Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
17 hours ago, the pokemon kid said:

Looks pretty nice! Any shots of the whole board?

I'll send pictures once I'm done cleaning the switches. My ultrasonic cleaner should come tommorow, so that's good.

26 minutes ago, ramencupofjoy said:

I'll send pictures once I'm done cleaning the switches. My ultrasonic cleaner should come tommorow, so that's good.

I take it that you are taking the stems/ top housings out and then ultrasonic cleaning?

If you are doing that, I suggest to getting some new Alps springs from SPRiT!

Logitech G710+ w/ Cherry Blues & a CM QFR TKL w/ Cherry Blues

my family can't stand me :(

Will be getting some transparent edge keycaps for the 710 soon. Those things look fantastic

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

• 3 weeks later...

Ducky Shine 6 with Browns... My all round favourite for everything. Great RGB control too which is always a bonus. 

Joe

On 6/1/2018 at 6:05 AM, Tsar_Maple said:

Logitech G710+ w/ Cherry Blues & a CM QFR TKL w/ Cherry Blues

my family can't stand me :(

Will be getting some transparent edge keycaps for the 710 soon. Those things look fantastic

I thought the regular 710 was blues, the 710+ was browns?

I had a 710 with blues. I hated the noise so much myself that I took it out back and shot it. Several times. I feel bad for your family, lol.

Yeah the 710+ has MX brown switches, 710 has blues.

I still own a MX Blue board which is the k70, but that doesn't really match up to my Unicomp Model M :3

Although one complaint i have is that the L key for some reason has gone mushy and i don't know how to fix it :(

• 2 weeks later...

Can't help but post this.

IBM Model F AT. Just got done restoring this, though it didn't need much as it was basically in new condition. Pretty much just cleaned the keycaps and the top of the barrel plate. Didn't even have any rust and the foam was perfect.

DSC_0374.thumb.jpg.a6bad4718623cac5130a7439aa5ed8cd.jpg

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Bought a K63 wireless this week, it's weird going from MX Blues to MX Red switches, buuuuuuut I quite like the feel of the Reds & that they are rather quiet, still not as satisfying as a Blue, but this is a really nice board. It was also a fair bit cheaper than the Razer Black Widow Ultimate (2013 model with MX Blues) when it first came out, like I think the Black Widow Ultimate was pushing over $200 AUD, this was about $150.. The K63 also has a wrist rest which the Black Widow did not. Just have to get used to no numpad & need to get my accuracy up a bit, making fewer mistakes now on day 2 with it though.

IMG_3372.thumb.JPG.f4f512fc979c36a4416db79c9171b3a1.JPG

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

On 7/2/2018 at 11:42 PM, Masada02 said:

Can't help but post this.

IBM Model F AT. Just got done restoring this, though it didn't need much as it was basically in new condition. Pretty much just cleaned the keycaps and the top of the barrel plate. Didn't even have any rust and the foam was perfect.

DSC_0374.thumb.jpg.a6bad4718623cac5130a7439aa5ed8cd.jpg

Absolutely beautiful keyboard. No rgb crap or Razer corsair branding. Just a solid mechanical keyboard with amazing build quality and switches. I'm jealous.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:52 AM, Ramen Man said:

Yeah the 710+ has MX brown switches, 710 has blues.

I still own a MX Blue board which is the k70, but that doesn't really match up to my Unicomp Model M :3

Although one complaint i have is that the L key for some reason has gone mushy and i don't know how to fix it :(

A bit late on reply, but yeah my 710+ has Blues. Not sure how, but it does :D

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

so I managed to break the stabilizer inserts on my k65 rgb, does anyone know where I can get replacements?

When my K70 RGB LUX w/MXbrowns died of alcohol poisoning last week (turns out it couldn't handle an entire tall-boy of local beer) I figured I could make it a week with my crap Logitech KB120 emergency backup keyboard so that I could buy on Prime Day. The sale didn't disappoint and I'm not the proud owner of a K95 Plat w/MXspeed.

First time I've had these switches (I had tried them out in a store before). I'm not missing the bump, and actually find it better to type on. Being a little quieter is nice as well.

Sale price was good ($200 CDN), though it came straight out of money I had set aside towards a new chair when the Herman Miller Cosm comes available.

