Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
55 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I would think a clear stem in a Zealios housing would achieve that much better. The smoothness of a Zealios primarily comes from the fact that the housings are made of a different kind of plastic. And the tactile bump on the arms of a clear stem is ever so slightly larger than on a Zealios stem. 

You would think that, however its actually the opposite. The stem on a cherry clear is very round in comparison to the Zealio stem. You get a much bigger bump but the switch feels way scratchier. I have Clears in Zealio housings on my Clueboard.

Also the stems are slightly wobbly in these as Zealio housings are basically a gateron top with a custom bottom and Gaterons are known for beeing wobbly.

8 minutes ago, the pokemon kid said:

You would think that, however its actually the opposite. The stem on a cherry clear is very round in comparison to the Zealio stem. You get a much bigger bump but the switch feels way scratchier. I have Clears in Zealio housings on my Clueboard.

Also the stems are slightly wobbly in these as Zealio housings are basically a gateron top with a custom bottom and Gaterons are known for beeing wobbly.

I'll have to make one of each and try it. What kind of spring are you using in these?

23 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I'll have to make one of each and try it. What kind of spring are you using in these?

I am using the same springs in both. SPRiT Gold 72g springs which have been lubed. The stems in both switches have also been lubed.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any tips on low profile keycaps for regular MX Switches? Does something like that even exist? I'm completely happy with my Masterkeys S, but low profile caps would be really nice.

39 minutes ago, White_Helix said:

Are there any tips on low profile keycaps for regular MX Switches? Does something like that even exist? I'm completely happy with my Masterkeys S, but low profile caps would be really nice.

I totally agree. And I have the same keyboard, LOL.

I think there's some Cherry keyboard that has low-profile keycaps, but I've never come across one, new or used. I can't remember the model number, but if I find it I'll let you know.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

@White_Helix Ah ha! Found it:

Image result for low profile cherry mx keycaps

These are the LP keycaps vs regular keycaps, but a quick search on eBay.ca found basically nothing.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

That looks really interesting, a shame that those seem to be not sold separately. I guess there are no custom keycaps in that size? That would be really awesome. Maybe I get myself a Tesoro Gram XS if they release it as TKL too. Getting a full-size for work and a TKL for the home office would be really awesome, but my wife would totally kill me. Her face, when she saw me looking at the Logitech Craft, said everything :ph34r:

Been having my eye on the Matias Pro Click mech keyboard with simplified White Alps i believe, does anybody know much about it and how good it is in person?

Woop, picked up a used Cherry G80-3000 with MX Blues for $16! First mechanical, its way different but it's awesome :'D

On 8.1.2018 at 7:51 PM, 5narkY said:

Rocking a Logitech G613 Wireless. First mechanical keyboard after testing and debating over quite a few. So far I love it!!! I know it doesn't have the Cherry MX switches, but so far the Romer G switches have impressed me.

interesting i was waiting a long time for a reputable brand to make a wireless mechanical. if you dont mind me asking: are the switches particularly loud? wouldnt want my mic to pick them up. alos hows the battery life?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 2/17/2018 at 4:17 PM, White_Helix said:

Nothing really exists in a true low profile, other than what you've been shown from the G80-3800 in a previous post. The demand unfortunately doesn't justify any sets to be made. Devlin makes the L-series keycaps (basically the ones that go on the G80), but only offer 1x1 sizes on their website for inquiries. 

The closest you'd get to low profile is Cherry profile, or the uniformity of DSA, which some people liken to "low" profile. 

common_keys.png

What keyboard would require the least amount of force (I have joint pain) and not be intentionally loud.  I tried the Corsair Strafe RGB MX keyboard, but not only did it require more force than any other keyboard I've used (they've all been membrane), it felt like the keys were scraping against the sides.  It sounded like you lightly scratching your fingernail across a key.  I was hoping for something smooth.  I hope I'm not asking for the moon here.  I'd just like something quiet-ish that doesn't hurt my hands.

