Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
12 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Never heard that on Alps.

Simplified Alps, SKCC Greens, many if not all alps ping alot. Especially SKCC Greens, so much so that the IBM 6112884 with SKCC Greens are nicknamed the ping master. 

Lot's of drama going on in the community recently. 

Today ZealPC called out Wei (KBDFANS) for selling fake zealio and tealio switches (and fake zeal stabs but that's a diffrent story). 

Spoiler

ZealPC's post

TL;DR:
Zeal says Wei only bought 12k zeal switches a year ago and those would have sold out rather quickly, however, his site has zeal products in stock, he compares the zeal and the kbdfans tealio finding there to be differences which prove that the switch is a "fake" notably the glossy pcb mount legs on the fake switches compared the matte finish on the real ones. 

Here is Wei's response to this

Spoiler

Wei's Response 

TL;DR: 
Wei says that he found a new source for these zeal clones thinking they were real and the new supplier sold them for a cheaper price, he was not aware that they were fakes. He is offering to refund any purchase of zeal switches from kbdfan stores that were made after May 1 2018, he has since removed the listings for zeal products on kbdfans and says he will be offering compensation to ZealPC. 

If you have bought Zeal switches from kbdfans after May 1 2018 email wei@kbdfans.cn and he will give you a refund, and you don't need to return the switches. 

Edited by b emoji
fixed links

On 4/28/2019 at 12:42 PM, noxdeouroboros said:

No other preferences? Like macros, rgb, no rgb? Numpad is a must? I personally would recommend this one https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4332

Ooooh! I like it.

Macro's not essential but I'd definitely use them if available, RGB yes as it's nice to have your own desired backlight. Yes numpad is a must, so annoying without it.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:47 PM, geo3 said:

Interesting :D, informative too.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:18 PM, Dat Guy said:

If you need to lube your switches (no, the other kind of lube, you filthy mind ?), you probably have chosen the wrong switches.

I see ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 5:38 PM, geo3 said:

Newest acquisition: 130 Zealios.  Now what to do with them?

IMG_20190426_173242.jpg

So I just got around to installing these V2 Zeals in a board. And....

Ho!

Lee!

Fuk! 

They feel amazing! They make og Zealios feel like MX Browns. And I haven't even lubed them yet. I think this is the ideal switch. The tactility, smoothness, lack of wobble are all top notch. The tactile bump is as high as a BOX Royal but feels rounder and more refined. The BOX Royal is a coarse snap, this is a refined and smooth pop of a bubble.

If strongly tactile switches are your jam, you need to get you some of these. 

Been doing some tinkering on my F122. Switched a pristine set of one-piece caps on from my F AT as well as some stems for the non-alpha keys from a donor Model M I had lying around (to fix some scratchy keys). The one-piece caps made a huge difference in the sound, more so than I had expected.

IMG_20190522_233915.thumb.png.a2c5d0dca4bf7f0487da5d8abe1c28c9.png

IMG_20190522_233944.thumb.png.dde4dbaa33072ef044a8b80a941e7c5f.png

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

So I just got around to installing these V2 Zeals in a board. And....

Ho!

Lee!

Fuk! 

They feel amazing! They make og Zealios feel like MX Browns. And I haven't even lubed them yet. I think this is the ideal switch. The tactility, smoothness, lack of wobble are all top notch. The tactile bump is as high as a BOX Royal but feels rounder and more refined. The BOX Royal is a coarse snap, this is a refined and smooth pop of a bubble.

If strongly tactile switches are your jam, you need to get you some of these. 

I've been considering doing an 1800 layout build eventually, maybe I'll get V2 Zealios for that build.

10 hours ago, Nowak said:

I've been considering doing an 1800 layout build eventually, maybe I'll get V2 Zealios for that build.

Careful though, I feel like these are having the 144Hz effect on my typing, where going back to 60Hz/other switches is painful.

Also after using them for a few hours I've decided they definitely need to be lubed, because like all switches they have horrendous spring ping that needs to be silenced.

12 hours ago, Masada02 said:

Been doing some tinkering on my F122.

Please adopt me.

Write in C.

15 hours ago, Nowak said:

Note that if you want to get some now might be the right time! Zealpc has a 20% off sale on all regularly stocked switches (Zealios, Zilents, Tealios, Healios). Sale ends on June 1st. No code needed.

https://zealpc.net/collections/switches

Could someone show me some good PBT key set to replace my default Ducky One 2 Mini keys? And where to buy? Looking for same profile as the default ones, but with some nice colors to spice things up.

Prefer not to be a group buy thing or similar to it, just want the simple direct purchase system ones.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

3 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Could someone show me some good PBT key set to replace my default Ducky One 2 Mini keys? And where to buy? Looking for same profile as the default ones, but with some nice colors to spice things up.