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ͓  i7 6700k ͓  16GB DDR4-3200 ͓  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming

I bought a solid Original Cherry MX-Keyboard 2.0 red switch for $38 USD for working and gaming, there's no game needs more than 4 keys to press at the same time, so 100% anti-ghosting is no need. It is a solid unassuming real mechanical board that is responsive, and feels really nice to type. Size and shape is nowadays standard, so not huge and bulky build, a normal one, with slightly low-profile keys. I really like it!

RGB? well I don't like to show off or bragging, and actually we don't need to look at the keyboard RGB animation while staring at the monitor in the heat of the game alone in our house, whose the one to be showed off to anyway?

And who will twisting his board on the table and mashing with super saiyan 3 strength to bend the board with fingers so they need super stiff military grade metal on their boards, when they only need to press some keys lightly to be productive and having a good gaming session with it?

All the expensive mechanical keyboards only takes your money for your psychological side, not for the main functionality per $ you spent on it. Only multimedia keys are the real additional feature that make sense for me personally. The real functionality of the mechanical board only cost $38 for us to be more productive and having a good gaming sessions. little bit more for multimedia keys, the rest is for our nonsense silly prestige.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to get the K70 with MX Brown but I can't accept the font change. Are there any alternatives I should look at? I need dedicated media keys, palm rest and either white or RGB backlighting with Cherry MX Brown switches.

Is there any valid reason to not buy a Unicomp 122? 

Write in C.

Can I have some help too, so I'm looking for a keyboard that's quiet and good at gaming and typing.

I've heard that the MX Browns are nice, but I need the Pros opinions ?

8 hours ago, Edward Wijaya said:

Can I have some help too, so I'm looking for a keyboard that's quiet and good at gaming and typing.

I've heard that the MX Browns are nice, but I need the Pros opinions ?

I'm not a pro, but I'd say your best bet is to just try some boards out with different switches and see what you like. You can also get sample boards on ebay but they won't really give you a real world idea of the typing/gaming experience, just how the switch sounds/feels.

Also, if you're looking for "quiet", you're going to be disappointed with most mechanical keyboards. When a switch is advertised as being "silent" thats only referring to the actual internals of the switch. Even though the switch itself might be "silent", you'll get a lot of sound from the keys bottoming out and when they reset. You can soften the sound of bottoming out by using o rings but thats only half the story.

You can also get Cherry MX Silent switches now which are pretty much a red switch that dampens the sound of bottoming out and resetting but its not tactile at all so you might not like them if you're looking for tactility.

13 hours ago, Edward Wijaya said:

quiet and good at gaming and typing

Cherry Red or Brown, probably. For typing I totally recommend clicky switches (Cherry blue) though, and they are adequate for gaming.

Write in C.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:10 PM, Dat Guy said:

Is there any valid reason to not buy a Unicomp 122? 

Eh, not really, especially if you need it black. Otherwise, a decent original IBM example would be a little nicer, but probably cost a little more. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

I could perfectly live with a nicotine-yellowish IBM (especially the F one, despite its weird keyboard layout), but "a little more" is highly underestimated - that's why I was asking...

Thank you, I'll do so then!

Write in C.

1 hour ago, Masada02 said:

Eh, not really, especially if you need it black. Otherwise, a decent original IBM example would be a little nicer, but probably cost a little more. 

Or... you could just get a keyboard with MX Blues

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

I could perfectly live with a nicotine-yellowish IBM (especially the F one, despite its weird keyboard layout), but "a little more" is highly underestimated - that's why I was asking...

Thank you, I'll do so then!

There's an IBM silver badge M122 on eBay for $79 with free shipping currently. You'd have to buy a Soarer's Converter for it though, so another $40, but still not bad. F ATs have been going for around $180 in un-restored condition recently. F XTs are really cheap still, but that layout is so terrible it's hard to justify.

But really though, any buckling spring keyboard is going to be nice to type on so go for whatever makes the most sense for you.

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Or... you could just get a keyboard with MX Blues

nah, I'll pass.

Fellas

How rare is my particular model M?

Part number 1390120, made on 22 November '86.

It has no indicator LEDs but otherwise seems like a standard silver logo model M. Its in REMARKABLY good condition.

Most IBMs on eBay are artificially modified to use the ANSI layout which I can't stand. Sorry, several decades of ISO here. :)

Write in C.