Those RBG keys were pretty damn cool though. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

What keyboard would require the least amount of force (I have joint pain) and not be intentionally loud.  I tried the Corsair Strafe RGB MX keyboard, but not only did it require more force than any other keyboard I've used (they've all been membrane), it felt like the keys were scraping against the sides.  It sounded like you lightly scratching your fingernail across a key.  I was hoping for something smooth.  I hope I'm not asking for the moon here.  I'd just like something quiet-ish that doesn't hurt my hands.

Those RBG keys were pretty damn cool though. xD

MX Speeds are the switches I think you're looking for. Try those.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

38 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

MX Speeds are the switches I think you're looking for. Try those.

I'll find a keyboard on display, thanks.  Is the scraping sound/feeling normal?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'll find a keyboard on display, thanks.  Is the scraping sound/feeling normal?

Scraping sound? I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. If you've tried MX Reds, they feel like that, but you don't have to push them as far down.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Scraping sound? I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. If you've tried MX Reds, they feel like that, but you don't have to push them as far down.

As I said in my first post, on the keyboard I tried, pressing each key made a small scraping noise. Lightly scratch your fingernail against a key and you'll get an idea of what I mean.  It wasn't smooth.  You could feel it a little.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

As I said in my first post, on the keyboard I tried, pressing each key made a small scraping noise. Lightly scratch your fingernail against a key and you'll get an idea of what I mean.  It wasn't smooth.  You could feel it a little.

Cherry switches. That's just how they are. Try something with Gateron switches. Or lube them. 

I'm using the now discontinued Corsair K95 RGB , cherry MX Reds, extended layout(normal 102 key plus 18 macro keys)

Just a quick question, what do you guys clean your keycaps with? Mine get oily rather quickly

____________ Main PC ____________

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H

RAM: 32GB Mushkin ECO2 Advanced

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti 011G RGB

SSD: 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus

HDD: 3TB Segate Barracuda

Case: Rosewill Rise Glow

Cooling: 3x Corsair LL120 RGB, 

2x Rosewill 140mm fans, 2x Cooler Master 120mm fans

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

Headset: Corsair VOID Wireless RGB

Mousepad: Corsair MM800 Polaris RGB

Monitors: 3x LG 24" IPS, 22" HP, 45" Samsung OLED TV

____________ LAN rig ____________

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

Mobo: Dell OEM motherboard (cringe)

RAM: 8GB generic DDR3

GPU: GT 640 4GB

HDD: 500GB Segate FireCuda SSHD

Case: Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF chassis

11 minutes ago, Jackpen7 said:

I'm using the now discontinued Corsair K95 RGB , cherry MX Reds, extended layout(normal 102 key plus 18 macro keys)

Just a quick question, what do you guys clean your keycaps with? Mine get oily rather quickly

Soapy water and a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

19 hours ago, geo3 said:

Cherry switches. That's just how they are. Try something with Gateron switches. Or lube them. 

Well if I got Gateron switches, which would match my criteria I mentioned earlier. Also, where should I get lube? 

4 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well if I got Gateron switches, which would match my criteria I mentioned earlier. Also, where should I get lube? 

Gateron linear clears are some of the lightest switches you can get. Although if you would prefer a tactile switch then Gateron brown, 62g Zealios, or MOD-L are your go to switches. If you want clicky I don't know, most of them are on the heavier side. 

Lubing guide with links to tools, including lube.

was thinking id build a keyboard myself, just because it sounds fun, what id like is a navles layout like the Masterkeys M. switches would have to be something medium weight, around browns but preferably more tactile/clicky, was thinking Kaihua box jades, but they have problems with sticking so i think they are out of the running. i dont really know much about building myself, but i know how to solder and so on, got most tools i could think id need. 

basically i want recomendations for switches, frames and whatever else i need to build a keyboard myself for as little as possible(switches can cost whatever if i want them, so ignore that as a cost).

