Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
Just now, Annoyingnerds said:

isn't blue switch meant to be heavier because they said that it has a 60 gram actuation force?

Actually, it has notably less than that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/ripometer#wiki_blue_mx

But stiffness and travel distance are important as well. The actuation force does not tell you much about the reliability and easyness of your key pressing. Even the Model M feels like a feather after a while.

1 minute ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Also can you explain a lil bit more about your blue switch experience?

It was awesome until I replaced it. See, the QPAD was my first "mechanical" keyboard after years of (both bad and rather acceptable) rubber domes and laptop keyboards, so it was enlightening in its own way. But it is a low-end keyboard - it hit the floor a few times and the keycaps basically dissolved. The gaming experience with it was good though, minus the typing sound. The tactility is just right on those.

I played with it last month again, after a few exclusive months with IBM/Unicomp keyboards. There are worlds between those.

Write in C.

Keyboard: I've got a corsair k63 wireless with Cherry MX Red Switches. I haven't customed my keycaps yet but I intend to either before or after I build my next PC 

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

I got a Corsair K68 Red around a week ago. I'm a fan of spill resistant keyboards as I always put my drinks right next to my keyboard lol. The wrist rest is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the keyboard, but I like the feeling of Cherry Reds. They are pretty quiet, amazing when gaming, but it took me a while to get used to them while typing. (as everyone says about Cherry Reds) 

I like the software it comes with and all the cool light effects (I can also control the mouse from the Corsair app), but I'm just wondering why this only has red backlighting, and that the RGB version is significantly more expensive. Also while everything is red, the Caps/Num/Scroll Lock indicators are blue -- a very small detail but I wish they went with Red LEDs instead.

This is my first mechanical keyboard and I didn't want to buy one from an unknown brand because I can't afford another broken keyboard haha

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X / Noctua NH-D15 / Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 / 2x16GB XPG 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM / Radeon VII / 1TB Intel 660p SSD / Acer ED322Q / Acer ET322QU / Corsair Carbide 275R

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 7405 2-in-1: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U / 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 / 512GB NVM.e

21 hours ago, geo3 said:

Is there a force graph?

Not yet. But topclack did a review of them a while back of the first rounds iirc. 

On 1/3/2013 at 5:44 AM, Dave :) said:

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.

Please do not be discouraged of the statement above of blue switches from buying them for gaming. I recommend you try them for yourself and see which one you think its best. I looked at this before buying a mechanical keyboard and found myself not wanting to even consider them but when I tried them out I really liked them especially for gaming.

5 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Please do not be discouraged of the statement above of blue switches from buying them for gaming. I recommend you try them for yourself and see which one you think its best. I looked at this before buying a mechanical keyboard and found myself not wanting to even consider them but when I tried them out I really liked them especially for gaming.

You realize you're replying to a more than 6 year old comment. 

No joke: I have just typed a long Word document on my F XT and I have the urgent desire to type it again so that this feeling won't end so soon.  ?

Write in C.

Just now, geo3 said:

Newest acquisition: 130 Zealios.  Now what to do with them?

-snip-

Do you have any spare PCBs lying around?

Just now, Nowak said:

Do you have any spare PCBs lying around?

No. I have one coming in a few months. But that would only take 60 of these up. If I want to use all of them I'm going to have to start soldering stuff. 

Here is my current collection of switches from the past 7 months of this money pit hobby.

Top Row: Halo Trues w/ a bunch of frankenswitches mixed in | TKC1800* with old stock BOX Royals that I bought used

Middle Row: MX Browns RGB that came with my iGK64 (I wanted to try Browns) | Linjar Switch | RoseliosSakurios | Novelias

Bottom Row: YOK Red Pandas | Outemu Skies V2.2 68g | NovelKeys Creams

*I still can't decide what switches to put on this thing, so I just have it sitting there for me to play with. The click of the Royals are so satisfying!

1325727879_SwitchCollectionasof4_22_19.thumb.jpg.b888455621813dba1f3651c2dc2fc445.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Here is my current collection of switches from the past 7 months of this money pit hobby.

Top Row: Halo Trues w/ a bunch of frankenswitches mixed in | TKC1800* with old stock BOX Royals that I bought used

Middle Row: MX Browns RGB that came with my iGK64 (I wanted to try Browns) | Linjar Switch | RoseliosSakurios | Novelias

Bottom Row: YOK Red Pandas | Outemu Skies V2.2 68g | NovelKeys Creams

*I still can't decide what switches to put on this thing, so I just have it sitting there for me to play with. The click of the Royals are so satisfying!

1325727879_SwitchCollectionasof4_22_19.thumb.jpg.b888455621813dba1f3651c2dc2fc445.jpg

Panning to make Holy yok red pandas?

11 minutes ago, b emoji said:

Panning to make Holy yok red pandas?

Exactly! I've made two to test out lube VS no lube, and adding lube is day and night. Unfortunately I keep putting off making them and since I want to lube them, I would like to get a lubing station.

I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard because my current one is going out of action.

My favorite one so far is the K95 from corsair with brown switches, though I really only tried the speed and red switches in stores.. can't even remember what they feel like anymore, what I'm trying to say is that the switches won't really matter much but I do like the idea that the browns are more silent. My current keyboard is on the heavy side and after one A4 page writing I can already feel it.

What I'm looking for is build quality and the K95 with the aluminium frame is what really attracts me.

Long story short: any other OP build quality keyboards that come with brown switches? Any help appreciated, current price on K95 is £170 so I'm not looking at anything more expensive than this. ($220/€197/VEF55,081,592.65)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

14 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Exactly! I've made two to test out lube VS no lube, and adding lube is day and night. Unfortunately I keep putting off making them and since I want to lube them, I would like to get a lubing station.

I have no words.. we are lubing keyboards?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

31 minutes ago, zeros said:

I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard because my current one is going out of action.

My favorite one so far is the K95 from corsair with brown switches, though I really only tried the speed and red switches in stores.. can't even remember what they feel like anymore, what I'm trying to say is that the switches won't really matter much but I do like the idea that the browns are more silent. My current keyboard is on the heavy side and after one A4 page writing I can already feel it.

What I'm looking for is build quality and the K95 with the aluminium frame is what really attracts me.

Long story short: any other OP build quality keyboards that come with brown switches? Any help appreciated, current price on K95 is £170 so I'm not looking at anything more expensive than this. ($220/€197/VEF55,081,592.65)

No other preferences? Like macros, rgb, no rgb? Numpad is a must? I personally would recommend this one https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4332

If you need to lube your switches (no, the other kind of lube, you filthy mind ?), you probably have chosen the wrong switches.

Write in C.

16 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

If you need to lube your switches (no, the other kind of lube, you filthy mind ?), you probably have chosen the wrong switches.

Many keyboard enthusiasts lube quite high end switches, to make them feel even better than they already are. Lubing also reduces spring noise. Lubing stabs is also a thing, which helps quite a lot. 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Many keyboard enthusiasts lube quite high end switches

"Many people shoot themselves in the foot."

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Lubing also reduces spring noise

If your switches are too loud for whatever purpose, you chose the wrong switches.

Write in C.

1 minute ago, Dat Guy said:

If your switches are too loud for whatever purpose, you chose the wrong switches.

Spring noise happens with all switches, including silenced ones. Many also dislike the sound of the spring, but like the rest of the sound from the switch. 

2 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

"Many people shoot themselves in the foot."

Your point being...?

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Spring noise happens with all switches

Never heard that on Alps.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Your point being...?

You argued that the assumption that "many keyboard enthusiasts" do a stupid thing automatically makes that thing less stupid.

Write in C.