Prefer not to be a group buy thing or similar to it, just want the simple direct purchase system ones.

Ducky uses OEM Profile iirc, the only oem profile pbt doubleshot caps I can think of rn are the vortex and ducky ones. mechanicalkeyboards.com has them.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=771

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=770

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4282

Tai-hao also makes doubleshot pbt but their profile is slightly different. 

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1168

9 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

pimpmykeyboard.com has lots of color options. Their DCS profile is pretty much the same thing as OEM. 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, geo3 said:

Just got some SA Icecaps from PMK. They feel nice and look ok but the sound is where it's at. Much nicer than the XDA Canvas I had on here previously. More bassy and lest plastic sounding.

IMG_20190510_204950.jpg

what do u think of XDA keycaps?

ive been wanting to get my hands on a set for a while now, but none of the ones that fit my board look good :(

i love how the surface area of XDA caps looks so much bigger than the surface areas of other profiles

4 minutes ago, r0otctrl said:

what do u think of XDA keycaps?

ive been wanting to get my hands on a set for a while now, but none of the ones that fit my board look good :(

i love how the surface area of XDA caps looks so much bigger than the surface areas of other profiles

XDA feels nice and look nice, but because they are small they don't sound all that good.

If you like XDA you might also want to look at MDA profile which is like a scrupled variant of XDA. 

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

XDA feels nice and look nice, but because they are small they don't sound all that good.

If you like XDA you might also want to look at MDA profile which is like a scrupled variant of XDA. 

yeah, im aware of MDA. i really like the look of MDA too, but wish they werent sculpted.

will be much easier and much, much cheaper to continually customize an XDA set due to the uniformity of the caps.

if i cant get my hands on XDA, DSA is another one i really wanna try.

honestly, if the sound is the only downside to XDA, id certainly compromise for the shorter caps and bigger surface areas. seems like a hell of a good trade off to me.

is the bigger surface area noticeable in your opinion?

Just now, geo3 said:

It is. Especially coming from DSA which I used previously which has a smallish surface area.

sweet. u know anywhere where i can buy a decent looking set for my nightfox keyboard?

10 hours ago, r0otctrl said:

nightfox

Ouch, that has a couple odd sized keys making things difficult. 

10 hours ago, r0otctrl said:

decent looking

This is super subjective. What do you consider good looking? 

These are mine. 2 of Them are using a set called XDA CanvasIMG_20181103_092457-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.b51434b11da2f25f797550f362a37950.jpg

Here's one from KBDfans

1_2bdabedd-7c62-402f-b477-c067528e5ada_1

Here's another from Aliexpress.

HTB1VFIamAomBKNjSZFqq6xtqVXaX.jpg

IMG_20190525_173411.thumb.jpg.419862f6d6f2e08f257c170b8607d247.jpgMy new m65a! 
M65A Solarized Dark Edition, Black PVD Brass Plate + Weight , GMK Solarized Dark, Zeal Stabs (lubed with 205 + Dielectric grease, Band Aid modded), Zilent 62g v2s (lubed with 3204)

Deskpad: Keyclack M65a Deskpad
Mouse: Mx Master 2s

On 5/24/2019 at 10:42 PM, geo3 said:

Ouch, that has a couple odd sized keys making things difficult. 

This is super subjective. What do you consider good looking? 

These are mine. 2 of Them are using a set called XDA CanvasIMG_20181103_092457-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.b51434b11da2f25f797550f362a37950.jpg

Here's one from KBDfans

1_2bdabedd-7c62-402f-b477-c067528e5ada_1

Here's another from Aliexpress.

HTB1VFIamAomBKNjSZFqq6xtqVXaX.jpg

Would you say that DSA surface areas are smaller than, say, Cherry surface areas?

Really the only unusually sized keys in the Nightfox kit are the backspace and backslash for the most part, so it shouldn't be as hard as it has been to find a nice set.

Not a huge fan of the Canvas aesthetics, but that ortho-linear set you have is beautiful. What's the name of that and where'd you get it? Does it come in non-ortho-linear?

On 5/25/2019 at 6:58 AM, b emoji said:

IMG_20190525_173411.thumb.jpg.419862f6d6f2e08f257c170b8607d247.jpgMy new m65a! 
M65A Solarized Dark Edition, Black PVD Brass Plate + Weight , GMK Solarized Dark, Zeal Stabs (lubed with 205 + Dielectric grease, Band Aid modded), Zilent 62g v2s (lubed with 3204)

Deskpad: Keyclack M65a Deskpad
Mouse: Mx Master 2s

the M65A is such a beautiful looking keyboard, although, like Geo said, doesn't the front edge of the case ever get in the way? How heavy is it? You got a weight in it?