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

50 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

was thinking id build a keyboard myself, just because it sounds fun, what id like is a navles layout like the Masterkeys M. switches would have to be something medium weight, around browns but preferably more tactile/clicky, was thinking Kaihua box jades, but they have problems with sticking so i think they are out of the running. i dont really know much about building myself, but i know how to solder and so on, got most tools i could think id need. 

basically i want recomendations for switches, frames and whatever else i need to build a keyboard myself for as little as possible(switches can cost whatever if i want them, so ignore that as a cost).

That particular layout layout is hard to come by, even more so for custom keyboards. A quick look through the usual sources came up with nothing. If you're ok with 60%, 75%, TKL or even full size I can point you at some good options though.

My switch recommendations based on your criteria for purely tactile would be 62g 65g or 67g Zealios or MOD-L / MOD-M switches or Cherry Clears with a swapped springs. For clicky I'd say to go for the Kailh Pro Light Green or Kailh Box White

As for all the stuff you'll need:

PCB,

Top Plate,

Case,

Switches,

Stabilizers,

Keycaps.

6 hours ago, geo3 said:

That particular layout layout is hard to come by, even more so for custom keyboards. A quick look through the usual sources came up with nothing. If you're ok with 60%, 75%, TKL or even full size I can point you at some good options though.

My switch recommendations based on your criteria for purely tactile would be 62g 65g or 67g Zealios or MOD-L / MOD-M switches or Cherry Clears with a swapped springs. For clicky I'd say to go for the Kailh Pro Light Green or Kailh Box White

As for all the stuff you'll need:

PCB,

Top Plate,

Case,

Switches,

Stabilizers,

Keycaps.

Preference in layout for me goes: 

Navless

Full

75%

60%

A mouse keyboard

TKL

xD

Il check out the switches you recommended, thanks

Know where I could get those parts the cheapest? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Preference in layout for me goes: 

Navless

Full

75%

60%

A mouse keyboard

TKL

xD

Il check out the switches you recommended, thanks

Know where I could get those parts the cheapest? 

Lol! Stumbled across a navless while looking up these other guys. Putting it here at the top

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/xiudi-xd96-pcb-90-Custom-Mechanical-Keyboard-Supports-TKG-TOOLS-Underglow-RGB-PCB-programmed-kle-Kimera/3034003_32847720897.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.716e7919v67iRd

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Anodized-Aluminium-case-for-xd96-xiudi-custom-keyboard-acrylic-panels-diffuser-can-support-Rotary-brace-supporter/3034003_32847776184.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.d8101a55KnK62Q

Full:

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/78-nerd-108-pcb-ver15.html

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/84-acrylic-housing-for-nerd-108.html

75%

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/pcb/products/kbdfans-75-pcb-75

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/case/products/kbdfans75-aluminum-case-75-layout

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keyboard-part/products/kbdfans75-aluminum-plate

Another 75%

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/xd84-75-eepw84-Custom-Mechanical-Keyboard-Supports-TKG-TOOLS-Underglow-RGB-PCB-programmed-kle-Kimera-core/32819790747.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/stainless-steel-bent-case-for-xd84-eepw84-75-custom-keyboard-enclosed-case-upper-and-lower-case/3034003_32821807795.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.45491a554dlqt2

60%

https://1upkeyboards.com/clear-plastic-base.html

https://1upkeyboards.com/gh60-satan-pcb.html

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keyboard-part/products/cnc-60-aluminum-plate

Switches:

Zealios: https://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/zealio

MOD: https://www.originativeco.com/products/mod-switch

Kailh: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switches

Cherry Clear: http://www.switchtop.com/product/cherry-mx-switches & Springs: http://www.switchtop.com/product/sprit-custom-mx-switch-springs

Stabelizers:

https://1upkeyboards.com/clear-cherry-pcb-mount-stabilizers.html

Caps:

https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/keycaps/

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/keysets/

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=40