a mechanical keyboard and found myself not wanting to even consider them but when I tried them out I really liked them especially for gaming.

5 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Please do not be discouraged of the statement above of blue switches from buying them for gaming. I recommend you try them for yourself and see which one you think its best. I looked at this before buying a mechanical keyboard and found myself not wanting to even consider them but when I tried them out I really liked them especially for gaming.

You realize you're replying to a more than 6 year old comment. 

No joke: I have just typed a long Word document on my F XT and I have the urgent desire to type it again so that this feeling won't end so soon.  😍

Write in C.

Just now, geo3 said:

Newest acquisition: 130 Zealios.  Now what to do with them?

-snip-

Do you have any spare PCBs lying around?

Officially LTT's 'coolest' member (yes, that's a pun)

The w is pronounced like v, if you're wondering!

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Spoiler

Current rig (Ninetales):

Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.7GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1070 (8GB), 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, Windows 10 Pro x64

Laptop (Vulpix): 

Intel Core i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400, Windows 10 Pro x64
More detailed specs on my profile.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:36 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Rawr9 Furry Sex

Here is my current collection of switches from the past 7 months of this money pit hobby.

Top Row: Halo Trues w/ a bunch of frankenswitches mixed in | TKC1800* with old stock BOX Royals that I bought used

Middle Row: MX Browns RGB that came with my iGK64 (I wanted to try Browns) | Linjar Switch | RoseliosSakurios | Novelias

Bottom Row: YOK Red Pandas | Outemu Skies V2.2 68g | NovelKeys Creams

*I still can't decide what switches to put on this thing, so I just have it sitting there for me to play with. The click of the Royals are so satisfying!

1325727879_SwitchCollectionasof4_22_19.thumb.jpg.b888455621813dba1f3651c2dc2fc445.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Here is my current collection of switches from the past 7 months of this money pit hobby.

Top Row: Halo Trues w/ a bunch of frankenswitches mixed in | TKC1800* with old stock BOX Royals that I bought used

Middle Row: MX Browns RGB that came with my iGK64 (I wanted to try Browns) | Linjar Switch | RoseliosSakurios | Novelias

Bottom Row: YOK Red Pandas | Outemu Skies V2.2 68g | NovelKeys Creams

*I still can't decide what switches to put on this thing, so I just have it sitting there for me to play with. The click of the Royals are so satisfying!

1325727879_SwitchCollectionasof4_22_19.thumb.jpg.b888455621813dba1f3651c2dc2fc445.jpg

Panning to make Holy yok red pandas?

🅱 𝕖𝕞𝕠𝕛𝕚

11 minutes ago, b emoji said:

Panning to make Holy yok red pandas?

Exactly! I've made two to test out lube VS no lube, and adding lube is day and night. Unfortunately I keep putting off making them and since I want to lube them, I would like to get a lubing station.

I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard because my current one is going out of action.

My favorite one so far is the K95 from corsair with brown switches, though I really only tried the speed and red switches in stores.. can't even remember what they feel like anymore, what I'm trying to say is that the switches won't really matter much but I do like the idea that the browns are more silent. My current keyboard is on the heavy side and after one A4 page writing I can already feel it.

What I'm looking for is build quality and the K95 with the aluminium frame is what really attracts me.

Long story short: any other OP build quality keyboards that come with brown switches? Any help appreciated, current price on K95 is £170 so I'm not looking at anything more expensive than this. ($220/€197/VEF55,081,592.65)

CPU: Intel E5-1650 v2 @3.69GHz, 6c12t; GPU: NVidia EVGA GeForce GTX980 Classified, 4GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x4GB ECC; SSD: 2xSamsung 128GB R0 OS, 2xMicron 256GB R0, SanDisk 256GB; OS: 10, Debian; Monitor: 2xDell U2410F 24" (1920x1200)Keyboard: Razer Marauder/Starcraft II; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

14 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Exactly! I've made two to test out lube VS no lube, and adding lube is day and night. Unfortunately I keep putting off making them and since I want to lube them, I would like to get a lubing station.

I have no words.. we are lubing keyboards?

CPU: Intel E5-1650 v2 @3.69GHz, 6c12t; GPU: NVidia EVGA GeForce GTX980 Classified, 4GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x4GB ECC; SSD: 2xSamsung 128GB R0 OS, 2xMicron 256GB R0, SanDisk 256GB; OS: 10, Debian; Monitor: 2xDell U2410F 24" (1920x1200)Keyboard: Razer Marauder/Starcraft II; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.